Soldiers Recover Arms From Herdsmen In Southern Kaduna

Soldiers Recover Arms From Herdsmen In Southern KadunaSoldiers from the 1 Division of the Nigerian Army, have recovered arms and ammunition from suspected Fulani herdsmen and villagers during an operation in Southern Kaduna.

The soldiers were deployed to the area as part of efforts to end the killings in some communities in the area.

The General Officer Commanding, 1 Division, Kaduna State, Major General Adeniyi Oyebade, who disclosed this in a statement, explained that the Army had been meeting with the Fulani and the villagers in a bid to find a lasting solution to the crisis.

He said the Army authorities had also approved two battalions to be stationed in Southern Kaduna for as long as possible.

He said, “We have presently mopped up arms from the Fulani herdsmen and the locals.

“Our operations based on intelligence gathering are still ongoing and we are also working with the Department of State Services.

“As it is well known, the Army has approved two battalions to be stationed in Southern Kaduna. One of them is in Kafanchan. So, we are not leaving. We will be there for as long as it’s necessary.

“We have other fundamental issues in the area, which the political leadership needs to resolve.

The Governor has engaged various stakeholders and as our operations continue, peace is returning.

“People are returning to their villages. However, it will take some time for them to calm down.

“They are repairing their burnt houses and they are also clearing their farmlands.

“We have assured them of maximum protection on their farms, and also for the Fulani herdsmen when they need to lead their cows for grazing”.

Southern Kaduna: President Buhari Orders Strong Action

Southern Kaduna: President Buhari Orders Strong Action President Muhammadu Buhari has been giving instructions for decisive measures aimed at bringing an end to the recurring acts of violence and destruction in the Southern part of Kaduna State.

President Buhari has equally directed the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to carry out a joint assessment of the situation with the sister agency in Kaduna, SEMA, to determine the level of response required for urgent aid to the victims of the violence.

This is according to Presidential Spokesperson, Garba Shehu.

According to him, the Inspector-General of Police, on the directive of President Buhari, was in the region on Saturday and Sunday to assess the situation at first hand.

“In addition to the conventional policemen deployed in the area, a squadron of mobile policemen has now been stationed there.

The Nigerian Army is also in the process of setting up two battalions in Southern Kaduna while the military continues to carry out air surveillance across flash points of the area.

“These measures should soon ensure the return of normalcy to the region, while the Kaduna State government continues its peace building efforts,” he stated.

The President commended efforts of the State government and the security agencies in the steps taken so far to curtail the violence.

President Buhari has, once again, sent condolences to the people of Southern Kaduna, who have lost loved ones in the recent violence.

Army Intervenes To Restore Order In Southern Kaduna

Army Intervenes To Restore Order In Southern KadunaAs part of the measures aimed at restoring law and order in Southern Kaduna, the Nigerian Army says it plans to site a military establishment in the area for quick response.

The Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier-General Sani Usman said this, adding that the Army is working with other security agencies as well as the civilian population to restore peace and promote tolerance in the area.

“I want to inform you that the Nigerian Army is fully deployed in the southern part of Kaduna state, and just yesterday we further reinforced that.

“And we have gone beyond that; we have also embarked on civil military activities and we are working hand-in-gloves, with other security agencies, particularly the Nigerian Police, Department of State Services and other military, paramilitary agencies deployed, as well as community and traditional and religious leaders.

“Be assured that the Nigerian Army is fully on ground in the southern oart of Kaduna state.”

He said that with the siting of a military establishment, the Army would be better equipped to avert any form of bloodshed in the area.

Southern Kaduna Attacks: Police To Set Up Mobile Unit In Kafanchan

Ibrahim Idris, Police, Rivers RerunThe Nigerian Police Force says it will set up a Mobile Squadron Unit in Kafanchan, as part of efforts to stop the frequent attacks in the southern part of Kaduna State.

The plan was announced on Saturday by the Inspector General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, during a fact finding mission to Kafanchan, headquarters of Jema’a Local Government Area in the northeastern State.

Mr Idris, who also inaugurated a committee to investigate the recent attacks on Goska, Ninte and other villages in the area, vowed that perpetrators of the attacks would be fished out and prosecuted accordingly.

Many communities have come under attack by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen in the southern part of Kaduna State in the past eight months.
The attacks have claimed several lives and property, with thousands of people sacked from their homes.

After a tour of the communities attacked by suspected herdsmen, the Police boss met with the villagers and leaders of the Fulani community. At the meeting, however, a mild disagreement ensued between them, as to who was responsible for the attacks. While some blame the traditional leaders for the unrest, others accused politicians of being responsible.

Addressing the people, Mr Idris noted that the wanton destruction of lives and property in the past months in southern Kaduna had more of a political than religious undertone.

He commiserated with those who had lost loved ones and properties to the unrest, but added that the situation had been blown out of proportion.

“From the discussion I had with Kaduna State Governor, Malam Nasir El-Rufai, we have decided to station a mobile police base in Kafanchan.

“We are here to see things for ourselves so that we have a lasting peace in the whole area,” he said.

The IG said a panel had been set up to investigate the crisis in the area thoroughly, including the allegation that 800 people were killed in the crisis.

Mr Idris said most of the leadership of the villages had a lot to contribute to peace and unity of the area.

“Some of the community leaders need to be cautioned. They are contributing to creating situation that does not exist,” he said.

He said the police were committed to restoring lasting peace and later met with community leaders in the area.

Over 700 Mobile policemen have been deployed to Kafanchan to maintain law and order in southern Kaduna.

The visit by the IGP is perhaps not the first by any top security or government official to area.

Beyond the visitation, what the people want to see is lasting peace and perhaps government’s intervention in the areas of rehabilitation of destroyed houses to enable them go back to their normal lives.

10 People Killed In Fresh Attack In Kaduna

10 People Killed In Fresh Attack In KadunaAt least ten people have been killed and many houses destroyed following a fresh attack by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen at Goska and Kaninkon villages in Jemaa Local Government of Kaduna State.

An eyewitness told our correspondent that the gunmen numbering over 100 stormed the villages on Saturday evening when the people were preparing for the Christmas celebration, and started shooting and burning down houses.

The attack, according to the villagers continued unabated till the following morning, while all the residents fled from their homes to neigbouring communities for fear of being caught in the attack.

The fresh attack was carried out despite the curfew that was imposed on three local government areas in the southern part of Kaduna – Kaura, Jemaa and Zango-Kataf.

Already, Governor Nasir El-Rufai has condemned the attacks, and vowed to fish out those that invaded Goska.

The Governor, who empathized with families that lost loved ones, charged security agencies to double their efforts towards halting the persistent killing of innocent people.

The Governor said: “While the government and security agencies were working assiduously to block all windows to ensure that citizens throughout the three local government areas are protected and the state at large, these forces of darkness that represent evil and inhumanity struck again killing innocent citizens, burnt their houses and injured some and terrified many.

“Government and security agencies will not be deterred. We will continue to be resilient, up and doing and courageous in tackling this unfortunate situation. Their tactics are to create a chasm, divide people, breed hate and prejudice and plunge the state into chaos but we will triumph over these evil forces by the grace of almighty God.

“No amount of evil will change our deep commitment. We will continue to be firm, decisive and put lives of our citizenry and their well-being as our ultimate goal.

“We will see the end of these messengers of hell who are out to cause pains by attacking unsuspecting citizens in our communities. They are threats to our existence; they are deviants that we must all put our hands together irrespective of religion, ethnicity and political inclinations to confront.

“They become stronger only when our people are divided instead of coming together to weaken and neutralize them and the evil they represent and to free our humanity from their devilish act.

“It is also clear, that resorting to self-help compounds the precarious situation thereby, breeding the cycle of vicious killings. It must be clear to all by now that inciting of tit-for-tat does not help our security agencies and communities attain our quest for peace and those calling for that will also be brought to justice.

“The State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) has been directed to take inventory of those affected and also bring relief materials to assist the victims of the attack.

“Our deep empathy and prayers go to the families that lost their loved ones, those that lost their homes and properties. May their souls rest in peace and may God see us through this challenging time.”