Shootout At Chicago Funeral Leaves 14 Wounded

 

A shootout outside a funeral parlour left 14 people wounded Tuesday in Chicago, as President Donald Trump threatens to send federal agents to a handful of US cities led by Democratic mayors.

The incident started when occupants of a vehicle “began firing at attendees of a funeral. At that time the attendees of the funeral exchanged fire,” Chicago deputy police superintendent Eric Carter told reporters.

Shootings have become breathtakingly normal this summer across the United States. A total of 63 people were shot and 12 killed over the weekend in Chicago in ongoing gun violence, according to local media.

Carter said 14 people were wounded in Tuesday’s shooting but did not specify the degree of severity.

“Too many guns are on our streets and in the hands of people who should never possess them,” Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot tweeted after what she called a “horrific mass shooting.”

Trump’s threat to send more military-garbed law enforcement into US cities has mainly been in response to the anti-racism protests rocking the country following the death of African-American George Floyd at the hands of a white Minneapolis police officer in May.

After the Department of Homeland Security deployed scores of Border Patrol police and federal marshals — many in combat fatigues — to Portland, Oregon last week, Trump said he could do the same in other Democrat-led cities like Chicago and New York.

“Under no circumstances will I allow Donald Trump’s troops to come to Chicago and terrorize our residents,” mayor Lightfoot tweeted late Tuesday.

According to reports, DHS was preparing to send 150 paramilitary personnel to Chicago after police there clashed with demonstrators seeking to tear down a statue of Christopher Columbus.

Trump called the move necessary, even claiming Chicago was “worse than Afghanistan.”

The president has also singled out Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland as potential cities for sending federal agents.

On Monday, the mayors of six major cities — Atlanta, Washington, Seattle, Chicago, Portland and Kansas City — said in a letter to Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad Wolf and Attorney General Bill Barr that the uninvited paramilitary deployments violate the Constitution.

We Have Quite A Number Of People In Prison For Drugs In Indonesia – Abike Dabiri

 

The Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri-Erewa, has said that many Nigerians are in prison for drug-related crimes in Indonesia.

She disclosed this on Friday in an interview with Channels Television, while addressing the recent attack by Nigerians on the Nigerian embassy in Indonesia.

While stating that she had no prior knowledge of any problems that may have existed with Nigerians in Indonesia, she said she was only aware of the drug-related issues in the country.

“Maybe they’ve had issues with the mission and were talking to the minister, I don’t know, but all I know is, in Indonesia, we have quite a number of people in prison for drugs,” Dabiri-Erewa said.

Read Also: We’ve Lost Close To 40 Nigerians To COVID-19 In Diaspora – Abike Dabiri

“In Indonesia, the penalty for drugs is death. So that’s the case we are dealing with…appealing to them not to kill them but they said that is their law but (asides that) there hasn’t been any particular contact with the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission about problems in Indonesia”.

Speaking about other issues in relation to the COVID-19, the NIDCOM boss noted that the government is in touch with Nigerians in diaspora in various parts of the world even as efforts are on the evacuate them.

According to her, 18 more Nigerians are expected to return from France over the weekend.

Unfortunately, she also noted that 40 Nigerians living in the diaspora have died as a result of complications from the virus.

Meanwhile, Dabiri-Erewa also noted that “Nigerians in the diaspora are coming together to raise funds to help frontline workers in Nigeria and very soon, this initiative by the Nigerians in the diaspora will be presented to the PTF”.

Zimbabwe Health Minister Arrested Over Coronavirus Supplies Scandal

At Least 31 Dead As Cyclone Idai Hits Eastern Zimbabwe

 

Zimbabwe’s health minister Obadiah Moyo was arrested Friday for alleged corruption related to the supply of medical materials to combat the coronavirus pandemic, the anti-graft agency said.

He was being held at a Harare police station and is likely to appear in court on Saturday.

“I can confirm that the minister of health and child welfare has been arrested and is being detained at Rhodesville police station,” John Makamure, spokesman for the Zimbabwe Anti-Corruption Commission, told AFP.

“It’s to do with the procurement of COVID-19 materials,” he added.

The government did not immediately comment on the arrest, which came a day after the country’s main opposition condemned alleged state corruption following suspicions over a $2-million-dollar payment to a medical company contracted to provide anti-coronavirus equipment.

Harare has come under fire for granting two-month-old company Drax Consult SAGL a contract to supply $20 million worth of drugs, personal protective equipment and COVID-19 test kits.

The deal was allegedly signed without the legal consent of Zimbabwe’s procurement registration authority.

In March, authorities in Hungary — where Drax Consult SAGL is registered — flagged a suspicious $2 million deposit into the company’s accounts, drawing anger from the opposition Movement for Democratic Change.

Local media reported last week the arrest of businessman Delish Nguwaya, believed to be Drax’s local representative, in connection with the same case.

The government last week ordered the cancellation of all contracts for the supply of medicines and sundries by Drax, according to the state-run Herald newspaper.

The country has detected 479 virus cases, including four deaths, although that figure is believed to be underestimated due to a lack of testing.

sn/pvh

Edo Police Confirm Death Of Lawyer, Arrest Alleged Killers

 

The police in Edo State have confirmed the death of a lawyer in the state, Iyoha Osobase Omon after his killers were said to have confessed to the crime and led a police team to the shallow grave where he was buried in Benin City the Edo State capital.

The command in a statement signed by its Public Relations Officer, Dsp Chidi Nwabuzor, said Osobase’s remains were on Tuesday exhumed by pathologists from the Central Hospital Benin City and taken to the hospital’s mortuary for autopsy.

According to the police, the command received a complaint on May 7, 2020, that barrister Omon, (41 years old) had been kidnapped by one Osasu Osadolor and his gang members at Evbuomodu village, Aduwawa, Benin City.

It said after preliminary investigations, operatives of the anti-kidnapping and cybercrime unit immediately took over the case from the Aduwawa division.

It also noted that on May 19, 2020, the alleged kidnap kingpin, Osadolor, was arrested with a black coloured Lexus 330 jeep reg. No. Ben-374-cu, said to have been used in kidnapping the victim.

Police operatives of the unit were also said to have (on May 26, 2020), arrested three additional suspects namely: Uwadia Taiwo Uhunmwangho (38 years old), John Oke (30 years old) and Saturday Imagbe (40 years old) with one Audi 80 car reg. No. Ca-956-ben also used in kidnapping the victim.

The suspects were said to have confessed to beating up the victim and later dropped him somewhere along old Benin-Auchi Road, Aduwawa, Benin City.

The police statement further revealed that on Tuesday, June 2, 2020, the operatives arrested two more gang members, one Leonard David (21 years old) and Valentine Dibie (24 years old).

They maintained that all the suspects confessed to conspiracy, kidnapping and the murder of Mr. Omon whom they allegedly killed and buried in a bush close to his house at Aduwawa, Benin City.

Nigerian Navy Arrests 10 Pirates Who Attacked Chinese Vessel

 

The Nigerian Navy has arrested 10 pirates who were reported to have attacked a Chinese Vessel, MV Hailufang (II).

This was disclosed in a statement issued by the Commander NNS BEECROFT, Commodore IA Shettima, on Monday.

According to Shettima, the vessel was attacked on May 15 by pirates of the coast of Cote de Viore.

Thereafter, they took control of the vessel which had 18 crew members comprising Chinese, Ghanaians and Ivorians, and directed it towards Nigerian Waters.

“The Nigerian Navy was alerted of the pirate attack and immediately, the Nigerian Navy Ship NGURU was dispatched to intercept the vessel.

“On interception of the vessel at about 140nm south of Lagos Fairway Buoy, the pirates refused to comply to the orders of the Navy Ship, hence the Nigerian Navy had to conduct an opposed boarding of the vessel. All ship crew were safely rescued, while the 10 pirates were arrested,” the NNS Commander stated.

He added that it is pertinent to note that the last five known or documented pirate attacks were outside of Nigerian waters, of which the Nigerian Navy has responded in the interest of Regional Security.

“This is aptly captured in the NN Total Spectrum Maritime Strategy ‘which covers Nigeria’s outermost maritime area of interest, encompassing the entire West African waters and the GoG,” Shettima said.

According to the Navy boss, this underscores the need for increased regional cooperation in terms of information sharing and further deepening of our response capability.

He noted that for instance, the latest rescue effort was bolstered by additional intel received from the Beninous Navy during the operation.

“This also emphasizes the Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral IE Ibas commitment to ensuring maritime security within Nigeria’s maritime space and the Gulf of Guinea in general,” Shettima added.

Meanwhile, he used the opportunity to warn the criminal elements that engage in any acts of maritime crime within the Gulf of Guinea to desist, noting that the Nigerian Navy has the capability and will power to deal with such perpetrators.

21 Persons Die From Contaminated Liquor In Mexico

BREAKING: 'Multiple Casualties' As Gunman Opens Fire At US Synagogue
File photo

 

Some 21 people have died and 13 others have been seriously injured in the Mexican state of Jalisco after ingesting contaminated liquor, regional authorities said Wednesday.

In total, 56 people have been affected in two municipalities in the western state since Saturday, state health official Huge Esparza said during a press conference, including the 21 who have died and 29 who have become ill.

The 13 who became seriously ill were transported via helicopter to hospitals in Guadalajara, the capital of Jalisco, while the rest were discharged, Esparza said.

READ ALSO: Guinea-Bissau PM And Three Ministers Test Positive For Coronavirus

On Saturday, patients began presenting with “symptoms of blurred vision and/or vision loss, intense abdominal pain, difficulty breathing and convulsions,” he said.

They had ingested a form of cane alcohol purer than that made for drinking that was manufactured in neighboring Michoacan state.

Some 700 liters of the liquor were seized over the following days.

Laboratory tests showed the liquor contained a “high concentration” of methanol used “as an additive to liquid fuels,” according to another Jalisco health official, Denis Santiago

“This chemical agent is for industrial use,” he said.

One other person was affected in Michoacan, though Jalisco authorities did not provide details on their condition.

COVID-19: 65 Persons Arrested In Lagos For Violating Lockdown Order

 

Sixty-five persons have been arrested in Lagos State for violating the lockdown order.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday by the state Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Bala Elkana, the suspects who were between the ages of 16 and 45, were arrested for holding a birthday party and consuming some substances suspected to be hard/illicit drugs.

They were said to have been arrested at hotel in the Oko Oba area of the state, following credible intelligence obtained by the police.

“Some of the suspects were found in the swimming pool catching fun, in total neglect of the social distancing regulations and the lockdown order.

“The suspects who are within the range of 16 to 45 years, confessed to have left their various homes to the hotel in defiance to the sit at home order,” the statement read in part.

According to the police, the manager of the hotel was equally arrested and the hotel has been sealed off by the relevant agency of the state government.

“Investigation is ongoing and the suspects will be charged to court,” the statement said, adding that the Commissioner of Police Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu (psc) urged residents to continue to be law-abiding.

He also advised parents to monitor the activities of their children, especially during this lockdown period, saying together we can stop the spread of COVID-19.

Police Arrest Alleged Killers Of Kidnap Victims In Edo

 

The police in Edo State have arrested some members of a kidnap gang who allegedly kidnapped and killed two men who were returning to Lagos State from the eastern part of the country early in January 2020.

The suspects were arrested on Friday and subsequently have led the police and accompanying vigilante groups to the scene of the crime within a forest in Ahor community off the Benin-Lagos by-pass on the outskirts.

Details later…

Police Arrest Man For Allegedly Raping Wife To Death In Jigawa

File photo

 

The Police in Jigawa State have arrested a man alleged to have raped his wife to death in Kankaleru village in Ringim Local Government Area of the state.

In a statement issued On Friday,  the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Abdu Jinjiri, confirmed the arrest to Channels Television.

According to Jinjiri, the suspect – Alasan Audu was said to have committed the offence after she refused to accept him.

READ ALSO: Ondo Govt Arraigns Suspected Killers Of Funke Olakunrin

The police spokesman explained that the couple who were only married for 20 days have been having rumbles as the 17-year-old girl was forced to marry the 30-year-old man against her wish.

“Investigation revealed that at about 0400hrs, the suspect went to her (the deceased) as a husband, but she turned down his request as he was not the one she prepared to marry in the first place.

“In the process, he was suspected to have used serious force on her to satisfy his desire,” the statement read in part.

Youths Protest Over Killing Of Five People In Kaduna

A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria's North-Central region.
A map showing Kaduna, a state in Nigeria’s North-Central region.

 

Youths in Kaduna State on Tuesday took to the streets to protest over the killing of five persons allegedly by police officers in Trikania community of Kaduna South local Government Area.

The five persons were killed in a violence that broke out in the area on Monday after the police and some members of the local vigilante group popularly known as the Civilian JTF attempted to disperse some traders.

READ ALSO: Abducted Brother Of Bauchi Governor Regains Freedom

According to them the traders had violated the state’s lockdown order and they resisted the efforts of the security agencies to disperse them, which then resulted in resulted in the tragedy.

While members of the community insist that the deceased died as a result of gunshots from the police, the police insist that they had no hand in the killing.
Four other persons were also injured in the violence but are currently undergoing treatment.

Since March 26, Kaduna State has been on total lockdown as the government imposed a 24-hour curfew in order to contain the spread of the COVID-19 disease in the state.

While there has been total compliance with the order in the city center, it has been serially violated in many satellite towns in the state.

Police Arrest Ritualist Gang In Ogun State

 

Officers of the Inspector General of police intelligence response team in Ogun state have apprehended a gang of nine including herbalists and clerics who admitted to killing a woman for rituals.

Surprisingly, the leader of the gang, Segun Olaniyi who calls himself the ‘devil’, in confessing to the crime also pleads for mercy.

The police say the suspects will face the full wrath of law.

READ ALSO: Three Suspects Arrested With Human Skull Exhumed From Public Cemetery

Two Dead, 15 Injured In Shooting Outside US Bar

 

 

A shooting outside a bar in the US city of Kansas has left two people dead and at least 15 injured, three of whom were in critical condition, police said on Monday.

The shooting occurred at about 11:30 pm Sunday (0530 GMT) as people lined up outside the bar, the Kansas City police said on its Twitter account.

Arriving in the chaotic aftermath, police found the bodies of a woman who was shot and killed in the car park and a man who was believed to be the shooter.

“An armed security guard at the business engaged the shooter outside of the establishment,” a police statement said.

“We believe the shooter is the deceased adult male.

“As the investigation unfolded at least 15 other victims arrived at area hospitals. At this time three of those victims are listed in critical condition.”

Police said the circumstances that led to the shooting were not known.