Police Arrest Ahmed Salkida Declared Wanted By Military

Ahmed-SalkidaOne of the individuals placed on wanted list by the Nigerian Army for alleged link with Boko Haram terrorist group, Ahmed Salkida, has been arrested in Abuja, security source said on Monday.

The journalist, who released a Boko Haram video showing abducted Chibok girls from Nigeria’s northeast, was arrested at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport in Abuja, the nation’s capital city.

A source at the Airport told Channels Television that Nigeria secret police officials, who arrested him were aware of his arrival from Dubai through the passengers’ manifest usually sent by airlines to their destinations.

The source said he was arrested at about 4:30p.m. local time by operatives at the tarmac of the airport and had been taken into custody by the security agency.

After the video of the abducted girls was made public, the Nigerian army declared Salkida and two others wanted in connection with the video.

Spokesman for the Army, Colonel Sani Usman, said that the suspects, Salkida, (Ambassador) Ahmed Bolori and Aisha Wakil had information on the conditions and the exact location of these girls.

The girls were abducted on April 14, 2014 from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, while they were preparing for their Secondary School Certificate examinations.

Their abduction triggered wide protests across nations, with a slogan, “Bring Back Our Girls”.

Giving reasons for declaring them wanted, Colonel Usman said that two recent incidents had pointed to the fact that the suspects were connected to the terrorist group.

In his reaction to the declaration by the army, Mr Salkida, who was not in Nigeria at that time, said that he was prepared to return to Nigeria and had indeed kick started the process to honour the invitation.

Carrying Out Professional Duties

In a statement issued days after he was declared wanted, Mr Salkida said that the army knew he was not in Nigeria prior to being declared wanted.

He pointed out that his return home would be quickened if the government could fund his trip.

Salkida added that the army was declaring him wanted for simply carrying out his professional duties as a journalist, stressing that he does most of his work with ‘total allegiance and sacrifice to the Federal Republic of Nigeria’.

“Clearly, my status as a Nigerian journalist, who has reported extensively, painstakingly and consistently on the Boko Haram menace in the country since 2006 is an open book known to Nigerians and the international community,” he said.

The other persons that were declared wanted had turned themselves in for questioning.

 

Boko Haram Video: Bolori, Wakili On Wanted List Report To Army

Bolori, Wakili link with Boko HaramTwo out of the three persons declared wanted by the Nigerian Army on Sunday in connection with the latest Boko Haram video on the abducted Chibok girls have turned themselves in.

The acting spokesman for the Nigerian Army, Colonel Sani Usman, told Channels Television on Monday that while Ahmed Bolori, who is based in Maiduguri, reported at the army base in Maiduguri, Aisha Wakil reported at the Defence Headquarters in Abuja.

Colonel Usman, however, said that the two were released after questioning.

He had in an earlier statement said that the suspects, Bolori and Wakil and the third person, Ahmed Salkida, had information on the conditions and the exact location of the over 200 abducted girls.

They were abducted on April 14, 2014 from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, while they were preparing for their Secondary School Certificate examinations.

Colonel Usman said that two recent incidents had pointed to the fact that the suspects were connected to the terrorist group.

The Third Wanted Person

Meanwhile, the third wanted person, Salkida and Wakil had expressed shock at the decision of the army to declare them wanted.

In his reaction to the declaration by the army, Mr Salkida, who is not in Nigeria at the moment, said that he was prepared to return to Nigeria and had indeed kick started the process to honour the invitation.

A statement issued by Mr Salkida on Monday said that the army knew he was not in Nigeria prior to being declared wanted.

He said that his return home would be quickened if the government could fund his trip.

Salkida added that the army was declaring him wanted for simply carrying out his professional duties as a journalist, stressing that he does most of his work with ‘total allegiance and sacrifice to the Federal Republic of Nigeria’.

On her part, Mrs Wakil insisted that she had been fighting for peace long before the Chibok girls were kidnapped and was well known to the security operatives.

She wondered why she was being declared missing since she did not have a shady character.

”I have had meetings with (the) Chief of Army Staff and his people.

“I told them the way forward, to allow me come with some commanders of Boko Haram and discuss with them and present the release of CBGS.

“But they chose to do things their own ways only and never gave considerations to any of my suggestions,” she said in a statement.

Boko Haram Video: Analyst Asks Military To Work With Journalist

Tanwa Ashiru, Military, Boko Haram Video, An intelligence analyst, Tanwa Ashiru, has called on the military to rethink its decision to declare the journalist and two others wanted, over the newly released Boko Haram video.

She told Channels Television on Monday that instead, the government should explore ways of collaborating with the journalist, Ahmed Salkida towards achieving the ultimate objective of defeating the dreaded insurgents.

“The military instead, should try to figure how to work with the journalist and the other lady, who they were declaring wanted.

“It is not by coming out and making them seem as if they are part of Boko Haram, they are not!” she said on Sunrise Daily.

The Right Way To Go

Ashiru questioned why the military did not declare the CNN correspondent wanted, being the purported source of a previous released Boko Haram video.

She explained that Salkida might have received the video via an email and did what any journalist would do, insisting that it was not proper to declare him wanted.

“I don’t think it is actually the right way to go. Personally, I would think the best way to go about it (is to) be more diplomatic.

“You can’t just disrespect journalists because they are Nigerians and say that’s why we are going to declare them wanted. That’s not the proper way to go about it,” the analyst said.

The Boko Haram had on Sunday released a new video of the Chibok Girls.

It showed some girls they claimed were the schoolgirls they abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria.

They were abducted on April 14, 2014 from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, while they were preparing for their Secondary School Certificate Examinations.

News of the video release first emerged on Twitter, with Nigerian Blogger, Ahmed Salkida, claiming it was sent to him by the Abubakar Shekau faction of the Boko Haram.

The Nigerian Army subsequently declared Salkida and two others, (Ambassador) Ahmed U. Bolori and Aisha Wakil, wanted in connection with the latest video of the abducted Chibok girls.

Spokesman of the Army, Colonel Sani Usman, alleged that the suspects had information on the conditions and the exact location of the girls.

He claimed that two recent incidents had pointed to the fact that the suspects were connected to the terrorist group.

Army Declares Journalist, Others Wanted Over Links With Boko Haram Video

Army, Nigeria, Boko Haram chibok girlsThe Nigerian Army has declared three persons wanted in connection with the latest video of the abducted Chibok girls released by Boko Haram on Sunday.

Spokesman for the Army, Colonel Sani Usman, said that the suspects, Ahmed Salkida, (Ambassador) Ahmed Bolori and Aisha Wakil had information on the conditions and the exact location of these girls.

They were abducted on April 14, 2014 from their school’s dormitory in Chibok, while they were preparing for their Secondary School Certificate examinations.

Colonel Usman said that two recent incidents had pointed to the fact that the suspects were connected to the terrorist group.

He said: “The Nigerian Army hereby declare the two gentlemen and the lady wanted for interrogation.

“We are relying on the relevant laws of the land and in particular the Terrorism Prevention Act 2011 (as amended) where Nigerians could be punished for failure to disclose information about terrorists or terrorists’ activities.

“This become necessary as a result of their link with the last two videos released by Boko Haram Terrorists and other findings of our preliminary investigations”.

Ahmed Salkida is a journalist and the member of the Boko Haram that spoke in the video said they do not speak with the government except journalists. His inclusion in the list of the wanted persons is not unconnected with the statement.

New Video Of Chibok Girls

The army also urged Nigerians to provide useful information on their whereabouts.

Colonel Usman said that the military was also liaising with other security agencies for their arrest if they failed to turn up.

The Boko Haram had earlier on Sunday released a new video of the Chibok Girls.

It showed some girls they claimed were the schoolgirls they abducted from Government Secondary School, Chibok in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria.

News of the video release first emerged on Twitter, with Nigerian Blogger, Ahmed Salkida, claiming it was sent to him by the Abubakar Shekau faction of the Boko Haram.

Since the abduction of the over 200 girls, the Nigerian government has appealed for their unconditional release but the terrorists group said they had been married off.

The military has also made concerted efforts to rescue them, with several appeals made to Nigerians with any information to volunteer to the military or security agencies to enable them rescue the girls.

After their abduction in April 2014, several protests were launched in different countries, with a ‘Bring Back Our Girl’ demand.

Less than 10 of the girls have been rescued since their abduction.