No More Active COVID-19 Cases In Zamfara, Says Commissioner

 

The Zamfara State Commissioner for Health, Yahaya Kanoma, has said that there are no more patients in its isolation centres.

Kanoma confirmed this to Channels Television on Saturday.

According to him, 71 out of the 76 patients in the state have recovered and have been discharged from isolation centres after testing negative twice.

He, however, disclosed that the remaining five of the active cases in the state have died.

Speaking further, the commissioner noted that 198 tests were conducted so far and 102 samples have returned negative.

87 More Patients Recover From COVID-19 In Lagos

 

Eight-seven more COVID-19 patients have recovered and have been discharged from isolation centers in Lagos State.

This brings the total number of recoveries in the state to 825.

According to a statement issued on Wednesday by Gboyega Akosile, the Chief Press Secretary to the state governor, the patients who are all Nigerians, included 40 females and 47 males.

He explained that 26 were discharged from the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba, 24 from Onikan, 12 from Eti-Osa (LandMark), 11 from Agidingbi, nine from Gbagada and five from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) Isolation Centres.

Kano Govt Says Isolation Center In Viral Video Is Being Renovated

Kano state Governor Abdullahi Ganduje
A file photo of Kano state Governor Abdullahi Ganduje

 

The Kano State Government has faulted a viral video which sparked controversy that the state has no functional isolation centers.

A statement signed by the state Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, noted that the Sani Abacha Isolation Center, Kofar Mata as shown in the said footage is currently under renovation by the Coalition Against COVID (CACOVID).

According to Garba, the isolation centre which was initially billed to accommodate 500 beds, is being redesigned based on recommendation and standards set by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 (PTF) and the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

He said while the project is being reviewed and installation works continue, 218 out of the 500 beds planned for the centre were deployed to other new centres as follows: renovated Abubakar Imam Urology, Daula Isolation Centre and Karfi Sports Institute, while the remaining were retained at the Sani Abacha Isolation Centre.

Speaking further, the commissioner assured that the now 213 bed capacity Sani Abacha Isolation Centre as recommended by the relevant health authorities will soon be completed and put to use.

He stated that there is no iota of truth in the video and it is an attempt to discredit the effort by the coalition in the fight against COVID-19.

“Whoever is behind the filming does so to deliberately distort the datum considering that even in the clip, it shows that the project is still ongoing but calculatedly moves away from filming the exercise just to accomplish the task of garbling the fact,” the statement read in part.

Garba, therefore, called on the public to ignore the video clip, saying it is the handiwork of mischief-makers as the government stays committed to serving the people of the state.

30 More Recovered COVID-19 Patients Discharged In Jigawa

A file photo of a Jigawa map.
A file photo of a Jigawa map.

 

Thirty more COVID-19 patients have recovered in Jigawa State and have now been discharged from the Dutse isolation center after testing negative twice for the virus.

The Commissioner for Health, Dr Abba Zakari, confirmed this to journalists on Saturday, noting, however, that the state has recorded seven additional cases.

According to him, the new cases are almajirai that were repatriated from other states to Jigawa.

Read Also: 45 More Recovered COVID-19 Patients Discharged In Lagos

Meanwhile, the Kano Electricity Distribution Company has donated food items to support the people of the state in cushioning the effect of the virus and lockdown.

Jigawa state which currently has a total of 241 cases, is the state with the 6th highest number of COVID-19 infections in the country.

98-Year-Old Woman Recovers From Coronavirus In Lagos

A bed space in an Isolation Center in Lagos State.

 

A 98-year-old woman in Lagos State who had been battling with the coronavirus has now fully recovered and has been discharged.

The state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu announced this on Wednesday, adding that so far, she is the oldest coronavirus patient recorded in the state.

According to the governor, the woman and 25 others (13 male and 12 female), were discharged from various isolation centers.

This brings the total number of recovered and discharged cases in the state to 528.

As of today, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 184 new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the total infections in the country to 4,971.

Of the 184 cases, 51 were discovered in Lagos which remains the epicenter of the virus in the country.

Read Also: Nigeria Records 184 New Cases Of COVID-19, Total Infections Near 5,000

As the state and the country at large, continue to battle the virus, there have been calls for the government to improve testing capacity even as the rate of community spread has been on the rise.

On Saturday, the governor disclosed that the current laboratory testing capacity for the state is 850 persons per day.

According to him, this can, however, be expanded to about 1,500 to 2,000 daily with the availability of adequate extraction kits.

To achieve this, he said the state has paid for over 20,000 extraction kits and has placed an order for another 20,000 in its bid to test at least 120,000 in the next 60 days.

He also noted that the state has commenced a biweekly procurement of laboratory needs “to prevent running out of these materials going forward, until at least 120,000 tests are done in about 2 months”.

Speaking further, governor Sanwo-Olu urged residents to take responsibility and obey social distancing measures, failure of which he said the government will review the easing of the COVID-19 lockdown currently being implemented.

“The gradual easing of this lockdown is dependent upon the compliance of each and every one of us, which is to #TakeResponsbility,” he said.

“As a government elected to uphold the security of its citizens, which includes health security, let me make it clear that we will not hesitate to review the terms of this easing if we do not see an improvement in the next couple of days. People have to take responsibility.”

The governor on Wednesday, reiterated the public health guidelines such as the use of face masks in public, noting that the measures are designed to keep people safe.

He also thanked the health care workers for their efforts in curbing the spread of the virus.

COVID-19: 20 Persons Recover, Get Discharged From Isolation Centres In Gombe

Gombe Governorship Election Tribunal Receives Three Petitions

 

Twenty persons have recovered and have now been discharged from Isolation Centers in Gombe State.

The Commissioner for Health and the Acting Chairman of the state’s task force on COVID-19, Dr. Ahmed Gana, confirmed this on Friday at the daily press briefing on the progress of the COVID-19 in the state.

According to him, the discharge cut across Federal Teaching Hospital, State Specialist Hospital and Kwadon Isolation Centres.

He also warned members of the public against stigmatising COVID-19 patients or even survivors.

“There should be no stigma, they are clean and we have issued them a clean bill of health. They have tested negative twice before they were discharged, the general public should accept them and not stigmatize them,” he said.

“Those discharged should be ambassadors of COVID-19 they should educate their families, and those around them that COVID-19 is real”.

Meanwhile, Gana stated that the government is making plans to tighten security at the various isolation centres.

[ICYMI] COVID-19: Isolation Centres Are Running Out of Bed Spaces – SGF

 

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha, has said that isolation and treatment centres in the country are running out of bed spaces.

He revealed this on Friday during a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.

The SGF, however, noted that efforts are being intensified to increase the number of treatment centres in the country.

“We have received reports from the states, which suggests that the treatment centres are running out of bed spaces. As we assess the situation, the PTF shall also begin to examine our peculiar circumstances, modify the strategies for care management, and consider viable alternatives, where necessary. At the appropriate time, the guidelines and protocols shall be unfolded,” he said.

Meanwhile, he also noted that as of Thursday, May 7, the country recorded the highest number of cases in a single day.

While admitting that the situation might be worrisome, he, however, noted that it is largely a function of the country’s improved testing capacity.

The SGF also added that the number of infections does not translate to an increased fatality rate.

Speaking about the level of compliance to guidelines on the easing of the lockdown, Mustapha said the PTF has met with heads of security agencies and asked them to ensure strict enforcement of the inter-state travel restrictions as part of efforts to curb the community transmission of the pandemic.

COVID-19 Patients Protest At Gombe Isolation Facility

 

 

COVID-19 patients currently at the isolation facility in Kwadon community, Yamaltu Deba Local Government Area (LGA) of Gombe have abandoned the facility in protest.

The protesters on Tuesday numbering about 20 trooped out of the centre and occupied the Federal High road which links Gombe to Borno State.

They claimed that they were not being given adequate care at the facility while some others claimed that they have no COVID-19 symptom.

“Even if anyone has a headache, we will give them money to help us buy drugs. There is no doctor here,” one of the patients, identified as Halima, told Channels Television.

“I have so far spent five days here and I have shown no symptoms. They are just using us for business.”

The patients, who have been on admissions at the facility for one week, disclosed that the care they are getting at the facility is poor and added that the officials are not telling members of the public the true situation of things.