Osun State Begins Dredging Of Waterways After Flood Mishap

Osun-State-dredging-after-Osogbe-floodIn the wake of the flood disaster that ravaged some communities in Osogbo, the capital of Osun State on Tuesday, the state government has commenced the dredging of major waterways in the state capital.

According to the consultant to the state government on urban planning, environment and sanitation, Bola Ilori, the dredging is being done to open up closed waterways in the state to avoid a recurrence of the incident.

One life, and property worth several millions of Naira were lost to the flood which was one of the worst in the history of Osun state.

To avert a recurrence in future, the state government swung into action by embarking on dredging to widen the water channels in the state.

Honourable Ilori said the state government was mapping out strategies to address ecological challenges in the state.

However, it appears residents of the state are not in tune with dredging of the waterways alone, as they believe a long term and sustainable effort were the solution to the flood issue.

The Osun State Governor had after the flood promised to intensify efforts to ensure that waterways were cleared.

Governor Rauf Aregbesola and his Deputy, Mrs Titilayo Tomori-Laoye, made the promise on Wednesday evening when they visited some of the areas affected by the flood to commiserate with them.

Addressing reporters at the Cac Oke Igbala DCC Headquarters in Gbonmi area of Osogbo, Governor Aregbesola said his administration was deeply sorry for the loss of life and property of the people.

He said the state government had cleared waterways earlier before flood warning was issued.

While the dredging is ongoing, sanitation exercise is also going on in Ile Ife, as the traditional monarch, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Launched the “Sweep Ile-Ife Clean Initiative”.

Tagged “Gba Femo”, the initiative is aimed at discouraging indiscriminate dumping of refuse on waterways across the ancient town, something the flooding that occurred on Tuesday had been linked with.

The Ooni said refuse dumps would be provided to all streets in Ile-ife.

He told reporters that trucks would also be provided to take the refuse daily to a dump site to ensure the environment was made clean to avoid natural disasters.

The Sweep Ife Clean initiative of the Ooni of Ife has provided employment for 200 youths who are to be used as ‎mangers in the scheme to ensure compliance by the people.

Flood Alert: Delta Deputy Governor Warns Residents

FloodResidents living around the coastal line in Delta State have been warned to relocate, to avoid being enveloped by the impending flood.

This warning is coming from the Deputy Governor, Kingsley Otuaro, who was reacting to the Federal Government flood alert that coastal states would witness flooding as a result of the gradual release of excess water from Lagdo dam in Cameroon.

Mr Otuaro said that the relocation was necessary to avoid recording high level of casualty when the flood sets in, emphasizing that the state was able to evacuate people to internally displaced person’s camps in 2012 because they yielded to the timely warning by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency, NIMET.

The Deputy Governor expressed worry with the way some people erect structures on waterways and canals, thereby blocking the waters from flowing into its route.

He advised owners of public and private buildings to embark on clearing of their surroundings and gutters as a deliberate effort to promote good health.

The Deputy Governor equally called on traditional rulers and opinion leaders to assist government to enlighten their people about the impending flood and the need to keep their environment clean to avoid outbreak of diseases like malaria and cholera.

He said that government was committed to the fight against environmental degradation and anything capable of exposing the state to environmental hazard.

Flood Alert: NEMA orders immediate evacuation of communities along River Niger

The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) on Monday ordered an immediate evacuation of citizens living along the River Niger plains.

In a press statement issued by the agency’s Head of Relations, Yushau Shuaib, NEMA said the order “comes because the dams have attained their highest water levels in 29 years which is unprecedented in the history of Jebba and Kainji hydroelectric power dams.”

Mr Shuaib said the threat has created a high risk of imminent flooding in the downstream of the river.

NEMA asked the residents of the communities along the river plain to move to higher grounds for safety.

The states at risk of the flood are Niger, Kogi, Kwara, Kebbi, Anambra and Delta.

The statement reads: “Already the agency has notified the affected states to take the necessary precautionary measures by relocating people from the flood prone areas and activated the National Contingency Plan as well as alerted all stakeholders to take necessary actions in line with their various mandates.

“The states are to ensure compliance with the threat in order to avert imminent loss of lives and properties that would certainly arise in the event of flooding.

“Furthermore, information available indicates that the gauge for monitoring the flow of water in the river has already exceeded the maximum height by over one meter.

“A rapid assessment team comprising officers of NEMA and the stakeholders has left for Jebba and Kainji to further inspect the situation.”