Atiku Is Destined Never To Be President Of Nigeria – Oshiomhole

Court Adjourns Hearing Of Oshiomhole’s Committal Case Till March 20
A file photo of APC National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole.

 

The National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) says the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the just concluded election was never destined to be Nigeria’s President.

He stated this on Thursday during a press conference in Abuja, the nation’s capital.

Oshiomhole was reacting to an earlier comment made by Atiku where he stated that the nation’s future rests with his presidency.

“But I think it also borders on arrogance. For Atiku Abubakar to suggest that our future is tied to his presidency. Atiku is destined never to be President of Nigeria,” Oshiomhole said.

He also accused Atiku of decamping from one political party to another all in a desperate bid to become the nation’s President.

READ ALSO: This Is The Worst Election In 30 Years, Says Atiku

According to Oshiomhole, Atiku’s alleged desperation created a conflict with former President Olusegun Obasanjo when he was Vice President.

“Atiku’s desperation is so obvious. He is so desperate that in 2003, he challenged his own boss, President Olusegun Obasanjo not to do a second term.

“He decamped to join (the defunct) Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN). I was in ACN then, we offered him the ticket and he lost the election and returned to PDP.

“He contested again and lost the nomination and because he has only his interest at heart, he decamped again from PDP and returned to APC.

“He joined us in Lagos and rolled out the dollars, but we voted for Buhari as our candidate. He knew that he cannot defeat Buhari in the primary and went back to the PDP.

“Does he think that Nigerians are so insane as to think that a man who is not stable and whose interest is about himself will be a possible candidate to be elected at a time like this?” he questioned.

Oshiomhole’s comments come a day after Atiku addressed a world press conference rejecting the result of the presidential election result announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

In the keenly contested race, INEC declared APC candidate, Muhammadu Buhari winner of the election after polling a total of 15,191,847 to defeat his closest rival and the PDP candidate, Atiku, who polled 11,262,978.

Senegal To Release Presidential Election Result On Thursday

Two men look at newspaper front pages hung on a rope in Fann Hock neighbourhood, in Dakar, on February 25, 2019, one day after Senegal’s presidential elections.  SEYLLOU / AFP

 

The results of Senegal’s presidential election will be released Thursday, a source at the official body handling the count said.

The provisional results will be released at 11:00 am (1100 GMT), the source at the National Vote Counting Commission, known as CNRV, said Wednesday, confirming a report by the Senegalese Press Agency (APS).

Since Tuesday, the CNRV, led by a magistrate, has been examining the tallies sent to the 45 departmental committees across the country and the count for Senegalese voting abroad.

Media reports Tuesday based on tallies of the regional results — with 90 percent of votes counted — suggested that President Macky Sall was poised to return to power after Sunday’s election.

READ ALSO: Algeria Students Protest Against President Bouteflika Fifth Term

According to those figures, Sall was set to win without needing a second-round run-off because he was already comfortably over the 50-percent total required for a definitive, first-round victory.

His nearest rival was former prime minister Idrissa Seck, according to the media reports.

A number of the other presidential candidates have insisted that a second-round run-off would be inevitable.

The head of the European Union observer group said Tuesday that while the vote had been “calm and transparent” it had taken place “in a climate characterised by a lack of trust and blocked dialogue”.

A source close to the interior ministry said that turnout was higher than 66 percent.

AFP

Delay Release Of Election Results, AU Urges Congo

African Union (AU) Chairperson and Rwanda’s President Paul Kagame (R) speaks with African leaders on DR Congo election at the AU headquarters in Addis Ababa, on January 17, 2019. EDUARDO SOTERAS / AFP

 

The African Union called Thursday for the final announcement of last month’s disputed presidential elections in the Democratic Republic of Congo to be suspended due to “serious doubts”.

Meeting in Ethiopia, the AU agreed to urgently send “a high-level delegation” to Kinshasa in a bid to find a way out of the political crisis.

“The Heads of State and Government attending the meeting concluded that there were serious doubts on the conformity of the provisional results, as proclaimed by the National Independent Electoral Commission, with the votes cast,” the AU said in a statement.

As a result, it has “called for the suspension of the proclamation of the final results of the elections”.

The provisional results of the long-awaited election announced last week are being challenged in court, in a country that has never known a peaceful transfer of power since gaining independence from Belgium in 1960.

The electoral commission last Thursday declared opposition leader Felix Tshisekedi the winner of the December 30 vote with 38.57 percent of the tally against chief rival Martin Fayulu’s 34.8 percent.

Fayulu who launched the court action said it was an “electoral coup” forged in backroom dealings between Tshisekedi and outgoing President Joseph Kabila, who has been in power since 2001.

“Even if the situation on the ground has been fortunately calm so far, it obviously remains a cause for concern,” AU chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat told African leaders including from South Africa, Zambia and the Republic of Congo gathered to discuss the vote dispute at AU headquarters in Ethiopia.

Earlier this week, the Southern African Development Community (SADC), a bloc that includes Angola and South Africa, called for a recount of the vote and a unity government in DR Congo.

But in a communique issued on Thursday, SADC made no mention of those demands, instead calling on Congolese politicians to “address any electoral grievances in line with the Democratic Republic of Congo’s Constitution and relevant electoral laws”.

It also asked the international community to respect the DR Congo’s “sovereignty” and “territorial integrity”.

The vote dispute has raised fears that the country’s political crisis, which erupted two years ago when Kabila refused to step down at the end of his constitutional term in office, could worsen.

The vast and chronically unstable country became a battlefield for two regional wars in 1996-97 and 1998-2003, and the last two presidential elections, in 2006 and 2011, were marked by bloody clashes.

The country’s top court is due to rule on the court action later this month.

AFP