FA Charges Ronaldo For Smashing Everton Fan’s Phone

In this file photo, Manchester United’s Portuguese striker Cristiano Ronaldo reacts during the English Premier League football match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Manchester United at the American Express Community Stadium in Brighton, southern England on May 7, 2022.
Glyn KIRK / AFP

 

Cristiano Ronaldo was charged with “improper and/or violent” conduct by the English Football Association on Friday for an incident dating back five months.

Footage showed Ronaldo appearing to knock a fan’s mobile phone to the ground after United’s 1-0 defeat at Everton on April 9, for which the Portuguese was cautioned by Merseyside Police.

“Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E3 for an incident that took place after Manchester United FC’s Premier League match against Everton on Saturday 9 April 2022,” said a FA spokesperson.

“It is alleged that the forward’s conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent.”

READ ALSOSuper Eagles’ Goal Is To Win Next AFCON, Says Peseiro

After the incident, which occurred when Ronaldo was making his way towards the tunnel, the 37-year-old issued a social-media apology for his “outburst” and invited the supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford “as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship”.

If found guilty of the charge, Ronaldo could face a ban from upcoming Premier League matches.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner has only started in the league once this season under Erik ten Hag after failing to force a move away from Old Trafford during the transfer window.

In a statement, United said: “We note the FA announcement in relation to Cristiano Ronaldo.

“We will be supporting the player in response to the charge.”

AFP

Two Nigerians Charged Over Internet Scam In Singapore

 

Two Nigerian men believed to be members of an internet love scam syndicate were charged in Singapore on Tuesday with recruiting local women to collect money for them, police said.

Such scams, where victims part with cash after a fraudster feigns romantic interest in them, are a growing concern in the city-state with police reporting 660 cases last year.

The Nigerians — identified in local news reports as Oladayo Opeyemi Awolola, 34, and Gbolahan Ayobami Awolola, 37 — were arrested by Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur last month and sent to Singapore on Monday.

The men allegedly recruited two Singaporean women “as money mules to receive criminal proceeds linked to internet love scams in Singapore” between 2017 and 2018, according to a police statement.

The women received Sg$85,700 ($63,000) during that period and turned the money over to syndicate members in Malaysia, police said.

READ ALSO: Troops Rescue 29 Women, 25 Children From Boko Haram Captivity

The Nigerians could be jailed for up to five years each and fined if convicted.

It is the first time that suspects based overseas and involved in internet love scams have been arrested and sent to Singapore for prosecution, police said.

Most of the internet love scams reported last year in the city-state involved fraudsters claiming to have sent parcels containing luxury items or money.

Their local accomplices would call the “recipients” and claim the parcels were being held by the authorities for inspection, and would only be released if they transferred money to a bank account.

AFP

Sudan’s Ex-President Al-Bashir Charged Over ‘Killing’ Of Protesters

Omar Al-Bashir

 

Sudan’s ousted president Omar al-Bashir has been charged over the killings of protesters during the anti-regime demonstrations that led to the end of his rule, the prosecutor general announced Monday.

“Omar al-Bashir and others have been charged for inciting and participating in the killing of demonstrators,” the office of Sudan’s acting prosecutor general Al-Waleed Sayyed Ahmed said.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Kill Six In Burkina Faso Catholic Church

The charges against Bashir came during an investigation into the death of a medic who had been killed during a protest in the capital’s eastern district of Burri.

“The prosecutor general has recommended speeding up of the investigation of the killing of demonstrators,” the statement from his office said.

AFP

Malaysia Ex-PM, Allies Charged In Latest Graft Cases

Former Malaysia’s prime minister Najib Razak is escorted by police to the courthouse in Kuala Lumpur on October 25, 2018. Malaysia’s former leader Najib Razak and two of his allies will face corruption charges on October 25, as authorities target a growing list of figures linked to the scandal-plagued old regime.photo: MOHD RASFAN / AFP

 

Malaysia’s toppled leader, an ex-finance ministry official and a former spy chief were charged with misusing public funds on Thursday, the latest corruption cases against figures from the scandal-plagued old regime.

Former prime minister Najib Razak has now been hit with 38 charges since losing power, most related to allegations that he and his cronies plundered vast sums from sovereign wealth fund 1MDB.

The scandal played a major part in prompting voters to oust his coalition at elections in May after six decades in power and elect a reformist alliance headed by Mahathir Mohamad.

Najib was jointly charged in a Kuala Lumpur court with Mohamad Irwan Serigar Abdullah — former treasury secretary-general, a key finance ministry position — with misusing 6.6 billion ringgit ($1.6 billion) of public money.

They were charged with six counts of criminal breach of trust over offenses that allegedly took place between December 2016 and December 2017.

They denied all the charges. Four of those related to 1MDB’s dealings with Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund IPIC, the anti-corruption agency said.

The others were overpayments related to two Chinese-backed infrastructure projects — a major rail link and the construction of gas pipelines, Najib’s lawyer Shafee Abdullah said.

He insisted Najib had simply been making payments to avoid defaulting on debts, which would have been disastrous for the economy.

“My conscience is clear,” Najib insisted after being charged, “the decisions taken were taken for the interests of the nation.”

The Chinese-financed projects have been suspended by Mahathir’s government, which suspects the deals were dubious and aimed at raising cash quickly to pay 1MDB debts.

The fund slid into a massive debt hole as huge sums of money were allegedly stolen and used to buy everything from a super-yacht to a high-end real estate and pricey artworks.

The US Department of Justice, which is seeking to seize assets allegedly bought with looted 1MDB money in America, alleges that a total of $4.5 billion was misappropriated from the fund.

Hasanah Abdul Hamid, the former head of a shadowy spy agency which worked directly under Najib, was charged with one count of criminal breach of trust. She is accused of pocketing $12.1 million of public money in the run-up to May’s election.

She denies the accusation. Her lawyer Shaharudin Ali insisted her case was not linked to 1MDB, state news agency Bernama reported.

Najib and his two allies are free on bail.

The former prime minister’s luxury-loving wife, Rosmah Mansor, and the new leader of his party and long-time lieutenant, Ahmad Zahid Hamidi, have also been arrested and charged with corruption in recent weeks

AFP

Kenyan President Tells Supreme Court He Is Still In Charge

Despite the deacon by the Supreme Court to annul his victory in the presidential election, citing irregularities in the vote.

Kenyatta has however spoken out to his fans calling the judges crooks. Telling them he is still the incumbent president.

In August Uhuru Kenyatta won the presidential race by 1.4 million votes.

But opposition leader Raila Odinga filed a petition to the Supreme Court claiming that results from more than a third of polling stations were fatally flawed.

Odinga’s success is the first of its kind in the country. He says the decision marks a victory for democracy in Africa.

A new vote will now have to be held in 60 days time.

Some observers are worried that the decision could lead to political chaos.

The country is east Africa’s biggest economy and has a history of disputed elections and political violence.

Although the ruling spells uncertainty for the country – long term it’s seen as a win for Kenya’s institutions.