OAU Ebola Scare: Female Student Tests Negative To EVD

OAU EbolaVice Chancellor of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Prof. Bamitale Omole, has cleared the air surrounding the status of the female student of the institution who was suspected to have been a secondary contact ‎with Ebola Virus Disease.

He confirmed that she has tested negative to the deadly virus.

Speaking to newsmen in Ile-Ife in Osun state, Prof. Bamitale Omole made it clear that the lady who was sent to the Ebola Isolation Centre in Lagos for further clinical and laboratory investigation, has been certified and proved negative of the dreaded EVD .

Prof. Omole gave assurance that the institution would in no way stigmatize the student who is still out of town, more so when she has been clinically confirmed ‎free of the Ebola Virus.

On measures put in place to curtail the EVD, Prof. Omole said that foreign students have been asked not to resume yet, particularly the ones from Liberia, until the coast is clear.

He urged the people to go about their normal activities, assuring that the OAU Ebola Surveillance Committee would continue to maintain all precautionary measures to ensure that OAU remains Ebola Free.

Ebola: Group Educates Mothers Ahead Of Resumption Of Schools

EbolaAhead of the September 22 date approved for the resumption of schools across the country, the non-governmental organisation of Nigeria’s first lady, Patience Jonathan, has launched a campaign to sensitise mothers on the Ebola virus disease.

The Women for Change Initiative is a non-governmental organisation of Nigeria’s first lady, Patience Jonathan, which mobilizes women for socio-economic and political change in Nigeria.

According to the group, targeting the women is one sure way of helping school children, who will soon return to their classes, to prevent the spread of the disease.

The group says zonal and states coordinators of the organisation would train parents at the grassroots on personal hygiene before children return to schools. They would also be trained on how to identify symptoms of the deadly virus.

At the launch, some of the training provided by team of medical experts from the State House included how to identify the disease, good personal hygiene and the need to avoid contact with body fluids.

Some of the participants told Channels Television that the training received would enable them educate their children on how to relate with other children and adults when they get back to their schools.

Nigeria’s school children ought to have resumed from their holidays in the first week of September, but as part of its efforts to contain the spread of the deadly Ebola virus, the Federal Government postponed the resumption of schools to September 22.

The Government expects that the Ebola virus would be completely contained before the new date of resumption.

8th Ebola Survivor Released In Nigeria

Onyebuchi Chukwu on Ebola Virus.The Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu, on Wednesday confirmed the release of the 8th Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) survivor in Nigeria, adding that 18 cases have been recorded so far.

The Minister, briefing journalists after the Federal Executive Council meeting, said, “The total number of confirmed cases of Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria is now 18.

“The 18th confirmed case is the sister of the late Port Harcourt doctor,” he said, adding that “the total number of cases successfully managed and discharged is now eight.”

Prof Chukwu also stated that the last case to be discharged, the first secondary contact to be diagnosed and a spouse of a primary contact of the index case, went home from the isolation ward in Lagos on Tuesday, confirming the 9th survivor as “the ECOWAS Commission official who jumped surveillance in Lagos and travelled to Port Harcourt”.

The Minister also confirmed that the total number of deaths from Ebola Virus Disease in Nigeria was seven.

“One, the index case, occurred in a private hospital in Lagos, four in the Lagos isolation ward, one in the Port Harcourt isolation ward (the female patient who was on admission in the same hospital where the late Port Harcourt doctor was also admitted), while another one (1) was the doctor who was infected by the ECOWAS Commission official in Port Harcourt and who did not come under the care and management of the Incident Management Committee”, he said.

He added that two EVD patients were currently under treatment in the Lagos and Port Harcourt isolation wards.

“Total number of contacts currently under surveillance in Lagos is 41, while Port Harcourt has 255.

“Total number of contacts discharged in Lagos after they were observed for 21 days is 320”, he said.

The Minister also debunked rumours of EVD cases outside Lagos and Port Harcourt and debunked rumours that the body of the late Port Harcourt doctor was transported to Edo or Delta State, insisting that the body has been decontaminated and would be interred in Port Harcourt.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has partnered with the Rivers State Government to contain the spread of EVD in the state.

In a briefing with journalists at the Rivers State Ministry of Health in Port Harcourt, the WHO Country Representative, Mr Rui Vaz, said that WHO was bringing to bear in the fight against the disease, the expert training, assistance and logistical support to achieve containment and to ensure control in the Port Harcourt entry into the state.

 

 

EBOLA: WHO Sends Medical Supplies To DR Congo

Ebola DeathsThe World Health Organisation (WHO) said that it has sent protective equipment for medical staff to Democratic Republic of Congo, where authorities have confirmed two cases of Ebola in a remote area.

WHO Spokesman, Tarik Jasareviche, in response to a query in Geneva, said, “The ministry of health has declared an outbreak and we are treating it as such.”

The current Ebola epidemic, which has killed at least 1,427 people, has focused on Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone with several cases also in Nigeria.

Democratic Republic of Congo declared an Ebola outbreak in its northern Equateur province on Sunday after two of eight patients tested for the virus came back positive, Health Minister, Felix Kabange Numbi said.

Congolese authorities who went to the remote area found 24 cases of hemorrhagic fever of “unknown origin”, including 13 people that had died, Jasarevic said.

Of these, two have tested positive for Ebola, but other samples taken from suspect cases are being analysed, he said.

Hemorraghic gastroenteritis, malaria and shigellosis have also been identified in the area, he said. At least 70 people have died in northern Democratic Republic of Congo from an outbreak of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, the WHO said last Thursday, dismissing reports that the illness was Ebola.

Ebola virus, which was discovered in the former Zaire in 1976, is endemic in the area. This is the seventh known outbreak of the deadly disease in the country, according to the WHO.

EBOLA: Ivory Coast Closes Land Border

EbolaIvory Coast becomes the latest African country to close its land borders to prevent the spread of the deadly Ebola Virus on to its territory.

Ivory Coast has closed its land borders with Ebola-affected West African neighbours; Guinea and Liberia, in an attempt to prevent the world’s deadliest outbreak of the virus from spreading onto its territory, the government announced.

A number of African nations have defied advice from the World Health Organization (WHO) and put in place restrictions on travel to and from the countries where Ebola has appeared, which also include Sierra Leone and Nigeria.

The Philippines on Saturday ordered 115 troops to return home from peacekeeping operations in Liberia due to the outbreak there.

Ivory Coast, French-speaking West Africa’s largest economy, had previously imposed a ban on flights to and from Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

“Faced with new outbreak sites and the reactivation of old sites…the Ivorian Government decides to close its land borders with sister republics Guinea and Liberia,” said a statement read on state-owned television late on Friday.

Liberia’s Nimba County, which shares a border with Ivory Coast, has seen the number of Ebola cases balloon in recent weeks. According to the head of Ebola case management at Liberia’s health ministry, Moses Massaquoi, 65 cases including 25 confirmed patients have now been reported there.

“The number of cases in Nimba has spiked recently and it is now an area of concern,” Massaquoi told Reuters.

Ebola has killed 1,427 people out of 2,615 known cases identified since the West Africa outbreak was first identified in Guinea in March, according to WHO figures released on Friday.

However, families hiding infected loved ones and the existence of “shadow zones” where medics cannot go mean that the true scale of the epidemic is unknown, the U.N. health agency said.

The WHO has repeatedly said it does not recommend travel or trade restrictions for countries affected by Ebola, saying such measures could heighten food and supply shortages.

Ebola Deaths In West Africa Reaches 1,427 – WHO

Ebola DeathsThe World Health Organisation (WHO) has said on Friday, that the Ebola epidemic in West Africa has led to 1,427 deaths out of 2,615 known cases.

In its latest update, the WHO reported 142 new laboratory-confirmed, probable or suspected cases and 77 more Ebola deaths from four affected countries – Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone.

Earlier, the WHO said that the scale of the world’s worst Ebola outbreak had been concealed by families hiding infected loved ones in their homes and the existence of “shadow zones” that medics cannot enter.

It is due to issue a global strategy plan towards the end of next week in Geneva.

Ebola: Liberian President Imposes Night Time Curfew

Liberian-Presid2The Liberian President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, has imposed a night- time curfew and quarantined two affected neighbourhoods in a bid to stop the Ebola epidemic rampaging through West Africa.

The new quarantine areas include Monrovia’s West Point slum.

The President said that the commencement of the curfew would start on Wednesday, August 20, from 9:00 pm to 6:00am daily.

“Commencing on Wednesday, August 20, there will be a curfew from 9:00pm to 6:00am.

“All entertainment centres are to be closed. All video centres are to be closed at 6:00 pm,” she ordered.

Since the beginning of the year, more than 1,200 people have died of the virus in four West African countries.

In Nigeria, a top Lagos doctor, who attended to the Liberian-American man, Patrick Sawyer, that brought the Virus to Nigeria died of the virus on Tuesday. That brings the number of people who have died of Ebola in Nigeria to five, the health ministry said.

Colleagues said consultant Stella Ameyo Adadevoh was the first medical practitioner to order that a sick patient from Liberia be tested for Ebola when he was admitted in July.

The Chief Medical Director at Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Akin Osibogun, said that late Stella Adadevoh was a hero who contained the late Sawyer from leaving the hospital when he was tested positive to the virus, helping to contain the spread of the disease.

“We owe her a lot. She managed the situation like a thorough professional that she was. She had helped Nigeria to contain the epidemic in her own way.”

Government authorities had said five people have recovered from the virus in Nigeria and have been discharged from hospital in Lagos after they were confirmed fit and without the virus. Two are still being treated.

The outbreak in West africa has claimed at least 1,200 lives and it had started affecting travellers in the region, as several airlines have stopped flights.

Ebola: NNPC Shuts Down Clinic In Lagos

NNPC Shuts downThe Management of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), on Friday, announced the indefinite shutdown of its clinic in the Muri Okunola area of Victoria Island, Lagos, following a suspected case of Ebola virus on admission at the clinic.

NNPC shuts down the clinic as it discovered that the patient visited the First Consultant Medical Centre during the period the first Ebola case was reported at that clinic.

The Corporation, in a statement by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Ohi Alegbe, explained that the pre-emptive step was taken after the case was duly reported to the Federal Ministry of Health as well as officials of the Lagos State Ministry of Health.

In the meantime, all contacts with this case are being traced and adequate precautionary measures instituted to contain the possible spread of the disease,” the Corporation stated.

The medical team has given assurances that the patient is in stable condition.