The ministerial nominees from Oyo and Yobe states, Mr Adebayo Shittu and Mrs Khadija Abba Ibrahim,have been screened by the Senate and asked to take a bow and leave.
Shittu took a bow and left after he had answered several questions from the senators, ranging from religion to politics, activism and governance.
Shittu addressed the perception that he was a religious extremist by stating that he has never been indicted by any panel of inquiry for religious intolerance as he is not a fanatic or a religious extremist.
He revealed that his secretary for many years is a Christian and wife of a Pastor with whom he has had a cordial working relationship.
Adebayo Shittu, who has served as a legislator, commissioner and Attorney-General in Oyo State, noted that his personality did not hamper his past political successes.
While affirming his commitment to seeing Nigerians live a moral life, he was of the view that religion should be made compulsory in educational institutions.
Answering questions on the possibility of being put in charge of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Shittu said that he would ensure that grassroots sports is developed to the maximum as this remained the best way to develop the sector.
Mrs Abba Ibrahim’s screening, however, took less time as she was asked to take a bow and leave after a dramatic exchange of banters among the senators, one of whom is the nominee’s husband, Senator Bukar Abba Ibrahim.
The Nigerian Senate has changed its approach as it resumes the screening of ministerial nominees in Abuja.
Only Khadija Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Adebayo Shittu and Claudius Daramola would be screened today, Tuesday, October 20.
This is according to Chairman Senate Adhoc Committee on Media and Public Matter, Dino Melaye.
He said that the Senate has pruned down the number of nominees screened daily in order to have a more thorough exercise.
He explained that the decision was made in response to the yearnings of Nigerians who have criticized the Senate’s approach during the already held screenings and asked for a more thorough screening exercise.
The Senate is also to lay down report of the petition on former Rivers State Governor, Chibuike Amaechi and screen the former governor on Wednesday.
The nomination of Mr Amaechi has generated a lot of controversy following petitions from a group in Rivers State accusing him of fraudulent practices during his tenure as Governor of Rivers State.
Eighteen ministerial nominees were screened and confirmed last week before the Senate shifted the exercise to Tuesday.
The first list of nominees was sent to the Senate on September 30 by President Muhammadu Buhari while a second list was sent on October 12.
The Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, had said that the Senate would adopt measures that are in line with the provisions of the Constitution in carrying out the screening exercise.
It was like the proverbial masquerade whose face would never be seen but at long last the masquerade has been unmasked by the Senate as the Senate President on Tuesday read out the list of ministerial nominees sent by President Muhammadu Buhari.
One by one they were revealed; most known and a few making their debut on the national scene.
Dr. Bukola Saraki unveiled the names of the men and women that are expected to make up the President’s cabinet if they scale through their screening on Tuesday.
Reports says hundreds of people in Gwadabawa Local Government Area of Sokoto State in Nigeria’s North West region have been rendered homeless by flood after a heavy downpour.
About 150 houses in several villages are said to have been hit by flood, including the headquarters of Gwadabawa Local Council, but authorities say no life was lost in the disaster.
Some of the residents in the areas affected by the flood say their storage for farm produce were also destroyed. They lament how flood waters washed their harvested crops away.
The National Emergency Agency (NEMA) said there have been heavy rains in Sokoto and Yobe States since the early hours of Wednesday, August 5.
Meanwhile, authorities are said to be making efforts at providing relief materials for victims of the disaster as some of them are left to squat with relatives and friends pending when help would come for them.
Similarly in Kaduna State, also in Nigeria’s north -west region, residents of Kaduna metropolis on Wednesday morning, witnessed an unusual heavy downpour that lasted for over seven hours.
The rainfall also caused massive floods in some parts of the city.
Channels Television’s correspondent in Kaduna State, Chimezie Enyiocha, reports that the rainfall, which started as early as six O’clock in the morning and lasted till One O’Clock in the afternoon, flooded Abubakar Kigo Road New Extension, with over 30 houses submerged.
Some of the affected residents attributed the flood to lack of adequate drainage system, but, however, blamed the State government for their woes.
The area is very close to the popular Kaduna River. It also has a swampy topography, which makes it very easy for water to penetrate people’s houses whenever there is a heavy downpour.
Although NEMA had advised residents in flood-prone areas, particularly in Abubakar Kigo Road New Extension, Gonin-Gora, Karatudu, Ungwar Rimi and Tudun Wada areas, to relocate before the rains started. The residents have refused to move out due to claims of inability to secure an alternative home without cash back up.
Some residents, whose houses were submerged by flood, have started moving out their property to safer places and it is not certain when they will return.
At a stakeholder’s sensitisation workshop on flood mitigation on Wednesday, August 5, the North West Zonal Coordinator of NEMA, Musa Illalah, warned of likely water surplus and increase in stream flows that may consequently affect dam storage.
The NEMA Coordinator, who was represented by an official in the agency, Mrs Amina Ibrahim, also warned residents on the negative impact of poor liquid and solid waste management system during the rainy season.
Kaduna is one of the states in Nigeria that were affected by the 2013 flood disaster, with over 500 houses and property worth millions of Naira destroyed during the incident.