Inter Milan’s Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal is receiving hospital treatment after testing positive for coronavirus, his national team said Monday.
The diagnosis means the 34-year-old will miss Thursday’s World Cup qualifier between Chile and Argentina.
“The medical team of the Chilean national team emphasizes that at the request of the player Arturo Vidal, it is announced that he has been diagnosed positive for Covid,” the national team said on its official website.
It said no other players in the squad had tested positive for the virus.
Vidal was initially hospitalized with severe tonsilitis, but tested positive for coronavirus on Monday, the team statement said.
The former Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Juventus star, who was vaccinated against the virus on Friday, will now miss the Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifier with Argentina and another qualifier against Bolivia next week in Santiago.
Covid-19 infections in Chile remain above 6,000 daily cases and the health system is overwhelmed.
The virus has killed more than 29,000 people out of a total 1.3 million cases in the country.
Inter Milan’s Chilean international midfielder Arturo Vidal is set to undergo surgery for a left knee problem, the Serie A leaders announced on Thursday.
“Arturo Vidal will undergo surgery tomorrow (Friday) for meniscal pain in his left knee,” Inter Milan said in a brief statement.
The 33-year-old former Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen player could be sidelined for up to a month, according to Italian media reports.
Vidal, who has scored two goals in 30 games since moving to Inter from Barcelona last summer, looks set to miss their next three league games against Torino, Sassuolo and Bologna before the international break.
Antonio Conte could recover Vidal for the match against Cagliari on April 11 or Napoli the following week.
Inter are top of the league with a six-point lead on AC Milan as they target a first league title since 2010 with champions Juventus a further four points back in third.
Inter Milan have completed a deal to sign Arturo Vidal from Barcelona for 1 million euros ($1.17 million), the clubs announced on Tuesday.
“Barcelona and Inter Milan have reached an agreement for the transfer of the player Arturo Vidal,” Barca said in a statement.
“The Italian team will pay FC Barcelona 1 million euros in variables.”
After joining in 2018, Vidal played 96 games for the Catalans and scored 11 goals, helping them win La Liga in his first year in Spain.
But the 33-year-old was seen as expendable by the club after their dreadful end to last season, with Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu admitting players would have to leave before new ones could come in.
Vidal will be reunited with Antonio Conte at Inter, the coach he played for at Juventus between 2011 and 2015, before joining Bayern Munich and then Barca.
Inter described the Chilean midfielder as a “warrior”. “From today, Vidal will be on the front line for the Nerazzurri, with the same objectives as ever: fighting, giving it his all, and winning,” the Italian club added.
Barcelona needed a late winner from Arturo Vidal to beat bottom-club Leganes 2-1 on Saturday and dig out a much-needed victory ahead of what could prove a crucial month in their season.
Vidal poked in a fortuitous goal in the 79th minute at Butarque after Luis Suarez headed home a Lionel Messi free-kick to cancel out a brilliant opener from Leganes forward Youssef En-Nesyri.
Barcelona stay top of the table, three points above Real Madrid, who play later on Saturday at home to La Liga’s surprise high-fliers Real Sociedad.
A gritty victory will also come as a relief to under-pressure coach Ernesto Valverde, whose team now turn their attention to Wednesday’s crunch Champions League group game against Borussia Dortmund at Camp Nou.
A goalless draw against Slavia Prague earlier this month means Barca’s qualification from Group F is no longer guaranteed.
After Dortmund, they then play away at Atletico Madrid in La Liga to start a month that will include trips to Inter Milan in the Champions League and Real Sociedad in La Liga before the season’s first Clasico at home to Real Madrid.
It was important therefore to avoid a slip against Leganes, playing their first game in front of their own fans since appointing Javier Aguirre as coach.
“It was a big win because the game was very difficult,” Valverde said. “The pitch was dreadful, there was a lot of wind and they scored early.
“I don’t want it to sound like an excuse but it made it hard and still we were able to win. It wasn’t a brilliant game but these are the ones you have to win to win the title.”
The home side made the perfect start as En-Nesyri beat Gerard Pique with a wonderful early striker.
Pique has spent the international break juggling football with the Davis Cup, the revamped tennis tournament in Madrid that he is organising through his marketing company Kosmos.
“There is more noise outside the club than inside,” said Pique after the match. “I think it’s got a bit out of hand – whether I’m in Madrid, eating here, having dinner there – it’s all part of the circus. But I do my job. I come here, I play football. And that’s it.”
Doubts about the defender’s focus would not have been allayed in the opening quarter of an hour.
One pass from Roque Mesa was enough to set En-Nesyri free against the 32-year-old in the 12th minute.
Pique jostled but was taken by surprise as En-Nesyri nipped inside and bent a shot into the far corner. Leganes might have had a second soon after and Pique would have been at fault, the defender allowing Martin Braithwaite in after failing to clear, but Oscar Rodriguez was unable to capitalise.
Crosses were a weakness for Leganes as three Barcelona headers all could have gone in. Suarez went close. Pique hit the post. Then Suarez did find the net, glancing in Messi’s clipped free-kick for his ninth goal of the season.
Barca’s second owed much to luck but it came from another cross. Pique rose to head in but the ball missed him and cannoned off the foot of Ruben Perez. Vidal was waiting on the line to prod in.
Barcelona midfielder Arturo Vidal has been hit with an 800,000 euros ($921,812) fine by a Munich court after being found guilty of assault during a nightclub fight last year.
Munich district court fined the Chile international based on 80 days worth of wages, calculated to be 10,000 euros per day for the Barcelona player, who left Bayern Munich in August after three years with the German giants.
The 31-year-old was not in court in Munich to hear the judge’s verdict as he played in Chile’s 1-0 win over Mexico on Wednesday, which “professionally prevented” his appearance in Bavaria, his lawyer said.
Vidal and his half-brother were both found guilty after attacking another man at Munich’s Crowns Club in September 2017, which was reportedly caught on security camera.
Vidal’s half-sibling Sandrino, 25, was fined 18,000 euros, based on 120 days salary at 150 euros per day — a higher penalty because he also threw a glass during the incident.
Since joining Barcelona Vidal has struggled for game time in the star-studded midfield, only twice being included in the starting line-up in eight Spanish league matches.
Barcelona announced Friday that they had reached an agreement with Bayern Munich to sign Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal in a deal reportedly worth 30 million euros ($35 million).
“FC Barcelona and FC Bayern Munich have reached an agreement for the transfer of player Arturo Vidal,” said Barcelona on their website.
“The agreement is for the next three seasons and is pending the medical examination that the player will undertake over the course of the next few days.
“FC Barcelona will shortly inform everyone about the arrival of the player and the agenda of the presentation ceremony.”
Vidal, 31, was whisked away from Bayern’s pre-season training base on Friday morning with the club’s director of sport Hasan Salihamidzic to finalise the details.
Vidal will reportedly earn around nine million euros per season with the Spanish giants.
His arrival will make up for the surprise departure of Brazilian midfielder Paulinho, who Barcelona loaned to Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande.
Barcelona had to move fast to sign Vidal as the player had also reportedly sparked interest from Inter Milan following the departure of their French midfielder Adrien Rabiot.
Temperamental on and off the pitch, Vidal’s last season with Bayern was marked by injuries, including one to his knee which he picked up during training and which forced him to undergo surgery in April.
Vidal is the Barcelona’s fourth signing since the end of the last season following the arrival of Brazilian forward Malcolm, Brazilian midfielder Arthur and French defender Clement Lenglet.
The Chilean international joined Bayern Munich in 2015 from Juventus, and won the Bundesliga title in each of his three seasons at the club.
German champions Bayern have been keen to trim their star-studded squad.
Having signed Germany international Leon Goretzka, 23, on a free transfer from Schalke, Bayern chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said earlier this week that they had too many midfielders.
Arturo Vidal is out for the rest of the season, Bayern Munich announced Tuesday a day after confirming the Chile midfielder will miss next week’s crunch Champions League semi-final clash at home to holders Real Madrid.
The 30-year-old Vidal limped out of training with a knee injury on Sunday and underwent minor surgery on Monday.
Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes had hoped Vidal could be fit for their European clash against Real next Wednesday or the return leg in Madrid on May 1.
But Bayern revealed Tuesday the injury is worse than first thought. A loose piece of the knee joint was removed and Vidal’s meniscus was repaired, said a statement.
“Arturo Vidal will be out for the rest of the season,” Bayern said.
Losing the tough-tackling midfielder for forthcoming key games is a blow to Bayern’s hunt for the treble including Tuesday’s German Cup semi-final against his old club Bayer Leverkusen.
A cup victory in Leverkusen would put Bayern in the May 19 final in Berlin — another step towards repeating their 2013 treble.
The Bavarian giants have already secured a sixth consecutive Bundesliga title, holding a massive 20-point lead over Schalke at the top of the table with four games remaining.
Meanwhile, Bayern have announced they will play pre-season friendlies against Paris Saint Germain in Klagenfurt, Austria, plus games against Juventus and Manchester City in July on a tour of the USA.
Chelsea Football Club has announced the appointment of Antonio Conte as First Team Head Coach.
Conte, who is currently the manager of the Italy national side, has signed a three-year contract. He will begin work in London following his country’s participation in this summer’s Euro 2016 tournament.
The 46-year-old said: “I am very excited about the prospect of working at Chelsea Football Club. I am proud to be the coach of the national team of my country and only a role as attractive as manager of Chelsea could follow that.
“I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the club and the day-to-day challenge of competing in the Premier League.
“Chelsea and English football are watched wherever you go, the fans are passionate and my ambition is to have more success to follow the victories I enjoyed in Italy.
“I am happy we have made the announcement now so everything is clear and we can end the speculation. I will continue to focus on my job with the Italian national team and will reserve speaking about Chelsea again until after the Euros.”
Conte will be the fifth Italian to manage Chelsea, following on from Gianluca Vialli, Claudio Ranieri, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Di Matteo. In common with the first three of those names, he was formerly at Juventus, in his case as both a player and a manager.
Having played more than 400 games for the Italian giants, Conte’s three years in charge of the team between 2011 and 2014 yielded three straight Serie A titles – Juventus’s first league championships in eight years and their first three-in-a-row since the early 1930s. They had finished seventh the two seasons prior to Conte.
The Bianconeri also won two Italian Super Cups with him in charge. Andrea Pirlo, Paul Pogba, Carlos Tevez and Arturo Vidal were among his signings during a spell so productive he was named Serie A Coach of the Year in all three seasons there.
Chelsea Director Marina Granovskaia said, “We are very pleased to have recruited one of the most highly regarded managers in world football and we are equally pleased to do so before the end of the current season. This aids our future planning.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Guus Hiddink, who has done a great job since he joined us in December.”
Chelsea Chairman Bruce Buck added, “Antonio Conte has a record of consistent success in his career as a manager and as a player. We look forward to welcoming him to Stamford Bridge and are confident he will find all he needs to maintain that high standard of achievement.”
German Bundesliga side, Bayern Munich, have confirmed the signing of Arturo Vidal after agreeing a deal believed to be €37 million fee with the Serie A champions, Juventus.
Vidal, who helped Chile to win the Copa America, signed a four-year deal with the Bavarian after successfully undergoing medical.
Sport Director, Matthias Sammer, told reporters during the unveiling of Vidal in Munich on Tuesday, that the Chilean signed a contract until 2019 and it contains an option for another year.
Vidal, who has 69 caps for Chile, won four consecutive Serie A titles and one Coppa Italia, as well as helping the club reach May’s Champions League final, where they were beaten by Barcelona.
“I’m very happy,” Vidal told Bayern’s official website. “This is a new step in my career and I hope I do well here. I want to help the team and win trophies. It’s a dream come true for me personally.
Vidal had been a target for the Bavarians when he joined Juve from Bayer Leverkusen for €12.5m in 2011, and Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge strongly criticised the player at the time for opting to move to Turin.
The midfielder, could make his debut in the German Supercup against Wolfsburg on Saturday.
Host nation, Chile, won the Copa America for the first time in the 99-year history of the tournament, after they beat Argentina 4-1 on penalties.
The game produced few chances in regulation time with the best coming in when Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez volley went wide in the 83rd minute.
In the 92nd minute, Argentina had a huge opportunity to seal the win, but Gonzalo Higuain could only find the side net after a beautiful interplay between Lionel Messi and Ezequiel Lavezzi.
The game went into penalty after extra-time ended goalless and only Messi converted his own shot with Higuain and Ever Banega missing from the spot, while Sanchez converted his spot kick to send the home crowd into wild jubilation.
Expressing his delight, the Chile Midfielder, Arturo Vidal, said: ”This is something so nice for all the Chilean people.
”We Chileans needed a triumph, something like this Cup, today we took an incredible step, we’re America’s best”
He also told reporters that they (the team) will fight a lot in the next World Cup.