Woman Arrested For Cutting Off Hand Over Insurance Payment

 

A Slovenian woman and her relative have been detained for allegedly cutting off her hand with a circular saw to get nearly 400,000 euros ($450,000) in insurance compensation, police said Monday.

The 21-year-old and her relative, 29, face up to eight years in prison on charges of attempted fraud.

“With one of her accomplices, she intentionally amputated her hand at the wrist with a circular saw, hoping to stage it as an accident,” police spokesman Valter Zrinski told a news conference.

READ ALSO: Policeman Kills Colleague In Gun Game

The woman is thought to have staged the incident, together with three relatives, earlier this year shortly after the group signed life and injury insurance contracts with five different insurance companies.

All four were arrested initially, but two were released.

The woman was hoping to get around 380,000 euros of compensation and a life-long monthly payout of some 3,000 euros, police said.

The group intentionally left the hand behind rather than bringing it with them to the hospital, hoping to receive three times higher compensation for permanent disability, police said.

But authorities managed to pick up the hand in time, and doctors in a hospital in the capital Ljubljana managed to sew it back on, Zrinski said.

The average monthly net income is around 1,000 euros in Slovenia.

AFP

United Confirm Huge Mourinho Pay-Off

Jose Mourinho (file copy)

 

Manchester United revealed on Thursday that sacking Jose Mourinho cost the club nearly £20 million, with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward hailing the impact of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

The sum of £19.6 million ($25 million) which is listed under “exceptional items” in the club’s second-quarter results, includes pay-outs for the members of Mourinho’s staff who left with him after he was sacked in December.

The fortunes of the Premier League club have been transformed since Solskjaer took the helm as interim boss.

United are now in the top four after being 11 points adrift of the Champions League places when Mourinho left.

Solskjaer won 10 and drew one of his opening 11 games but the remarkable run came to an end on Tuesday, when United were beaten 2-0 at home in the Champions League by Paris Saint-Germain.

Speaking on a conference call with investors, Woodward hailed the “fantastic start” under the Norwegian, who set a club record by winning his first eight matches in charge.

READ ALSO: United Can Progress Despite PSG Defeat, Says Herrera

But he refused to be drawn on the process of appointing a new permanent boss.

“We communicated around December-time about what we were doing putting Ole in place as a caretaker and the next communication with regard to this will be when we have something to announce regarding the manager,” he said. “We’re not going to give updates part-way through.”

And he was also coy on the club’s reported move for a director of football.

“A lot has obviously been written about this…. With regard to the overall structure, we are looking at that and looking at ways that we can make it stronger and that is something we do on a continual basis,” he said.

In their earnings report, the club announced record revenues of £208.6 million for the quarter, which translate into earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) of £104.3 million and an operating profit of £44 million.

As well as replacing the Mourinho regime with Solskjaer and assistant manager Mike Phelan, the club have recently agreed new contracts with Anthony Martial, Ashley Young, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Scott McTominay.

The club’s wage bill for the quarter, which ended on December 31, was £77.9 million, an increase of 11.8 percent on the corresponding period a year ago.

Real Madrid last month knocked Manchester United off the top of Deloitte’s Football Money League after two years at the top for the Premier League club.

United’s share price, which hit $17.28 in New York in December, is now heading back towards $20.

AFP

South Korea Announces Hike In Payment For US Troops

South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-Wha (R) and Timothy Betts, acting Deputy Assistant Secretary and Senior Advisor for Security Negotiations and Agreements in the US Department of State, shake hands before their meeting at Foreign Ministry in Seoul on February 10, 2019.
Lee Jin-man / POOL / AFP

 

Seoul announced on Sunday that it has agreed to hike its payment for maintaining American troops on its soil, settling a dispute with its longtime ally ahead of a second summit between the United States and North Korea.

The two countries have been in a security alliance since the 1950-53 Korean war, which ended with an armistice rather than a peace treaty — with more than 28,000 US troops stationed in the South to guard against threats from Pyongyang.

But US President Donald Trump has repeatedly complained about the expense of keeping American forces on the peninsula, with Washington reportedly asking Seoul to double its contribution toward costs.

The negotiations ended with South Korea’s foreign ministry saying Seoul will pay about 1.04 trillion won (US$924 million) in 2019, 8.2 per cent more than what is offered under a previous five-year pact which expired at the end of last year.

The ministry said that although the US had demanded a “huge increase” in payment, they were able to reach an agreement that reflects “the security situation of the Korean peninsula”.

READ ALSO: South Korea Probes Sports Sex Assault Allegations

“The two countries reaffirmed… the importance of a strong South Korea-US alliance and the need for a stable stationing of the US troops,” it said in a statement issued after a signing ceremony.

The row had raised concern that Trump may use it as an excuse for US withdrawal.

The US president and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are expected to discuss an official declaration to end the decades-old war — a prelude to a peace treaty — at their second summit in Hanoi later this month.

At their first meeting in Singapore last year, the notoriously unpredictable US president had made a shock decision to suspend US-South Korea military drills.

But Trump told US broadcaster CBS last week that he had “no plans” to remove US troops from South Korea as part of a deal at the upcoming summit, although he admitted “maybe someday” he would withdraw them, adding: “It’s very expensive to keep troops there.”

Since the deal is only valid for one year, the two sides may soon have to return to the negotiating table.

Seoul contributed around 960 billion won last year — more than 40 per cent of the total bill — financing the construction of American military facilities and paying South Korean civilians working on US bases.

The deal will officially go into effect after it receives parliamentary approval in South Korea, which is expected to take place in April, according to Yonhap news agency.

AFP

Ortom Orders Payment Of Arrears To Lobi Stars

Benue State Governor Samuel Ortom

 

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has ordered the immediate payment of all outstanding allowances owed the technical crew and players of Lobi Stars of Makurdi.

The governor gave the order on Wednesday when he received the players and management of the club after they emerged champions of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL) for the 2017/2018 season.

Following months of insecurity, Ortom said the victory is one of the best things that has happened to the state so far.

He also approved a state banquet to honour the players, shortly after receiving the CAF confirmation letter for the club.

On his part, the Vice Chairman of the club, Mike Idoko, said the team is excited about the opportunity to play at the Confederation of African Football level, 19 years after the club last tasted glory.

Niger Governor Approves N2.06 Billion For Pensioners’ Arrears

Niger State, Abubakar Bello, Beji ElectrificationThe Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello has directed the release of the sum of 2.06 billion naira for the payment of 1,341 pensioners’ backlog of all arrears with immediate effect.

The Director General, Niger State Pension Board, Usman Muhammad made the disclosure in an interview with Channels Television in Minna.

He said that 1,096 local government retirees and 255 pensioners in the state civil service were to benefit from the payment.

He however stated that the board will begin payment with state pensioners that left the service under the old pension scheme before others receive their entitlements.

Mr Muhammad said that those to be paid would have to provide among others their letters of first appointment and disengagement from the service while relations of deceased workers must produce the death certificate of their relation they intend to claim their entitlements.

The Director General warned that the board would not tolerate any sharp practices during the payment’s as the full weight of the law would be brought on any one, including staff of the board that tried to circumvent the process.

He emphasized that the board was ‘critically looking into the problems associated with the pensioners that fall under the new Contributory Pension Scheme’s (CPS) with a view to ensuring they received their benefits as soon as possible’.

Mr Mohammad assured to make a different by re-positioning the board even as he believed that the payment of the entitlements of pensioners ‘will not only reflate the economy but will make those affected happy’.

He added that the governor out of magnanimity has approved the Group Life Insurance and three years emolument to next of kin as a result of death of bread winner.

NMA Offers To Help Ascertain Suntai’s Health Status

The Nigerian Medical Association has offered to constitute a board to ascertain the true health status of the Taraba state governor, Danbaba Suntai.

After its national executive council meeting in Abuja, the NMA president, Mr Osahon Onabulele said the proposed board would make available experts to put an end to the lingering political crisis in the state.

The NMA also urged the National Assembly to urgently establish the office of the surgeon-general of Nigeria, who can independently assess the medical fitness of public and political office holders.

The association gave the federal government a 21-day ultimatum with effect from Monday, the 2nd of September 2013, to address the challenges surrounding the nation’s health sector, including the non-payment of wages to doctors and health workers.

Ajimobi Approves Pension Payment Of Retired Oyo Teachers

Pensioners in Oyo state are in joyous mood as the Oyo State Governor; Abiola Ajimobi ordered the commencement of pension payment to retired primary school teachers under the State Local Government Staff Pension Board with effect from Tuesday, February 19, 2013.

State Local Government Staff Pension Board, AlhajiLasisi Ayankojo who handed the money over to the pensioners said the payment covers the pension for the month of January 2013.

He added that the governor has provided enough money for timely monthly payment of the pension.

FG Approves Payment Of PHCN Staff

Efforts to clear the huddles hampering the successful privatization of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) appears to be yielding fruit, as the Federal Government has approved the immediate payment of the agreed entitlements of the staff of the PHCN.

Briefing state house correspondents after the Federal Executive Council meeting in Abuja, the Minister of Labour; Emeka Wogu enjoined the labour union in the power sector to work closely with the government to ensure steady power supply to Nigerians.

The disagreement between the ministry of power and the electricity workers over the payment of entitlements had slowed the privatization process due to threats of industrial action by the workers.

We’re not going on strike for oil marketers but for workers – NUPENG

The president of  the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Achese Igwe has argued that the industrial action threatened by the union is not for the payment of oil subsidies to fraudulent oil marketers but to secure the payment of  salaries to workers in the sector.

Mr. Igwe was on Channels Television’s breakfast show, Sunrise Daily, to explain the reasons for the impending strike which has already grounded the Federal Capital Territory, leaving the residents to resort to black market for fuel.

The Minister of Finance, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, recently alleged that the oil workers union was working in connivance with the oil marketers to blackmail the federal government over the payment of fuel subsidy.

The union leader however accused the federal government of non-compliance to earlier agreements with the union which included agreement on subsidy payments, repair of bad roads across the country plied by oil distributing trucks and refinery maintenance.

According to Mr Igwe, some of the workers in the sector are currently being owed salaries for over three months.

Reacting to the planned strike by NUPENG, the spokesman for the Civil Liberty Organsation, Abah Ejembi speaking from Channels Television’s Abuja studio, urged the union not to put the lives of over 160 million Nigerians at risk with the struggle for their union members,  that number about 15,000 by compelling the federal government to pay the subsidy claims that are shrouded in fraud.

Mr. Abah Ejembi claimed that NUPENG is fighting the battle for their ‘bosses’-the oil marketers who are entangled in allegations of fraudulent claims in the management of the nation’s fuel subsidy regime with the Ministry of Finance.

SUNRISE DAILY PART 1

SUNRISE DAILY PART 2

SUNRISE DAILY PART 3

SUNRISE DAILY PART 4

SUNRISE DAILY PART 5