The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, on Friday said truck overload is the major cause of road failure and accidents in the country.
He stated this during his tour of Federal Government assets in Lagos State, noting that the President Muhammadu Buhari administration is making efforts to ensure that overloaded trucks no longer ply the nation’s highways.
According to the Minister, a measurement scale device installed on a computer will be put in place around the nation to ensure that trucks and haulage vans do not convey excess goods.
“Once you exceed the specified ACSU load, the specified tonnage per ACSU load, then we have a problem in terms of law and order,” he said.
“These are the consequences: you will pay fines ranging from N1 million to N10 million. So the reason we have done that is that we want to make it cheaper to comply and very expensive to break the law. That way, we hope that people will choose to comply instead of paying excessive penalties.”
The Kano State Government has approved N490 million to avert the collapse of a bridge in the state.
Channels Television learned that the money is meant for the extension of Shimar Bridge along Karfi-Rano Road to avoid total cut-off of the road in the face of heavy downpour being recorded during this rainy season.
The State Executive Council also gave approval for the proposed construction and establishment of an ultra-modern and Multi-Purpose Shopping Mall at former Daula Hotel premises, located at Murtala Muhammad Way by Mudatex Mudassir and Brothers Ltd.
Briefing journalists on the outcome of the meeting which held at the Government House on Friday, the Commissioner for Information, Malam Muhammad Garba, said N338.9m has also been approved as the counterpart fund for the implementation of the 2020 Health Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) Work Plan for improving healthcare delivery.
He explained that the council also made other approvals including the release of funds for the award of contract for the revised estimated cost of N724.1m for quantity adjust upward of the Underpass and Flyover at Dangi Roundabout along Zaria Road among others.
Also, the state government released N27m for the production of two million assorted seedlings for venue, departmental and institutional planting, and distribution to farmers.
The world’s longest sea bridge connecting Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China will be launched on Tuesday at a time when Beijing seeks to tighten its grip on its semi-autonomous territories.
President Xi Jinping is expected to officiate at an opening ceremony in the mainland city of Zhuhai Tuesday morning, but details of the event have been kept secret.
The 55-kilometer (34-mile) crossing, which includes a snaking road bridge and underwater tunnel, links Hong Kong’s Lantau island to Zhuhai and the gambling enclave of Macau, across the waters of the Pearl River Estuary.
It is the second major infrastructure project tying Hong Kong to mainland China to launch in a matter of weeks, after the opening of a high-speed rail link last month.
Critics say the multi-billion-dollar bridge is one more way to integrate Hong Kong into China as fears grow that the city’s cherished freedoms are being eroded.
The mega-bridge will open to traffic on Wednesday, a day after the ceremony.
Building began in 2009 and has been dogged by delays, budget overruns, corruption prosecutions and the deaths of construction workers.
The launch ceremony was hastily announced last week by mainland authorities with Hong Kong lawmakers and transport companies complaining they had been left in the dark.
Supporters of the project promote it as an engineering marvel that will also boost business and cut travel time, while others see it as a politically driven and costly white elephant.
The main bridge section is considered mainland territory and Hong Kong cars and drivers traveling over it “must comply with the laws and regulations of the mainland”, according to the city’s transport department.
Hong Kong residents will only be granted a license to cross into Zhuhai by car if they meet highly selective criteria, including holding certain mainland government positions or making major contributions to charities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong.
Most people will need to travel the bridge on coaches and buses.
Online commenters in Hong Kong complained about the bridge’s restricted access ahead of the launch.
“Such a huge investment using the Hong Kong taxpayer’s money… yet basically it is not open to us at all,” said one comment on the South China Morning Post website.
Some Hong Kong media reported that the physical condition of drivers would be monitored by cameras, including an alert sent if a driver yawns more than three times in 20 seconds.
The opening of the high-speed rail link also sparked criticism as it saw Chinese security stationed on Hong Kong soil for the first time at the city’s terminus.
Critics accused the Hong Kong government of giving away territory to an increasingly assertive Beijing.
Four people were injured, two of them seriously, when a pedestrian bridge collapsed near Prague zoo on Saturday, rescuers said.
“A 60-year-old man was put in an artificial coma and a 63-year-old woman was also taken to hospital with multiple injuries,” Prague ambulance spokeswoman Jana Postova told AFP.
“We also treated men aged 34 and 43 on the spot with less serious injuries, and we took them to hospital too,” she said, adding that all four had fallen with the bridge as it collapsed around 1:00 pm (1200 GMT).
Built in 1984, the concrete bridge across the Vltava river, in the north of the Czech capital, was 260 metres (850 feet) long and used by pedestrians and cyclists.
Czech media said a city company in charge of Prague’s bridges had complained some time ago that the bridge’s 156 steel ropes were corroded.
The Minister of State for Works, Bashir Yuguda on Friday said that the repair works on the Third Mainland Bridge which was suspended indefinitely by the Lagos state government will be begin on Friday. The Minister disclosed this while inaugurating the repair of eight expansion joints on the Third Mainland Bridge.
According to Mr Yuguda, the repair of the longest bridge in Africa will cost N1.055 billion and is being handled by Messrs Borini Prono & Co (Nig.) Limited.
The contract will run from July 6, 2012 to November 5, 2012.
According to the contract papers, the first phase of the replacement of expansion joints will begin on the inward Lagos side between Ebute Meta Interchange and Adeniji Adele. This section will be shut for the duration of the repair work.
The second phase if on the outward Lagos side between Adeniji Adele and Ebute Meta Interchange.