The Osun State governor, Rauf Aregbesola on Tuesday approved the reconstitution of the Council of the University of Osun (UNIOSUN).
In a press statement issued by Sunday Akere, the Commissioner for Information and Strategy in Osogbo, the seven-member council is to be Chaired by Professor G.A Olawoyin.
Other members of the council are Remi Olowude, Professor Akinyinka Omigbodun, Professor G.A. Adegboyega, Professor Obafemi Ajibola, Sir Ademola Aladekomo and Dr. Abeke Omotosho.
The Statutory members of the Governing Council are the Vice-Chancellor, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and four representatives of the University’s Senate.
The Members of the Governing Council also included one representative of the university alumni, one representative of the National Universities Commission (NUC), Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
The current Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Professor Ganiyu Olatunde was also appointed as the acting Vice Chancellor to replace Professor Sola Akinrinade.
Mr Akere said the appointment of the seven members of the Council will be for four years while the statutory members will vacate their membership as soon as they leave their positions.
The State Security Service has arrested seven individuals suspected to have a hand in the kidnapping of United Arab Emirates national, Mohammed Khamis Ali, who was released from captivity on March 19 after being held for 60 days.
The SSS said on Thursday that the seven-man gang had lured the Emirati business man into Nigeria on 20 January, under the hoax of a business deal in the nation’s commercial hub of Lagos. He had been seized and held prisoner in a remote locale near Osun state.
“(Al Ali) was lured to visit Nigeria for a phantom business transaction by a fake company, Finuche Investments, was abducted by a kidnap syndicate and held hostage for about 60 days,” SSS spokeswoman Marilyn Ogar told reporters.
Kidnapping has become a major enterprise in Africa’s most populous nation, with the vast majority of the victims being Nigerian, but in recent months, a number of foreigners have been abducted, including the British and Italian nationals that were abducted and killed shortly before a failed rescue operation by British and Nigerian forces.
Ogar reporters that while the seven gang members, who had been tasked to guard al Ali during his captivity, are now in their custody, the masterminds of the attack still remain at large.
She addressed reporters, with the suspects behind her as she spoke. The suspects claimed that they had released the Emirati after it had become apparent that their bosses were no longer contacting them with further instructions on what to do with their victim.
Neither Ogar nor the suspects mentioned payment of a ransom.
The SSS spokesman said the seven suspected kidnappers will be charged to court while investigations continue in order to fish out the kidnapping mastermind.
An Osogbo Senior Magistrate Court has arraigned a 40-year old man who is charged with the attempted rape of a woman in Osun State.
Kazeem Baruwa had allegedly attempted sexual assault on Sunday morning, tearing off the undergarments of his victim, according to Police prosecutor Joshua Oladoye. The prosecutor told the court that the accused had pushed the woman to the floor and had exerted force, news agencies reported.
Oladoye said Baruwa, who is faced with a three-count charge, had acted “in a manner likely to cause a breach of peace by unlawfully entering into the apartment of the complainant without her consent”.
The accused man has pleaded not guilty to the charges and his representation, Mr. Adeyemi Adedeji made a verbal request that his client be released on bail, arguing that he was allowed bail given the allegations levelled against.
Senior Magistrate Olalekan Ijiyode granted the accused bail in the sum of N100,000 and also demanded that he provide two sureties in like sum.
A collision between two inter-state passenger buses at Ife-Ilesha junction in Osun State on Monday morning left at least three persons dead, reports said.
The accident is the latest in a series of deadly collisions in Nigeria. Spokesman for the Federal Road Safety Commission, Mr. Bisi Kazeem, offered no further details on the accident; however eye witnesses confirmed the death toll, adding that three other passengers sustained injuries from the accident.
A Twitter blogger @mentain77 posted a photograph reportedly taken at the scene of the accident.
The photograph taken from inside a car showed two white buses, partially burnt as a result of the head on collision. Fire fighters could be seen at the scene of the accident.