Nasarawa Govt. Partners World Bank To Assist Needy Communities

Nasarawa-World-Bank-Yalwata-WujiThe Nasarawa State government has restated its commitment to providing basic amenities for rural communities in dire need.

The state’s Commissioner of Budget and Planning, Othman Ibrahim, gave the government’s position on Tuesday in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital in north-central Nigeria.

He was speaking when he led a team of some government officials and that of the World Bank to Yalwata Wuji, a community in dire need of basic amenities in the state.

The plight of the community, which has at least 1,000 people and has been in existence for over 60 years, was highlighted on the Community Report segment of Channels Television’s flagship programme, “News At 10” on August 31, 2016.

Yalwata-Wuji-community4
Poor state of a bridge in Yalwata Wuji community
Yalwata-Wuji-community3
Pitiable condition of residents in Yalwata Wuji community
Yalwata-Wuji-community
Residents decry lack of basic amenities
Yalwata-Wuji-community2
A house in the community begging for reconstruction

 

The Commissioner described the report as a wakeup call to swing into action, not only in Yalwata, but also other communities with similar challenges.

The task team leader from the World Bank, Foluso Okunmadewa, also noted that the report had attracted the attention of the World Bank.

He said it necessitated the need for the bank to renew its partnership with the Nasarawa State government, which had been abandoned since 2013.

The World Bank official promised the residents of the community that a quick intervention to address their plights was underway.

Fashola Restates Commitment To Ensuring Food Security

The Lagos State Government has promised to continue seeking ways of ensuring food security and reducing unemployment in the state.

Governor Babatunde Fashola revealed this at the graduation ceremony of 285 youths from the state Agriculture Youth Empowerment Scheme, AGRIC-YES in Epe.

Speaking at the ceremony, the governor said that the progress and achievements recorded by the AGRIC-Yes programme in such a short time showed that what is needed to boost food production in the country was “a clear idea, a clear plan and unflinching commitment to implement those plans”.

In his words, “If we do not produce food, the factories will shut down, if we do not produce food and go back to the land, there will be no rubber to make tyres to even drive those luxury cars. That was the simple idea behind the AGRIC-YES, to go back to the land, to create dignity and honour with the land so that young people will have a new focus and a new beginning”.

Earlier in his welcome address, the Lagos State Commissioner for Agriculture and Cooperatives, Prince Gbolahan Lawal, had charged the graduands to use the skills which they have acquired to be the change they want to see in the world.

The graduates who are now full-fledged agropreneurs, six months after undergoing an intensive training on different aspects of agriculture, also expressed joy at the opportunity given to them by the state government.

In her remarks on behalf of other graduands, one of the best graduating students, Miss Oloko Olanrewaju, expressed gratitude to the governor for the privilege given to them, pointing out that they have been well trained during the course and promising to put their best to achieve food security in the country.

Also present at the ceremony were Secretary to the State Government, Oluranti Olugbile, Commissioner for Education, Olayinka Oladunjoye, Chairman House Committee on Information, Segun Olulade, members of the State House of Assembly, Chairmen of Local Governments, parents and guardians as well as relations of graduands and other stakeholders.

After the graduation ceremony, Governor Babatunde Fashola took time out to commission several projects in the farm settlement: 32 tonnes capacity quality cassava flour factory, 50,000 capacity automated 5-unit broiler houses, ram, cattle ranch and feed mill including 2.34km network of road within the institute and a 200 units two bedroom apartment for the farmers

Boko Haram Threatens To Attack U.S In New Video

A new video allegedly released by the leader of the Boko Haram sect, Abubakar Shekau and obtained by journalists today (Thursday) in Maiduguri the Borno state capital has threatened to attack the United States for her desire to join forces with Nigeria to fight terrorism and insurgency.

The United States had in November classified Boko Haram as a terrorist organization that have links with international terrorist group, Al-Qaeda.

Boko Haram in the video, vowed to take its violent campaigns to the U.S for her pledge to partner with Nigeria to fight terrorism.

“After that you said so many things. By Allah, you are lying. Were you truthful, oh America, you would have been truthful inside your country, you bloody liar. May Allah’s curse be on you,” the man believed to be Shekau, said in the video.

“This message is intended as a glad tiding. Allah the Almighty has given us victory in the attack we launched inside Maiduguri on the 2nd of this month.

“We stormed the city and fought them (and) Allah blessed us with lots of booty.

“They call us Boko Haram but we are not Boko Haram. We are Jama’atu Ahlissunnah Lidda’awati Wal Jihad whose leader is Abubakar Ash-shakawy, who in the past committed a lot of infractions but when he followed the Quran and the prophet’s teachings, today even Obama fears him, Francois Hollande fears him, Benjamin Netanyahu fears him, the whole world fears him. Why? Because he holds on to Allah the Almighty.

“You are boasting you are going to join forces with Nigeria to crush us, bloody liars. You couldn’t crush us when we were carrying sticks, is it today when we storm your barracks and commandeer your things one after the other, killed you in numbers that you are going to crush us? The man believed to be Shekau continued saying in the video.

“Where were you when your World Trade Centre was bombed, including your Pentagon when you were faced on your turf?

“Liars! May Allah protect us. This is a message from this small destitute who has become a nightmare to infidels” said Shekau who made the speech on the victory they achieved in Maiduguri.

The message vowed to continue with the attack not just in Maiduguri but the whole world and reminded those who care to listen to repent and turn to Allah.

“By Allah we will never stop. Don’t think we will stop in Maiduguri, tomorrow you will see us in America itself. Our operation is not confined to Nigeria; it is for the whole world.

Presidential Reception: Golden Eaglets Get Financial Rewards

The Federal Government is to give each player in Nigeria’s Under-17 team, the Golden Eaglets the sum of 2million Naira each.

President Goodluck Jonathan made the announcement at a reception in the presidential villa in honour of the Golden Eaglets.

The Golden Eaglets won the just concluded FIFA Under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates by defeating defending champions Mexico by 3-0 in the final on Friday, November 8, and The President had promised them a heroes’ welcome “in appreciation of the great honour and glory they have brought to their fatherland.”

The financial reward is not limited to the players; the head coach of the team would be given the sum of 3million Naira, while the assistant coach gets the sum of 2.5million Naira.

Speaking at the reception, President Jonathan said this is a golden era in Nigerian sports and assured that his administration would provide the enabling environment for the Golden Eaglets to thrive and be the best in the world.

President Jonathan To Host Victorious Golden Eaglets On Sunday

President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria on their 3-0 triumph over Mexico in the final match of the 2013 FIFA Under-17 World Soccer Championship.

President Jonathan joins other proud and happy Nigerians in saluting the glorious achievement of the Eaglets in winning the Under-17 Soccer Championship for an unprecedented fourth time.

In a press release signed by Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Reuben Abati, the President commended the young Eaglets for the exemplary commitment, dedication, resilience, determination, patriotism and unity of purpose they displayed through-out the tournament to make Nigeria the World’s Under-17 Football Champion once again.

In fulfillment of his promise of a heroes’ welcome for the triumphant Golden Eaglets on their return home, President Jonathan will host a grand reception for the team at the Banquet Hall of the State House at 7PM on Sunday, November 10.

“This is in appreciation of the great honour and glory they have brought to their fatherland,” he said.

The President also urged the leadership of the Nigerian Football Federation to strive to ensure that “the world-conquering Eaglets, who have shown such immense potentials as youngsters, are  properly nurtured, trained and developed to represent the nation at higher levels in future international football competitions.”

He wished the Golden Eaglets and their handlers a safe journey home.

History: Golden Eaglets Win FIFA Under-17 World Cup

The Nigerian Golden Eaglets have won the 2013 FIFA Under-17 World Cup tournament in United Arab Emirates.

Nigeria became the most successful team in the history of the tournament as goals from Erick Aguirre (own goal), Kelechi Iheanacho and Musa Muhammed secured a 4th title for the Golden Eaglets.

The Manu Garba boys announced their presence to the football world at the FIFA Under-17 World Cup with a convincing 6-1 victory over the same Mexican team in their opening game.

The second match was however tougher for the team as they had to come from behind twice to record a 3-3 score line against Sweden.

Next came Iraq and their Asian counterparts Iran but both could not withstand the firepower of Nigeria.

With victory over Uruguay in the quarter-finals, and a surprising 3-0 revenge over Group F foes, Sweden in the semi-final, Nigeria booked a place in the final, as well as a chance to make history against defending champions and their opening game victims, Mexico.

The 3-0 final victory has denied the Mexicans a chance to retain the trophy they won in 2011.

Worthy of note are the individual honours won by the Nigerian players. Kelechi Ihenacho unsurprisingly became the most decorated, winning the tournament’s Adidas Golden Ball Award for the overall best player, alongside the Silver Boot Award for being the second highest goal scorer.

Nigerian goalkeeper, Dele Alampasu also won the Adidas Golden Gloves Award while the entire team won the FIFA Fair Play Award.

Nigeria has now become the most successful team in FIFA Under-17 World Cup history.

Jonathan Sends Delegation Led By Mark To Cheer Eaglets To Victory

President Goodluck Jonathan has constituted a high-powered delegation headed by the Senate President, David Mark to represent the Federal Government at tomorrow’s FIFA Under-17 World Soccer Finals between Nigeria and Mexico in the United Arab Emirates.

Other members of the delegation who President Jonathan has charged to ensure that the Golden Eaglets receive all necessary support and motivation for victory include the Minister of Special Duties, Alhaji  Tanimu Turaki, the Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, the Minister of Water Resources, Mrs. Sarah Ochekpe and the Minister of State, FCT,  Olajumoke Akinjide.

The President told the delegation to reassure the Golden Eaglets and their handlers of his personal confidence and expectations that they will maintain their excellent track-record in this year’s Championship, and crown their winning performances with another victory against the Mexicans tomorrow.

President Jonathan also conveyed to the Eaglets, through the delegation, the best wishes of all Nigerians for their victory and promised the team that together with all other patriotic Nigerians, within and outside the country, he will be cheering them on to victory during the match.

He looks forward to receiving them at the Presidential Villa and showing them the full appreciation of the nation when, as expected, they return in triumph to Nigeria.

U-17 World Cup: Nigeria Beat Sweden 3-0, Qualify For Final

Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets have booked their place in the final of the FIFA U-17 World Cup with a convincing 3-0 victory over Sweden.

Taiwo Awoniyi’s 20th minute strike gave the Manu Garba-led boys the lead, but the young lads had to endure pressure from their Scandinavian opponents all through the half.

However, goals from left back Samuel Okon and Chidera Ezeh late in the 2nd half gave Nigeria the victory.

Nigeria will now face Mexico who had earlier defeated South American giants, Argentina 3-0.

The defending champions, Mexico proved bookmakers wrong with a convincing victory over Argentina.

Two quick 1st half goals from Ivan Ochoa   in the 5th and 21st minute took the sting off the tie.

The Argentines who were yet to lose a game in the competition came up strong in the 2nd half but their efforts yielded no results as Mexico sealed the game when Marcos Granados found the back of the net in the 86th minute.

Nigeria and Mexico had earlier met in the tournament with Nigeria trashing the Mexicans 6-1.

Nigeria will be banking on the potent combination of Kelechi Iheanacho – one of the best players at the tournament with 5 goals and 7 assists and Taiwo Awoniyi who now has 3 goals in 2 games to earn victory in the final on Friday.

PDP National Secretary On Atiku

The National Secretary of The People’s Democratic Party, Prof Wale Oladipo, has described as baseless, the statement credited to the former Vice President Atiku Abubakar over his roles in the current leadership crisis rocking the national leadership of the party.

Prof Wale Oladipo said the statement was unfortunate, coming from someone who has benefited immensely from the goodwill of the PDP.

During a reunion meeting of party members from Ogun West Senatorial District in Idi Iroko, Ipokia Local Government Area, Professor Oladipo asked members to remain focused and united, as they look forward to the 2015 elections.

“The PDP has not fallen and will not fall but as for what His Excellency Alhaji Atiku Abubakar said, we will still love to believe that he was misquoted.”

“In case he was not misquoted and if we believe what the press reported that the plot to split PDP was hatched 4 months before our last mini convention; that will be most unfortunate from someone of his status within the party.

“I don’t want to join issues with an elderly Nigerian but for people, who have had the opportunity to benefit from this party, to be plotting against the party, I think I will leave it to Nigerians to decide what they think of such human beings.”

Kogi, Abia Students Get Scholarship

About 30 students who won laurels for their states and the country have been rewarded with scholarships up to university level.

In separate ceremonies in Kogi and Abia states, the two governors promised to ensure the education of the pupils by providing adequate sports equipment and fully equipped laboratories and libraries.

In a reception held at the Kogi State Government House for the students who made the state proud in the just concluded sport festival in Port Harcourt and in India, the state’s Commissioner Of Education, Mrs Grace Elebiyo encouraged the students to focus on their studies.

In his remark, the obviously pleased Kogi State Governor, Captain Idris Wada reiterated his administration’s commitment to promoting holistic education and announced several scholarships and cash awards for the students.

The event had Government officials, journalists, parents and well-wishers in attendance.

In Abia state, it was an elated Governor Theordore Orji who watched some of the pupils as they displayed the talents that gave them victories.

Chairman Abia State Universal Basic Education Board, Micah Onyebuchi then went on to present the laurels won by the pupils to Governor Orji.

The governor responded by announcing scholarship awards to the pupils. He also gave cash gifts to the pupils and their teachers as well as promotion for those in the Ministry Of Education.

PHCN Handover: Workers Gear Up For Industrial Action

The Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, workers are gearing up for a nationwide strike to prevent the planned Federal Government handover on the grounds that their terminal entitlements have not been fully paid.

The National Union of Electricity Employees, NUEE, has directed its members to withdraw their services from all installations in the event of provocation by armed military personnel.

A statement signed by the Secretary-General of the union, Mr. Joe Ajaero, said the plan of the Federal Government to hand over the power assets negated the agreement it reached with the union to resolve all outstanding labour issues.

Mr Ajaero insisted that the gratuity payment was only 68% completed and that no member of the union has had their pension contributions transferred into their retirement savings accounts.

He said, “those that retired from service since 2011 have not received their benefits totaling about 19billion Naira.  The differences of the shortfall of the terminal benefits from June 30, 2012 till date have not been considered for payment.

The statement further said “the question of 10% equity shareholding (in the companies) by the workers as statutorily provided has not been given attention”.

“While we appreciate and sympathise with the core investors, we ask for their understanding and that of the Nigerian public in our pursuit to ensure a seamless transition. We are resolute on receiving every kobo owed us, as we are sure such liabilities will not be borne by the new investors.”

It will be recalled that the Federal Government had earlier declared that it would go ahead with the physical hand over of the company’s assets to the new owners as scheduled on November the 1st, as announced by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry Of Power, Mr Godknows Igali, after a meeting with Vice President Namadi Sambo, on the power privatisation process.

President Jonathan Hails Oba Akiolu’s Exemplary Dedication To Service

President Goodluck Jonathan has congratulated Oba Rilwan Babatunde Akiolu I of Lagos as he marks 70 years on October 29.

In a statement signed by the Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity, Reuben Abati:

“President Jonathan joins the people of Lagos and Oba Akiolu’s friends, associates and peers across the country in felicitating with the monarch who has exhibited exemplary wisdom, courage, selflessness, philanthropy and dedication to the service of his people since his ascension to the revered throne of Lagos over 10 years ago”.

The President assures Oba Akiolu, on the occasion of his 70th birthday that the Federal Government will continue to work diligently, in cooperation with all other tiers of government in the country, towards progressively improving the living conditions of people in his domain and all other parts of Nigeria.

President Jonathan prayed that God will grant Oba Akiolu continued good health and many more years of commendable service to the people of Lagos and Nigeria.