Kaduna Govt Relaxes 24-Hour Curfew

 

The Kaduna State Government has relaxed the 24-hour curfew starting from today.

The spokesman to the state government, Samuel Aruwan, made the announcement at the end of the Security Council meeting on Sunday.

He said residents are free to move around till 5 pm on Sunday while movement on Monday will be between 6 am and 5 pm daily.

The development comes after the state government on Saturday revealed that 32 people had been arrested for their alleged involvement in the disturbance of the state.

According to the state government, the suspects will be investigated and then prosecuted.

Mr Aruwan also noted that banks, schools, markets and other activities are expected to resume full activities from Monday and will operate within the stipulated period till further notice.

Kaduna Govt Declares Free Education For Girls In Public Secondary Schools

 

The Kaduna state government has declared free education for all female students in public secondary schools in the state.

The state commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Ja’afaru Sani, stated this at a press conference in his office.

He said the objective of the policy is to increase the enrolment of young girls into school, giving their strategic role to nation-building.

The commissioner said that a directive has been sent to all the Education zonal offices and secondary schools in the state to immediately commence the implementation of the free education policy.

One of the major policies of the Governor Nasir El-Rufai administration shortly after it came to power is the series of reforms it made in the Kaduna state’s education sector.

This includes the declaration of free education for primary school pupils and recruitment of newly qualified teachers.

It had been only the primary school, pupils enjoying the free education which led to Governor El-Rufai’s decision to include secondary school girls as a way of reducing high illiteracy level in the state, especially among the female folks.

Mr Sani also disclosed that the newly recruited primary school teachers in the state will be paid their outstanding salaries by end of September this year.

In addition to clearing all the backlog of salaries, the Education Commissioner says that the state government has directed that the responsibility of paying salaries and allowances of primary school teachers be transferred from the local government councils to the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) to enable teachers to get their salaries in good time.

Kaduna Govt Clarifies Statement On $350m World Bank Loan

Gunmen Kill Six People In Fresh Kaduna Attack

 

The Kaduna State Deputy Governor, Bala Bantex, has clarified the statement he made on Monday, saying that failure by the Senate to approve the $350M World Bank loan may likely affect other states, that have applied for a similar loan from the same bank.

He said that the moral burden involved in granting other states their loan request while that of Kaduna will not be approved is based on the sentiments of few individuals in the Senate.

The Deputy Governor said his remarks over the loan controversy was not intended to undermine the efforts by other states who are seeking for a similar loan but was just made to highlight some points.

He made this known at an event organised by the Nigerian Bar Association in the state capital.

According to him, it is not within his powers to suggest how the World Bank chooses to relate to the Nigerian Government and its sub-national entities.

While expressing disappointment over the roles played by the three Senators from the state in truncating the loan request despite the state meeting up with all the conditions, he noted that such an unfair treatment should not be meted against any other state in the country or entity that is seeking for similar fund to finance its infrastructural development.

Kaduna Govt Seeks More Investments To Boost Economy

Kaduna Govt Increases Teachers' Salaries by 32.5%
A file photo of Kaduna State Governor, Nasir-El-Rufai // Source – @elrufai

 

The Kaduna State Government has called on investors to come and invest in the state, in an effort to consolidate gains already recorded in improving the economy.

This follows the preparation towards the third edition of the State Economic and Investment Summit, which is slated to hold on April 4-5th, 2018.

The state Commissioner for Budget and Planning, Muhammad Sani, who briefed journalists after the weekly Executive Council meeting on Monday, said the summit is part of the drive to improve investment opportunities as well as boosting the revenue base of the state

According to him, the state has attracted over 1 Billion dollars’ worth of investments and direct jobs through the economic summit, which include the $150m Olam animal, poultry and hatchery factory located in Chikun Local Government Area of the state along Abuja-Kaduna Expressway, tractor assembly plant in Kakuri industrial layout, $10m Dangote Tomatoes production plant in Kaduna, $120m Vicampro potatoes farm and processing facility in Manchok, Kaura, in the Southern part of the State.

The Budget and Planning Commissioner, promised that the summit which will attract prominent local and international businessmen and investors across the globe will be the biggest among the other editions.

Why We Demolished APC Faction’s Secretariat – Kaduna Govt

Scene of the demolition

 

The Kaduna State Government has defended the demolition of a building which was being used as the secretariat of a faction of the All Progressives Congress in the state.

The demolition of the building on Tuesday morning has caused a political storm as it comes just days after the faction of the party emerged and announced that it had suspended Governor Nasir El-Rufai from the party.

But the state government insists it has nothing to do with politics.

The Director-General of the Kaduna State Geographic Information Service (KADGIS), Mr Ibrahim Husseini, said the building was brought down as part of an exercise to rid the state of illegal structures, tackle street trading and restore order across the state.

“This morning a building on 11B Sambo Close was removed for flagrant violations of land use and non-payment of ground rent since 2010,” Mr Husseini said.

“This illegal violation of use had begun to distress neighbours who were being forced to endure an influx of thugs and blockage of the road.”

  • READ More: 

The KADGIS DG explained in a statement that due process was followed and that the state government only revoked the land on which the building was cited after the owners failed to pay land charges and comply with government directives.

He said, “Since 2016, the government has been taking action on various land-related matters, including revoking all undeveloped land titles in the state and directed that all abandoned buildings be developed within three months of the notice.

“The Kaduna Geographic Information Service (KADGIS) issued a revocation notice of the statutory right of occupancy No. KD. 16712, that covers 11b Sambo Close in the Ungwan Rimi area.

“The appropriate notice of revocation was delivered at 28 Inuwa Wada Road, the registered address of the company that held the title to the property. The notice was also delivered to the building in question and sent by post to the registered address of the previous title holder.”

After revoking the land, Husseini said, the state government allocated it to the Kaduna State Urban Planning and Development Agency “for the purpose of developing and maintaining a public park that will provide a green area and a serene place for recreation in that residential neighbourhood”.

The government warned all title owners to comply with the terms of the allocation or risk suffering a similar fate.

“The purpose of allocation of land cannot be wilfully altered; neither can title holders lawfully neglect to pay their ground rents,” it said while calling on residents to support it in getting rid of poor structures in the state.

‘Act of terror’

The affected faction is not buying the explanation of the state government, however, and has described the demolition as ‘an act of terror’.

The group had opened the parallel office at 11B Sambo close in the state capital on Thursday last week after party in the state announced the suspension of the Senator representing Kaduna North district, Suleiman Hunkuyi, and expulsion of 28 other members for anti-party activities.

A Chieftain of the APC loyal to the new faction, Mikaiah Tokwak, told Channels Television that the action had given credence to their insistence that their constitutionally guaranteed rights to freely associate was under attack.

The Senate has also condemned the demolition of the secretariat.

Kaduna Govt Screens Teachers Ahead Of Deployment To Schools

File Photo: Nasir El-Rufai

The Kaduna State Government has commenced the screening of over 22,000 new teachers ahead of their deployment to public primary schools across the state.

This has put to rest the controversy generated from the sacking of over 21,000 unqualified teachers who failed a competency test in June last year.

Our correspondent who is monitored the exercise, reports that the screening of the new teachers is going on simultaneously across the three senatorial zones in the state.

The Kaduna State Executive Council had approved the outcome of the teachers’ competency test, and consequently directed immediate recruitment of new ones.

The action according to the State Universal Basic Education (SUBEB) is part of the state government’s effort to equip all schools with competent and qualified teachers in the bid to provide quality education and learning to pupils across the state.

So far, the applicants seem to be satisfied with the process and are hopeful of making it to the classrooms.

The Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT) had embarked on an indefinite strike early this month following the insistence by the state government go ahead with its plan to sack 21,780 primary school teachers said to have failed the primary four examination conducted to test their competency.

The union later suspended the industrial action on grounds that the sacked teachers have been given a second opportunity to reapply for the job.

Kaduna Govt Introduces Land Use Charge, Abolishes Tenement Rate

Property owners in Kaduna State say they have started receiving demand notices for payment of 2017 land use charge.

A statement by Kaduna Internal Revenue Service (KADIRS) Executive Chairman, Mukhtar Ahmed, said that the state has abolished payment of tenement rate, which was previously collected by Local Government Councils.

Ahmed, described the rates applied to land use charge in Kaduna State as being among the lowest in the country. Ahmed said the rates are based on the location of the property, adding that the scale of fees applicable in specific areas of the state has been published on the state website, www.kdsg.gov.ng.

The KADIRS chairman explained that in demanding payment of the Land Use Charge, the service is acting in accord with its powers under the law. “Pursuant to the Taxes and Levies (Approved List for Collection) Act, VAP T2 LFN as amended and the Kaduna State Tax Codification and Consolidation Law 2016, the Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service hereby notifies the general public, especially property owners, that with effect from August 2017, KADIRS will commence the assessment and issuance of Demand Notices for Land Use Charge(LUC) on real properties in the state.”

Ahmed disclosed that the abolition of tenement rate is in line with the Kaduna State Government’s policy of eliminating multiple taxations.

KADIRS reminded property owners that the service has established a seamless payment process for the land use charge: “Property owners are advised to pay the Land Use Charge(LUC) into any of the Kaduna State Internally Generated Revenue(IGR) accounts with any of the collecting banks within 30 days from the date of receipt of the notice. Property owners are required to forward evidence of payment (e-ticket) to KADIRS and collect an official revenue receipt”.

Shiites and Youths Clash Again in Kaduna

Shiites-protest, Shiites, Kaduna violenceThere was tension again in Tudun Wada area of Kaduna metropolis on Saturday following another bloody clash between some youths and members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria.

Tudun-Wada is one of the flash-points in the state known for its volatility.

A resident of the area told our correspondent that trouble started on Saturday when members of the Shi’ite attempted to rebuild their centre that was destroyed on Wednesday when the youths allegedly swooped on them.

“The youths warned the Shi’ite members ‎to leave the premises and when they refused, they attacked them with clubs and knives injuring a few of the Shi’ites,” a source said.

Saturday’s clash makes it twice in just one week after the previous one on Wednesday that left four people dead.

Again, two members of the sect were feared dead in the Saturday’s attack but the Kaduna Command of the Nigerian Police Force said only two people were injured in the latest incident.

Spokesman for the command, Aliyu Usman, told Channels Television on phone that two persons were injured and have been rushed to the hospital for treatment.

In a statement he later issued, the command warned residents of the consequences of taking the laws into hands, warning that such unruly behaviour will be visited with full wrath of the law.

The latest clash has sparked off apprehension in Tudun Wada, Kabala West and other neigbouring communities where a number of Shi’ite members are living.

As at the time of filing this report, normalcy had returned to the area , as Police had taken over strategic locations to curtail escalation of the crisis.

The Kaduna State Government had, in response to Wednesday’s attack, warned against mob attack on any individual or groups under any guise throughout the state.

Spokesman for the Kaduna State Governor, Samuel Aruwan, gave the assurance that security agencies have been directed to vigorously maintain law and order across the state, including investigating and effecting arrests of participants in the mob actions.

Kaduna Govt. Condemns Mob Attack Against Shiites

Mob attack, Kaduna Govt., Shiites, Prison Inmates, Kaduna,The Kaduna State Government has warned against mob attack on any individual or groups under any guise throughout the state.

This was in response to Wednesday’s clash between some youths and members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria at Tudun Wada area, which claimed the lives of four people.

Spokesman for the Kaduna State Governor, Samuel Aruwan, gave the assurance that security agencies have been directed to vigorously maintain law and order across the state, including investigating and effecting arrests of participants in the mob actions.

In a statement on Thursday, the government described the mob attacks as clearly lawless and one which cannot be allowed to provide cover for individuals resorting to illegal self-help.

The government further directed security agencies to arrest and prosecute anyone or groups found taking laws into their hands.

The statement added that: “The Government condemns in strong terms this unfortunate situation and commiserates with the affected citizens and their families, and others that lost their properties and valuables.

“The Government therefore wishes to categorically warn citizens against mob action. No one will be allowed to conduct themselves in an arbitrary manner. Impunity has no place in this state.

“There are designated agencies vested with the duty of law enforcement, and citizens cannot usurp their roles; rather it is the duty of all citizens to report infractions of the law and help to prevent or detect crime. There can be no recourse to self-help.

“Only constituted authority and security agencies have the statutory right and the constitutional mandate to enforce compliance to the law. Every resident of Kaduna State has the right to the constitutional freedoms outlined in Sections 38 and 40.”

Kaduna Govt. to Assign Security Roles To Traditional Rulers

KadunaIn a bid to address the incessant communal clashes and killings in some parts of Kaduna, the state government says it will assign constitutional roles to traditional rulers to oversee the security of lives and property in their respective domains.

Addressing members of the Kaduna State Traditional Rulers Council during their courtesy visit in his office, Governor Nasir El-Rufai said traditional institutions are important in the management of welfare and security in the country, but lamented that their roles have been usurped by the local government authorities.

He stressed the need for the review of the 1976 local government laws which give the traditional rulers powers to maintain peace and security in their respective domains.

The traditional rulers from across the 23 Local Government Areas of Kaduna State were led to the Council Chamber by their Chairman, the Emir of Zazzau, Alhaji Shehu Idris.

Their mission was to congratulate the Governor and his deputy on their victory at the last election and successful inauguration, as well as to seek areas of collaboration with government.

Governor El-Rufai lamented that the problem of insecurity in the state had become complicated and compounded because of the failure of past administrations to assign constitutional responsibilities to the traditional institutions.

He explained that a security committee which will include traditional rulers and other critical stakeholders will soon be established by the state government in order to work out the specific roles for traditional rulers towards the maintenance of peace and security in the state.

Traditional rulers in Nigeria have gradually witnessed the erosion of their powers, from depending upon British colonial administration to dependence upon elected politicians and as their roles narrowed, that of the political institutions increased.

Many Nigerians have agreed that this situation also creates a huge gap between the people at the grassroots and government at the states and centre.

Kaduna Govt. Constructs 45 Primary School Blocks, Recruits 1,800 Teachers

KadunaThe Kaduna State Government has completed a total of 45 primary school blocks and 50 additional ones at various stages of completion while old ones have been rehabilitated.

This is according to the Spokesman for the Governor, Ahmed Maiyaki, during a news conference on Sunday.

Speaking on behalf of the State Governor, Mukhtar Yero, disclosed that the 45 newly completed primary schools, scattered across the three senatorial zones in the state, were part of efforts by government to provide qualitative education in the state.

In addition, he disclosed that the State Government has also recruited 1,800 qualified teachers in order to fill the missing gap in academic curriculum in the state’s secondary schools.

The Governor’s spokesman further disclosed that the State Government has also spent the sum of 150million naira for the training of medical students in Uganda, while additional 54million naira has been released for the construction and rehabilitation of grazing routes and reserves for Fulani herdsmen.

He explained that the aim is to reduce the frequent clashes between the herdsmen and local farmers especially in the southern part of the state.