A German court on Thursday sentenced two men to more than a decade each in jail after they pleaded guilty to sexually abusing dozens of children at a campsite over two decades.
The Detmold regional court jailed 56-year-old accused Andreas V. for 13 years, while 34-year-old Mario S. must serve 12 years.
After their sentences, both men will be held in preventive custody, a step reserved only for the most dangerous criminals.
The pair are believed to have been the main perpetrators in a series of abuse cases that went undiscovered for years at the campsite in Luegde, around 60 kilometres (40 miles) from Hanover in northern Germany.
Bayern Munich and former German national team football star Jerome Boateng, 31, has been charged with assault after allegedly attacking his former partner, German prosecutors confirmed Tuesday.
“The Munich prosecutor’s office has had proceedings open against Jerome Boateng for dangerous assault since autumn 2018. Following extensive investigations, charges were brought on February 11, 2019,” chief prosecutor Anne Leiding told AFP-subsidiary SID, confirming reports in German media outlets Sueddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) and WDR.
Leiding added that the court was yet to open the case, but had accepted an accessory prosecution from the alleged victim, named only as ‘S.’.
According to the SZ and WDR reports, ‘S.’ is Boateng’s former partner of ten years and the mother of two of his three children.
Prosecutors also confirmed that Boateng was the subject of a separate police investigation into assault.
Former Germany central defender Boateng is one of the country’s most successful players, having won the World Cup with Germany in 2014 and the Champions League with Bayern in 2013.
His career has declined in recent months, after he was dropped from the national squad earlier this year.
Boateng’s relationship with his club has also suffered after he slipped down the defensive pecking order at German league champions Bayern.
In May, club president Uli Hoeness advised the 31-year-old to “find a new club”, but a mooted transfer to Italian giants Juventus fell through at the last minute on the final day of the European transfer window on Monday.
The Stockholm district court said Friday that US rapper A$AP Rocky should be released from custody, pending the verdict of an assault trial that has garnered global attention and stirred fan outrage.
The rapper, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, has been in custody in Sweden since he was arrested on July 3 after a street brawl, but on the last day of his trial the court decided to release him, pending the verdict.
“Rakim Mayers… (and the two others accused) are no longer going to be remanded in custody,” presiding judge Per Lennerbrant told the court, adding that the court’s verdict would be made available on August 14.
US rapper A$AP Rocky will be tried for an alleged assault next week over a June street brawl, a Swedish court said Thursday, in a decision likely to infuriate fans already indignant over his three weeks in custody.
“Today I have pressed charges against the three suspects for assault, because in my judgement what has happened amounts to a crime, despite the objections about self-defence and provocations,” prosecutor Daniel Suneson said in a statement published Thursday morning.
The 30-year-old rapper, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, was arrested on July 3 along with three other people, following the brawl in Stockholm on June 30. One of them, the rapper’s bodyguard, was later released.
Part of the fight was captured in an amateur video published by US celebrity news outlet TMZ. The rapper later published videos of his own to Instagram purporting to show the lead up to the fight.
Mayers has claimed he was acting in self-defence, saying he was responding to harassment and provocations by the plaintiff.
But Suneson said in his statement: “I have had more material to consider than what has been available on the internet.”
Heading to trial
According to the charging document filed with the Stockholm District Court, the evidence includes surveillance footage, witness testimony and text conversations that the prosecutor says prove there was no need for self-defence and that a bottle was used as a weapon in the alleged assault.
Magnus Stromberg, the plaintiff’s lawyer, told AFP his client suffered injuries that were “serious, nasty and he has been in a lot of pain”.
On July 5 the court-ordered Mayers be kept in custody pending investigation of the case as he was considered a “flight risk”.
The court originally gave the prosecutor two weeks to decide on whether to press charges and later granted a week-long extension.
Suneson’s decision to press charges means the rapper can be kept in custody until his trial, which the court has set for next week.
The trial is scheduled to take place over three days, starting on July 30 and then continuing on August 1 and 2.
Assault carries a maximum penalty of two years in jail in Sweden.
Mayers’ lawyer Slobodan Jovicic told reporters the decision was “expected” and his client maintains his innocence.
“He is extremely disappointed that the prosecutor has put the other account (of the events) ahead of his own,” Jovicic said during a press briefing.
The musician, who had his breakthrough in 2011 with the release of the mixtape “Live. Love. A$AP”, was on a European tour and has already had to cancel over a dozen shows.
Since his arrest, fans, fellow artists and US Congress members have campaigned for the artist to be freed.
US President Donald Trump contacted Sweden’s Prime Minister Stefan Lofven directly to discuss the case, and tweeted Saturday he had been assured that Mayers would be “treated fairly”.
“I assured him that A$AP was not a flight risk and offered to personally vouch for his bail, or an alternative,” Trump added.
Lofven’s press secretary Toni Eriksson confirmed the call and told AFP that “the prime minister was careful to point out that the Swedish justice system is completely independent”.
An online petition called #JusticeForRocky has garnered more than 620,000 signatures. The rapper’s detention has also led to accusations of racism by the Swedish justice system.
In May of last year, fellow rapper G-Eazy was charged with violence against a public servant, resisting arrest and possession of narcotics in Sweden, but was released after pleading guilty and fined 80 000 kronor (around $8,500 or 7,600 euros) after a day and a half in custody.
In an Instagram post-G-Eazy, who is white, said the difference between his and A$AP Rocky’s treatment was a sign of “white privilege” and “racism”.
Responding to a question about whether law enforcement’s handling of the case indicated racism, Mayer’s lawyer Jovicic told reporters Thursday that he thought Sweden was “not a racist society”.
“I think that my last name is living proof that anyone can make it here and I don’t see that angle at all”,” Jovicic said referring to his Serbian last name.
The court had given the prosecutor until July 19 to decide on whether to press charges.
However, the prosecutor requested the deadline be extended to next week as they needed more time to complete the investigation, which the court granted.
Mayers’ lawyer Slobodan Jovicic called the court’s decision disproportionate.
He said that it was unreasonable to assume Mayers was a “flight risk” since not returning for a potential trial could mean that the rapper would never be able to visit Europe again, for fear of getting arrested.
“I am very disappointed, even though this was very much expected, given our regulations for detentions and that it’s very easy to detain someone,” said Jovicic.
Senator Elisha Abbo who is in the eye of a storm for beating a woman who tried to prevent him from assaulting another woman has reacted to the scandal, confirming that he is indeed the man in the video.
The assault, which was first reported by Premium Times, has sparked outrage with many Nigerians calling for his prosecution and urging the Senate to also discipline him.
When contacted, the Senator told Channels Television that he would release an official statement in reaction to the assault video.
“We will be releasing statement, maybe tomorrow afternoon,” he said, adding that the incident happened before he became a Senator.
Beyond that, the Senator said the roughly 10-minute video was incomplete, claiming he was at the shop because his sister had been assaulted there, but that part was edited out of the video.
He said, “We will soon release an official statement to the viral video which happened before I became a senator; where my younger sister was beaten to a pulp in a shop and I was called upon there (sic); where I had to call an ambulance and a policeman to come to the scene and it got out of hand I was also assaulted.
“It is an old video, but we will soon release a statement to that effect. It was my sister that was at the store and she was assaulted; in fact, she fainted in the shop but they compressed the video and cut that part out of it.
“They took her out to resuscitate her; the one standing with a cap is a doctor. The doctor had to come to give her life. My sister is not in the video, it was completely cropped out of it.”
Senator Abbo said he would be demanding the release of the full recording.
“This is a political season and now I am now a politician. Before I was not a politician but now the reality of the fact is that I am now a politician and politicians are not people who are liked; they (people) exhume things of 20 years and they hang it on their neck now,” he said.
“As I said before, we will release a robust response to everything, and we will also ask for the entire video to be released since they have the video. We will seat and discuss about the video. Just to be clear, that video was taken long before now and it was released just as this point.”
In the CCTV video, the Senator had, however, not mentioned anything about his sister being assaulted. The video showed him seated in the shop for a while as activities went on. He then got on the phone, walked out of the office for a bit, came back in and sat down.
Four minutes into the video, he received another call. Shortly after, a policeman came in and he informed the policeman, that the shop attendant is his friend but that she insulted him.
“She is not my enemy; she is my friend. We are not enemies; she is my friend and I have known her for over five years. But she insulted me. She said I am drunk, I am stupid and I am mad,” he said before asking the policeman to take her away.
As he was speaking to the policeman, the lady made a call of her own to inform her father about what was going on, but the move angered Abbo, who ordered her to stop the call.
As she tried to round up the call, another man with Abbo tried to slap the phone away, prompting another woman in the shop to intervene.
After the woman asked the man to “take it easy”, Abbo flew into the raged and attacked her.
The assault has attracted widespread condemnation, emerging as a top trend on social media with more than 100,000 tweets dedicated to it, many of them declaring the action as unacceptable, shameful, and criminal and demanding that the authorities, particularly the police and the Senate, should act.
A video showing a Senator beating up a woman in a sex toy shop in Nigeria’s capital Abuja has sparked outrage with many calling for his prosecution and ouster as a lawmaker.
In the video, published exclusively by Premium Times, Senator Elisha Abbo, who represents Adamawa North Senatorial District, is shown launching a brutal attack on a woman who tried to stop him from assaulting another woman attending to customers in the shop.
The Senator accused the shop attendant of insulting him and asked a policeman with him to arrest her. Obviously concerned for her safety, the attendant made a call and tried to inform someone about what was happening.
But this only angered the Senator who ordered her to stop the call. Things took a violent turn when a man with the lawmaker tried to smack the phone away from the shop attendant’s hand and another woman who was watching the drama intervened.
The Senator became livid and launched an attack on the woman who had only urged them to “take it easy”, slapping and hitting her before ordering the policeman to arrest.
As the policeman did his bidding, dragging her away despite the pleas of the shop attendant who was the initial target, the Senator continued his assault.
The assault, which happened on May 11 according to the Premium Times report, has led to shock and outrage.
‘Justice For Victims’
Amnesty International is among those that have called for the Senator to be investigated.
Amnesty International is calling on Nigeria Police @PoliceNG to investigate Senator Elisha Abbo (Adamawa North) for alleged assault on staff of an adult shop he patronizes in Abuja. Video of the senator assaulting women is widely available for police to act: #Nigeria@NGRSenatepic.twitter.com/UDvCu0wBiJ
“This must be investigated. Victims of his violence must get justice,” the human rights organization said in another tweet about the attack.
The case of Senator Elisha Abbo is very straightforward: the Police MUST IMMEDIATELY take three steps: 1. Arrest him (no formal complaint is needed with the evidence on tape) 2. Obtain his statement (if he’s willing to make one) and that of the victim 3. Arraign him in court.
I love how all she said was ” oga take it easy ” as he getting more aggressive towards the other girl. For those people that will find excuses for anything” women talk too much, she must have provoked him🙄 video with correct audio. Elisha Abbo must be held accountable.
If the Senate doesn’t sanction Elisha Abbo or whatever his name is, they are saying his barbaric act is acceptable to the Senate. And if that is the case, it wouldn’t be a Senate of and for civilised people, it would be a Senate of and for Barbarians!
Many more Nigerians and activists condemned the assault and demanded justice for the victim. They also urged the Senate to act on the matter and demanded the dismissal of the policeman involved.
I stand against senator Elisha Abbo & every senator that keeps quiet about this including the senate house…my people when we say vote wisely this is what we mean..he is not a man but a coward including the police officers there..protect all women by all means ✊
I saw the video of the altercation between the senator Elisha Abbo and a shop owner and her assistant, it is to say the least shameful, his behavior is that of a tout at the motor park. He should be suspended from the senate and while the incident is investigated.
This is a blatant abuse of power short and simple. Senator Elisha Abbo is liable to both criminal and civil action for assaulting the woman in question. The Police should do their job and the Senate Committee on Ethics needs to investigate and also discipline him. https://t.co/WXD5b5X5yp
Grace Mugabe, the wife of former Zimbabwean ruler Robert Mugabe, has been accused of attacking an employee at the family’s home with a shoe in 2017, lawyers said Tuesday.
She also faces an arrest warrant in neighbouring South Africa for her alleged assault with a power cable on a female model in Johannesburg in the same year.
Papers filed in Zimbabwe’s high court by lawyers for Shupikai Chiroodza allege that Mugabe used her fists and then her shoe in a prolonged attack that left Chiroodza’s face pouring blood.
Mugabe allegedly attacked Chiroodza after accusing her of “milking” her husband because she had accepted a cash wedding gift from him, the papers say.
Chiroodza was a government employee working at the Mugabes’ private Blue Roof mansion in Harare when the alleged attack took place in March 2017, eight months before then-president Mugabe was forced from office.
“I represent Chiroodza, who was part of the domestic staff at Blue Roof in a case of unlawful dismissal,” lawyer Douglas Coltart told AFP.
In her court papers demanding her job back, Chiroodza said Grace Mugabe punched her and ordered her to return an unspecified amount of money.
“She started beating me with clenched fists shouting, ‘Who do you think you are? You are milking my husband behind my back’,” Chiroodza said in her court application.
‘I was terrified’
“I was terrified. She removed her shoe and continued assaulting me with it and blood started gushing out of my forehead, mouth and nose. The assault continued for about 20 minutes.”
Chiroodza said she received a dismissal letter two months later.
Coltart said the civil service commission had indicated it would not contest the case. “We are hoping to get some form of settlement,” he said.
Mugabe, 53, was seen as a possible successor to her husband in a race against Emmerson Mnangagwa, the current president.
Mugabe, now 95, was ousted following a brief military takeover in 2017 after 37 years in office and replaced by Mnangagwa, the favoured choice of the military.
In August 2017, Grace allegedly attacked Gabrielle Engels using an electrical extension cord at an upmarket hotel in Johannesburg where the Mugabes’ two sons were staying.
South Africa granted Grace Mugabe diplomatic immunity, allowing her to hurriedly leave the country, but a court later scrapped the ruling.
She earned the nickname “Gucci Grace” for her lavish lifestyle as Zimbabwe’s economy collapsed under her husband’s authoritarian rule.
Last month Mnangagwa said Robert Mugabe was in Singapore for medical treatment and was expected back home in mid-May.