Officials of the Nigerian Air Force involved in the fight against insurgency in the northeast have been asked to sustain the fight in order to reduce the activities of the insurgents to the barest minimum.
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, who was represented by the Chief of Policy and Plans, James Gbum, made the demand in Maiduguri and Yola while observing the Sallah holiday with the troops.
He told the troops that the Federal Government was backing them with the provision of modern equipment of warfare and improved welfare services.
The Air Officer Commanding, Tactical Air Command, Air Vice Marshal Muhammad Mohammed, acknowledged the visit as a morale booster to the troops.
He reassured the Federal Government and the Chief of Air Staff of their unflinching loyalty and commitment to continuously tackling the insurgents and other criminals.
Boko Haram activities in the last six years have left several communities in the northeast devastate, with over two million persons displaced.
Heightened counter-terrorism operations in the region had sacked the terrorists from communities they had occupied, restoring relative peace.
In the heat of insurgency, the terrorists had taken over 200 girls hostage, an act that triggered worldwide protest for the release or rescue of the girls, with a #BringBackOurGirls slogan.
The girls were abducted from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, Borno State over two years ago.
Recently, the terrorist group released a video showing some of the abducted girls and said that some of them had been killed in air raids by the Nigerian Air Force at Sambisa Forest, a haven for terrorists in Borno State.
In a recent video released by Boko Haram few weeks ago, the terrorist group claimed that air strikes killed 40 of the over 200 girls abducted from their dormitory in a secondary school in Chibok on April 14, 2014.
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, denied the claims of the terrorist group, describing it as false and a complete propaganda.