“Where you are dealing with a country where 40% of the population is living in extreme poverty or 1 out of every 6 children in the world are out of school in this country, you cannot fix this problem without having a leadership that understands what development is,” the ex-CBN governor said.
“Where are we spending our money? Does the Nigerian state even consider development as a critical priority? Forget the noise; where are we spending our money?
“We spend more money on debt service, fuel subsidy, overheads, and the National Assembly than on education. We’re spending less money on education and healthcare than countries like Ghana are spending. We’re spending less money on R&D than countries like Kenya and Rwanda,” he added.
According to him, if Nigeria does not understand that development is about human beings, everything will fall by the wayside.
“So, the biggest accelerator is political; having a political leadership that understands that the state should be a developmental state and not a populist state,” he explained.
As part of activities to conclude the 2020 recruitment exercise for 10,000 general duty police constables into the Nigeria Police Force, the Akwa Ibom State Police Command has announced a schedule for a computer-based test for successful candidates.
The Computer Based Test (CBT) which will be conducted by the West African Examination Council (WAEC) is slated for the 29th and 30th of October, 2021 at the Gestric Infotech and Management Institute, from 10:00 am.
This was disclosed in a statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, Akwa Ibom State Police command, SP Odiko MacDon on Tuesday.
The statement further noted that all candidates are required to appear in clean white T-shirt, white shorts, and white canvas, warning that electronic gadgets are not allowed during the exam.
“All candidates are required to appear in clean white T-shirt, white shorts, and white canvas. Electronic gadgets are not allowed during the exam.
“The Commissioner of Police Akwa Ibom State Command, CP Amiengheme Andrew, Psc (+), fdc has called on candidates to conduct themselves in an orderly manner during the exercise, while warning those who have no business with the said examination to keep off the venue or have the law to contend with,” the statement read.
The Acting National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Yemi Akinwonmi, has said that no amount of threat from anyone will cause the party to stop its planned National Convention on October 30 and 31.
Akinwonmi said this on Monday in reaction to a letter by the lawyer to the embattled party Chairman, Prince Uche Secondus.
“The letter you are referring to, I’ve not seen it, but I can answer your question without seeing the letter, he said, adding: “the convention is a property of the PDP. We have been planning for it and we have almost gotten to the peak of it now.
“No individual can stop it. We will resist it; it will be resisted by the PDP as a body so, no amount of threat can make us make a u-turn,” Akinwonmi said.
The letter stated in part that: “pending the determination of the appeal filed by Prince Uche Secondus, (seeking to restrain the holding of its national convention), the PDP would be embarking upon a collision cause with the court if it proceeds to hold the convention before the hearing and determination of the application”.
Akinwonmi had been appointed as the acting National Chairman of the party in September since a court order restrained Uche Secondus from the role over allegations of poor leadership.
However, a Court of Appeal sitting in Port Harcourt on Tuesday (October 26) dismissed an application challenging the suspension of Mr Secondus.
A panel of three justices led by Justice Haruna Tsammani struck out the suit during its sitting in the Rivers State capital.
The PDP had filed the application at the appellate court to test the validity of Secondus’ suspension from the party.
But during proceedings, the new counsel to the party, Sunday Ameh, told the court that upon going through the processes, he did not find the need to continue with the application.
Meanwhile, the court has adjourned the argument on the application seeking to stop the PDP from conducting its National Convention this weekend.
The argument on the application was adjourned till 12:00 pm on Thursday following an application for joinder by interested parties.
Nigeria on Tuesday recorded a sharp decline in COVID-19 cases after the country saw a spike on Monday.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in its daily report on Tuesday said 159 new infections were recorded with no deaths as against the 711 that were recorded the previous day with two deaths.
The 159 new cases spread across 14 states including the FCT (28), Lagos (28), Nasarawa (25), Plateau (24), Kwara (22), Delta (8), Kano (8), Rivers (7), Edo (2), Bauchi (2), Bayelsa (2), Kaduna (1), Sokoto (1) and Taraba (1).
Chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum and Governor of Ekiti State, Kayode Fayemi, says state governments cannot allow arbitrary deductions of funds for the payment of consultants for the Paris Club Refund.
Governor Fayemi stated this while fielding questions from journalists on the sidelines of the 27th Nigerian Economic Summit in Abuja on Tuesday.
The Federal Government plans to begin deduction from the federation account for the payment of $418 million to private consultants who took part in the Paris Club Refund.
This move by the Federal Government is projected to affect the recurrent expenditure of at least 33 states and they may not be able to pay the salaries of their workers.
For this reason, the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum says the state governors are not in support of the decision.
According to him, a situation where the Federal Government makes arbitrary deductions without the input of state governors is wrong.
He says state governors have agreed not to collect any allocation from the Federation Allocation Account (FAAC) until the issues are resolved.
“We are dealing with the issue. we would find a resolution to it. As far as states are concerned, they do not accept that funds belonging to federation account could just be arbitrarily deducted without the input of the states, and that’s why we are insisting that until this is clarified, we would rather leave the money in the pool until we have all agreed on the direction,” Governor Fayemi said.
The trial of a Danish National, Peter Nielsen, who was accused of killing his Nigerian wife Zainab and his three-year-old daughter, Petra, resumed today at the Lagos High Court, sitting at Tafa Balewa Square, on Lagos Island.
The defendant who took the witness box in his own defence told Justice Bolanle Okikolu-Ighile that he did not kill his wife and daughter.
He was giving evidence as the 10th defendant’s witness.
Nielsen was accused of killing his 37-year-old wife, Zainab and his three-year-old daughter, on April 5, 2018.
Led in evidence by his counsel, Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Olasupo Shashore, the defendant narrated how he met the late wife when he came to Nigeria to invest in agriculture.
He said he loved her and they lived a very active and happy life.
“I did not kill my wife and our daughter, Petra, we had a fantastic relationship,” he said.
“Her dedication and perseverance to hard work drew me closer to her and she worked hard to achieve her dreams,” the defendant said.
Nielsen said before he got very close to Zainab, he informed her that he was married in Denmark with two adult children.
“When Zainab became pregnant, her mother (Pastor Ruth Genesis) persuaded me to marry her so she would not have a child outside wedlock,” he told the court.
“I told her I would marry Zainab because of the love I have for her not because of pregnancy.
“On June 21, 2014, we got married at the Ikoyi registry,” Nielsen said.
He also told the court that three prosecution witnesses who gave evidence in court as Zainab’s family members were not present at their wedding.
At this point, the defendant’s counsel, informed the court that he had a piece of evidence he needed to tender before the court.
“I need a couple of days to get the evidence.
“I pray the court for an adjournment to enable me get this piece of evidence”, the lawyer said.
The Prosecutor, a Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Adebayo Haroun, did not object to the adjournment.
Justice Okikolu-Ighile, adjourned the case to November 9 for further hearing.
She said: “The defendant is further remanded at the Ikoyi prison”.
On June 13, 2018, the Lagos State Government had arraigned the 53-year-old Nielsen on two counts of murder.
He, however, pleaded not guilty.
In the counts, he was said to have killed his wife and daughter at about 3:45 am on April 5, 2018, at their Banana Island residence in the Ikoyi area of Lagos.
Before his arraignment, a Chief Magistrate court sitting in the Yaba area had ordered his remand in custody.
The police had told the Magistrate that Neilsen hit his wife’s head against the wall several times, inflicting fatal injuries which led to her death. He was also said to have poisoned his daughter and tried to cover up the murders as a domestic accident.
“He had dragged their bodies under the gas to create the impression that they suffocated to death as a result of a gas leakage,” said CSP Effiong Asuquo.
Until her death, the wife Zainab, was a Nigerian singer popularly known as Alizee.
Nielsen faces a possible death sentence if found guilty of the offences.
Countries’ latest climate plans will deliver just a tiny percentage of the emissions cuts needed to limit global heating to 1.5C, the United Nations said on Tuesday in a damning assessment ahead of the COP26 climate summit.
Just days before the Glasgow meeting, which is being billed as crucial for the long-term viability of the Paris climate deal, the UN’s Environment Programme said that national plans to reduce carbon pollution amounted to “weak promises, not yet delivered”.
In its annual Emissions Gap assessment, UNEP calculates the gulf between the emissions set to be released by countries and the level needed to limit temperature rises to 1.5C — the most ambitious Paris Agreement goal.
The summit’s organisers say they want countries to commit to keeping Earth on course for the 1.5C goal through redoubled pledges to decarbonise their economies.
But according to UNEP, even the most up-to-date and ambitious plans from around 120 countries puts the world on track to warm 2.7C.
UN chief Antonio Guterres said Tuesday’s report showed that the world was “still on track for climate catastrophe”.
“As world leaders prepare for COP26, this report is another thundering wake-up call. How many do we need?”
Under the 2015 Paris deal, signatories are required to submit new emissions-cutting plans — known as Nationally Determined Contributions, or NDCs — every five years, each more ambitious than the last.
UNEP said that most recent commitments would shave 7.5 per cent off previously predicted 2030 emissions levels.
To keep on a 1.5C trajectory, a 55-per cent reduction is needed, it said.
A 30-per cent cut is needed for 2C of warming, a threshold the Paris deal commits nations to keep temperatures “well below”.
“To stand a chance of limiting global warming to 1.5C, we have eight years to almost halve greenhouse gas emissions,” said UNEP Executive Director Inger Andersen.
UNEP said that the Covid-19 pandemic led to an “unprecedented” 5.4-per cent drop in global emissions in 2020.
However, even this was not enough to narrow the gap between humanity’s current emissions trajectory and a 1.5C world.
Putting the challenge into stark perspective, it said that countries needed to slash CO2 and its equivalent in other greenhouse gases by an additional 28 billion tonnes by 2030; carbon dioxide emissions alone are projected to hit 33 billion tonnes in 2021.
Report co-author Anne Ohloff told AFP that it showed there had been “some progress” on emissions since the Paris Agreement.
“The new (NDC) commitments shave off 4 Gigatonnes of CO2 equivalent annually by 2030 compared to the last ones,” she said.
“But it’s far from sufficient, of course. Overall we are very far from where we should be.”
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in August said that Earth could hit the 1.5C threshold as soon as 2030 and be consistently above it by mid-century.
The report on Tuesday said that even if all net-zero pledges were delivered in full, there was a 66-per cent chance that temperature rises could be limited to 2.2C.
“There is no appetite for reducing fossil fuel consumption globally at the rate required to meet our climate goals,” said Myles Allen, professor of Geosystem Science at the University of Oxford.
This year’s Emissions Gap report focused on the role in global heating played by methane, the most potent greenhouse gas.
It found that existing technical measures could reduce man-made methane emissions by 20 per cent per year, with little or no additional cost to industry.
It also said that the plans of many of the 49 countries that have made net-zero pledges remained “vague and not reflected in NDCs”.
“Overall, a net-zero goal must be accompanied by immediate policy action towards ambitious 2030 targets,” said Joanna Depledge, from the Cambridge Centre for Environment, Energy and Natural Resource Governance.
Three suspected bandit informants have been killed by a mob at Zangon Aya community in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The victims are one Abdullahi Mohammed Gobirawa, his wife Binta Abdullahi and his son Hassan Abdullahi.
The State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said the incident happened on Monday afternoon when the angry mob stormed the home of the deceased identified to be informants to bandits who are responsible for the recent kidnappings in the area.
After killing the three family members, the mob also looted their property before setting their house ablaze.
As the battle to curb the spread of COVID-19 continues, Nigeria has recorded 711 fresh cases and two deaths from the virus.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) disclosed this in its COVID-19 update on Monday night.
According to the agency’s report, the new cases were recorded from 15 States – with Delta State having a record-high of 508 cases.
Other states were Plateau with 41 cases, Rivers – 40, FCT – 32, Enugu – 24, Lagos – 19, Imo – 16, Cross River and Ekiti with nine each, Abia – four; Benue and Kano with three each and Bauchi, Bayelsa and Ogun with one each.
Members of the All Progressive Congress in Kwara South Senatorial have backed the second term bid of Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq.
The APC members who converged at the NUJ Press Center to drum support for the governor also thanked him for allowing one of them to emerge as the state chairman of the party.
Governor Abdulrazaq, they believe has done well in all sectors and should be supported to return for second term.
Spokesperson of the Kwara South APC Forum, James Ayeni, said the governor has governed the people of the state with humility and the fear of God since assuming office in 2019.
“We wish to place on record that you have given to us our dividend of democracy. We wish to hereby pledge our continuous loyalty and support to your administration,” he said.
“We are convinced that with your good track record in office just within a little over two years, you have earned our confidence.”
Meanwhile, members of the Young Progressive Party (YPP) in the state have organised a rally across major streets.
The rally, they noted, is to sensitise the public on the need to shift attention to voting the youths to man the affairs of the country instead of the old and what they called recycled politicians.
While the APC members believe the governor has done well and should be returned, the YPP on its part wants the paradigm shift to their party which believes in the capability of the youth to bring positive changes to the country.
The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Taraba State has held its state congress despite an order from the Federal High Court in the state restraining it from conducting the exercise.
The state congress which took place at Ali Sani Kona event centre Jauro Yinu, Ardo-Kola Local Government Area of Taraba State saw the emergence of Ibrahim El-Sudi as the chairman of the party after his first tenure.
The emergence of Ibrahim El-Sudi was through a voice vote to affirm and elect those who will occupy various positions in the state.
Speaking during the exercise, Chairman of the APC Congress Committee for Taraba State, Tijani Tumsa said the exercise is to avoid the rigorous procedures of voting, counting and declaration.
“What is happening here is unprecedented in the state. After due consultation with all the critical stakeholders, we have arrived at an arrangement to guarantee the future of our party. I call on all those that indicated interest in running the affairs of our party to throw their weight behind the leadership for the overall good of the party,” he said.
“I appreciate the INEC and security agencies that have been very vigilant to ensure that we have a hitch free exercise.”
In her remarks, Secretary of the Election Committee, Rachael Akpabio who read out the names of the officials called for the 100% support and was greeted with overwhelming affirmation from the party stakeholders who were present at the Congress.
A stakeholder of the party in Taraba and Senator representing the Central Zone of the state, Senator Yusuf Yusuf insisted that the party’s decision to go with affirmation rather than the tedious election process is with the consent of all critical stakeholders of the party.
“We are doing affirmation and not election because that is our collective decision. I assure you that as the leader of the party in the state, what we are doing here today is the only legitimate Congress of the APC in Taraba state and anything outside here is an illegality that should not be given a second thought,” he said.
The party chairman in the state Ibrahim El-Sudi appreciated stakeholders of the party for the confidence reposed in them, promising not to let any member down.
“My leadership will provide a level playing field for all members to participate actively for the general good of the party.
“Getting re-elected to serve, entails that We must remain focus and stay united and forget our differences to make sure we deliver in 2023 and beyond ”
At the moment, other stakeholders of the party are awaiting the outcome of the Federal high Court judgment to determine the legality of the congress or otherwise.