A father was on Wednesday jailed for 16 years for planning a “monstrous” acid attack on his three-year-old son, which left the child “scarred for life”.
Five other men were also convicted over the attack which prosecutors say was an attempt by the father to show that his mother was unfit to take care of the little boy.
Passing sentence, Judge Robert Juckes said “even battle-hardened crown court judges were sickened when they heard the news that someone had attacked a three-year-old with sulphuric acid,” said Juckes, calling it a “monstrous breach of trust”.
The 40-year-old father, originally from Afghanistan, provided “obviously strong acid” and was the “the instigator and planner” of the attack, he said.
Prosecutors say the man, who has not been named to protect the identity of his son, was motivated by his wife walking out on him in 2016 and hired the other guilty men to attack the child at a shop in the city of Worcester in central England.
The attack happened in July 2018, when Adam Cech squirted acid at the boy, who was in a pushchair, from a small plastic bottle.
The victim’s mother said in a victim statement that “my son is OK, he’s a happy child, but he’s been scarred for life and will need continuous support”.
A refrigerator repairer in Ilorin, Kwara State, Kayode Oguntayo, has continued to lament the disappearance of his 16-year-old son, Abdulrasheed, since April 27, 2017.
The father of three said in an interview that his son might have been kidnapped as he is an obedient child and not the wayward type.
According to him, the boy was sent from his shop at Taiwo Road to give his mother the sum of N2,000 at their Oke-Erin residence but he never got home nor returned to the shop.
“I have been to virtually all the police stations in town over this issue but to no avail. The day I gave him N2,000 to give her mother at our Oke-Erin home was the last day I saw him, he was never home and he never came back to the shop.
“My son is 16 years old and had just left secondary school but he did not pass some papers, hence my reason for enrolling him again in the ongoing NECO exams.
“What is making me cry every day now is because my son was never a bad boy; he is decent and doesn’t keep bad friends.
“No one has ever reported him for mischief. He is my biological son and my third child,” Oguntayo lamented.
A fire incident in Lagos State, south-west Nigeria, has claimed the lives of five members of a family.
According to an eyewitness, the fire broke out overnight in Lawanson area of the Nigerian commercial city.
The couple, grandmother, a little baby and a girl were killed by the fire.
The only survivor was rescued alive and is currently receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital.
Due to the extent of the injuries, the survivor has not been able to communicate how the fire probably started.
As things stand now, the only thing we are certain of is the death toll which stands at five.
The location of the incident is 23, Michael Ogun Street, Lawanson, Lagos.
Confirming the incident, the spokesman for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Ibrahim Farinloye, said that the rescued girl was about 6 years old.
Mr Farinloye said that the police were making efforts to trace the immediate family to inform them of what had happened.
Within 24 hours, 12 fire incidents were recorded in Lagos State, a situation that the NEMA official said was human related.
“Averagely, in Lagos, we record not less than 10 fire incidents on a daily basis but in the last 24 hours the casualties have been very, very high.
“Mostly, the cause are human factor – carelessness, lack of safety consciousness, lack of proper handling of fire related materials which go out of hand, especially at odd times, exposing children and other vulnerable persons,” Mr Farinloye explained.
He urged Nigerians to ensure that anything that might lead to danger was properly taken care of.
“Take extreme caution when cooking, turn off all electrical appliances before going to bed, ensure that mobile phones are not left plugged and close to the pillow or foam around where you are sleeping or close to anything that is inflammable,” he advised.