Police Rescue Naval Officer In Ondo

 

The Commissioner of Police, Ondo State Command, CP Undie Adie, says a Naval Officer, Lt Commander Ajare Uchegbulah Amadi kidnapped by men of the underworld along Ago Ajayi, Oba Akoko road, Ondo State on May 17, 2020 has been released.

He was released Wednesday, May 27, 2020, in the early hours of the evening.

CP Adie said his release was sequel to the aggressive manhunt the Command and other sister agencies placed on his abductors, who on realizing that there was no place to hide any longer, abandoned him in the forest and took to their heels.

CP Adie warned travelers within this period to strictly adhere to the travel ban on inter State movement imposed by the Federal government as a means to curtail the spread of COVID-19, as these bad boys are using the advantage of the empty roads to advance their nefarious acts.

READ ALSO: Gunmen Abduct Nasarawa CAN Chairman

He however, said that the Ondo Police Command will never be that State that criminals would operate in without being tracked down.

CP Adie enjoined the good citizens of the State to go about their normal businesses, while urging them to always stay safe by keeping social distancing as they adhere to the directives of both the State and the Federal government on ways to stop the spread of COVID-19

And further seeks their supports in useful information sharing to enable the Command provide adequate and reliable policing of Ondo State.

COVID-19: Ondo Govt Lifts Ban On Religious Gatherings

Ondo State Governor, Rotimi Akeredolu

 

Ondo State Government has lifted the ban on religious gatherings, in churches and mosques.

Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu made the announcement at a press briefing on Wednesday.

He said churches will only operate on Sundays, while mosques will open for worship only on Fridays.

Akeredolu however emphasised that all the precautionary measures against the spread of COVID-19 such as the use of face-maks and social distancing should be strictly observed.

In the same vein, the state has recorded its second death from the virus in Ifedore LGA.

The deceased was said to have died at home.

There are now 24 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ondo State, with two deaths, 19 discharged and three still on admission.

NSCDC Arrest Man In Ondo For Allegedly Defiling His Two Daughters

 

 

A middle-aged man named, Femi Onifade has been arrested in Akure, the Ondo State capital by officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for allegedly defiling his two daughters.

The Commandant of the NSCDC in Ondo State, Mr Philip Ayuba, made the announcement in a statement signed by the command’s public relations officer, Mr Olufemi Omole.

He said that Onifade, 48, a welder defiled his two daughters, aged six and nine years.

Ayuba explained that the command’s Anti-Human Trafficking and Illegal Migration Unit, swung into action to arrest Onifade, based on intelligence.

READ ALSO: Police Kill Eight ‘Most Wanted’ Kidnappers In Taraba

The NSCDC boss noted that the suspect who is a resident of No. 27 Liberty Hospital Road, Oluwatuyi, Akure when they were informed about the crime.

Ayuba said the arrest was facilitated by the assistance of paramount ruler of Akure kingdom, the Deji of Akure, Oba Aladetoyinbo Aladelusi.

The Statement reads: “During initial interrogations, the suspect denied the allegations.

“However, we gathered that there had been a long-term disagreement between the man and his wife as a result of constant molestation and maltreatment.”

“Onifade Femi always seized the opportunity of his wife’s absence to harass the minors sexually.

“It was revealed that few days ago, the suspect bought a bottle of soft drink, mixed a powdery substance in it and gave the kids to drink.

“Onifade Femi went further to caress the kids and suck their private parts.”

“Neighbours reacted on hearing the wailing of the children throughout the night after sending out their mother.”

According to Ayuba, medical reports from the Federal Medical Centre, Akure revealed that the two kids have lost their hymen and their private parts deeply opened.

Ayuba disclosed that the suspect would be charged to court soon.

He restated the commitment of the NSCDC in combating all forms of criminal tendencies and social vices in Ondo State.

Governorship Election: Ondo PDP To Hold Primaries In July

The Peoples Democratic Party is one of the major political parties in Nigeria.
The Peoples Democratic Party is one of the major political parties in Nigeria.

 

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Ondo State will be holding its governorship primaries on July 22, 2020.

The National Organising Secretary of the party, Col. Austin Akobundun disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.

Akobundun noted that the primaries would be conducted by the party’s Gubernatorial Electoral Committee while the election will hold in the state on October 10, 2020.

According to the schedule, the last day for the submission of the names of the governorship candidate and the deputy candidate to the INEC is Tuesday, July 28, 2020.

It further stated that the last day for withdrawal and replacement of withdrawn candidate(s) by the National Working Committee of the party is August 18, 2020.

Road Accident Claims Two Lives In Ondo

 

A fatal road accident claimed the lives of two persons in Akure, Ondo State capital on Sunday evening.

The incident happened beside NNPC Mega Station, along Ilesha-Owo Expressway.

The accident involved a car with registration number: LAGOS FKJ 280 FF, and a motorcycle with registration number: ONDO LEL 434 WX.

The accident is said to have been caused by a trailer which lost control on top speed. In a bid to avoid colliding with the trailer, the motorcyclist rammed into a car coming at the opposite direction. This led to the death of the motorcyclist and his passenger.

The car was said to be damaged and set ablaze by irrate motorcyclists and sympathisers who rushed to the scene.

The Deputy Commander of Ondo State Command of FRSC, Olusegun Ogungbemide told Channels Television that the driver of the car managed to escape from the scene.

He disclosed that the remains of the deceased have been deposited at the mortuary.

He appealed to motorists to avoid over-speeding and ensure their vehicles are in good condition before putting them on the road.

Gunmen Abduct Military Officer In Ondo

 

A military officer has been kidnapped by some gunmen along Auga-Akoko in Akoko North-East Local Government Area of Ondo State.

The officer was said to be travelling alone in his car when he was kidnapped and taken into a nearby bush.

The Public Relations Officer of Ondo State Police Command, ASP Tee-Leo Ikoro confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Edo Govt Extends Curfew For 14 Days

He said, the man abducted is an army officer identified as Captain Gana. He was said to be on his way from Abuja to Ibadan and was accosted by the gunmen who abducted him in the Auga-Akoko area of Ondo State.

“He was taken into a nearby bush and the abductors allowed him to call a relation who informed our men in the Ikare-Akoko division.

“Unfortunately, before a team of police detectives got to the area, he had been moved away from the place, but his car was recovered by our men”.

Ikoro noted that the Commissioner of Police in the state, Undie Adie has ordered for a thorough search for the victim and secure his rescue as soon as possible.

He appealed to the law-abiding residents of the state not to entertain any fear assuring them of adequate security of their lives and property.

Ondo Discharges Five Recovered COVID-19 Patients

 

Ondo State has discharged five recovered COVID-19 patients from the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) in Akure, after testing negative.

This brings the total number of cases discharged in the state to 11.

The Ondo State Commissioner for Information and Orientation, Donald Ojogo disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday.

READ ALSO: Adamawa Discharges Five Recovered COVID-19 Patients

He said, “This is to announce that five patients of the dreaded coronavirus have been treated and discharged.

“Against this backdrop, only four active cases are currently being monitored in accordance with the globally-accepted protocols at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH)”.

Ondo Records First Death From COVID-19

File photo/ AFP

 

Ondo State has recorded its first death from coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Commissioner for Health in the state, Dr Wahab Adegbenro, confirmed this to Channels Television on Monday.

Ondo has reported 15 cases of COVID-19 with eight active cases and one fatality.

Six other patients who recovered from the disease have since been discharged.

Meanwhile, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 248 new COVID-19 infections, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 4,399.

READ ALSO: Troops Raid Bandits’ Hideouts In Kaduna, Kill 17

In its latest update on the disease, the health agency said the figure of patients discharged so far has risen to 778 and 143 people have died.

The new cases were recorded in 17 states with Lagos having 81 cases, Jigawa 35, Borno and Kano States 26 each, and Bauchi 20.

Thirteen new infections were reported in the Federal Capital Territory, 12 in Edo, 10 in Sokoto, seven in Zamfara, four each in Kwara and Kebbi states, two each in Gombe, Taraba and Ogun states, as well as one case each in Osun and Bayelsa states.

Ondo State recorded no new case.

Ondo FRSC Intercepts Truck Conveying 13 Youths

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.
The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of ‘northern extraction’ was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

 

The Ondo State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) on Saturday said it intercepted a truck conveying no fewer than 13 people of “northern extraction”.

The visitors were hidden in the midst of goods in a truck, entering Akure, the state capital before they were intercepted at FUTA junction, the FRSC said.

This information was contained in a statement made available to Channels Television by the Head of Operation, FRSC in Ondo State, Mr Olusegun Ogungbemide, and signed by the state Sector Commander, Mr Rotimi Adeleye.

In the statement, Adeleye explained that the patrol team of the command, who promptly responded to the call of a sensitive member of the public, intercepted the vehicle at South gate junction of the Federal University of Technology, Akure on Saturday.

The statement reads in part: “Today Saturday, our patrol team intercepted a truck conveying about 13 male youth from outside the state into Akure the capital of Ondo state.”

According to the statement, “The driver of the vehicle claimed to have picked the boys suspected to be of Northern extract on his way from Ibadan, Oyo State.”

It also noted that “the Nigeria Police and Ondo state COVID-19 monitoring team were invited and the boys were handed over to them.”

“The Nigeria Police and state task force on COVID-19 promised to lead them out of the state accordingly.”

Few days ago, the Ondo state task force on COVID-19 apprehended about 20 people, including men, women and children coming all the way from Sokoto State in Akure.

 

Below are more photos from the scene:

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

The Ondo FRSC said a truck ferrying 13 young men of 'northern extraction' was intercepted in the capital city, Akure, on May 9, 2020.

Policemen Injure Midwife In Ondo

The victim, Modupe Ajasa, accused some policemen of injuring her in the Ode-Irele area of Ondo State.

 

 

Some policemen in the Odo-Irele area of Ondo State have injured a health worker who was called to rescue an emergency case of delivery in a hospital.

Channels Television gathered that the victim, Modupe Ajama, a registered midwife was on her way to the hospital around 8pm on Monday when she met four different police checkpoints.

Ajama explained to them that she is a midwife and there was an emergency situation she was going to attend to at work, showing them her identity card.

She was released at the first, second, and third checkpoints, while on a motorcycle.

It was gathered that two officers at the fourth checkpoint were said to have thrown a log of wood at the motorcyclist while in motion, which made him lose control of the motorcycle and both of them fell and sustainable serious injuries.

READ ALSO: Niger Extends COVID-19 Lockdown By Two Weeks

The policemen were said to have fled the scene without attending to the wounded midwife and motorcyclist.

Unfortunately, the woman could not recognise the security operatives who attacked her because it was dark.

When contacted, the spokesperson for the State Police Command, Tee-Leo Ikoro, claimed that those who attacked the woman were vigilante men and not the police.

He said when the motorcyclist sighted the vigilante men at a distance, he quickly made an attempt to turn back, thereby losing control and crashing into a ditch and sustaining injuries.

See photos below:

COVID-19: Suspected Case Who Escaped From Ondo Hospital Returns

 

A man who is suspected to be positive for coronavirus who escaped from the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital, Ondo, has returned to the hospital.

The Chief Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr. Oluwole Ige made this disclosure in Ondo town.

He said the patient has shown symptoms of the disease, stressing that his report is still being expected.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: My Govt Is Committed To This Fight – Governor Matawalle

His words, “I can tell you that the patient has returned to the hospital. We are on top of the situation. He is still a suspected case.

“We are waiting for the result of the test conducted for him and two others.”

Meanwhile, while the rumour broke out yesterday evening, the Commissioner for Health, Dr. Wahab Adegbenro the debunked incident.

The suspected patient was said to have absconded from the Hospital Complex in Ondo town on Saturday.

The patient was said to have been on admission at the Accident and Emergency unit of the of the Hospital.

Suspected Killer Of Funke Olakunrin, Two Others Test Positive For COVID-19

 

Ondo State has reported three new positive cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total number of infections in the state to seven.

The state governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, announced this in a series of tweets on Sunday.

He disclosed that one of the new cases was a suspect arraigned in a court in Akure, the state capital on Friday last week.

The suspect was among the four men arraigned at a Chief Magistrate Court sitting in Akure over the killing of Mrs Funke Olakunrin, the daughter of the National Leader of Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti.

READ ALSO: Police Arrest Suspected Killers Of Catholic Seminarian In Kaduna

Governor Akeredolu noted that the Commissioner of Police in the state had been duly informed about the status of the infected suspect, although he did not disclose his identity.

He added that they have begun the line tracing of police officers and others in the facility where the suspect was detained.

The governor stated that the suspect has been isolated from others in detention and would be moved to the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) for treatment.

According to him, the police commissioner gave an assurance that the State Command will ensure adequate security of the IDH premises to prevent the suspect from escaping.

Governor Akeredolu’s tweets revealed that Ondo has six active cases of COVID-19 while the index case has since been discharged.

The state has yet to report any death from the disease.

See the governor’s tweets below:

 

The Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, had announced the arrest of the four suspected killers of Olakunrin in a statement on April 16.

They are Lawal Mazaje from the Felele area of Kogi State, Adamu Adamu from Jada area of Adamawa State, Mohammed Usman from Illela area of Sokoto State, and Auwal Abubakar from Shinkafi area of Zamfara State.

One of the suspects – Abubakar – was arrested on March 4 along the Sagamu-Ore Expressway in Ondo, in a follow-up action on a case of a high-profile armed robbery and kidnap for ransom that occurred in Ogun State.

His arrest led to the arrest of two other members of the gang –Usman and Mazaje – in Benin, the Edo State capital, as well as Adamu in Akure.

During an Identification Parade at the Federal SARS Headquarters in Lagos on April 8, a survivor of the incident that led to Olakunrin’s death identified three of the suspects and gave a clear description of the roles.