The Presidential Campaign Council (PCC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is making moves to expand its 422-member list of powerbrokers tasked with ensuring victory for Bola Tinubu.
The inauguration of the council and the prayer walk was scheduled for Wednesday.
But the PCC Director-General, Simon Lalong, in a statement late Monday said the need for the expansion of the list is to “accommodate more stakeholders and interests within the APC family”.
“Recall that we had earlier earmarked a peace walk and prayers for Wednesday, September 28, 2022, to officially kick off our campaigns for the 2023 Presidential Elections. We had also announced that the members of the Campaign Council report to the Campaign Headquarters on that day to collect their letters of appointment.
“However, due to the expansion of the list to accommodate more stakeholders and interests within the APC family, we have decided to adjust the timetable of these activities in order to ensure everyone is on board before activities officially commence.
“Consequently, the activities earlier announced for the 28th of September will no longer hold,” the governor said, adding that a new date and timetable will be released soon.
In the list released on Friday, the ruling party had excluded some supposed rivals of Tinubu, a development that created subtle controversy over the weekend, especially because some of the excluded persons contested the presidential primary of the APC.
Others have been vocal against the Muslim-Muslim ticket of the APC.
Among the persons excluded are Vice President Yemi Osinbajo; Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Boss Mustapha; former Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir Lawal; former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara and a former Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba.