Twitter Has Agreed To All FG’s Conditions – Keyamo

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, has said that social media platform, Twitter, has agreed to all the conditions laid out by the Federal Government regarding its operations in Nigeria.

Keyamo who is also a member of a committee, set up to review the operations of the microblogging platform since its ban in the country, said the committee has made significant progress so far.

Read Also: #EndSARS Panel Was Illegal – Keyamo

“The reason why the president took that step is to recalibrate our relationship with Twitter and not to drive them away from our country,” the minister said on Channels TV’s Sunday Politics.

“That recalibration, we have started it and the President graciously added me to the committee.

“We also set up a technical committee to interface with Twitter and come up with a lot of conditions for them to fulfill for us to lift the suspension.

“It was Twitter that reached out to the Federal Government to say they want to know what and what they can do to straighten up the relationship with the Federal Government and so, we have gone far but I may not, at this forum, let out a lot but we gave them a lot of conditions and they have agreed to all the conditions,”.

Keyamo: 774,000 Jobs Scheme Successful, Beneficiaries Paid N40bn

File photo: The Minister of State for Labour, Mr Festus Keyamo

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, on Friday described the Special Public Works Scheme initiated by the Federal Government as successful.

Keyamo in a statement issued by his media aide, Tunde Moshood, said about 90 per cent of the 774,000 beneficiaries of the scheme have been paid over N40 billion so far across the nation.

Reacting to the plan by the House of Representatives Committees on Youths, Labour, Finance and Appropriations to investigate the alleged failure of the scheme, the Minister said the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme was what the lower chamber intends to probe.

This is even as Keyamo explained that the P-YES programme was not under his purview.

READ ALSO: FG Will Follow International Standards In Fighting Banditry, Terrorism – Malami

“In the said report, the House of Representatives Committee on Youths, Labour, Finance and Appropriations was said to have been mandated to “carry out a probe into the non-implementation of the scheme”, after a motion moved by Honourable Gudaji Kazaure on the ‘Call to investigate the Presidential Youth Empowerment Scheme,” the statement read.

“However, the Scheme referred to by Hon. Kazaure is not the Special Public Works Scheme under the supervision of Festus Keyamo, SAN, but a totally different Scheme called the P-Yes under the supervision of a different Ministry/Minister. Hence, the story is a misrepresentation of facts.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Extended Special Public Works programme has been successfully implemented by the National Directorate of Employment under the supervision of the Honourable Minister of State, Labour and Employment. The Honourable Minister is not directly or remotely in charge of the P-YES programme.

“The report of the alleged investigation into the Special Public Works Programme is therefore not just misleading but loaded with misinformation at the same time.

“The article which ties the Extended Special Public Works Programme with the Presidential Youths Empowerment Scheme, P-Yes is purely a figment of the imagination of its purveyors.

“The Extended Special Public Works Programme under the supervision of the Honourable Minister of State, Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, SAN has been implemented successfully with about 90% of the 774,000 ESPW participants engaged by the scheme across the nation successfully paid with over N40 billion so far.”

Special Public Works Programme: Over Four Hundred Thousand Nigerians Paid N60,000 – Keyamo

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, says over 400 thousand Nigerians have received N60,000 as part of the Special Public Works Programme launched in 2021 by the Federal Government.

Keyamo made this disclosure at the weekly Ministerial Media Chat at the Statehouse on Thursday.

Fielding questions from correspondents, Keyamo said the scheme which is aimed at empowering Nigerians and cushioning the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic, has seen 413,630 persons paid N60,000 each.

According to him, some payments that have bounced back are owing to BVN challenges.

READ ALSO: Kaduna Security: Bandits Kill Driver, Kidnap 33 People In Kachia

 

Keyamo said in total N24.817 billion has been distributed to Nigerians so far, adding that an extension might be requested to meet a target of 500 thousand persons for the first phase of the program.

The minister stressed that the program has been conducted across the 774 local governments, however, he noted that government initiatives of this nature can regrettably be hijacked by political leaders at the state levels and for this reason, some resistance was encountered.

He asserted that President Buhari has and will continue to ensured transparency in all the Federal Government’s programmes.

FG To Kick Off 774,000 Jobs Scheme On Tuesday, Says Keyamo

A file photo of the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo.

 

The Special Public Works Programme of the Federal Government is set to kick off across the country.

After several postponements, the programme which aims to engage 774,000 unemployed Nigerians is set to commence on Tuesday.

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, announced the take-off date for the programme on Sunday night via his verified Twitter handle.

Keyamo, who is also a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, noted that the announcement followed the approval of President Muhammadu Buhari.

He added that all structures of the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) in all the states were ready for the commencement of the programme.

The programme was initially planned for launch on October 1, 2020, but it could not go on as scheduled.

This was as a result of the reported disagreement between the minister and the Director-General of NDE, Nasir Ladan, who was relieved of his duty by in December.

The programme is designed to employ 1,000 Nigerians from each of the 774 local government areas in Nigeria, and each of the 774,000 workers is expected to earn N20,000 monthly for three months duration of the job.

See Keyamo’s tweet below:

Don’t Release Funds For Public Works Programme, Reps Tell Finance Minister

In this photo released by the House of Representatives, some lawmakers are seated during one of the plenaries in the lower chamber of the National Assembly in Abuja.

 

The House of Representatives has asked the Minister of Finance, Zainab Ahmed not to release any funds to the Public Works Programme of the Federal Government if it will breach due process.

The House is also asking President Muhammadu Buhari to direct the Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige to follow due process by ensuring that the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) takes charge of the employment progress of the public works programme.

This follows a motion of urgent public importance raised by the Deputy Minority Leader, Toby Okechukwu on Tuesday during plenary.

According to the motion, the President’s directive to Keyamo to go ahead with the implementation of the programme would make it difficult for the National Assembly to carry out its oversight function on the programme.

According to Okechukwu, the Minister of Labour is only mandated to supervise the NDE.

[VIDEO] 774,000 Jobs: Drama As Senators Walk Keyamo Out Of Meeting

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, leaves a meeting with members of the Senate and House Joint Committee on Labour at the National Assembly in Abuja on June 30, 2020.

 

Drama played out on Tuesday as some senators walked the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, out of a meeting.

The lawmakers had invited Keyamo to give details of the Special Public Works Programme where 774,000 people would be recruited by the Federal Government under the National Directorate of Employment (NDE).

During the meeting which was held at the National Assembly in Abuja, members of the Senate and House of Representatives Joint Committee on Labour sought to find out the method of selection of a 20-man committee from each state for the programme.

However, a heated argument erupted between committee members and Keyamo over who should helm the programme which was to be domiciled under the NDE.

As the rowdy session ensued, the committee decided to go into a closed-door session to discuss the matter, but the minister refused, insisting that further discussions be held in the presence of journalists.

This enraged the lawmakers who told Keyamo to apologise to the committee, but he ignored them.

Thereafter, the minister was asked to leave the meeting since he refused to apologise to the committee members.

The lawmakers claimed that Keyamo had no right to direct the committee on how to conduct its proceedings.

This comes a day after the minister inaugurated a 20-man committee in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) by virtual means.

According to him, 1,000 persons would be selected from each of the 774 local government areas in the country to be engaged by the government in the Special Public Works Programme.

Coronavirus: We Must Tolerate And Allow People To Vent Their Opinions – Keyamo

 

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo (SAN), has asked that individuals be allowed to vent their opinions freely with regards to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Keyamo who lately has been taking on the COVID-19 issue via social media, the people must be allowed to vent their opinions because it is a sign of the times.

He also stated that the challenge that soon will  face governments around the world is how to keep their citizens safe from COVID-19 by imposing inactivity and at the same time how to keep them safe from poverty, hunger & depression as a result of the inactivity.

READ ALSO: Minister, Festus Keyamo Says God Allowed COVID-19 To Afflict Humans

COVID-19: Give Nigerians Airtime And Data To Soothe Their Pains, Keyamo Tells MTN, Others

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, has asked major telecommunication companies in Nigeria to give tokens of airtime and data in a bid to ease the pains of Nigerians even as the fight against COVID-19 intensifies.

According to series of tweets by Keyamo on Monday, the airtime and data will not only ease pains but will also help Nigerians stay connected to their loved ones in these trying times.

Keyamo also asked the direct broadcast satellite service providers in Nigeria to support the fight against COVID-19 by giving Nigerians an extension on their current subscription.

Using his verified Twitter page, Keyamo urged DSTV and StarTimes to extend existing subscriptions by one month, to help alleviate the sufferings of Nigerians within the lockdown period.

READ ALSO: Two More Cases Of COVID-19 Confirmed In Kaduna

The minister a few days ago was of the opinion that God allowed the Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease to afflict the human race.

He argued that God allowed COVID-19 to afflict the human race so that he can reconcile the earth to himself.

Mr Keyamo asked Nigerians to pray for forgiveness, assuring them that everything will end in praise.

COVID-19: Give Nigerians One-Month Free Subscription, Keyamo Tells DSTV, Others

A file photo of Mr Festus Keyamo.

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, has asked direct broadcast satellite service providers in Nigeria to support the fight against COVID-19 by giving Nigerians an extension on their current subscription. 

In a series of tweets on Monday, Mr Keyamo urged DSTV and Star Times to extend existing subscriptions by one month, to ease the pains of many across the nation.

READ ALSO: President Buhari Signs COVID-19 Regulations 2020

The minister also urged major telecommunication companies in Nigeria to give out some tokens of airtime and data in a bid to ease the pains of Nigerians and to help them stay connected to their loved ones in these trying times.

Mr Keyamo had in some earlier tweets on March 26, opined that God allowed the Coronavirus (COVID-19) disease to afflict the human race.

He argued that God allowed COVID-19 to afflict the human race only to redirect people’s steps back to Him.

According to him, “We have so distorted God’s Word to suit our own human weaknesses and satisfy our greed, even in supposed Holy Places”.

The minister urged Nigerians to collectively ask for forgiveness, stressing that it will all end in praise.

Minister, Festus Keyamo Says God Allowed COVID-19 To Afflict Humans

A file photo of Mr Festus Keyamo.

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo (SAN), says God allowed the coronavirus (COVID-19) disease to afflict the human race.

Keyamo in a tweet posted late on Wednesday, March 25, 2020, said COVID-19 came because the world has distorted God’s vision.

He posted:

God has allowed COVID-19 to afflict the human race only to redirect our steps back to Him.

We have so distorted God’s Word to suit our own human weaknesses and satisfy our greed, even in supposed Holy Places.

We should collectively ask for forgiveness & it will all end in praise.

READ ALSO: Nigerians Are Not Giving Us The Deserved Support To Fight Coronavirus – Lai Mohammed

The minister further stated that aside from the spiritual angle to the scourge, Nigerians must all work and pray; God can only help those who help themselves.

He also lashed out at Christian religious leaders who he termed as “recalcitrant”, saying they must come to realise that this disease is permitted by God.

Keyamo urged all Nigerians to follow all the directives of NCDC, stressing that the instructions must be obeyed to the letter before the scourge can end in praise. 

The human rights activist also asked Nigerians to use the period of partial lockdown to reignite old friendships and common humanity.

Keyamo stressed that:

“It’s not a period of gloom, but a precaution. Call up old friends; search for your childhood playmates on social media and chat them up. Soon, we shall return to our crazy daily schedules”.

Over 20000 persons have been killed since the novel Coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan, China in December 2019.

Imo Election: PDP Is A Very Unserious Opposition – Keyamo

The Minister of State for Labour and Productivity, Mr Festus Keyamo, briefing reporters in Ugheli, Delta State on January 16, 2020.

 

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Productivity, Mr Festus Keyamo, has described the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as a very unserious opposition.

He made the remark during an interview with reporters on Wednesday while attending an event in Ughelli, Delta State.

“We have an opposition that is a very unserious opposition; an opposition that is not ready to take but they are ready to give,” said the Senior Advocate of Nigeria.

He further described the PDP as “an opposition that takes the benefit from the system; from a particular institution and they don’t want to take the downs from that same institution.”

READ ALSO: Supreme Court Nullifies Election Of Ihedioha, Declares Hope Uzodinma Imo Governor

Keyamo faulted the reaction of the opposition party to the judgement of the Supreme Court which removed Mr Emeka Ihedioha as the governor of Imo State.

A seven-man panel of justices led by the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammed, had ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to withdraw the certificate of return issued to Ihedioha and give same to Senator Hope Uzodinma of the All Progressives Party (APC).

Hope Uzodinma                                                                                                                    Emeka Ihedioha

 

 

Reacting in a statement by its spokesman, Kola Ologbondiyan, the PDP rejected the judgement and wondered how Uzodinma who came fourth could be declared as the winner of the election.

“In fact, the PDP and indeed, most Nigerians are still at a loss as to understand the basis upon which the Supreme Court arrived at its decision.

“The party says it is lamentable that the destiny of the people of Imo state is being taken from the governor they chose and voted for and handed over to individuals and a political party that do not have their blessing and mandate and which they rejected at the election,” the opposition party said.

On his part, Keyamo believes members of the opposition party are not objective with their reaction because the court’s ruling did not favour them.

He highlighted the events in two states where members of the APC were barred from participating in the 2019 general elections.

The minister questioned, “The same court that gave them victories and excluded us entirely in Rivers State, excluded us entirely in Zamfara State; is that the same kangaroo court?

“How can democrats come out and make such very inciting statement? I think it is an irresponsible statement.

“It doesn’t even deserve a response and they need to apologise to Nigerians and to the Supreme Court; it’s extremely provocative,” he added.

Social Media Bill: To Just Post Anything Is Unacceptable – Keyamo

A file photo of Mr Festus Keyamo.

 

 

The Minister of State for Labour and Productivity, Mr Festus Keyamo, believes regulating the posts on social media is the way to go in order to bring sanity into the society.

Keyamo stated this in a series of tweets on Monday in reaction to the proposal of the Social Media Bill by the National Assembly.

He took a swipe at those condemning the bill and asked them to unblock and apologise to those who irritated them with insults.

READ ALSO: Social Media Bill Passes Second Reading In Senate

Although the minister did not support the death penalty for hate speech, he insisted that posting false information on social media was dangerous for the nation.

He stressed that there should be some penal consequences for those who deliberately go online to post false stories under the umbrella of freedom of speech.

The Social Media Bill has sparked mixed reactions from individuals and groups within and outside Nigeria.

Read Keyamo’s tweets below: