IBB Reacts To Chibok Girls Release

IBBA former military president in Nigeria, General Ibrahim Babangida, has rejoiced with the families, people of Nigeria and indeed Nigerian government over the release of 21 of the abducted Chibok Girls.

In a statement through Mahmud Abdullahi, the Former Military President popularly known as IBB, said it was a thing of joy for the girls to have been reunited with their families after being taken away in such painfully and abrupt manner for over two and half years.

He noted that the release of the 21 girls signalled a hope, after such moments of despair that the abduction of over 200 Schools girls brought to their families, the entire country and the global community.

Hasten Negotiations

General Babangida stated that it was gratifying to see the release of 21 of the girls, after delicate negotiations with the Boko Haram saying that “it is an indication that President Muhammadu Buhari’s government is committed to ensuring safe release of the girls”.

He further applauded the effort of President Buhari and the resilience showed thus far on the release of abducted Chibok school girls despite the general lethargy and dampening spirit caused by the mode of operation of the deadly group.

He also, urged the, Federal Government, security agents and other partners to hasten negotiations to free the remaining girls and rehabilitate them from psychological trauma they might have encountered in the last two and half years.

The former military President reaffirmed his belief in the professional capability of the Nigerian Armed Forces and other security agencies in ensuring that they put an end to the activities of the Boko Haram sect in the northeast completely.

He maintained that the Nigerian Armed Forces had the training and the professional background to end all forms of security threat to the nation such as kidnappings, armed robbery, cattle rustling, farmers-herders clashes and other forms of vandalism.

The former Nigerian leader also called on all Nigerians to offer all forms of assistance to the released Chibok girls in order to overcome the mental, physical and psychological trauma they have gone through over the past two and half.

The Nigerian government had promised to immediately rehabilitate the released girls.

Chibok Community Accuses Borno State Government Of Falsehood

Chibok-girlsThe Kibaku Area Development Union, an umbrella body for the Chibok community in Borno State, says claims by the Borno State Governor Kasim Shettima, that the community insisted that their wards take their final exams in Chibok, rather than in Maiduguri, the state capital, are false.

The chairman of the association, Mr Hosea Tsambido, asked the government and his aides to desist from blaming the parents and families of the abducted girls for the incidence.

Mr Tsambido urged the government to channel its energy at ensuring that the girls returned home safely.

He further stressed that making such allegations and statements would only further traumatise the community.

The association urged government at all levels to avoid wiping unnecessary sentiments with the issues.

It has been more than 11 months since the over 200 girls were abducted from the Government Girls Secondary School Chibok in Borno State by members of the terrorist group the Boko Haram.

Last week, a spokesman for the military said the chances of getting back the Chibok girls were within the totality of ongoing operations against the terrorist group.

The military has increased offensive against the Boko Haram sect in the last few weeks after Nigeria’s general elections dates were postponed by six weeks. The elections will hold on March 28 and April 11.

 


 

Christian Traditional Rulers Pray For Nigeria

Chibok girls videoAs the call for the release of over 200 hundred abducted school girls in Chibok on 14th April intensifies,the Traditional Rulers across the Country under the aegis of Fellowship of Christian Traditional Rulers of Nigeria have equally added their voice for the release of the abducted girls.

The School girls have been in captivity for eighty eight days in the camp of Boko Haram.

They appealed to Nigerians not to be wary in their intercessory prayers for the nation especially at a time like this when Nigeria is facing enormous security challenges.

The Traditional rulers gave this charge in Owerri,the Imo State Capital at their 17th national conference organised to carry Nigerians along in praying for the peace and stability of the country and ultimately for  the safe return of the abducted Chibok girls.

They appealed to the Boko Haram sect to listen to the plea of Nigerians and will release the girls.
They said terrorism is not the best option to express any grievance against the government and called on the Federal Government to tackle the issue by engaging the sect in a dialogue so as to end the ugly menace of terrorism in the country.

Present at the conference were, the National President of FECTRON, Olu of Warri, His Royal Majesty Ogiame Atuwatse 11 and other notable traditional rulers from  Kwara,Osun, Ondo and Ekiti States.

.

Group In U.S. Demands Release Of Abducted Chibok Girls

Chibok-girls-protest-in-USA group of sympathisers has converged on New York in the United States to campaign for the release of 223 school girls still held by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect that abducted over 270 girls from the Government Girls Secondary School in Chibok.

In a public demonstration, the protesters, comprising people from all walks of life, made an impassioned call for the girls’ release, counting down their numbers.

Though they are not directly linked with the girls, they came out in their numbers chanting; “Bring back our girls” as they protest in New York.

They held placards with different inscriptions, demanding the release of the girls who were abducted on April 14.

A similar protest by mainly concerned women and relatives of the girls is holding in Nigeria. The protest Started on Wednesday and the women had said they would not stop until a concrete action had been taken by the government.

A police report on Friday puts the number of the abducted girls at 276.

Borno State Commissioner of Police (CP), Tanko Lawan, gave the revised number while briefing reporters in Borno State.

“So far, we have established that no fewer than girls were abducted at the Government Girls Secondary School (GGSS), Chibok on April 14, 2014 by suspected members of the Boko Haram Terrorist Group”.

“out of the 276 abducted students of the school, 53 female students have been rescued; while 223 are still missing; and suspected being held by Boko Haram terrorists in various parts of the state,” he said.

Chibok Girls: Women Ask Government To Seek Foreign Assistance

Protesting-women-in-Abuja-ChibokConcerned women and relatives of over 200 secondary school girls abducted on April 14 in Chibok, Borno State have called on the Nigerian government to seek foreign assistance for the rescue of the girls.

The women reconvened at the Unity Fountain in Abuja on Friday to push for concerted efforts by the government to rescue the young girls.

They said that the government was treating the issue with levity, declaring that they remain resolute in compelling the government to do all it can to rescue the children.

It is the third day of the protest that started 16 days after the girls were abducted by suspected members of the Boko Haram sect after attacking the Chibok community.

At about 3.30pm local time, they made their way to the Unity Fountain where they settled down for deliberations of the day.

They called for the cooperation of external agencies in bringing back the girls to their parents.

While many say that the priority of government at the moment should be how to protect the lives of young Nigerians, some young girls said their lives were in danger in their own country.

The protesting women seem not to be alone in the fight for the rescue of the girls, as the Vice President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Tunde Aremu, pledged to put pressure on the government until the girls are released.

One of the women leading the protest and a former Minister of Education, Dr Oby Ezekwesili, said they would continue the protest at the same venue until the girls were rescued by the government.

The Joint Task Force fighting the insurgents in the north east said they were making efforts to rescue the girls.