At least one person was killed and five others injured in Johannesburg on Sunday, police said, after security forces clashed with looters in the latest outbreak of xenophobic violence.
South Africa’s biggest city and other areas were hit by a surge of attacks against businesses owned by migrants in the last week, leaving at least 10 people dead and prompting protests from several African countries.
Riot police fired stun grenades and rubber bullets on Sunday to break up crowds targeting shops in the city’s Central Business District (CBD), police said.
“We can confirm one person was reported dead,” police spokesperson Xlolani Fihla told AFP. “We can’t confirm the cause of death.”
Five more people were reported injured, Captain Kay Makhubele, a national police force official, told eNCA news.
Police later said on Twitter the CBD, Jeppestown and Hillbrow neighbourhoods were under control.
South Africa is a major destination for economic migrants from neighbouring Lesotho, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe. But others come from South Asia and Nigeria looking for work in the continent’s second-largest economy.
The recent violence soured ties between South Africa and Nigeria, which summoned Pretoria’s envoy and boycotted an economic summit in Cape Town in protest.
Officials said several Nigerian businesses were attacked and burned down, though they said no Nigerians were killed.
Foreign workers often face anti-immigrant violence in South Africa, where they compete against locals for jobs, particularly in low-skilled industries.
In 2008, xenophobic attacks left 62 people dead, while in 2015, seven were killed in attacks in Johannesburg and Durban.
South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa on Friday mourned the death of Zimbabwe’s former president and remembered him as a “champion of Africa’s cause against colonialism”.
“Under President Mugabe’s leadership, Zimbabwe’s sustained and valiant struggle against colonialism inspired our own struggle against apartheid and built in us the hope that one day South Africa too would be free,” Ramaphosa said in a statement.
South Africa’s ethics watchdog on Friday said President Cyril Ramaphosa misled parliament last year over a 500,000-rand ($36,000, 32,000-euro) donation to his campaign fund from a company facing extensive corruption allegations.
Analysts said the damning report by the country’s ombudswoman, Busisiwe Mkhwebane, could boost Ramaphosa’s opponents within the ruling African National Congress (ANC) party, which is riven by in-fighting.
Mkhwebane determined that the president had given parliament “erroneous” information when responding to an opposition question over the October 2017 donation.
Ramaphosa initially told lawmakers that the payment was to his son Andile for consultancy work for Bosasa, now known as African Global Operations (AGO).
But Ramaphosa later said it was a donation towards his campaign to become ANC party leader — a hard-fought battle in which he beat ex-president Jacob Zuma’s chosen candidate.
Ramaphosa reacted strongly to the report, saying in a statement that it was “unfortunate” that Mkhwebane had not “given due consideration” to his explanation that he did not know about the donation.
Ramaphosa “reaffirms his determination and commitment to fight all forms of corruption” and that “no person regardless of the position they hold is above law”, the statement said.
He has promised to return the funds.
In the report released on Friday, Mkhwebane said that despite Ramaphosa correcting himself “he indeed misled parliament”.
“He should have allowed himself sufficient time to research on a well-informed response,” she said.
After taking over when graft-tainted Zuma was ousted in 2018, Ramaphosa led the ANC to victory in May elections, staking his reputation on fighting corruption.
The findings against the president were “more damaging than expected”, said Darias Jonker of the London-based Eurasia risk consultancy.
The ANC is bitterly split between Zuma supporters and those backing Ramaphosa, who took the helm after Zuma became entangled in graft scandals.
“This report will add to the (pro-Zuma) faction’s plans to neutralize and remove Ramaphosa, as they are threatened by his anti-corruption campaign,” Jonker said.
But he ruled out Ramaphosa facing criminal charges or removal by parliament “in the short-term”.
Mkhwebane is the Public Protector, a powerful watchdog in South Africa who should be politically independent, although critics accuse her of being a Zuma loyalist.
Zuma on Friday withdrew from testifying to an inquiry into corruption during his rule, complaining of bias, though he may return at a later date.
In the corruption scandal popularly referred to as “state capture”, he is alleged to have overseen mass looting of public assets during his nine-year tenure.
Mkhwebane added that the funds for Ramaphosa’s campaign were moved from one account to another, raising suspicion of “money-laundering”.
She asked the country’s prosecution authority to investigate and also gave the speaker of parliament 30 days to demand Ramaphosa divulge publicly all the donations he received towards his campaign.
Ramaphosa’s office said he would study the report in detail and decide on any further action.
The main opposition Democratic Alliance party, which first raised questions about the donation to Ramaphosa, called for lawmakers to take decisive action.
“It is time that parliament regain its teeth so that no individual who rises to the office of president will ever be able to abuse that power,” DA leader Mmusi Maimane told reporters.
He demanded that Ramaphosa appear before a special parliamentary committee, saying “what is clear is that this matter runs much deeper than initially thought.”
In a freak accident, a man shot dead his 14-year-old son outside his school in South Africa where he had been waiting to collect him after classes, police said on Wednesday.
Police have arrested the 50-year-old father, who is expected to appear in court on Thursday.
The man had dropped off his son for evening classes on Tuesday and decided to wait for him outside the high school south of Johannesburg.
He sat in his car, locked the doors and waited inside the vehicle, but then fell asleep.
When the son returned he knocked on the passenger window to alert his father that he was back.
“The father who was asleep in the car with his firearm on him got scared by the knocking of his son, he pulled out his firearm and shot towards the direction of the person who was knocking,” police spokesman Mpande Khoza said in a statement.
“He then realised that it was his son after he had fired the shot,” he said, adding the boy died as he was being taken to the hospital.
The school had to postpone examinations that were due to take place on Wednesday.
The incident occurred in Ennerdale, a gang-infested township south of Johannesburg.
Violent crime is notoriously common in South Africa, with armed robbery, rape, carjacking and muggings among the biggest threats.
A 36-year-old Nigerian man has jumped to his death from his apartment on the ninth floor of a building in Johannesburg, allegedly in an attempt to avoid arrest.
There are still conflicting accounts about the events that led to the invitation of the police to Christopher Omoike’s apartment but his flatmate, a Nigerian man, and his girlfriend said he was trying to avoid arrest following an alleged violent attack on a Nigerian lady who has a child for him.
The Nigerian Consul-General, Godwin Adama, visited the scene of the incident which occurred on Sunday on the invitation of the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID).
“We were told that the previous night, he (Omoike) had been very worried because he was having challenges with the (Nigerian) lady that had a baby for him and seized her phone,” Mr Adama said.
He added that Omoike reportedly beat the lady up later that night in a struggle over the phone, injuring her.
“On the basis of this, the roommate, Oscar, as part of his testimony, took her to the police station to make a report about the fact that she was battered… and based on this, the police were invited,” Mr Adama continued.
Omoike’s South African girlfriend who was with him that night said the 36-year-old told her that if the police came to arrest him, he would kill himself.
An investigation is, however, ongoing into the incident.
“The police told me that the most important thing is to establish the fact,” Mr Adama said, adding that the police denied doing anything to Omoike when they got to his location.
An autopsy would be carried out by the police to ascertain the cause of death.
“After the autopsy, the Independent Investigative Police Directorate will hand over the case to other police investigators,” Mr Adama said.
Johannesburg’s O.R. Tambo airport, Africa’s largest, was evacuated on Monday and passengers forced to wait for two hours to return after South African officials identified a suspect bag.
Images of the deserted terminal were posted to social media while other photographs showed crowds of passengers waiting on roadways for the all-clear to return inside.
The airport’s international arrivals hall was evacuated around 0915 GMT after the errant baggage was spotted and airport users were unable to re-enter until after 1115 GMT, airport spokeswoman Leigh Gunkel-Keuler told AFP.
“To ensure the safety of passengers and customers in the airport terminal building, people were evacuated from the area,” she added in a statement.
“(The police service) has now provided airport management with the assurance that passengers and customers can now return to the airport terminal building.”
The incident caused delays to several flights although the airport had largely returned to normal operation, she added.
“We apologise to clients, passengers, retail concessionaires and all other stakeholders for the inconvenience and ask that they plan accordingly.”
More than 20.6 million passengers use the airport every year and 41 airlines serve the facility according to its operator, Airports Company South Africa.
The South African Police say they have arrested a suspected “Coup Plotter” for planning to assassinate nearly 19 people, including government ministers, officials of state-owned firms and prominent citizens.
The 23-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday following undercover operations in the capital, Pretoria, and the main Commercial City, Johannesburg.
The suspect, a founding member of the Anti-State Capture Death Squad Alliance (ASCDSA), was arrested while trying to explain to donors how the assassination of state capture beneficiaries was going to be carried out by the undercover coup plot snipers.
Former Super Eagles coach, Augustine Eguavoen, has said he is confident that the 2017 Future Champions Gauteng Cup tournament will serve as a learning experience for the team.
Eguavoen led the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) All-Stars Under-17 team to a Silver Medal at the Future Champions Gaunteng international tournament in Johannesburg.
In an exclusive interview with Channels Television in Johannesburg, Eguavoen said the team deserves commendation as they got to know each other within nine days in camp.
Meanwhile, the first Vice President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), Seyi Akinwunmi, said the football house will continue to work towards building a functional youth system in the country’s domestic leagues clubs.
He also said the NPFL U-17 All-Stars have shown they can compete among the best finishing in second place among top teams in Europe, Asia and Africa.