A middle aged man has been arrested by officers of the Nigeria Police Force under the Ogun State Command in connection with an underground cell suspected to be ritualists’ operation base at Iyana Egbado village in Ewekoro Local Government Area of Ogun State, south west Nigeria.
The suspect was allegedly arrested with pieces of meat suspected to be chopped human parts in a polythene bag.
It was gathered that the suspect had attempted to kill a woman before she was rescued by a passers-by under a bridge, just about 250 meters away from the main gate of a popular cement company along the Abeokuta -Lagos expressway
The suspect, simply identified as Gbenga, was said to be a lunatic and had lived in the area since the past nine months.
He pleaded with the crowd not to kill him, asking for an opportunity to confess.
According to a report, the suspect told the mob that he belonged to a five-man syndicate among them a woman who operated in the Ewekoro axis of the state in the past nine months.
It was further gathered that police officers from the Itori police station arrived at the scene of the incident and thereafter whisked the suspect away to avoid being lynched by the mob that gathered at the scene of the incident.
Confirming the incident, the State Police spokesman, Mr Muyiwa Adejobi said the State Commissioner of Police, Ikemefuna Okoye, had ordered full investigation into the incident, but quick to ask members of the public not to take laws into their hands.
In a related development, the Oyo State Police Command arrested two suspects, who disguised as lunatics, at a suspected ritualist den.
They have confessed that they were human body parts dealers.
After a security meeting with Governor Abiola Ajimobi, the state Commissioner of Police, Mr Mohammed Indabawa, said that it was not yet clear if the suspects were involved in the Soka incident.
Residents of Soka area had, last week, found decomposing human remains, skeletons and about 23 survivors inside an abandoned building dubbed the “House of Horror”.
The discovery sparked protests in the area, with protesters targeting lunatics seen around the area.
After the protest began, the government ordered the withdrawal of lunatics from major streets, with over 42 lunatics withdrawn so far in order to prevent them from further attacks.
There are also indications that forensic pathologists sent from the Force Criminal investigation Department in Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, have started work on the den.
The Oyo State Security Council, after an emergency meeting on Wednesday, reaffirmed its resolve to apprehend perpetrators of the dastardly act of kidnap at the Soka area of the state capital.
Addressing journalists after the meeting headed by the state governor, Senator Abiola Ajimobi, the State Commissioner of Police, Mr Muhammed Ndabawa, stated that among others, preliminary investigations from the security agencies had revealed that the den of kidnappers and the activities of kidnappers in the place now tagged Evil Forest, had been in existence since about 10 years ago.