Ex-Kaduna Gov. Condemns Dasuki’s Continued Detention

Col. Dasuki To Take Fresh Plea In JanuaryThe former Governor of Kaduna State, Col. Abubakar Umar (rtd), has condemned the continuous detention of former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd).

He also faulted the government’s anti-graft war, calling it selective and stating that it is only targeted at the opposition parties.

Mr Umar said the Federal Government had refused to grant Dasuki bail, a year after several law courts, including the ECOWAS court did.

Col. Dasuki was arrested on December 1, 2015 over alleged arms procurement and has been under detention since then.

ECOWAS Court Declares Dasuki’s Detention Unlawful

Dasuki, ECOWAS Court, Sambo DasukiThe ECOWAS community court of justice has declared the arrest and continuous detention of former National Security Adviser, Colonel Sambo Dasuki as unlawful and an arbitrary violation of his fundamental human rights and the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights.

Delivering judgment on the suit filed by the former National Security Adviser against the federal government, the three-man panel of the court presided over by Justice Friday Nwoke, ordered the federal government to release him immediately having detained him illegally without trial since the November 5, 2015.

The court also ordered the federal government to pay the sum of 15 million naira as compensation to Colonel Dasuki for unlawfully detaining him, invading and seizing his properties without a valid search warrant or an order of a court of competent jurisdiction.

The court further held that investigating Colonel Dasuki for allegedly committing or planning to commit a crime is not enough ground to detain him for over seven months without trial.

The court held that it was an arbitrary claim that there were plans to destabilise the government.

The court also said that the applicant, like any other ECOWAS citizen, has a right to own and enjoy property without interference.

The lawyer to Colonel Dasuki applauded the verdict of the court and asked the federal government to obey the judgment.

I Am Being Punished By Powers That Be – Dasuki

DasukiFormer National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd) has told a Federal High Court in Abuja that he was being punished by some persons at the highest level of power in the country for the perceived offences he committed some years ago while in the military.

Dasuki, who did not name any particular person, said that the punishment being meted on him was unfortunate and is borne out of mere vendetta.

Counsel to Dasuki, Mr Joseph Daudu told the court that his client has rested his case and has turned to God for the ultimate judgment.

According to him, asking for a secret trial is a breach of the principle of fair trial because his client cannot be a threat to any witness, especially since he has been in custody since December 2015.

In the fresh motion argued by the prosecuting counsel, Mr Dipo Okpeseyi, the federal government prayed the court to allow its witnesses give evidence behind a screen to be provided by the court.

He held that the request, hinged on the fact that Dasuki as a former military chief, has loyalists across the country, who may jeopardize the trial if done in the open.

Okpeseyi told the court of the case of a government witness, who was involved in a serious accident, resulting in multiple fractures and injuries but however stated that in as much as he would not accuse Dasuki of having a hand in the accident, it has heightened the need to have the witnesses protected by the court.

Trial judge, Justice Ademola, has fixed ruling and continuation of trial for September 13, 14 and 15, 2016.

$40m Fraud: Fmr President Jonathan’s Cousin Asks Court To Compel EFCC To Release Him

ObazeeThe detained cousin of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Robert Azibaola, has asked a Federal High Court in Lagos to order the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to either charge him to court or release him from detention.

Azibaola, in a new case filed on his behalf by his counsel, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, claimed that his detention, which has lasted for 46 days by the EFCC, was as a result of his refusal to indict the former President.

He is specifically urging the court to order the EFCC to release him immediately from unlawful custody or institute a criminal charge and arraign him before any court of competent jurisdiction.

Azibaola was arrested by the EFCC on March 23 over an alleged diversion of $40 million dollars through a company, One-Plus Holdings, and a sister company, Kakatar Construction Limited.

The payment was said to have been made by the detained former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd).

The EFCC on April 22, 2016 transferred him from Abuja to Lagos where it obtained a warrant from a Lagos State Magistrate’s Court in Ikeja to remand him pending the conclusion of investigation into his alleged crime.

However, in the suit, which is yet to be assigned to any judge, Adegboruwa claimed that the EFCC could not rely on sections 293 and 294 of the ACJA to continue to detain his client.

He argued that those sections of the law were designed for criminal offences such as murder, armed robbery, kidnapping and treasonable felony, which attracts capital punishment, for which the police would need time to await a legal advice from the office of the Attorney-General.

Azibaola, who claimed that he is being persecuted based on his blood relationship with former President Jonathan, also accused the EFCC of having perfected the plan to keep transferring him from state to state in order to keep renewing the remand warrant to ensure that he was perpetually kept in detention.

He also claimed that any attempt to make him indict former President Jonathan was a violation of Section 7 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act, “which has outlawed the practice of arresting a citizen as ransom for the alleged offence of another citizen.

No date has been fixed for the hearing of the fundamental rights enforcement suit.

Jonathan To Attend African Union’s Peace and Security Council Meeting

JonathanThe Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, will be among some African leaders that will participate in a meeting of the African Union’s Peace and Security Council scheduled to hold in Kenya on Tuesday.

A statement by a spokesman for President Jonathan, Ruben Abati, said that the President would travel to Nairobi on Monday.

The Nairobi meeting is a follow-up to talks by President Jonathan and other African leaders at Pretoria, South Africa, in May on joint action against terrorism.

The meeting will receive and consider the report of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission on Terrorism and Violent Extremism in Africa.

Deliberations at the Nairobi Summit and the adoption of the African Chairperson’s Report by President Jonathan, President Uhuru Kenyatta and other participating Heads of State are expected to lead to more collaborative actions by Nigeria and other African countries in the fight against terrorism.

It is aimed solely at riding the continent of acts of terrorism and violent extremism.

According to the statement, the Nigerian President will be accompanied to the Nairobi Summit by the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Dr. Nurudeen Mohammed, the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.) and other advisers and aides.

The team will return to Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, at the conclusion of the meeting on Tuesday.

Jonathan Meets With Security Chiefs, Governors

FEC_nigeriaThe President’s meeting with security chiefs and PDP governors has ended at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.

The meeting examined recent security events and developments in the country.

Although, the outcome of the meeting was not made public, those present include the governors of Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Benue, Delta, Abia, Enugu, Anambra and Jigawa states.

Others were the Plateau, Kogi, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Kaduna, Gombe, Katsina and Niger State governors as well as Taraba State’s Acting Governor, and the deputy governors of Bayelsa and Kebbi states.

They were joined by Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Defence, Lt.-Gen Aliyu Gusau, the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd.), the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, the Service Chiefs, the Inspector-General of Police, the Director-General of the State Security Services and the Director-General Of National Intelligence Agency.

Also present was the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, the Minister of Police Affairs, and the Minister for the Interior.

No APC governor was present at the expanded meeting.

However, another Security Council meeting would hold next Wednesday with all governors, irrespective of political party expected to attend.

Northern Govs Call Emergency Meeting To Discuss Security Situation

northern_governorsAn emergency meeting of Northern States Governors’ Forum (NSGF) has been scheduled for Tuesday, 22nd April, 2014 at the Niger State Governor’s Lodge, Jose Marti Crescent, Asokoro, Abuja at 4:00 p.m.

A statement made available to Channels  Television said that the meeting was called out of concern to address the incessant attacks and systematic killings of innocent people going on in the region, which has become a source of embarrassment and great concern to the Forum.

The statement explained that the meeting would discuss the increasing incidences of clashes between Fulani herdsmen and local communities, as well as reckless massacre and kidnapping of people across the Northern States.

Meanwhile, President Goodluck Jonathan has been in a meeting with members of the  National Security Council in the Presidential Villa to review recent  security events and developments in the country.

Those present  at the meeting include Vice President Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Defence, Lt.-Gen Aliyu Gusau, the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd.), the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, the Service Chiefs, the Inspector-General of Police, the Director-General of the State Security Services and the Director-General of National Intelligence Agency.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Minister of Police Affairs, and the Minister for the Interior are also present at the meeting.

The meeting of the National Security Council would be followed by an enlarged meeting on security developments in the country to which President Jonathan has invited State Governors.

Jonathan Summons Governors, Others To Security Meeting

jonathan_gesticulationFollowing an attack on Nyanya Motor Park on Monday morning and the abduction of 200 school girls in Borno on Tuesday, the Nigerian President, Goodluck Jonathan, on Wednesday summoned all 36 governors and others to a security meeting.

In a statement, the President’s aide on media and publicity, Reuben Abaati, disclosed that the meeting would hold on Thursday at the Presidential Villa.

According to the statement, “the Vice President, Namadi Sambo, the Minister of Defence, Lt.-Gen Aliyu Gusau, the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (rtd.), the Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Alex Badeh, the Service Chiefs, the Inspector-General of Police, the Director-General of the State Security Services and the Director-General of National Intelligence Agency” would be at the National Security Council meeting.

The security meeting “will be followed at 13:00 Hours by an enlarged meeting on security developments in the country to which President Jonathan has invited State Governors” to review the security situation in the country as well as ongoing national security measures and operations with a view to determining the best way forward.

Although there have been criticisms against President Jonathan, Abati said the President wanted all Nigerians and persons living in the country to know that “the Federal Government remains very mindful of its responsibility for the safety of their lives and property in all parts of Nigeria and will continue to do everything possible to protect them from the scourge of terrorism and insecurity”.

Abati further stated that “the President is particularly concerned about the plight of the young Senior Secondary School girls who were reportedly abducted from their school in Borno State on Monday night and has ordered the military and national security agencies to deploy maximum efforts towards rescuing all of the girls and returning them safely to their parents. He welcomes reports that the military and security agencies have already rescued some of the girls.”

The President further expressed regrets over the “pain, sorrow and anguish brought upon many Nigerian families in recent days” but insisted on his conviction “that with the patriotic commitment and support of all Nigerians, the country would ultimately overcome its present challenges and move forward in unity and strength”.

“In this regard, President Jonathan will be pleased to see all politicians in the country exhibiting greater responsibility and patriotism by doing more to support his administration’s sincere efforts to enhance national security rather than trying to build political capital out of the pain and misery of their compatriots,” the statement read.

 

 

Defence College drafts policy to curb insecurity in Nigeria

The Commandant of the National Defence College, Rear Admiral Thomas Jonah Lokoson

The National Defence College says it is ready with the national security policy which it was commissioned to come up with to tackle the growing insecurity in the country.

The policy, according to the commandant of the college, Rear Admiral Thomas Jonah Lokoson, who was speaking at an event to commence the 20th anniversary of the college, is in its draft stage and has been sent out to other players in the sector to make their input which will be collated and submitted to the National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (Rtd).

Other achievements of the college according to the commandant include the training of participants made up of 622 Nigeria Army officers, 295 officers of the Nigerian Air Force, 255 officers of the Nigerian Navy, 55 Nigeria Police officers, 105 senior civil servants and 138 officers from other countries.

He also added that in its 20 years of  existence the college has  been playing important roles in national security  and professional  development   of strategic  leaders  required to meet the global challenges of maintaining peace and security not only in Nigeria but internationally.