The Kaduna State Government has sealed some social facilities and hotels across the state for operating against its COVID-19 safety protocols by reopening businesses.
The facilities which comprised of hotels, bars, lounges, restaurants, bakeries, and swimming pools, were shut down by the state Ministry of Business Innovation and Technology during an inspection on Friday.
In the course of the exercise, the enforcement team, led by the commissioner in charge of the ministry, Idris Nyam met customers eating in the restaurants, bakeries, and drinking inside the hotel bars.
Other violations by the hotels and restaurant operators include non-compliance to physical distancing, failure to install hand washers at the reception and other designated points, as well as failure to use face masks.
The Commissioner warned that the government will not hesitate to deal with erring or non-compliant facilities that violate the stipulated protocols.
The United States warned on Thursday that extremists may be plotting an attack against a major hotel in Nairobi, urging its citizens to be cautious.
“The exact hotel has not been identified, but it is believed to be a hotel popular with tourists and business travelers,” the State Department said in a travel alert.
The State Department urged US citizens to “exercise increased vigilance” if staying in hotels around Nairobi and to be aware of buildings’ emergency evacuation plans.
In Kenya, a US embassy alert warning of the threat went out to citizens, while police on Thursday released a “periodic security alert” saying security had been stepped up as there were “a few criminal elements who may wish to cause harm to the public.”
“We wish to caution the public to be extra vigilant even as the police and other security agencies continue to work around the clock to ensure the safety and security of our country and Kenyans at large,” read the statement, which gave no specific details.
Kenya has witnessed a series of bloody attacks carried out by Al-Shabaab, an extreme Islamist movement affiliated with Al-Qaeda that controls parts of neighboring Somalia.
Kenya sent troops into Somalia in 2011 as part of an African Union peacekeeping mission fighting against Al-Shabaab, and the attacks are a brutal retaliation for its military presence across the border.
In January Al-Shabaab warned that Kenya “will never be safe,” threatening tourists and calling for more attacks on US interests after they stormed a US base in an assault that killed three Americans and destroyed several aircraft.
The Al-Qaeda linked group said its attack on Camp Simba should serve as a “warning,” and that Kenya should withdraw its forces from Somalia while they still “have the chance.”
The group’s most recent attack in Nairobi was in January 2019, when a suicide bomber and gunmen stormed the upmarket Dusit hotel complex, killing 21 people.
In 2013, a Shabaab raid on Nairobi’s upscale Westgate shopping mall left 67 dead in a siege that unfolded over four days.
Less than two years later, Shabaab gunmen stormed Garissa University in northeastern Kenya, killing 148 people as they singled out Christians.
The bloodiest attack in Kenya’s modern history was in 1998 when Al-Qaeda bombed the US embassy in Nairobi, killing 213 people.
Al-Shabaab has slammed a rise in air strikes under President Donald Trump, accusing the United States of “strafing villages from above and indiscriminately bombarding innocent women and children.”
AFRICOM said in April 2019 it had killed more than 800 people in 110 strikes in Somalia since April 2017.
On Monday AFRICOM said a senior Shabaab leader who had been involved in planning the Camp Simba attack was killed in an airstrike.
Observers say the Islamist group has shown remarkable resilience after more than a decade of efforts to combat it, retaining the capacity to inflict major damage despite losing control of several urban centres.
Imo State Governor, Emeka Ihedioha, has ordered the immediate shutdown of a hotel and a water factory over an attack on officials of the Environmental Transformation Commission (ENTRACO) in the state.
M2 International Guest House and Tapa Pure Water factory are located in the Amakohia and Orji areas of the state.
A statement from the governor’s Chief Press Secretary, Chibuike Onyeukwu, said the Ihedioha gave the order on Monday at a crucial meeting with the 27 Chairmen of the Local Government Areas (LGAs) and ENTRACO officials at the Government House in Owerri, the state capital.
A string of nighttime explosions at a Turkish military base in northern Cyprus damaged a nearby seaside hotel and injured 12 people Thursday, prompting the evacuation of terrified tourists, officials said.
The blasts rang out at intervals over a three-hour period in the arms depot at the base in Catalkoy, west of the town of Kyrenia, sparking a fire.
The luxury Acapulco Hotel was damaged, with windows shattered and ceilings collapsed, and guests evacuated to a safe area.
Turkish Cypriot authorities said 12 people were injured, two of whom remained in hospital several hours later. A probe was launched to determine the cause of the blasts.
The Kyrenia area on the north coast lies within a breakaway state that Turkish Cypriot leaders declared in 1983 but which remains recognised only by Ankara.
The island has been divided on ethnic lines since Turkish troops occupied its northern third in 1974 following a Greek Cypriot coup.
Turkey continues to maintain a sizeable military presence in the north.
Officials in northern Cyprus said on July 1 that a suspected stray Russian missile had exploded just outside the divided island’s capital during an Israeli air raid in Syria, without causing casualties.
A fierce fire broke out at a hotel in the upscale French Alps ski resort of Megeve, forcing the evacuation of around 180 people though no injuries were reported, officials said Friday.
The blaze was discovered on the wooden roof of the chalet-style Four Seasons hotel at around 10:00 pm (2100 GMT) on Thursday, and 70 firefighters worked throughout the night to bring the fire under control by Friday morning.
Officials said the building’s fire alarms did not go off immediately, but the estimated 60 guests and 120 staff at the site were outside the building even before firefighters arrived.
Evacuees are being housed elsewhere during the investigation into the cause of the blaze, which local newspaper Le Dauphine Libere said might have been started by a chimney fire.
The five-star hotel, whose restaurant holds two Michelin stars, belongs to the Rothschild family, which began developing Megeve in the 1920s to rival the luxurious St. Moritz in Switzerland.
It was the second major fire to strike a French Alps ski resort this winter, after a suspected arson attack at a residence for seasonal workers in Courchevel in January left two people dead.
On Tuesday, sources close to that investigation said a man was arrested this week for questioning.
The man, in his 30s, was seen by several witnesses in Courchevel when the fire occurred and was arrested on the France-Spain border by police investigating an unrelated case, according to a report by RTL radio.
No fewer than 11 people were confirmed dead with 14 others seriously injured after an explosion rocked People’s Brothel in Bayangari, Bauchi State on Friday (June 27).
The incident, which occurred around 9.45pm in the night threw the area into pandemonium as traders and residents ran for cover.
The Bauchi State Police Command spokesman, Haruna Mohammed, confirmed the incident in a statement. He said that investigations had commenced.
He added that all 11 corpses were evacuated to the mortuary, while injured persons had been taken to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital for treatment.
The affected area has been cordoned off as Police has commenced investigations to ascertain the cause of the explosion.
No terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the explosion yet, but it seems to have been carried out by the Boko Haram insurgents.
The Police has again urged members of the public to always be more security conscious by paying attention to persons and objects, particularly at motor parks, market places, schools, places of worship, shopping malls, eateries and hotels.
Two weeks ago, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) announced that it had called off the lease for two projects, a hotel and conference center located around the domestic wing of the Murtala Muhammed airport, MMA2 in Lagos.
The director of legal services, FAAN, Mr. Mark Jacobs said by the agreement, the concessionaire entrusted with the projects, Bi-Courtney Nigeria Ltd was to have completed them in 2008 and despite an extension till 2009, and the projects still remain uncompleted in 2013.
Chairman of Bi-Courtney, Dr. Wale Babalakin however insists that his company has a court order restraining FAAN from taking over the lease.
On this episode of law weekly with our judiciary correspondent, Shola Soyele, both men argue the legality of their different positions.
Trial has finally commenced in the murder case of a Nasarawa State University postgraduate student, Cynthia Osokogu who was allegedly lured to Lagos by men she became friends with on a social media platform, Facebook.
The late Cynthia died after she was allegedly poisoned, raped and strangulated to death by two of the men, Okwumo Nwabufo and Ezike Olisaeloka.
Presiding Justice Olabisi Akinlade of the Lagos High Court, Ikeja refused all moves by the defence team to stall the trial and promptly took the testimony of the first prosecution witness after the arraignment of the 4 suspects in the case.
The four defendants all pleaded ‘not guilty’ to a six count charge brought against them.
The first prosecution witness, Mrs ifeanyiwa Njewu, a Biochemist graduate of the Federal University of Technology Minna, testified that as at the time of the incident, the 22nd of July, 2012, she worked as the receptionist of the Cosmilla Suites & Hotel at Lakeview, Phase 1 Estate, Amuwo Odofin LGA around Festac where the late Cynthia was killed.
In her testimony, she identified the 2nd and 4th defendant as being present at the hotel on the day of the incident.
Meanwhile, the court has granted bail to the 3rd and 4th defendants in the case. While the 1st & 2nd who allegedly committed the offence are still remanded at the Kirikiri Prison in Apapa area of Lagos.
Trial however continues on the 22nd of Feb.
The four accused persons are facing a six count charge. In the charge, the state alleged that two of the suspects, Okwumo and Ezike on or about 22 July, 2012 at Cosmilla Hotel, Amuwo-Odofin, Festac Town, conspired to murder Cynthia Osokogu.
The state alleged that the suspects murdered Cynthia by administering Rohypnol Flunitrazepan tablet into her drink, chaining her hands and legs and strangled her to death.
The duo were also alleged to have stolen three blackberry phones valued at N150,000, Jewelleries, an international passport and a drivers licence belonging to Cynthia after they strangled her to death.
Orji Osita, the third suspect was charged for negligently selling the Rohypnol Flunitrazepan tablets to Ezike, the second defendant without a doctor’s prescription and without showing due care.
Ezike Nonso, the 4th defendant was the man who allegedly bought Cynthia’s stolen blackberry bold 5 and he was charged for being in possession of a stolen phone.
The late Cynthia is the only daughter of a Retired Major Frank Osokogu.
She was a post-graduate student and the owner of a popular fashion store in Nassarawa state, Nigeria.
A 3-storey building under construction along Works Layout in Owerri the Imo state capital has collapsed.
Sources said the building collapsed around 11 pm yesterday night during a heavy downpour.
It was also disclosed that a 28 year old man identified as Joseph Ekanem a carpenter who happens to be one of the workers inside the building have been trapped inside, even though they cannot ascertain if there are more workers trapped inside and they cannot ascertain as there are 6 workers working in the building on daily basis.
Sources also disclosed that the owner of the building who lodged in a hotel close to the building came to the scene of the incidence but quickly locked up the building and ran away, when Channels Television contacted him on the phone, he denied ownership of the building.
At the time of filing this report, State emergency management agency (SEMA), Imo rescue team, Road Safety and combined security operatives in the state forcefully broke into the premises in order to rescue the trapped man.
However, some of the people living in the neighbourhood attributed the collapse to quack and shabby job by the contractor as the foundation is not strong enough to carry a 3-storey building.