Six suspected armed robbers have been shot dead in Edo State along the notorious Oluku, Benin bypass, during a gun duel between Police and the robbers.
The Edo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Folusho Adebanjo, told Channels Television that Men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) on routine patrol along the Benin Expressway had responded to a distress call, and on arrival engaged the robbers in a gun battle.
According to CP Adebanjo, one of the robbers who survived the operation confessed that they have been terrorising passengers and drivers along the route, which is popularly referred to as a haven for criminals.
One AK 47 rifle and machetes were recovered from the armed bandits.
CP Adebanjo also gave a stern warning to criminals that the state would remain unsafe for them throughout the festive period and in the coming year.
Six kidnap suspects have been gunned down at Azia, Ihiala local Government Area of Anambra state as they tried to escape with their victim.
Addressing newsmen at the headquarters of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) Awkuzu, the state Police Public Relations officer, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka, narrated the story of the kidnap suspects who kidnapped one Mr. Sunday Okoye from Awka and were headed for the neighboring Delta state when luck ran out of them as they encountered the men of the Anambra state police command.
The suspects, a six man gang, opened fire on the police and in the gun duel that lasted for about five hours, four of them lost their lives.
The kidnap victim however sustained minor bullet injuries and is presently receiving treatment in a hospital.
Two of the remaining kidnaps suspects arrested alive also later gave up the ghost due to severe gunshot wounds.
Mr. Chukwuemeka also revealed that the notorious gang was responsible for the death of one Deputy Superintendent of Police and sector commander of Central Police Station, Onitsha, Mr. Emma Ochiobi, who was gunned down in a mechanic workshop this year.
Three other unlucky victims kidnapped by this same gang since December last year have not been seen till present.
The Anambra state police spokesman also revealed that dangerous weapons recovered from the kidnap suspects includes three AK47 rifles, 36 magazines and 446 rounds of AK ammunition.
The Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) in Anambra state have arrested three gangs terrorizing some areas of the state.
The gangs were operating in the Nnewi, Awka, Aniocha and Orumba local government areas of the state.
The three gangs arrested separately and paraded at the Headquarters of SARS in Awkuzu, Anambra state,were alleged to be specialists in armed robbery, assassination and rape.
Addressing journalists, the Anambra state Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka said the suspects who are 16 in number, while one lost his life during a gun battle with the police, have been terrorizing Onitsha, Nawfia, Enugwu-agidi, Agulu, Awka, Nnewi, Oko and Awgbu.
The arrest, according to him, will bring respite to people living in those areas.
Some of the suspects admitted their involvement in armed robbery and other crimes while others denied.
The Inspector General of Police, Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, today said “heads will roll” in the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) should any officer be found wanting following the on-going investigations into the recent terrorist attack.
Scores of gunmen suspected to be terrorists stormed the SARS office in Abuja early hours of Monday, November 26 killing some policemen while a number of detainees are said to have escaped the detention facility.
The police boss told journalists in Abuja during his visit to the Federal Capital Territory Police Command that once investigations into the incident are concluded soon, the next line of action will be determined and no one culpable will be spared.
He appealed to Nigerians to rest, assured that the days of insecurity will be over regardless of the daunting challenges.
The Nigerian Police Force has denied claims by an unknown Islamic group, the Jama’atu Ansarul Muslimina Fi Biladis-Sudan, that they have released about 300 detainees from the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) headquarters in Abuja.
Police Deputy Public Relations Officer, Mr Frank Mba, told journalists in Abuja that the claims are false and an attempt to mislead Nigerians.
He added that the SARS facility that was attacked does not have the capacity to hold the numbers claimed to have been released.
He also added that the ensuing gun battle and tactical maneuver by the police will not allow for such a number to be moved from such a facility even if it were true.
He urged Nigerians to not glorify such claims as the police force continues to work with other security agencies to ensure the safety of lives and properties.