Three persons have lost their lives and several others have gone missing after a truck fell off the Berger bridge into the Epe river in Lagos State.
The Director-General of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, who confirmed this to Channels Television on Saturday said the bodies of three adult males have been recovered.
According to him, the agency received information late last night of the accident involving a Volvo tipper that fell off the bridge.
Oke-Osanyintolu explained that upon arrival at the accident incident, it was discovered that the six-tyre truck was loaded with sand, adding that the number of occupants was unknown.
“The six-tyre Truck has been located and retrieved along with the bodies of three adult males.
“A combined team of Agency responders, Marine Rescue Unit (LASWA & LASEMA) Nigeria Police and Local Divers have been carrying out Search and Rescue operations,” he said.
The LASEMA boss noted that emergency workers including the Marine Rescue Unit, Nigeria Police and Local Divers have been carrying out search and rescue operations.
The Federal Government has reopened the Kara Bridge axis of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway.
The re-opening of the road began at about 9:00 am on Sunday and has brought about an easier flow of traffic on the highway which has otherwise been notorious for serious traffic jams since the commencement of the reconstruction.
It had been partially closed in September when the reconstruction work commenced and traffic was diverted on both sides of the expressway.
The Lagos State Government on Saturday started releasing the remains of the victims of the Otedola Bridge tanker explosion to their families.
The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, at a news conference in Alausa, on Friday, explained that the decision to release the bodies followed the conclusion of DNA forensic examination conducted by the government to ascertain their identities.
The remains of the victims of the tanker explosion, which occurred on June 28, were taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) where they were examined.
Dr Idris said, “Based on the DNA analysis performed at the LSD and FC, all victims samples were successfully matched to relatives’ samples.
“Nine bodies have been successfully matched to nine families out of the 11 families that showed up at the LSD&FC. They are now ready to be handed over to the rightful families for necessary burial arrangement.
“Collection of these remains will commence from 10:00 am tomorrow (Saturday), July 28, 2018, at the Seminar Room of the Pathology and Forensic Medicine Department of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja,” he said.
Twelve people were killed and at least 50 vehicles were burnt in the tragedy which occurred on June 28, 2018.
The explosion occurred when the fuel-laden tanker had a brake failure as it was heading out of Lagos towards the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
Many escaped by abandoning their vehicles and firefighters later came to the scene to battle and put out the raging blaze.
The Lagos State Government has on Wednesday announced the restriction of the operation of interstate buses and vehicles operating along Ikorodu Road from going beyond Ojodu Berger and Ojota Motor Parks.
Therefore, a seven-day ultimatum has been issued to the vehicle operators to relocate from Ikorodu roads to the designated inter-state motor parks at Ojodu Berger and Ojota.
The State’s Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Steve Ayorinde said this after an inspection tour of the ongoing construction of Modern Bus Terminal at Yaba and the beautification project at Jibowu,
He said the decision of the government was in line with the determination of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode’s administration to install sanity and civility in the environment.
He said, “This is a follow-up on the visit of Governor Ambode to this axis last night and was very displeased with what he saw particularly in the manner with which long buses, inter-state buses are using the main town and what we have done so far is the initial announcement to say that henceforth, we will no longer allow inter-state buses to be along Ikorodu Road.
“Henceforth, they will have to go to Ojota and Ojodu Berger which are the two designated inter-state motor parks. The ones that we have here in Jibowu will have to move and there is a 7-day ultimatum for every one of them beginning from the ones in this axis to move.”
Speaking on the reason for the ban, the Commissioner said activities of the operators had not been tidy and decent despite repeated warnings.
He said, “Take for instance, the New Jersey Barricades here are being destroyed and they are built with taxpayers money. We have also seen the way vegetal nuisance have taken over everything particularly areas that are being used by the operators of the interstate buses in spite of the repeated warnings that this is no longer acceptable.”
The Commissioner said the affected stakeholders should work with government, assuring that the development would not in any way affect their businesses and livelihood.
Also, the Lagos State acting Commissioner for Transportation, Prince Anofiu Elegushi said the ban was part of the plan of the government to properly utilize spaces under flyovers and bridges.
He said that government had already provided more than enough spaces for the affected operators at Ojodu Berger and Ojota, saying that a stakeholders’ meeting would also be held on this week to discuss and allocate spaces for operators at the said parks.
The President of the Initiative for Youth Awareness on Migration, Solomon Okoduwa, on Monday announced the theme for this year’s National Youths Day.
Tagged ‘Youths and Migration’, he said it was inspired by the desperation of Nigerian youths to be successful and to erase the belief that it is only possible for them to succeed outside the country.
He also lamented that they travel illegally through the Sahara desert to Libya in hope of migrating to Europe.
“This year’s theme gives us as a country, the opportunity to reflect on the type of society we live in, a society where so many people see migration as a means to survival, meanwhile the basic things we need access to education and food, we lack them and it has resulted in high crime rate”. He said this on Channels Television’s morning breakfast programme, Sunrise daily.
He told a story of how he was psyched into believing that the trip was just like Berger- to Oshodi “the people who convince us collected N200,000 for the journey, we were about 300-400 youths and we were not aware of the dangers of the Sahara, meanwhile most of us couldn’t tell our family members about it”.
Mr Okoduwa said that his organisation has been trying to seek assistance from the government because there are about 122 prisoners in a place called Sabha in Libya, children inclusive.
He said the number keeps increasing because some Nigerian girls give birth in prison and this children automatically become prisoners according to Libyan laws.
He added that to get a good job in Libya you need a residence permit and to get this permit you need recommendation from a citizen which is hard to get adding that there are about 280 Nigerian females in Libyan prisons.
He pleaded with the federal government to come to the aid off Nigerian youths in diaspora by prioritising their interests and organising empowerment programmes for the hungry, unemployed and uneducated youths in our society.