FEC Condemns Attack On Ado Bayero

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday condemned the last Saturday’s attack on the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero.

The Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero

Addressing State House correspondents on the outcome of the weekly FEC meeting which was presided over by Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Information, Labaran Maku, said the Council particularly commiserated with the emir over the incident, which led to the death of four people.

He said Council condemned in totality the attempt on the emir’s life and the killing of innocent people during the attack.

“Also today, the Federal Executive Council commiserated with the Emir of Kano over the incident where he was attacked by unknown gunmen in Kano, leading to the lost of his staff.

“We hold the Emir of Kano in high esteem. He has been one Nigerian who has been highly cosmopolitan.

“The Emir of Kano, for the period he has led Kano, has brought in international exposure, rare leadership to the people of Kano.

I also know that his period has coincided with a lot of expansion in the development of Kano.

“He is one of the rare leaders in this country that believes completely in Nigeria’s unity and he has continued to work with all leaders in the country and to ensure the unity of country, peace and stability in our nation.

“We, therefore, condemned in totality the attempt on his life and we will continue to pray for him to recover from this incident and continue to serve the people of Kano and the people of Nigeria.”

Mr Maku reiterated the determination of the government to hunt, apprehend and prosecute all those behind the attack.

He called on all Nigerians to continue to support the ongoing battle against religious extremists bent on creating social disorder in the country.

Attack on Bayero: Dialogue Is Solution To Insecurity – Reps

Following last week’s attack on the Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, the House of Representatives has called on the executive arm of government to open avenues for dialogue as a means to address the security challenges confronting the country.

In a motion presented by a lawmaker representing Kano state, Bashir Galadanchi, the House noted that the approaches being employed by the government to curb insecurity has not been effective.

The house resolved that the executive should initiate programmes that will promote the rule of law and address the factors that fuel insecurity and violent extremism.

The lawmakers commiserated will the Emir of Kano and the families of those who lost their lives in the attack on the Emir.

Jonathan Vows To Catch Attackers Of Ado Bayero

President Goodluck Jonathan on Monday said he would stop at nothing in bringing to justice those responsible for the attack on the Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero, which claimed the lives of four of his aides last Saturday.

In a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Reuben Abati, the president, who noted that the attack on the Emir underscored the need for all Nigerians to be vigilant to the security challenge posed by terrorist group in the country, said the attack was senseless in all ramifications.

He said, “Once again, terrorism reared its ugly head when gunmen attacked the revered Emir of Kano Alhaji Ado Bayero on Saturday 19 January 2013.

The unfortunate incident which led to the regrettable death of three persons including three of his security guards and his driver underscored the continuing need for collective vigilance to defeat the scourge of terrorism which has crept into our environment.

“While we condemn this in the strongest possible terms, this once again underlines the senselessness of terrorism in all its ramifications.

“While we reiterate our determination to address all genuine grievances in the national polity, we want to emphasize that the Federal Government of Nigeria will not succumb to the threat of terrorism and utter disregard for human lives by purveyors of violence.

“President Jonathan commiserates with the families of those who lost their lives in the incident, and assures Nigerians that the security agencies will do everything possible to ensure that the perpetrators of this heinous act are identified, and brought to justice according to the laws of the land.”

Emir Of Kano Flown To London

The Emir of Kano, Ado Bayero along with two of his injured sons and some aides have been flown to the United Kingdom a day after his convoy was attacked on his way back to his Palace after attending a Quranic recitation competition.

Channels Television’s correspondent in Kano reported that the Emir left the Mallam Aminu Kano International Airport, Kano in a private jet which took off around 1:15 p.m. on Sunday.

The Emir is travelling on a day that the Kano State Police Command said that the death toll in Saturday’s attack had risen to five.

The spokesman of the Kano State Police command, Magaji Majie said that the Interim Chairman of Kura Local Government Area, Salisu Abdulahhi Kura and his driver, who left the convoy in the confusion that followed the attack were trailed by the gunmen in a cab and killed in a nearby street.

Security has been tightened in Kano as armed soldiers and policemen patrol the streets and intensify their search on vehicles at checkpoints in the city.

The Kano state Deputy Governor, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje said some suspects have been arrested in connection with the attack. He however refused to give the figure of those arrested.

At least five people were killed, including the emir’s driver and orderly, while several others were wounded in Saturday’s attack on the Emir’s convoy.

UPDATE: Five Dead As Emir of Kano Is Attacked By Gunmen

Gunmen have attacked the convoy of the Emir of Kano, Alhaji Ado Bayero.

The attack took place near the Hockey Field on Zoo Road by Total Gasoline station while the Emir was returning from the launching of an Islamic school at Mussalaci Murtala.

The Emir was unhurt in the attack and has since been moved to an undisclosed location.

The gunmen, around 12 noon, attacked the convoy of the Emir killing his driver, his orderly and a traditional guard who tried to protect him, and wounding two of his sons who were also in his  convoy.

The Interim Management Officer of Kumbotso local government who was in one of the vehicles that tried to escape when the attack began was also killed along with two others in his company.

Two of the Emir’s sons, the Turakin Kano and the Ciroman Kano, Alh. Sunusi Ado Bayero were said to have sustained injuries and have been taken to the hospital for treatment.

So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Kano Emirate cancels this year’s Durbar

The office of the Emir of Kano on Thursday said that this year’s celebration of the end of Ramadan has been cancelled because the traditional ruler is too ill to take part.

The Durbar celebration is a centuries-old procession of traditional leaders who ride lavishly decorated horses to greet the emir.

It said in a statement that 82-year-old Emir Ado Bayero was recently hospitalized in the U.K. It gave no other details.

Some residents have however blamed growing sectarian violence for the cancellation. Radical Islamist sect, Boko Haram has killed hundreds of people in northern Nigeria this year, with a January attack on Kano claiming 185 lives.

Police announced on Wednesday that they defused 900 explosives in Kano over the past six months.

The Durbar celebration is a centuries-old procession of traditional leaders who ride lavishly decorated horses to greet the emir. This is its first cancellation in recent memory.