Boko Haram Sect Attacks Ngambu Town Of Borno

Boko_Haram_Gombe_AttackThe Boko Haram militants attacked the town of Ngamdu in Borno State early on Tuesday, killing about a dozen people.

Ngamdu town which has been hit several times by the Boko Haram sect, lies on the border of Borno and Yobe States north-east Nigeria.

The town is about 100 km (60 miles) east of Borno State capital, Maiduguri and about 40 km west from Yobe State capital Damaturu, and lies near a road that is a major transport artery between the two States.

The casualties and wounded were mainly bus and truck drivers. Around six drivers died, a security source said.

A commercial driver, Mamman Abdullahi, said the insurgents came to Ngamdu at about 9:30 A.M. but were pursued by soldiers.

“They came back later on horse, shooting at people. Many were killed and some of our drivers were injured,” he said.

“Three drivers and some passengers were hit by bullets and being treated in a Maiduguri hospital.”

According to Reuters, five people were being treated for serious injuries after the attack at Maiduguri’s Umaru Shehu Hospital but more were being treated for wounds in other locations.

Vehicles on the road to Yobe were told to turn back due to the raid.

This is the second time in a week that the group have hit towns along the road.

Two suicide bombers blew themselves up at a checkpoint at Beneshiek on Saturday.

The country had recaptured several key towns in the last few weeks and Boko Haram has been largely pushed out of Adamawa and Yobe states with help from Chad and Niger.

On Monday, Chadian and Nigerian troops freed the towns of Malam Fatouri and Damasak from militant control.

Nigeria Police Say 7 Missing Personnel Rescued

Nigeria_Police_TrainingSeven out of the 35 personnel of the Nigeria Police Force, who went  missing during last Wednesday’s attack on the Police Mobile Force Training School in Gwoza, Borno State, have been rescued.

This police, on its Twitter handle, @PoliceNG, gave the information about the officials’ rescue on Monday.

The Force said it had intensified search for 28 others who were yet to be accounted for.

The tweet read: “@PoliceNG: UPDATE: Attack On Police Mobile Force Training Sch #Gwoza. 7 course men rescued & brought to safety. Search for remaining 28 being intensified”.

The Boko Haram sect members had launched an attack on the training facility and displaced over 100 policemen undergoing training with some of them fleeing into the hills and bushes around the area.

After the incident on August 20, a police spokesman, Emmanuel Ojukwu, confirmed the attack and told reporters the policemen on duty engaged the members of the terrorist group in a fierce battle.

The Inspector General of Police, Suleiman Abba, ordered the tightening of security around police facilities and urged all Nigerians to remain calm and join hands with the security forces in the collective fight against insurgency.

He restated the Police’s determination to work closely with other security agencies to stem the tide of terror.

The Boko Haram sect has carried out series of attacks on villages, churches, schools, mosques and public places in some states in the north.

Three states – Adamawa, Borno and Yobe – in the north-east have been placed under a state of emergency that has lasted for over one year to enable the military tackle insurgency in the region.

Military Dismisses Boko Haram’s Claim Of Caliphate In North-east

Boko_Haram_CaliphateThe Nigerian military has dismissed claims by an extremist group, Boko Haram, that a north-east town seized by the insurgents earlier this month has been placed under an Islamic caliphate.

The leader of the group, Abubakar Shekau, had, in a new video, claimed that the group had formed a caliphate in Gwoza, a town in Borno State.

“Thanks be to Allah who has given us victory in Gwoza and made us part of the Islamic caliphate. Thanks be to Allah. We are in an Islamic caliphate and we have nothing to do with Nigeria,” Shekau, who spoke in arabic, said in the video published on Youtube by AFP.

 “Claim Is Empty”

But in a tweet on its twitter handle, the Defence Headquarters stated that “the claim is empty”.

“The sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Nigerian state is still intact.

“Any group of terrorists laying claim to any portion of the country will not be allowed to get away with the expression of delusion and crime.

“Appropriate military operations to secure that area from the activities of the bandits is still ongoing,” the tweet read.

The terrorist group had attacked a training camp of the Nigeria Police Mobile Force (PMF) in Gwoza few days ago and 35 officials of the police were said to have been taken away after the attack.

Boko Haram Claims Caliphate
The terrorist group, Boko Haram, is demanding for an Islamic State and an end to western Education.

In response to the attack, the Acting Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Suleiman Abba, ordered the tightening of security around police facilities in addition to efforts to further protect lives and property.

A police spokesman, Emmanuel Ojukwu, told reporters that an attack on the camp on August 7 was repelled by the Police, but that a fresh offensive was launched on August 20 in which the policemen on duty engaged them in a fierce battle.

“The search and rescue party launched immediately has located and brought to safety all Police officers in the Training College at the time of attack.

“So far, 35 policemen, who are still missing from the facility as a result of the latest attack, are being searched for with very promising prospect of locating them,” he said.

The IGP urged all Nigerians to remain calm and join hands with the security forces in the collective fight against insurgency, restating his determination to work closely with other security agencies to stem the tide of terror.

The Boko Haram sect has carried out series of attacks on villages, churches, schools, mosques and public places in some states in the north.

Three states – Adamawa, Borno and Yobe – in the north-east have been placed under a state of emergency that has lasted for over one year to enable the military tackle insurgency in the region.

University Of Maiduguri Debunks Rumours Of Attack

University of MaiduguriThe University of Maiduguri has dismissed rumours that the institution was attacked by insurgents on Friday, saying the bomb blasts heard by students were from Giwa Barracks near the institution.

Earlier report says students of the institution, alarmed by the loud explosions, thought their school was under attack, but the school authorities said the insurgents did not come anywhere near the institution.

The Chief Information Officer of the University, Mr Mohammed Ahmed, said that the heavy security presence around the university prevented the insurgents from gaining access into the university.

“There isn’t any attack on the university by the insurgents. Anybody conversant with the terrine of the university and the barracks, will understand that it is the sound of the reverberation of the bombs in the barracks that was heard by students of the university who thought it was in the university.

“There is no bomb anywhere in the university.

“Prior to the attack the university has been surrounded by security operatives. The university has never had any problems with the insurgents.

“The students have been notified not to panic and to remain within the university hostels. Those that have come for classes have been advised to remain within the campus. Those within the four walls of the university are very, very safe,” Mr Ahmed said.

The spokesman for the military, Major General Chris Olukolade, said that the attack on a military barrack in Maiduguri by insurgents trying to free their colleagues held in detention was repelled by the military with many casualties recorded on the part of the terrorists.