PHOTOS: Freed Zamfara Schoolgirls Arrive In Govt House

 

The freed Zamfara Schoolgirls have arrived at the State Government House in the capital city, Gusau.

They arrived there in the early hours of Tuesday, wearing face masks and light blue and brown chadors.

Shortly after, they had breakfast and are now scheduled to visit the hospital for checks before a reunion with their families.

317 of the girls were said to have been abducted last Friday from their boarding school, the Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

 

 

Read Also: Tuesday Update: Vaccine Arrival & Fuel Queues In Abuja

The Governor, Bello Matawalle, however, put the number of abducted and recovered schoolgirls at 279.

Seven of the girls had earlier escaped their captors.

Governor Matawalle said the 279 were released with the help of repentant bandits without any ransom paid.

Their abduction is the latest in a series of increasing abductions witnessed in the country within the last three months.

 

Abducted Zamfara Schoolgirls Regain Freedom

Schoolgirls kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State last Friday have regained their freedom.

Zamfara State Governor, Bello Matawalle, who confirmed the news on Tuesday, said the girls were released with the help of repentant bandits without any ransom paid.

The Governor put the number of girls recovered at 279, although the police had earlier said 317 girls were kidnapped.

The released girls arrived at the Zamfara State Government House in Gusau early on Tuesday wearing face masks and light blue and brown chadors. They had breakfast and were scheduled to visit the hospital for checks before a reunion with their families.

The girls’ kidnapping on Friday was the latest in a series of school abductions that has rocked the country in the past three months.

“I am very exhausted and very devastated,” Governor Matwalle told reporters on Tuesday, “but I thank God that with the prayers of Nigerians we are able to secure their release.”

He said his government will continue to negotiate with bandits – some who may have been involved in the abduction – and convince them to accept a peace deal. “We want to bring everybody on board,” he said.

Governor Matawalle also noted that the released girls will undergo counseling.

Zamfara Abduction: Parents Set Up Camp In School Premises, Say They Are Counting On Government

More than 300 students were kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State on February 26, 2021.
More than 300 students were kidnapped from Government Girls Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara State on February 26, 2021.

 

The parents of the students of Government Girls Junior Secondary School, Jangebe in Zamfara State have set up a camp within the school premises in anticipation of the release of their abducted children.

The schoolgirls were abducted from the school in the early hours of Friday.

Although it is yet to be confirmed whether the government is in contact with the abductors, the parents said they are counting on the State Government and security operatives for the successful rescue of their girls.

One of the parents, Shitu Habibu Jangebe, who spoke to our correspondent over the phone, said they have been in the school since Saturday morning and will not leave until they hear the good news.

“Although we have seen a number of trucks going into the bush, we don’t know what for because no one is telling us anything. But we have hope the trucks may be used to bring back our children,” the parent said.

READ ALSO: Police Deploy Surveillance Helicopters To Gusau 

Also, a top government official craving anonymity told Channels Television that significant progress is being made in securing the girls’ freedom. “I can assure you these girls will soon be rescued,” the official said.

Earlier, the State Police Command had dispatched two surveillance helicopters to reinforce ground troops around the suspected areas where the girls are possibly being held.

Special forces from the Inspector General of Police and men of Operation Puff Adder are involved in the rescue operation.

Ganduje Orders Closure Of Four Tertiary Institutions In Kano

FILE: Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje speaks during the State Executive Council meeting at the Government House on October 6, 2020.

 

Kano State Governor, Abdullahi Ganduje on Saturday ordered the closure of four tertiary institutions in the state.

On Friday Ganduje had ordered the closure of ten boarding schools in the state.

The closures were preceded by the abduction of over 300 schoolgirls in neighbouring Zamfara State.

“The Kano State Government under the able leadership of His Excellency, the Executive Governor of Kano State, Dr. Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has directed the closure of some tertiary institutions in the state with immediate effect,” a statement signed by the State Commissioner for Higher Education Dr. Mariya Mahmoud Bunkure, said.

The schools involved are RMK College of Advanced and Remedial Studies, T/Wada; School of Environmental Studies Gwarzo; School of Rural Technology and Entrepreneurship Dev (SORTED), Rano and ABCOAD, Dambatta.

All students of the affected schools were also advised to vacate the campuses as soon as possible.

Dr. Bunkure said the date for school re-opening will be communicated later, noting that all inconveniences are regretted.

‘State Police Is Now A Necessity’: Atiku Reacts To Zamfara School Abduction

A file photo of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar. Photo: Channels TV/ Sodiq Adelakun.

 

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has decried the Friday abduction of over 300 girls from Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara State.

According to a statement released by the former Presidential aspirant, the attack has now proven the necessity of states to have the powers to provide security of life and property in their domain.

“My heart is very heavy over the abduction of our young daughters from Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara State,” Atiku said.

“I have had a phone conversation with the Governor of Zamfara, H.E Bello Matawalle, and I am informed that his government is doing everything in its power to secure the release of the abducted students.

“I have previously made recommendations on how our beloved nation can defeat enemies of the state and win the war on terror, and I stand by those suggestions.

“However, right now, all hands must be on deck to support the Zamfara state government in securing the release of those abducted.

“The Federal Government cannot expect the states to provide security of life and property in their domain, without giving them control over internal security. This is now a necessity.”

He went on to call on the lawmakers across the country to commence the process of ceding policing powers to the States.

“Thus, I call on the National and State Assemblies to begin the process of constitutional and legal reforms that will make this a reality,” he said. “The Legislature must take the lead, as it seems the Executive may not be able to provide the needed leadership on this issue.

“My heart goes out to the families of the abducted children, and my right hand of fellowship is extended to Governor Matawalle, to help in any way possible.”