Sanusi’s Lawyers Threaten Legal Action, Give Authorities 24 Hours To Release Him

Lawyers of the deposed Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi (II), have threatened to take legal action if the state authorities don’t release him within the next 24 hours.

The lawyers said this while briefing journalists on Tuesday in Abuja while the emir was being moved from Loko Development Area of Nasarawa State to Awe Local Government Area.

This comes barely 24 hours after the Kano State Government removed Sanusi as Emir of Kano.


RELATED

Kano Govt Removes Sanusi As Emir

Kano Government Sends Sanusi On Exile

Emir Of Kano Moved To Awe LGA In Nasarawa


The Secretary to the State Government, Usman Alhaji, made the announcement during the State Executive Council meeting which held at the Government House in Kano.

Alhaji explained that the state government took the decision to remove the traditional ruler over allegations of consistently refusing to abide by instructions given to him.

According to him, the removal was in line with the recommendation of the Kano State Public Complaint and Anti-Corruption Commission which had summoned the emir.

The commission had asked the traditional ruler to respond to a petition accusing him of selling lands belonging to the Kano Emirate to the tune of N2 billion.

But in documents obtained by Channels Television and signed by the chairman of the commission, Sanusi was accused of obstructing the investigation of the commission by securing a restriction order from a court.

Kano State Government Vows To Continue N3.4bn Probe Involving Emir Sanusi

 

 

The Kano State government says it will continue the investigation into the alleged financial misappropriation of over 3.4 billion naira against Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II.

Mr Muhyi Magaji Rimingado, the executive chairman of Kano State public complaints and anti-corruption commission reaffirmed this while reacting to the ruling of the Federal High Court in Kano that quashed the interim investigation report.

READ ALSO: Bayelsa Election: Supreme Court To Hear APC’s Request On Wednesday

At a press conference on Monday, February 24,  Mr Rimingado stated that though the court has nullified the report on the basis of non-invitation of the Emir, his commission will go ahead with its investigation and invite Emir Sanusi in compliance with the court ruling.

He added that another option available to the Kano State government is to appeal the judgment as there are numerous grounds for appeal.

Accept Or Reject Chairmanship Appointment, Ganduje Issues Sanusi Two-Day Ultimatum

Photo combination of Muhammadu Sanusi II and Abdullahi Ganduje

 

Kano State Governor Abdullahi Ganduje has given Emir of Kano, Muhammdu Sanusi II a two-day ultimatum to accept or reject his appointment as Chairman Kano Council of Chiefs.

The directive was contained in a letter dated December 19, and signed by Musa Bichi, Permanent Secretary for Special Duties, on behalf of the Secretary to Kano State Government.

READ ALSO: I Have Received Requests To Remove Emir Sanusi, Says Ganduje

Ganduje in the letter said it is important for the Emir to “accept the appointment or otherwise.”

“By this letter, His Excellency the Executive Governor is requesting His Highness, the Emir of Kano (Sarkin Kano) to indicate his ACCEPTANCE of OTHERWISE of his appointment as the CHAIRMAN of Kano State Council of Chiefs as conveyed vide letter no SSG/REPA/S/A/86/T and dated 9th of December. 2019.

“The acceptance of otherwise should reach His Excellency the Executive Governor of Kano State within two days of the receipt of this letter.

“As you await further directive of His Excellency, the Executive Governor on the matter, it is important to accept the appointment or otherwise.

“Accept the assurance of the Highest esteem and regards of His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kano State,” the letter in part.

Ganduje had earlier on December 9 appointed Sanusi as the head of the council of chiefs, following his assent to a law that created the other four additional emirates.

He had also asked Sanusi to immediately summon the inaugural meeting of the council in accordance with the provisions of the law.

However, Sanusi is yet to accept or reject the appointment more than a week after.

Ganduje Directs District Heads Not To Attend Emir Sanusi’s Durbar

 

Kano government has instructed all district heads to celebrate this year’s traditional Hawan Daushe in their Respective Emirates.

The instruction comes following certain calls that “all District Heads” were “directed” to attend Durbar at the Kano Emir’s palace.

Reacting to these calls, the Kano state government directed all district heads to attend the popular Hawan Daushe Durbar at their respective Emirates.

READ ALSO: President Of Guinea, Alpha Conde Turbaned As ‘Talban Daura’

This was disclosed in a press statement signed by the Governor’s Chief Press Secretary Abba Anwar.

The statement reads, “It is therefore directed that, District Heads from Bichi Emirate should attend their Hawan Daushe with the First Class Emir of Bichi, Alhaji Aminu Ado Bayero, District Heads from Rano Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir Alhaji Dr Tafida Abubakar (Autan Bawo).

“All District Heads from Karaye Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Alhaji Dr Ibrahim Abubakar II, all District Heads from Gaya Emirate should attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Alhaji Ibrahim Abdulkadir and those District Heads from Kano Emirate are also directed to attend Hawan Daushe with their First Class Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi II”.

Meanwhile, Governor Ganduje will attend the traditional Hawan Daushe Durbar at the Emir of Kano’s palace, followed by a cultural night dinner in honour of Guinea’s President Professor Alpha Conde and other foreign diplomats.

Northern Governors Condemn Kano Bombing

Kano The Northern State Governors’ Forum (NSGF) Chairman and Governor of Niger State, Muazu Babangida Aliyu, has condemned the terror attack on a Central Mosque in Kano where the Emir, Muhammadu Sanusi II worships regularly on Fridays.

In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Israel Ebije, Aliyu expressed sadness at the way and manner security challenges in the northern states have taken a turn for the worse in recent times, saying no one is spared.

Aliyu said that the attack on the Kano mosque where Emir Sanusi II worships is another sombre reminder of how much disregard those behind the terror attacks in the North have on the traditional institution and on the sanctity of human lives.

He said that the position of Sanusi II on the need to protect communities against those perpetuating violence must remain sacrosanct, adding that nobody should be intimidated by evil perpetrators.

He further expressed hope that the Boko Haram insurgency would end, saying good will surely triumph over evil.

The Chairman of the forum, while commiserating with Government and people of Kano State, urged them to remain committed to the fight against terror.