The Nigerian Air Force says its airstrikes have killed several armed bandits at Walawa, Yadi and Kuduru hills in Kaduna State.
In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, some of their logistics supplies were destroyed in the process.
This follows a special operation conducted in coordination with the Nigeria Police Force and other security agencies to smoke out the bandits.
Daramola explained that the operation was carried out “after credible intelligence reports and days of Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions revealed that the bandits, after driving away from the original inhabitants of the area, had continued to operate from the locations with impunity.”
“The NAF detailed its attack aircraft to conduct series of air raids at the bandits’ camps resulting in the destruction of some of the logistics facilities and structures housing the armed bandits as well as the neutralization of several of them.
“The airstrikes also paved the way for ground forces to conduct mop-up operations, supported by NAF combat helicopters.
“In all, no fewer than 5 commanders of Ansaru and a dozen armed bandits were neutralized in the operation,” the statement read in part.
Daramola also reiterated the commitment of the Air Force to flush the armed bandits out of the Northwest region.
The Nigerian Air Force says its air strike has destroyed Boko Haram’s camp at Alafa ‘C’ in Sambisa Forest, Borno State.
In a statement issued on Friday by the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, the action followed sustained onslaught by the Operation Decisive Edge of the Force against the terrorists.
According to him, the attack was carried out based on “confirmatory Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions which established that several compounds in the settlement were being used by the terrorists to house and train their fighters.”
“The bomb strikes and rocket salvos from the ATF’s fighter jets hit the designated compounds, obliterating most of the structures and neutralizing some of the BHT occupants,” Daramola said.
The NAF spokesman explained that the Force “operating in concert with surface forces, will sustain its air campaign against the terrorists’ hideouts to shape the battle space for the effective conduct of further ground and air operations.”
The Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has assured the Niger State Governor, Alhaji Abubakar Sani Bello, of the commitment of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) to ensuring the safety and security of the people of Niger State, working in concert with sister services and other security agencies.
The CAS made this known today, February 25, 2020, when he met with the Governor at the Government House Minna, as part of his operational visit to Niger State, which was aimed at assessing facilities emplaced at the Minna Airport to enable the effective conduct of the ongoing anti-banditry air operation code-named “Operation Gama Aiki”.
While, in Minna, the CAS also inspected facilities at the 013 Quick Response Group (013 QRG) NAF Base Minna, including the Base Medical Centre as well as the disused G-222 aircraft provided as a mock-up for anti-aircraft hijacking training, amongst others, where he mentioned that two sets of NAF personnel, who had earlier been trained in anti-aircraft hijacking, would soon be re-assembled to replicate the training locally in Minna.
Speaking during the courtesy call, Air Marshal Abubakar disclosed that the NAF would continue to work alongside other security agencies to bring succour to troubled communities in Niger State.
He stated that he had assessed facilities in the NAF Base, in preparation for the deployment of additional Regiment and Special Forces (SF) personnel to support operations in the state, whilst assuring that the air assets already deployed, including the helicopters and Alpha Jet aircraft, would continue to provide support to the Army and Police.
The CAS equally disclosed that as part of efforts of the Service to alleviate the plight of those affected by the activities of armed bandits, he had directed that a medical outreach be conducted to cater for the healthcare needs of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) at Kuta in Shiroro Local Government Area (LGA).
Air Marshal Abubakar ended his remarks by thanking the Government and people of Niger State for their continued support to the NAF.
In his response, Governor Bello, while noting that the state had gone through a very challenging period, expressed his satisfaction with the arrangements emplaced by the NAF.
He, therefore, thanked the CAS for the tremendous support provided by the deployment of air assets to add value to the Internal Security Operations in the State, especially the most vulnerable areas bordering Zamfara, Kebbi and Kaduna States.
He also commended the CAS for approving the conduct of the medical outreach to Kuta, more so that the NAF had carried out a similar outreach at Chukuba and Kwaki Communities of Shiroro LGA in June 2019.
The CAS, who was accompanied on the visit by the NAF Chief of Training and Operations NAF, Air Vice Marshal (AVM) James Gwani, the Air Secretary NAF, AVM Mahmoud Ahmed, and the Director of Logistics, AVM Ademola Durotoye, amongst other senior officers, had earlier received briefings from the Commander 013 QRG and the Air Component Commander Operation GAMA AIKI, which were held behind closed doors.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has said that some structures and logistics facilities used by Boko Haram Terrorist at Garin Maloma and Parisu in the Sambisa Forest have been destroyed.
According to the Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, in a statement on Tuesday, the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole carried out the strikes on 23 and 24 February 2020 based on credible intelligence reports.
He added that the terrorists who attacked Garkida in Adamawa State originated from camps within the Sambisa Forest.
“Consequently, the ATF dispatched its attack aircraft to engage both locations, destroying several structures housing the terrorists as well as some of their logistics stores, which were seen, engulfed in flames.
“The NAF, operating in concert with surface forces, will sustain its air campaign to shape the battlespace in the Northeast for the effective conduct of further ground and air operations,” he added.
Some key Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) leaders have been killed by airstrikes at Jubillaram and Alinwa in the Northern part of Borno State.
A statement by the Nigerian Air Force Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola on Saturday, said the strikes were conducted by the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole, under the auspices of Operation Rattle Snake 3.
He explained that based on credible intelligence reports indicating that some key ISWAP leaders had assembled for simultaneous meetings on Thursday; attack aircraft were dispatched to engage the locations, damaging the meeting venues and killing the terrorists.
“The latest of these was achieved on 20 February 2020 in attacks conducted at Jubillaram and Alinwa in the Northern part of Borno State, where some key Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP) leaders were neutralized as they assembled for meetings at the 2 locations.
“The mission was executed on the heels of credible intelligence reports indicating that some key ISWAP leaders had assembled for meetings, which were being held simultaneously at 2 separate venues, at Jubillaram and Alinwa in Marte Local Government Area.
“Accordingly, the ATF scrambled its attack aircraft to engage the locations, damaging the meeting venues and neutralizing the terrorists,” he added.
The Air Force spokesman stated that both land and air forces will sustain its campaign against terrorists in the North East.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has graduated a total of 2,070 recruits of Basic Military Training Course 40, as part of efforts to boost the operational power of the service.
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, and some top officers of NAF attended the passing out parade of the recruits which held on Saturday in Kaduna State.
In his remarks, the air force chief explained that the new personnel were recruited to boost the fight against insurgency, banditry, and other related crimes in the country.
He told the new recruits to be prepared to pay the supreme price in defending their fatherland, especially at a time when the country was facing several security challenges.
Abubakar reminded the graduands about the duties of protecting the territorial integrity of the nation, and to also submit to both civil and military authorities at all times.
He announced that his administration would always place a high priority on the welfare and capacity building of officers and men of the service.
The passing out parade marks the end of the six-month training of the new recruits after they were carefully selected for the drill at the Nigerian Air Force Military Training Centre in Kaduna.
It also comes ahead of their deployment to the front line, thereby bridging the manpower gap in the service.
As part of the effort to prepare the young airmen and airwomen for the task ahead and in pursuance of the service’s mission-oriented force development, the curriculum for their course was reviewed with the introduction of internal security module.
At the event, awards were presented to recruits who distinguished themselves in the course of the training.
Men of the Nigerian Air Force have taken over the access gate of the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos following a clash between aviation union officials and the security outfit of the concessionaire.
Union officials had taken over the access gate on Monday, claiming that the concessionaire’s contract had expired a year ago.
The unions believe that more revenue should accrue to the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) than the N68 million the company delivers.
On the other hand, the concessionaire, I-cube admits that the contract had expired in February 2018, but it had been delivering the sum to FAAN since then and awaiting another fresh bid opening from the authority.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says it has killed scores of Boko Haram terrorists in airstrikes in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno State.
NAF’s Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, disclosed this in a statement forwarded to Channels Television on Saturday.
He noted that the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole recorded the success near Bula Bello on January 1, 2020.
Daramola explained that a NAF Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft was returning from a mission before the onslaught.
He said the jet spotted a gun truck of the insurgents under a tree with scores of Boko Haram fighters gathered around the tree on the outskirts of the settlement, purportedly preparing for an attack against nearby troops’ positions.
According to the air commodore, some of the insurgents were also seen in a declassified short video clip pushing another vehicle to a location under another tree in the area.
He revealed that the ATF subsequently scrambled its attack aircraft to engage the location, neutralising some of the terrorists in the process.
“Follow-on attacks were also carried out to take out some locations within Bula Bello where the BHTs were tracked to.
“The jets took turns attacking the target area killing more of the BHTs and destroying some of their structures,” the statement said.
The NAF spokesman stressed that the air force would sustain its efforts to completely destroy all remnants of the terrorists in the North East, working in concert with surface forces.
Several Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) have been killed and some structures in their camp at Abulam in the Sambisa Forest area of Borno State have been destroyed in airstrikes conducted on the 31st of December 2019, by the Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation LAFIYA DOLE.
The mission according to the airforce spokesperson Air commodore Ibikunle Daramola was executed to mark the commencement of Operation RATTLESNAKE 2, an Air Interdiction Operation aimed at taking out some identified insurgent camps and logistics facilities in order to further unhinge the terrorists’ centre of gravity and diminish their fighting capability.
He adds that Abullam was selected for an attack on Day One of the Operation based on credible intelligence reports indicating that the terrorists had resumed using the once-abandoned settlement as a staging point from where they launch attacks against their own ground troops’ locations.
Accordingly, the ATF detailed its attack aircraft, supported by an Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR) aircraft, to attack designated compounds within the settlement.
The jets he adds took turns to engage the target in successive passes leading to the destruction of some of the structures as well as the killing of several terrorists.
It will be recalled that, in early to mid-December 2019, the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) planned and executed the highly successful Operation RATTLESNAKE and Operation RATTLESNAKE 2 is planned to consolidate the gains of the earlier operation and shape the battlespace for further air and ground operations.
The Nigerian Air Force has destroyed some logistics storage facilities belonging to the Islamic State of West Africa Province (ISWAP), at Kirta Wulgo on the fringes of Lake Chad in the northern part of Borno State.
The Director, Airforce Public Relations, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, confirmed this on Tuesday.
“Task Force (ATF) of the Operation Lafiya Dole, has dealt another decisive blow on terrorist elements operating in the northeast”, he said.
According to him, the airstrikes were carried out on December 15 under the Operation Rattle Snake.
Daramola further explained that it was executed following credible human intelligence reports which indicated that three green-roofed buildings at the edge of the settlement were being used as warehouses by the ISWAP elements to store their food, vehicle spares, gunboats and other logistics items.
Accordingly, the ATF, after carrying out confirmatory Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions, dispatched its attack aircraft to engage the location.
Consequently, it scored devastating hits in successive strikes leading to the destruction of the buildings.
The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Air Task Force for Operation Lafiya Dole says it has neutralised scores of Boko Haram Terrorists and destroyed some of their structures in massive airstrikes conducted on Wednesday, December 11, 2019, at Kokiwa and Bula Korege on the fringes of the Sambisa Forest in Borno State.
According to the Director Airforce Public Relations, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, the airstrikes were conducted in continuation of Operation Rattle Snake based on credible Human Intelligence reports which were also corroborated by series of Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) missions.
Daramola noted that the reports disclosed that the Boko Haram terrorists had intensified activities in the targeted settlements with a view to launching attacks against own troops’ locations in the area.
Consequently, the air taskforce detailed its fighter jets and helicopter gunships to attack the two locations.
The combat aircraft took turns to attack targets at both locations, scoring crucial hits on the hideouts which then led to the neutralisation of the insurgents.
Forty-eight newly-promoted senior officers of the Nigerian Air Force (NAF) have been decorated.
The event held on Thursday at the NAF headquarters in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.
They are 13 Air Vice Marshals (AVM) and 35 Air Commodores.
In his address, the Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, urged the senior officers to see their promotion as recognition of professionalism, and as being entrusted with the capacity to tackle higher responsibilities.
He added that NAF would continue to reward officers and men who have shown commitment and professionalism to the security of the country.