Lagos Secures Release Of At Least 107 Arrested #EndSARS Protesters

A file photo of a youth waving the Nigerian national flag during the protest against police brutality in Lagos on October 13, 2020.

 

The Lagos State government says it has secured the release of scores of #EndSARS protesters arrested in parts of the state.

The young Nigerians were detained in some police facilities and correctional centres in the state, an agency of the government – Lagos State Office of the Public Defender (OPD) said in a statement on Saturday.

While 253 protesters have been exonerated, the government noted that it has secured the release of 107 people.

A breakdown of the figure reveals that eight were released from the Panti Police Station in Yaba, 59 were freed from the Kirikiri Medium Correctional Centre and 40 from the Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre in the Apapa area of the state.

The government agency explained that the decision to secure the release of the youths followed the legal advice issued by the Office of the Lagos State Attorney-General, exonerating the protesters.

It confirmed that the release warrants have been obtained by the Office of the Public Defender from Ogba Magistrate and Yaba Magistrate Courts respectively, based on the order of the Office of the Attorney-General clearing the suspects.

“The Lagos State Office of the Public Defender would ensure that all suspects detained and exonerated by the Office of the State Attorney-General regain their freedom as OPD will visit all the police detention centres and correctional centres in the state to effect their release accordingly,” the statement said.

Read the tweets from the government below:

#EndSARS: Court Grants Bail To Six Abuja Protesters

 

A Chief Magistrate in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Musa Eneye has granted bail to six #EndSARS protesters in the sum of N50,000 each with one surety each in like sum. 

The six protesters who were arrested while wearing #RevolutionNow T-Shirt during the protest in the front of the National Assembly are Olutosin Adeniji, Yasidu Bashiru, Abdulsalam Zubairu, Kabiru Garzali, Paul Akinwumi, and Devour Chomo.

READ ALSO: Former Imo Governor Ohakim Arraigned Over Alleged Misinformation, Gets N10m Bail

The protesters who pleaded not guilty to the charges were arraigned on Friday, November 6, 2020, by the FCT Commissioner of Police on charges of criminal conspiracy, unlawful assembly, and inciting public disturbances contrary to Section 97 of the Penal Code.

Although the bail applications with the affidavit evidence were said to have been served on the legal department of the FCT Police Command, no legal representation was made or reasons adduced for their absence.

The magistrate, Abdurazak Eneye, ordered that the sureties must deposit the N50,000 bail sum at the court registry.

He also ruled that the surety to be presented by each of the defendants must be Nigerian citizens with a verifiable means of identification.

Their trial was adjourned till January 25, 2021.

Five Days Later, #EndSARS Lawyer Yet To Get Passport Back

Moe Odele

 

One of the lawyers who provided legal aid to #EndSARS protesters, Moe Odele is yet to get back her passport five days after it was seized by officials of the Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS).

Ms Odele, a tech and startup lawyer with international experience, was on her way to the Maldives on Sunday when she was stopped from boarding her flight by the NIS.

Her passport was subsequently taken from her.

At the airport on November 1, Odele sought clarity on why her passport was being held back and gathered that she was being investigated by an intelligence agency over charges unknown to her.

At the height of the #EndSARS protests across the country last month, Ms. Odele had helped to secure the release of many protesters detained by the police.

On Thursday, after several calls by Nigerians online demanding for the release of Ms. Odele’s passport, the NIS spokesman, Mr. Sunday James, told the Punch Newspaper that Odele’s passport had not been seized because of her #EndSARS activities but as part of a “routine assignment” to comply with an order to restrict Ms. Odele from leaving the country.

The immigration spokesman’s comment did not clarify why Ms. Odele was being restricted from leaving the country.

“Holding on to my passport without giving me any reason for it is a breach of my constitutional right,” Ms. Odele said on Twitter on Thursday evening. “I’ve not been informed of any investigation against me, I’m not running. I am here. Investigate. Ask me questions but do not continue to hold on to my passport with NO reasons.”

On November 3, the Ministry of Interior, which is responsible for the nation’s internal security and oversees the NIS, had said it “did not, has not and will not generate any no-fly list” targeted at #EndSARS protesters.

The Ministry was responding to a report by an online publication, Peoples Gazette, which, quoting three unnamed sources, claimed the Ministry of Interior was targeting hundreds of Nigerians who had been involved in the protests.

In a legal notice to the publication on September 4, the Ministry said the report was “unfortunate and misleading” and, again, denied its involvement in the creation of a no-fly list.

More than 24-hours after that denial, Ms. Odele’s passport is yet to be released.

“What is so ironic is that as a kid, I grew up hearing stories like this of folks having passports seized with no reasons,” Ms. Odele said on Thursday. “They sounded like faraway tales that could never happen to me you know. But look at where we are now. A few hours before I turned 31, it happened to me. Wild.”

‘We Stand With You,’ Beyonce Declares Support For #EndSARS Protesters

A file photo of Beyonce.

 

American singer and actress, Beyonce has declared support for #EndSARS protesters participating in various demonstrations across the country.

In an Instagram post on Wednesday, Beyonce identified with the young Nigerians who are demanding an end to police brutality.

“I am heartbroken to see the senseless brutality taking place in Nigeria. There has to be an end to SARS,” she said.

The American music star explained that they have been on partnerships with youth organisations to support those calling for a better nation.

She added that they were collaborating with a number of coalitions to ensure the provision of food, shelter, and emergency healthcare responses for the youths.

Beyonce’s post came barely a day after soldiers open fire on #EndSARS protesters who had gathered at the Lekki Toll Gate area of Lagos State.

In an attempt to disperse the protesters, the action of the soldiers led to the death of some youths while at least 28 others were injured.

Read Beyonce’s post on Instagram below:

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Beyoncé (@beyonce) on

Sanwo-Olu’s Visit To Injured Lekki #EndSARS Protesters In Pictures

A combination of pictures of Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on a visit to the #EndSARS protesters shot by soldiers in Lekki on October 20, 2020. Photos: Twitter – @jidesanwoolu

 

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday visited the #EndSARS protesters shot by soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate axis of the state.

He disclosed the visit via his Twitter handle, hours after the soldiers fired live bullets at the protesters in a bid to disperse them from the venue.

“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” said Governor Sanwo-Olu who condemned the shooting.

He explained that at least 28 people were injured, out of which 25 were receiving treatment and three others discharged.

The highlights of the governor’s visit are captured in the photos below:

In this picture taken on October 21, 2020, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, pays a visit to one of the #EndSARS protesters shot by soldiers in Lekki. Photo: Twitter – @jidesanwoolu

In this picture taken on October 21, 2020, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, pays a visit to one of the #EndSARS protesters shot by soldiers in Lekki. Photo: Twitter – @jidesanwoolu

Lekki Shooting: 28 Injured #EndSARS Protesters Taken To Hospital, Says Sanwo-Olu

In this picture taken on October 21, 2020, Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, pays a visit to one of the #EndSARS protesters shot by soldiers in Lekki.

 

At least 28 people were injured on Tuesday when soldiers shot at #EndSARS protesters in the Lekki area of Lagos State.

The state governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, disclosed this in a series of tweets on Wednesday, although he was silent on the number of fatalities.

He made the disclosure shortly after he visited the victims who sustained various degrees of gunshot wounds as a result of the action of the soldiers.

Governor Sanwo-Olu explained that the injured victims were receiving medical treatment across three hospitals in the state.

According to him, 10 victims are being treated at the General Hospital, 11 at Reddington, and four hospitalised at Vedic medical facility.

The governor confirmed that the victims sustained mild to moderate levels of injuries, but two were receiving intensive medical care.

He added that three patients have so far been discharged from the hospital, while 25 others were on admission at the time of this report.

On why it took him long to react to the shooting, Governor Sanwo-Olu said he had to prioritise the welfare of the victims of the unfortunate incident.

“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” he said.

The governor also gave an assurance that the state government would continue to monitor and ensure that all the injured victims were given the best care.

See his tweets below:

Reveal Soldiers Who Shot At Lekki #EndSARS Protesters, NBA Tells Military

A combination of photos from the scene of the Lekki #EndSARS protest on October 20, 2020.

 

The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) has condemned the shooting of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers in the Lekki area of Lagos State.

NBA President, Olumide Akpata, faulted the incident in a statement personally signed by him on Tuesday hours after the incident.

A team of armed security personnel had stormed the Lekki toll gate – where a series of protests had held peacefully – and fired live bullets at a crowd of youths there.

“The Military High command is hereby requested to immediately identify and name the officers involved in this gross professional misconduct for immediate prosecution and dismissal in line with extant laws,” Akpata said.

He added, “The NBA shall immediately commence legal proceedings at all relevant fora – both locally and internationally – against the Nigerian Military and other relevant authorities, on behalf of the families of the victims, for abuse of power, disregard of rules of engagement and the infringement of the fundamental rights (including the right to life) of the affected citizens.”

Akpata explained that given the degenerating nature of the crisis, an emergency meeting of the National Executive Committee of the NBA would be convened within the next 48 hours.

According to him, the meeting is to review the state of the nation and take other appropriate steps to decisively deal with the situation and prevent Nigeria from further going adrift.

The NBA president described the shooting as an act of recklessness and lawlessness by the security apparatus of the government.

He stressed that based on reports available to the lawyers, it appeared to have been a carefully calculated and premeditated attack.

Akpata argued that even if the Lekki #EndSARS protesters were in breach of the curfew imposed by the Lagos State government, such a misdemeanour did not warrant the use of live ammunition by the military to confront peaceful, unarmed and defenceless protesters.

He stated that Tuesday’s events should never be seen or considered as normal in any democracy in any country.

“The NBA believes that the current situation in the country calls for dynamic leadership and, as critical stakeholders in the Nigerian project, invites the President of Nigeria and others in authority to show uncommon leadership in saving the situation, instead of deploying troops against defenceless citizens whom they swore an oath to protect,” the NBA president said.

Hillary Clinton Calls On Buhari To Stop Killing #EndSARS Protesters

Hillary Clinton (File Photo)

 

American Politician, Hillary Clinton, has called on the Nigerian Government to stop killing #EndSARS protesters.

Clinton made the call in a tweet on Tuesday, in reaction to the shooting by officers of the Nigerian Army that occurred in the Lekki Toll Gate Area of the Lagos State killings.

“I’m calling on @mbuhari and the @hqnigerianarmy to stop killing young#EndSARS protesters. #StopNigerianGovernment,” she wrote.

 

 

The incident happened at about 7:00 pm on Tuesday.

According to one of the protesters who was still at the scene of the incident at about 10:30 pm, they were protesting peacefully when the armed security operatives came and opened fire at them.

“We were protesting peacefully after comedian, AY addressed us. There was nothing, we were still protesting peacefully. Then immediately, the street lights went off,” he told Channels TV on the News @ 10.

“People started shooting at us. We were able to recognise them, they were putting on uniform, they were military men, soldiers.

“We were lying down, waving our flags, telling them we are protesting peacefully, yet they were shooting directly at us.

“It wasn’t to drive us away, it was to kills us”.

 

 

So far, several persons are feared dead, while many others sustained gunshot wounds.

Some videos from eyewitnesses at the scene of the incident showed some persons bleeding seriously, while others tried to extract the bullets.

Others were seen administering CPR to some injured persons, to resuscitate them.

The incident comes hours after the Lagos State Government declared a 24-hour curfew as part of efforts to stop the violence which had broken out in some parts of the state by criminal elements who have been hijacking the protests.

Although the curfew was to commence at 4:00 pm, many were still seen protesting across the state.

At the Lekki Toll Gate which has been one of the major converging points, peaceful and unarmed protesters were still seen gathered in large numbers hours after the curfew was to have commenced.

The situation, however, took a turn for the worse around 7:00 pm when the security operatives stormed the area and started shooting sporadically.

Meanwhile, the state government in a tweet at 7:08 pm had stated that the curfew would not start until 9:00 pm, to allow those stuck in traffic to get to their homes.

Police Fire Teargas At #EndSARS Protesters In Abuja

Police Fire Teargas At #EndSARS Protesters In Abuja. PHOTO: Sodiq Adelakun

 

Police officers have fired teargas at #EndSARS protesters in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

The protesters who are demanding an end to police brutality and extra-judicial killings were intercepted by the security agents at the John Kennedy Street as they attempt to march through the back gate of the Presidential villa.

In an attempt to disperse the protesters who were also gathered at Power House in Asokoro, the police officers fired tear gas.

Soldiers had earlier mounted checkpoints along the Mararaba/Nyanya road linking Nasarawa State to the nation’s capital, Abuja.

Some passengers were forced to walk as some commercial vehicles stayed off the roads for fear of being stuck in traffic while the popular aya roundabout is occupied by officers of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corp (NSCDC).

Also, police officers were stationed in front of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) headquarters with Armoured Personnel Carrier and water cannons.

See more photos below…

 

Armed Men Attack #EndSARS Protesters In Benin

The ongoing protest against police brutality and extrajudicial killings was on Friday disrupted in Edo State as the protesters were attacked by some armed men.

The attackers struck after the protesters gathered at the King’s axis of Benin City, the Edo State capital.

The attackers chased the protesters as they brandished machetes and shot into the air.

One of the protesters told Channels Television that many have been injured following the attack and insisted that the armed men were sponsored to disrupt the peaceful demonstration.

The protesters however repelled the attackers. They insist on carrying out peaceful demonstrations until their demands are met.

See more photos from the protest below…

 

-Obaseki Condemns Attack-

The State Governor Godwin Obaseki in a swift response condemned the attack and condoled with the victims.

He assured that a thorough investigation would commence immediately to bring the culprits to justice.

The governor who responded in a series of tweets charged the Edo State Police Command to come out in full force to provide adequate security to the protesters, as they were exercising their rights as concerned citizens of Nigeria.

See tweets below….

 

 

 

“It is disheartening that anyone would attack a peaceful assembly of young people who are expressing genuine concerns over police brutality and intimidation in their own country.

 

“I hereby call on the Edo State Police Command to get out on the streets and provide adequate security for the protesters and ensure that no one is harassed in the course of exercising their rights.”

#EndSARS Protesters At Alausa Maintain Tempo After Days Of Protests

#EndSARS protesters on Friday morning regrouped at the Lagos State seat of power in Alausa where they have been converging for more than 10 days now.

The protest coordinators have made arrangements for food and water as music plays in the background to prepare the protesters for the day ahead.

They also have medical personnel on standby, ambulances, mobile toilets for convenience have also been provided.

It’s a slow Friday morning for some of the protesters who passed the night at the protest ground in Alausa, as they opt for more sleep before the apparent busy day ahead.

Private security popularly known as bouncers were also hired as an alternative to security.

Some protesters were attacked by thugs on Thursday morning, an action already condemned by the state government but law enforcement agencies are still nowhere near the protest area, except for those securing the government offices.

The #EndSARS protest started as a campaign against the infamous anti-robbery squad of the Police, now disbanded, but the protesters are now calling for a wider reforms in the police and advocating for better policing.