Nigerian Lady Trafficked To Lebanon Regains Freedom, Handed Over To Ambassador In Beirut

 

A young Nigerian lady who was trafficked to Lebanon has regained her freedom and has now been handed over to the Nigerian Ambassador in Beirut.

This is according to the Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa.

Mrs Dabiri-Erewa made this disclosure via her official Twitter page on Monday, January 13.

According to the President’s special aide, the young lady who is known as Omolola Ajayi was received warmly by Ambassador Goni Zanna Bura and she is happy to be in safe hands.

She added that Omolola will soon be home.

‘Please save me, I don’t want to die’

A few days ago, Omolola Ajayi cried out for help via a viral video, claiming that she was allegedly sold into slavery in Lebanon.

Omolola revealed that her parents, Mr. Kehinde Ajayi and Mrs. Felicia Ajayi live at Offa Garage at Under Bridge in Ilorin, Kwara State, alleged that a family friend perpetrated the sad act against her.

According to Omolola, she thought she was coming to Lebanon to teach English but discovered she had been deceived upon arriving in the country.

Omolola disclosed that some of those who fell victim to the same scam are already dead as they are not taken to the hospital when they are sick by their “masters” who seized their passport upon arriving in the country.

READ ALSO: Nigerian Docked For Allegedly Killing A South African Policeman

Below is a full transcription of what the distraught young lady said in her viral video.

A family friend introduced me to the Lebanese that brought me here to teach their children English language. It turned out to be a lie. When I got here, they collected my passport and kept it. I asked why they did that, I was told that I had been sold as a slave. What I’m facing here is not a small thing. I hope I don’t die. If we’re sick, they wouldn’t take us to the hospital and they only give us analgesics. Half of the people we came to Lebanon together with have died.

The person I’m with now wants to rape me, but I didn’t agree. I’m struggling with him. He has collected my phone. He said that he wouldn’t return it until I accept his sexual advances. If he is sleeping or has gone out, I take the phone.

I told my boss that I wanted to be returned to Nigeria, he replied that he has paid for me; that dead or alive, he owns me. I have a three-year-old baby in Nigeria. Feminique Life Support, please help me, have mercy on me! I want to take care of my daughter. Please don’t let my death make my parents cry.

The other girl I worked with has travelled so he could come to me again. Please help me, don’t allow them to kill me in this country. I don’t even have room to sleep. I sleep on the floor, in the parlor, in this cold weather. I’m not even given a cloth to cover; I wear rags. Please help me because as this man tried to rape me, I pushed him away, so I am scared of him dying by my hands because they’ll kill me too.

My child doesn’t know me and I am suffering too much. The work I came here to do is different from what they are using me for here, and as I speak, I’m even ill and the only drug I had been given was analgesic.

Four staff from our the Nigerian mission in Lebanon and the “Master” the White Old man that brought Ajayi Omolola. Credit: @nidcom_gov

Reactions and arrest

Reacting to the viral video, Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq of Kwara State condemned the rising trend of human trafficking in the country.

The governor vowed to deal with anyone caught in the state according to the dictates of the law.

Governor Abdulrasaq said he ordered an immediate investigation into the matter, adding that three suspects, comprising two Nigerians and the Lebanese referred to in the footage, had been arrested in connection with the case.

He further revealed that all the suspects and those connected with the case are being interrogated.

The governor also disclosed that discreet investigations by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, in Kwara State have revealed that there are at least 28 other victims of this horrible trafficking gang.

He urged residents to be confident in coming forward with information regarding trafficking activities.

CCTV, Report Will Reveal How Nigerian Pastor Was Killed In China – Chinese Ambassador

 

The Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Zhou Pingjian has promised that CCTV footage and police report with full autopsy will reveal what really led to the death of the Nigerian pastor in China. 

This was disclosed o Tuesday when Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa visited the Chinese Ambassador to Nigeria over the Pastor’s death.

The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa asked the authority to carry out a thorough investigation into the death the Nigerian, Joseph Nwajueze.

READ ALSO: FG Condemns Killing Of Nigerian Pastor In China, Demands Investigation

Pastor Nwajueze died at Guangzhou Guandong Province when he was being chased by the Police.

Speaking on the incident, the Ambassador said so far, the local Chinese police have held a press conference for fair hearing both from the diaspora community and eye witness.

According to him, the CCTV footage and a police report with full autopsy will be made public.

He further revealed that the wife of the deceased will also be allowed to be in China throughout the investigation.

Hajj: Do Not Take Drugs To Saudi Arabia, Dabiri-Erewa Warns Pilgrims

File Photo of Mrs Abike Dabiri

 

Honourable Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM),  has warned intending Muslim pilgrims from Nigeria, not to carry hard drugs to Saudi Arabia, noting that the act attracts a death penalty. 

Speaking when the inaugural flight of intending Muslim pilgrims to 2019 Hajj exercise in Saudi Arabia commenced on Wednesday, Hon Dabiri-Erewa asked the pilgrims to resist any temptation to take hard drugs, stressing that despite repeated warnings and workshops for intending pilgrims, it is disheartening that some Nigerians still ran foul of Saudi Arabia authorities’ law.

She recalled that some Nigerians caught with hard drugs in the last few years are still currently on death row in Saudi Arabia, pleading with pilgrims to shun the shameful act.

Dabiri-Erewa also reminded the pilgrims that kolanuts and prescription painkillers in large quantities have been banned in Saudi Arabia, and if found, attracts severe penalties according to new Saudi Arabia regulations.

She said the Federal government through the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) and various state boards have made adequate arrangements to attend to the medical needs of the pilgrims in Saudi Arabia.

Similarly, she said the Saudi authorities have free medical centres in all the nooks and crannies of the Kingdom equipped with all drugs for their medical needs.

READ ALSO: Senate Asks Executive To Issue South Africa Travel Alert

She urged the security agencies and other para-military stationed at the various departure centres in Nigeria to screen the pilgrims before their departure to Saudi Arabia.

Dabiri-Erewa advised Nigerian pilgrims to be good ambassadors of the country by portraying Nigeria in good image and pray for peace, unity, and progress of the country in the Holy land.

NAHCON had announced that its inaugural flight of Nigerian pilgrims to 2019 Hajj exercise commenced on Wednesday, July 10 with intending pilgrims from Katsina and Lagos states.

The first batch of NAHCON advanced team comprising 39 members of staff for Hajj operations left already for Saudi Arabia since last Friday with another 15-man National Medical Advance Team led by Dr. Ibrahim Kana also departed for Saudi Arabia.

Over 65,000 Nigerians excluding the private operators are slated to perform 2019 Hajj exercise in Saudi Arabia.

It will be recalled that the Saudi Arabian authorities have asked Nigerian pilgrims alongside others not to bring prohibited drugs, foods and items to the country.

“All those who intend to perform Hajj are therefore advised to adhere strictly to the Saudi rules and regulations on prohibited items,” NIDCOM said in a statement.

Reps Warn Nigerian Students Of Studying In Cyprus International University

Nigerian students intending to study in Cyprus have been warned to be wary of moves by the authorities of Cyprus International University, Nicosia to lure them into the institution.

The House Committee on Diaspora led by Committee Chairman, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa drew attention to the dangers of sending Nigerians to the University located in North Cyprus, following the mysterious death of a student in July 2013.

In a statement, Hon. Dabiri-Erewa said the University had alleged that 20-year old Gabriel Soriwe, who hailed from Edo State was knocked down by a female drunk driver whose identity was protected by authorities.

Investigation revealed that the University connived with the North Cyprus police to release Soriwe’s killer and also shield her identity from his parents.

The university went ahead to send Soriwe’s body to his family as unaccompanied cargo without any of his belongings, and with no word of condolence from the institution.

Another Nigerian who lost his life in the region was Stanley Ateimo, who was a musician based in Cyprus and was murdered in August 2013.

The House of Representatives have warned that both the University and its location, Nicosia, are dangerous for Nigerian students, while the institution itself is not recognised by Nigeria and other countries in the world.