Troops Kill Seven Boko Haram Fighters In Borno Village

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ

 

Troops of 22 Brigade, 7 Division of the Nigerian Army have killed seven Boko Haram terrorists in Gulwa area of Borno State.

A statement by the acting Director Army Public Relations, Colonel Sagir Musa, on Friday, said that the terrorists exchanged fire with the troops and some members of Civilian JTF during a clearance operation on the deserted Fuye and Melere villages.

“Troops of 22 Brigade, 7 Division Nigerian Army on Operation HARD STRIKE in collaboration with some members of Civilian JTF, conducted a clearance operation on Thursday the 10th of May 2019 along the deserted Fuye and Melere villages of Borno State where they had contact and serious battle with some Boko Haram terrorists at Gulwa.

“There was no casualty on the part of the NA Soldiers or Civilian JTF.”

READ ALSO: Police Arrests 157 Kidnappers, 218 Armed Robbery Suspects Within One Month – IGP

The Army spokesman also confirmed that the troops recovered seven weapons from the killed terrorists.

“The exchange of fire resulted in the extermination of 7 terrorists and recovery of 7 Rifles (6 x AK 47 and 1 x FN Rifle).”

The statement added that the Soldiers or Civilian JTF recorded no casualty and the Army will not relent in its commitment to end Boko Haram terrorism in the country.

Soldiers kill 50 Boko Haram Members

The Nigerian Army says that it has tracked down and killed 50 members of  the Boko Haram, days after the Islamic Sect was blamed for killing 20 villagers in its northeastern stronghold.

The JTF spokesman LT Colonel Sagir Musa explains that troops pursued the terrorists to their camps and with air support about 50 terrorists were killed in a shoot-out.

Colonel Musa added that troops are pursuing the remnants of the fleeing terrorists by blocking all possible exit routes.

More than 160 people were killed in violence linked to Boko Haram last month – one of the bloodiest since President Goodluck Jonathan declared a state of emergency and a military crackdown in three northeastern states in May.

A new Army division was sent to Borno last month.

JTF Imposes 24-Hour Curfew In Parts Of Maiduguri Metropolis

In order to sustain special operations in the face of the recent Boko Haram attack in some areas in the Maiduguri metropolis, the Military Joint Task Force (JTF) in Borno State has imposed an indefinite 24-hour curfew in 12 wards of Maiduguri metropolis, according to a statement issued today by the spokesman of the JTF; Lieutenant Sagir Musa.

The affected wards are:  Gamboru, Mairi Kuwait, Bakin Kogi, Kasuwan Shanu, Ruwan Zafi, 202 Quarters, Dikwa Quarters, Low-cost Sinimari, 505 Housing Estate, Chad Basin Area, 303 Housing Estate and Baga road.

Lieutenant Sagir Musa further appealed to the public to continue to cooperate with the security agencies by providing credible and timely information which can assist in bringing lasting peace to the state and the country at large.

The imposition of the 24- hour curfew comes five days after the president Dr Good luck Jonathan declared state of emergency in three north-east states of the country.

Since the declaration, the troops has made sure that the sect members have no resting place as they have been forced to abandon their hideouts located in some forest areas in Gwoza, Bama and other areas of Borno and the other two states.

Nigeria Army Backs Amnesty For Boko Haram

The Nigerian Army has thrown its weight behind the federal government’s proposed amnesty for the Boko Haram insurgents.

Chief of Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Oluseyi Petinrin addresses JSTF counterinsurgency troops.

The Director of Army Public Relations; Brigadier General Ibrahim Attahiru told journalists at a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday, that exploring amnesty option, does not undermine the competence of the military.

He disagreed with insinuations that amnesty is sort as government’s last resort because of  unsuccessful security operations.

Brigadier General Attahiru said quick response patrol groups have been deployed to patrol designated areas nationwide, establish military presence along the highways while assuring Nigerians of the Army’s commitment to fighting terrorism in the country.

Jonathan Deplores Bama Attack, Warns Boko Haram Not To Take Amnesty Offer For Weakness

President Goodluck Jonathan has deplored Tuesday’s attack by armed terrorists on Bama, in Borno State which claimed scores of lives.

The Special Adviser to the President Media and Publicity; Dr Reuben Abati, in a statement noted that “President Jonathan believes that the continuation of such callous and wanton attacks of innocent Nigerians, government facilities and security formations flies in the face of on-going efforts to establish a workable framework for dialogue and the peaceful resolution of security challenges in Northern Nigeria.”

The President warned that the Federal Government’s consideration of dialogue as an option for the elimination of some current threats to security should not be seen as a weakening of its resolve and determination to use all the forces at its disposal to crush all brazen affronts to the powers and sovereignty of the Nigerian nation.

Suspected members of Boko Haram raided the north-eastern town of Bama on Tuesday, killing 55 people. The gunmen killed 22 police officers, 14 prison officials, two soldiers and four civilians, while 13 of the group’s members died the spokesman for the Military Joint Task Force (JTF), Sagir Musa claimed.

President Jonathan extended sincere condolences to the families and colleagues of the soldiers, policemen and prison officials who lost their lives in the dastardly attack.

He urged the armed forces and police not to be disheartened or daunted by the loss of their colleagues, but to remain focused and undeterred in discharging their responsibility for the security of lives and property in all parts of Nigeria.

He also gave the assurance that the Federal Government will continue to give the Armed Forces and Police the fullest possible support to enhance their ability to meet the continuing challenges of terrorism and insurgency.

President Jonathan also commiserated with the families of the innocent civilians who were either killed or injured in Tuesday’s attack in Bama.

Explosion Kills One JTF Operative, Injures Two In Maiduguri

An Improvised Explosive Device (IED) suspected to have been planted by the dreaded sect, Boko Haram has torn a military Joint Task Force (JTF) vehicle apart killing at least one and injuring two JTF personnel in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.

This attack is coming barely 24 hours after attacks on some Primary and secondary schools in Maiduguri by suspected members of the Boko Haram group.

An eye witness said the blast hit the patrol vehicle of the JTF, while driving around the First Bank roundabout at noon before other soldiers and policemen rushed to the scene to evacuate the casualties.

The eye witness told Channels Television that the blast ripped the vehicle into pieces, while passers-by scampered for safety.

Five minutes after the blast, the entire roundabout was cordoned off by the JTF for almost three hours as Vehicles and pedestrians were redirected to the Post Office road and the Government Reservation Areas (GRA) roads.

Confirming the incident the spokesman of the JTF, Lt. Col Sagir Musa in a statement said that Boko Haram terrorists planted a remote control Improvised Explosive Device (IED) targeting the JTF patrol vehicles which exploded at the said round about in Maiduguri metropolis.

The blast which occurred around 12:15pm according to him led to the death of one soldier while two others were wounded.

The statement said a Toyota Hilux vehicle and a Civil Honda Accord car were damaged as no civilian casualty was recorded.

The statement further said the area was cordoned off and swept by the Bomb Disposal unit of the JTF to avoid possible further explosion of undetonated bombs on innocent civilians.

Meanwhile ten suspected members of the radical terrorists were arrested in connection with the incident.

Nigerian Troops Surround French Family’s Kidnappers- Source

Nigerian security forces surrounded the kidnappers of a French family in Northeast Borno state on Thursday in an operation to rescue the hostages, a Nigerian military source said.

French, Nigerian and Cameroonian officials earlier denied French media reports that the family, who were seized in Cameroon and taken over the border, had been freed.

The Nigerian military located the hostages and kidnappers between Dikwa and Ngala in the far northeast, the military source in Borno said, asking not to be identified.

Dikwa is less than 80 km (50 miles) from the border with Cameroon where the three adults and four children were taken hostage on Tuesday.

A senior Cameroonian military official declined to comment saying the matter was too sensitive.

Citing a Cameroon army officer, French media reported earlier on Thursday that the hostages had been found alive in a house in northern Nigeria.

“This is a crazy rumour that we cannot confirm. We do not know where is it coming from,” Cameroon Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary told Reuters by telephone from the capital Yaounde.

“What is certain is that the French tourists who were abducted are no longer on our territory. However, we are in touch with the Government of Nigeria to intensify measures to continue the search for them along our common border,” he said.

French gendarmes backed by special forces arrived in northern Cameroon on Wednesday to help locate the family, a local governor and French defence ministry official said.

Nigerian military spokesman Sagir Musa earlier also said the report on France’s BFM television of the hostages being released was “not true,” while Didier Le Bret, the head of the French foreign ministry’s crisis centre, said the information was “baseless.”

The abduction was the first case of foreigners being seized in the mostly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.

But the region – like others in West and North Africa with porous borders – is considered within the operational sphere of Boko Haram and fellow Nigerian Islamist militants Ansaru.

On Sunday, seven foreigners were snatched from the compound of Lebanese construction company Setraco in northern Nigeria’s Bauchi state, and Ansaru took responsibility.

Northern Nigeria is increasingly afflicted by attacks and kidnappings by Islamist militants. Ansaru, which rose to prominence only in recent months, has claimed the abduction in December of a French national who is still missing.

Three foreigners were killed in two failed rescue attempts last year after being kidnapped in northern Nigeria and Ansaru, blamed for those kidnaps, warned this could happen again.

The threat to French nationals in the region has grown since France deployed thousands of troops to Mali to oust al Qaeda-linked Islamists who controlled the country’s north.

The kidnapping in Cameroon brought to 15 the number of French citizens being held in West Africa.

Cameroon, Nigeria officials Deny French Hostages Freed

Reports that seven French hostages kidnapped in Cameroon were found alive and safe in a house in northern Nigeria on Thursday are false, a Nigerian military spokesman said.

“It’s not true,” said Sagir Musa, spokesman for the military Joint Task Force in Borno state, where the hostages were reported to have been released.

The fate of seven French tourists seized in Cameroon by suspected Nigerian Islamist militants was unclear on Thursday after government officials denied French media reports that they had been freed.

The hostages, four children and three adults, were captured this week while on an excursion to the Waza national park near Cameroon’s border with Nigeria.

Several French media reported earlier on Thursday that the hostages had been found alive in a house in northern Nigeria and freed.

“The hostages are safe and sound and are in the hands of Nigerian authorities,” BFMTV quoted a Cameroon army officer as saying.

“This is a crazy rumour that we cannot confirm. We do not know where is it coming from,” Cameroon Communications Minister Issa Tchiroma Bakary said by telephone from the capital Yaounde.

Sagir Musa, a spokesman for Nigeria’s military, told Reuters the report was “not true.”

Kader Arif, France’s minister for veterans’ affairs, told parliament on Thursday that the seven hostages had been released but retracted his statement minutes later, saying he had been quoting media reports and there was no official confirmation.

It was the first case of foreigners being seized by suspected Islamist militants in the mainly Muslim north of Cameroon, a former French colony.

The region is seen as being within the operational sphere of Nigerian sect Boko Haram and another Islamist militant group, Ansaru.

The threat to French nationals in the region has grown since France deployed thousands of troops to nearby Mali to root out al Qaeda-linked Islamists who took control of the country’s north last year.

The kidnapping in Cameroon brought to 15 the number of French citizens being held in West Africa.

French diplomatic sources said the government would not confirm the hostages had been released until it had physical proof, or until they were in French hands.

Explosion Kills Two In Borno

Two suspected suicide bombers have died after detonating an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in Borno state, north east Nigeria.

The explosion was targeted at a Joint Task Force (JFT) patrol vehicle, stationed at Gamboru Market, Maiduguri the state capital.

One of the soldiers was wounded in the attack.

According to the JFT spokesman, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa, the explosive contained acid and highly flammable substances.

Musa also confirmed the that there was no civilian casualty during the attack.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack but Musa, in a telephone interview with Channels Television, said it has the imprimatur of the dreaded Islamic sect, Boko Haram.

 

Unidentified Gunmen Kill Eight In Borno

The Joint Military Task Force (JTF) in Borno State has confirmed the killing of eight persons by unknown persons in Gajigana Town over the weekend.

Spokesman of the JTF Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said that the attack occurred Sunday in the village of Gajiganna, but declined to comment on the manner in which the people were killed, saying only that “lives were lost.”

There were conflicting reports from the area, with some saying certain victims were shot and others had their throats slit, while others spoke of all eight with their throats slit.

“I saw eight bodies afterwards – three of young men, and another five who were heads of households” A resident Modu Bukar told Reuters, adding that he did not know who was behind it. “The burial is today.” he added.

Gajiganna is about 50 kilo metres from Maiduguri, the state capital. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

 

Seven Killed In Boko Haram Gun Duel With JTF

Seven people have been confirmed dead in a gun battle between the Joint Task Force and members of the radical Islamic sect, Boko Haram in  Marte, Marte Local Government area of the state.

A statement signed by the JTF spokesman in Borno state, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa revealed that the unknown gun men yesterday attacked the 21 Brigade troops located in Marte North of Maiduguri the Borno state capital.

The statement said the encounter led to the death of one soldier and a police personnel.

According to the statement, no civilian casualty was recorded during the gun battle which started around 2:00 PM.

Items recovered include; 2 AK 47, one locally made double barrel gun and four machetes.

Gunmen kill retired army general in Maiduguri

The joint Task force (JTF) in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital has confirmed that some unknown gunmen have killed Maj. Gen Mamman Shuwa (Rtd) at his Gwange residence in Maiduguri metropolis.

A statement issued by the spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa said the retired general was killed along with one of his guests.

The guest according to the statement died on the spot while the general died on his way to the hospital.

The JTF cordoned off the area in search of the perpetrators of the act and called for the cooperation of the people.

This incident is happening barely 24 hours after the Boko Haram sect outlined three conditions to the federal government towards a ceasefire over killings that has claimed several lives across northern part of the country.