Operatives of the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) have arrested 14 Togolese nationals and 10 Nigerians at Ajilete and Ilase border posts in Ogun State.
The Service Public Relations Officer, Sunday James, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.
According to him, the Togolese nationals who are all females comprise eight adults and six minors.
James explained that they were arrested in a J5 bus at Ajilete and the other 10 Nigerians were apprehended at Ilase for defying the government’s directive on the closure of land borders.
He added that five of the Nigerians were victims of human trafficking and would be handed over to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP).
The NIS spokesman said the arrested persons were profiled by the Comptroller of the Ogun State Command, Kunle Osisanya, after health officials subjected them to COVID-19 tests in line with the medical procedures of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
In his reaction, the Comptroller General of NIS, Muhammad Babandede, commended the officers for the success and asked them to up the tempo of their patrol.
He noted that some of the arrests were along illegal points created by the smugglers in the area.
“On their way out of the area, the diehard smugglers mobilised themselves in an overwhelming number, launching a vicious attack with assorted weapons on officers performing their lawful duties.
“In an effort to repel the attack and avoid bloodshed, one officer of the Customs, Assistant Superintendent Chidi Johnson, was brutally macheted, sustaining deep cuts in various parts of his body,” the statement said.
The command spokesman added that the injured officer was immediately rushed to the hospital for medical attention and has been responding to treatment.
He revealed that five suspects were arrested in connection with the incident and have been taken into custody for interrogation.
“We find it unfortunate and strange that the daredevil smugglers who have no regards for laws of the land or coronavirus pandemic disease ravaging the global community resorted to crossing the border through illegal routes to perpetrate such nefarious activities in total disregard of the health and economic well-being of Nigerians.”
“Principally, we seize this opportunity to enjoin the faceless unpatriotic smuggling cartels to stop using uninformed youths as cannon fodders in their nefarious trade,” the station added.
The management of the Federal Medical Centre in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital has confirmed five cases of coronavirus at the facility.
In a statement on Saturday, the Head of Public Relations and Information at the FMC, Olusegun Orisajo, revealed that two of the infected persons were staff of the centre.
He said, “Two patients who tested positive for coronavirus earlier this week at the Federal Medical Centre, Abeokuta have been transferred to the Ogun State Isolation facility at Ikenne.”
“Further to those, the centre hereby confirmed the case of another three patients whose test results just returned positive.
“Two of them are staff of this centre – a nurse and an administrative staff – which brings the total number to five. So far, no doctor in the centre has tested positive for coronavirus contrary to some media reports,” the FMC spokesman added.
According to him, the FMC Medical Director, Professor Adewale Musa-Olomu, has assured the workers at the facility of their safety and protection.
He also gave the assurance to users of the centre, stressing that the management of the centre was fully alive to its responsibility.
“The Medical Director cited the receipt of a consignment of some Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Sunday, as part of the determined efforts of his administration to ensure the safety of the staff while on duty.
“He disclosed that the centre has been assured of another consignment next week,” Orisajo added.
He, therefore, urged the sick and those in need of the centre’s services to approach the facility whenever the need arises.
Ogun State government has discharged six COVID-19 patients after they recovered and tested negative for the virus.
According to the state ministry of health, they were discharged on Wednesday from the Isolation centre in Ikenne after testing negative twice.
The six patients have since joined their families to continue living their normal lives. This brings the total number of discharged cases in the state to 20.
Meanwhile, four new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were announced in the State by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday.
This brings the total number of confirmed cases in the State to 95. Out of these 95, there are currently 73 active cases who are receiving treatment at isolation centres in the state.
The State Ministry of Health expressed the hope that as the days go by, more patients would be discharged, and urged the residents to continue to maintain social distancing as the use of face masks alone may not stop the spread of the infection.
The Ogun State Police Command has warned residents against non-compliance with the measures put in place to curb the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in the state.
In a statement on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun, Abimbola Oyeyemi, asked the owners of commercial vehicles and motorcycles in the state not to carry beyond the required number of passengers.
According to him, the command has directed its personnel to arrest any vehicle or motorcycle caught carrying more than the required passengers and impound them.
Oyeyemi added that erring drivers and riders would be prosecuted, saying the police were worried about the disobedience to the directive on the compulsory use of face mask in public spaces.
“The command observed that commercial vehicles and motorcycles are still in the habit of overloading their vehicles with passengers thereby disobeying the directive on social/physical distancing which is capable of jeopardising the efforts of the government in the war against COVID-19 pandemic,” the statement said.
On his part, the Commissioner of Police in Ogun, Kenneth Ebrimson, urged the residents to comply with the directives.
He warned that anyone caught moving around without face masks would be apprehended and dealt with in accordance with the law.
Ebrimson sought the cooperation of the residents with the government to fight the COVID-19 pandemic to stand still.
The Lagos State Police Command has relocated some checkpoints to more specious and conducive locations in the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer in Lagos, Bala Elkana, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday.
He explained that this followed the visit of the Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, and other senior police officers to different police checkpoints on Monday to monitor compliance with the curfew order.
Elkana noted that the team noticed that some essential service workers were trapped in the gridlock due to thorough checks, especially on trucks likely to have large number of persons concealed for inter-state travels.
According to him, the new locations have U-turns very close to easily turn back vehicles that are not on essential duties and paving way for essential service workers to easily move.
The command’s spokesman added that the team also moved round on Tuesday to monitor the situation, saying the police commissioner commended the level of compliance with the curfew order by residents.
In a related development, he said the Commissioners of Police in Lagos and Ogun States visited some checkpoints in boundary communities, to replicate the measures adopted for easy movements of essential service workers.
Elkana stressed that security was tightened around the boundary communities to prevent non-essential inter-state movements.
Part of the statement read,
According to Presidential guidelines issued, essential service workers include hospitals and all related medical establishments as well as organizations in health care-related manufacturing and distribution.
Commercial establishments such as: (a) food processing, distribution and retail companies; (b) petroleum distribution and retail entities; (c) power generation, transmission and distribution companies; and (d) private security companies are also exempted. Although these establishments are exempted, access will be restricted and monitored.
Workers in telecommunication companies, broadcasters, print and electronic media staff who can prove they are unable to work from home are also exempted.
The Ogun State Government has denied the video of a 25-year old young man who purportedly died at an isolation centre in the state.
In a statement on Monday, the Commissioner for Health in Ogun, Dr Tomi Coker, condemned the reckless act of filming a dying patient.
She, however, stressed that there was no 25-year-old male admitted into any of the isolation centres in the state.
Coker added that the arrangement in the state wards was spacious enough to meet the social distancing regulation stipulated by the World Health Organisation (WHO), contrary to the space displayed in the said video.
She explained that the logo of a commercial bank on the cabinet showing that it was donated by the said bank was proof that the place in question was not in Ogun State.
The commissioner insisted that no single COVID-19 relief item was donated to the state by the bank, adding that the inscription on the wall of the background does not tally with any of the numerous encouraging wall inscriptions in Ogun State wards.
She said none of the isolation centres in Ogun was painted in the colour shown in the footage and described the action as disheartening.
“It is unfortunate that anyone would take delight in filming a dying patient rather than assist as the footage suggests,” Coker stated.
She also condemned another picture showing health workers in the state wearing bin bags as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
“All our health facilities are provided with appropriate PPE,” said the commissioner who assured the health workers that their well-being and safety remain a priority to the Dapo Abiodun administration.
The Ogun State Police Command has arrested a 28-year-old man for allegedly raping, stealing, and attempting to murder a teenager.
Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi, the Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun, revealed in a statement that Godday Robinson was apprehended on Friday last week, following a report that a young lady was lying unconscious in a 10-feet deep pit at a nearby bush in the Agbara area of the state.
“Upon the report by the good Samaritan, the area Commander Agbara detailed his men to the scene where the young lady was rescued with the help of members of the public and she was quickly taken to a hospital.
“Having regained her consciousness, the victim explained to the police that on April 22, while she was coming from night duty which she performed in the company where she works, the suspect who has been making advances to her before accosted her, capitalised on the isolated nature of the area and dragged her into the bush where he forcefully raped her, dispossessed her of her Galaxy Samsung phone valued at N85,000and then strangled her until she passed out momentarily,” the statement read.
According to Oyeyemi, the suspect dragged the victim further into the bush and dumped her in the pit, having believed that she is dead.
He added that the 17-year-old came back to life and started shouting for help, after which the police area commander gave a matching order to detectives that the suspect must be traced and apprehended.
The command’s spokesman stated that the detectives swung to action immediately, traced the suspect, and got him arrested.
On interrogation, he said Robinson made a confessional statement and owned up to committing the crime but blamed it on the devil.
“Meanwhile the Commissioner of Police, Kenneth Ebrimson, has ordered the immediate transfer of the suspect to State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department for further investigation and diligent prosecution,” the statement added.
The police have called on the residents of Ogun State not to panic following the report of pockets of violence reported in parts of the state amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown.
Mr Abimbola Oyeyemi, the Police Public Relations Officer in Ogun, made the call in a statement on Friday, in reaction to a letter by a group of young boys who threatened to attack communities in the state.
He explained that the police reaction was not to dignify the letter by the ‘One Million Boys’ group which he described as faceless, but to allay the fear of the residents.
“The command is not perturbed by the mischievous letter because we have what it takes to deal decisively with any criminal gang who may want to infiltrate the state under any guise or nomenclature,” said the spokesman for the Ogun State Police Command.
He noted that since the commencement of the lockdown ordered by the Federal Government, the command was aware that some hoodlums might want to take advantage of the situation to perpetrate one crime or the other.
According to the command’s spokesman, this informed the decision of the Commissioner of Police, CP Kenneth Ebrimson, to take proactive steps to forestall such an incident.
He disclosed that Ebrimson activated all the command’s tactical squads such as SARS, anti-kidnapping unit, anti-cultists unit, PMF, as well as other conventional policemen.
Oyeyemi stated that the teams have been put on red alert with the mandate to deal ruthlessly with anyone or group with the intent to make life difficult for the residents.
“The command, therefore, wishes to assure the good people of the Gateway State not to panic or be unnecessarily apprehensive as the Command will not allow any hoodlums to fester or hibernate in the state,” he said.
The command spokesman also warned those who sponsor fake news to cause fear in the minds of the people to desist, stressing that the command would start tracing the source of such reports.
The statement read further:
Also, the Commissioner of Police is using this medium to send a note of warning to those who have formed the habit of taking laws into their hands by embarking on jungle justice to deal with suspected criminals, adding that anybody caught in such act will be seriously dealt with.
A case study at hand is that of four innocent young men that were mistaken for armed robbers who were arrested, beaten, and tied both hands and leg by members of the public at the Oke Ata area of Abeokuta on Thursday 23rd of April 2020.
Save for the quick intervention of policemen attached to the state task force, the four young men would have been beaten to death.
The commissioner of police has ordered a full-scale investigation into the circumstances surrounding the inhuman treatment meted on these young men with a view to bringing those involved to justice.
The outcome of the investigation, the Commissioner assured will be made known to members of the public.