Military Hands Over 183 Repentant Teenage Boko Haram Fighters To UN

Some of the teenage Boko Haram fighters handed over by the military to the UN for rehabilitation on Monday, July 9, 2018.

The Nigerian Army has handed over 183 teenagers who were previously working with Boko Haram terrorists to the United Nations.

The teenagers were on Monday handed over to officials of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital for rehabilitation and re-integration.

The Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Nicholas Rogers released the teenagers who include 175 male and eight female.

Major General Rogers during the handing over noted that they were arrested from various locations within the northeast.

President Muhammadu Buhari earlier in March 2018 promised that the Federal Government will offer amnesty to members of the Boko Haram sect that are willing to drop their arms.

He made this promise while receiving freed schoolgirls who were previously abducted from their school in Dapchi, Yobe State by Boko Haram terrorists.

He said, “While further efforts are being made to secure the release of every abducted citizen in Nigeria, Government is ever ready to accept the unconditional laying down of arms by any member of the Boko Haram group, who show strong commitment in that regard.”

Also, 95 former Boko Haram terrorists were recently reintegrated into the Nigerian society after a series of training, vocational skills acquisition, and rehabilitation courses,

The repentant terrorists were trained by the Nigerian Army wing charged with the responsibility of Deracialising, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) in Gombe State.

They were rehabilitated by instructors from departments and agencies from the Federal Government and the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) with the aim of retraining them to become law-abiding citizens.

See more pictures of the teenage repentant fighters…

Boko Haram Leader, Shekau Reappears In Video

Boko Haram Leader, Shekau Reappears In VideoBoko Haram Leader, Abubakar Shekau, has reportedly reappeared in a new video in which he dismisses claims that many of his members have been killed.

According to the AFP, Shekau released a 27-minute video in which he spoke for about 20 minutes in Hausa and Kanuri, criticising the countries in the Lake Chad area fighting the group under the Multinational Joint Task Force.

He is said to have singled out Cameroon which reportedly announced on Wednesday that its soldiers killed about 60 Boko Haram fighters and arrested scores of others, while freeing about 5000 hostages.

Speaking in the video, Shekau reportedly described the claim as a lie, insisting that his so-called caliphate was ‘running smoothly’.

The militant leader also claimed responsibility for the suicide bombings recorded in Northeast Nigeria in recent time, including the last attack in Maiduguri on Wednesday, which killed the four suicide bombers and two other people.

In December 2016, he released a video in which he also denounced the announcement by the Nigerian Military that troops had flushed out his fighters from their stronghold in Sambisa forest in northern Borno State.

Army Clears Air On Video Clip Of Alleged Maltreatment Of Soldiers

Army, Video Clip, Maltreatment of SoldiersThe attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to a video clip which went viral on social media of soldiers alleging lack of food and water.

In a statement signed by the Acting Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the force said:

“We wish to state that the video clip was shot more than six months ago by some mischievous and disgruntled elements when 29 Task Force Brigade captured Alagarno Forest and environs in Borno State.

“It is disheartening that some mischievous elements have decided to circulate it now, creating the false impression that it is a recent occurrence.

“We wish to state further that the matter was conclusively investigated at the time, several months ago. The Board of Inquiry actually showed that, as at the time of the incident, the unit’s water tanker still contained water, but a soldier mischievously concealed it. That soldier was charged and punished accordingly.

“In addition to the unit’s water tanker, a borehole was subsequently drilled at the location and it is still serving both the military and adjoining communities.

“We wish to restate with utmost concern the continued commitment of the Nigerian Army to the total welfare of all its personnel,” the statement read.

 

Military Battles Boko Haram Near Bauchi

Boko Haram Attack GombeNigerian troops on Sunday engaged scores of Boko Haram fighters in a fire fight near the city of Bauchi, North East Nigeria.

The AFP reports that Soldiers supported by two fighter jets intercepted the militants who were in 20 pick-up trucks at Dungulbe village, seven kilometres from the city, and engaged them in fierce fighting.

The Bauchi battle comes after militants attacked polling stations in Gombe and Yobe States on Saturday, killing at least 11 people.

A resident who fled to Bauchi said the terrorists arrived in Dungulbe village around 10:00 am and set up camp in preparation for an attack on Bauchi.

The militants were believed to have come through the town of Alkaleri. The gunmen in several vehicles attacked public buildings and security checkpoints.

Bauchi State police spokesman, Haruna Mohammed, was quoted to have said that gunmen also attacked some polling stations and destroyed ballot boxes in Bauchi on Sunday.