The #EndSARS protesters have occupied various locations and blocked major roads in Ibadan, the capital city of Oyo State.
The protesters who are demanding an end to police brutality and extra-judicial killings on Monday morning blocked the road from the secretariat junction to Agodi, preventing vehicular movement to and from the secretariat.
The gates of the secretariat were shut with civil servants inside to prevent protesters from accessing it.
The campaign against police brutality and extra-judicial killings continued on Friday with young Nigerians occupying the entrance of Lagos State House of Assembly Complex.
The protesters, who spent the night at the entrance of the complex demanded an immediate response and immediate disbandment of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) operatives.
On Friday morning, the youths assembled and chanted solidarity songs. Others continued with ‘END SARS!’ ‘END SARS!’ chants as they demanded an audience of the lawmakers.
The youths decried harassment encountered in the hands of SARS operatives, lamenting the rate at which many young creatives are being battered and killed by trigger-happy police officers.
“We are not here to submit a petition, we are here to get results. So 15 persons are going in,” one of the protesters said as the lawmakers later addressed them and invited their delegates to discuss their demands on the floor of the House.
They were later allowed into the chambers of the Lagos State House of Assembly and the Speaker Mudashiru Obasa convened an emergency plenary.
The Speaker read the petition of the #EndSARS protesters and after deliberation by the members, the Lagos State House of Assembly commended the youth for the peaceful manner they have been protesting the existence of sars.
Amongst other resolutions, the Lagos Assembly also resolved to communicate with the Commissioner of Police in Lagos that no police officer should indiscriminately harass residents of Lagos.
The lawmaker representing Surulere Constituency, Desmond Elliot, during the emergency plenary said, “It has gone beyond having hotlines or doing reforms. We really need to look into it. Nigeria Police are working for the people. If the (SARS) unit is working for the people and the people are calling for it to be disbanded, then let us do what they are saying.”
The Deputy Speaker in his contribution called on the Senate to institute a public probe on the extrajudicial killings of innocent Nigerian youths.
End SARS protesters are unrelenting in the protest which has gained momentum in various locations across Nigeria. The youths have occupied streets in Imo, Ilorin, Kwara, Oyo, Osun, Edo, and Abuja, the nation’s capital, jointly calling for the disbandment of SARS.
The House of Representatives has passed a resolution to invite the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu and the Commandant General of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Abdullahi Gana Muhammadu.
The resolution of the House was reached following a motion by the Deputy Majority Whip, Nkeiruka Onyejeocha on the need to investigate the spate of accidental discharge by security personnel and to forestall the killing of innocent Nigerians due to mishandling of firearms.
Four police officers have been arrested for killing two suspected phone thieves.
The policemen, attached to Iba Division Patrol team, were seen to have shot at the suspects in a video which went viral on Tuesday.
In a statement issued on Wednesday by the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Bala Elkana, the officers were identified as Inspector Fabiyi Omomayara, Sergeant Olaniyi Solomon, Sergeant Solomon Sunday and Corporal Aliyu Mukaila.
According to the statement, the two robbery suspects had already been arrested and should have been taken to the Police Station for the normal process of investigation and prosecution to be initiated as stipulated under procedural laws.
Elkana said at about 3:00 pm on August 19, the Iba Police Station had received a distress call from one Anugu Valentine, that he was attacked by a group of armed men numbering about four on two motorcycles at Ipayi area, and they stole an iPhone max from him, valued at N450,000.
Shortly after, the Divisional Police Officer, Iba promptly deployed the Divisional Patrol team to the scene.
Subsequently, two of the armed robbers were arrested while the other two escaped. they were said to be part of a gang notorious for series of robberies in Iba and environs.
Two locally made pistols with six life cartridges and five expended cartridges were also recovered.
While the police celebrated the arrest of the two suspects, it, however, condemned their killing saying it “falls short of police professional standards and cannot be condoned by the Command”.
“The Commissioner of Police Lagos State, CP Zubairu Muazu mni has ordered a thorough investigation into the incident.
“The police officers are currently subjected to internal disciplinary proceedings known as Orderly Room trial and if found culpable, they will be dismissed from the Force and will be handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department Yaba for prosecution in the conventional Court,” the statement read.
The Special Board of Inquiry investigating the allegations of extra-judicial killings by some soldiers in North-East Nigeria has refuted the claims levelled against them by Amnesty International.
The Nigerian Army Chief of Civil/ Military Affairs, Major General Nuhu Angbazo, disclosed this to reporters on Wednesday in Abuja, the nation’s capital.
He said all the soldiers mentioned in the report have been investigated and none of them engaged in any extra-judicial killing or human rights abuse of suspected insurgents.
The board expressed concerns about the position of the Amnesty International which it said has led to the suspension of visas of some senior military officers who defended the Army on the allegations of human rights violation.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has called on security agencies involved in the fight against insurgents to abide by their rules of engagement by respecting the rights of civilians during operations.
The Executive Secretary of NHRC, Professor Bem Angwe, made the call on Tuesday in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
Professor Angwe was delivering a speech at the 3rd National Human Rights Commission /Nigerian Military Dialogue on Human Rights.
He said that there should be a balance between military necessity and human rights protection during conflicts.
The NHRC boss also advised civilians to respect the military authorities who are out to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians.
In his remark, the Nigerian Army Chief of Civil-Military Relations, Major General Rogers Nicholas, described the allegations against the military as untrue.
He insisted that the Nigerian Army respects the rules of engagement as enshrined in the 1999 Constitution.
The Director of Civil-Military Relations of the Nigerian Air Force, Air Commodore Afam Chukwu, also reaffirmed the commitment of the Air Force to the protection of peoples’ rights.
Issues of alleged extra-judicial killings were further discussed but this was done behind closed doors.
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has summoned the Nigerian Army, the Police and the management of Madonna University to bring officers of the various organization alleged to have tortured and violated the rights of civilians.
The Executive Secretary of the commission, Professor Bem Angwe, summoned officials of the commission over some newspaper publications showing pictures of violation and molestation of individuals by the officers of the said organizations.
According to Professor Angwe, failure to appear before the commission within 72 hours would attract the full weight of the law as provided by the NHRC Act.
Reacting to the order, Director, Army Public Relations, Sani Usman, said that the incident was highly regrettable and that investigations were being carried out in line with military regulations after which they would be released to the commission.
He, however, explained that the incident does not give credence to earlier allegation of violation of human rights by the Nigerian Army and it is by no means a reflection of the military.
In recent times, there had been reports of alleged extra-judicial killings by the Police and torture by the military.
The NHRC believes that if Nigerians report such cases to the appropriate authorities, the menace would be nipped in the bud.
The House of Representatives has urged the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Solomon Arase, to beef up his strategies towards arresting the rising spate of kidnappings across the country.
The lawmakers have also tasked the Federal Government to reopen investigations into cases of extra-judicial killings and other high profile murders alleged to have been committed by Police officers and personnel of other security agencies.
Among such cases are the Apo 6 and the alleged invasion of Ogoni land by mobile policemen and armed soldiers.
In a motion raised on the floor of the House, soliciting legislative support for the call for justice by Nigerians, a lawmaker, Kingsley Chinda said that the efforts of successive administrations to tackle extra-judicial killings have been ineffective.
The House then urged the Nigeria Police Force to be more alive to its responsibilities in the prevention and proper investigation of crimes.
The Northern Elders Forum (NEF), has threatened to drag the immediate past Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Azubuike Ihejirika, and some other top military officers to the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague for alleged extra-judicial killings.
The news comes barely 48 hours after President Goodluck Jonathan removed the nation’s service chiefs from office.
The Northern Elders in a communique signed by its spokesman, Professor Ango Abdullahi, at the end of its meeting in Kaduna, accused the outgoing Chief of Army Staff and six others of alleged extra-judicial killings and strangulation of civilians by soldiers in Bama and Giwa Barracks in Borno State, using an underground detention centre.
While the statement did not mention the six other persons involved, Abdullahi said that the forum had earlier set up two investigative committees to probe the use of soldiers against civilians in Bama and some parts of Borno State.
“The Forum has therefore resolved to harmonise the reports of the two committees, preparatory to filing a case of extra-judicial killings by the Nigerian Army under the then Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Azubuike Ihejirika and six others.
“The reports will be harmonised at our emergency meeting in Abuja on Wednesday the 22nd of January 2014, for further action”, the statement read.
Two male residents of the Mafoloku area of Oshodi in Lagos were allegedly shot dead on Sunday, 6th of October by men of the Nigeria Police, who are yet to be identified.
In a report by Channels Television, it was revealed the 31 year old Ganiyu who was watching a football game was shot dead while attempting to enter the bar where a match was being watched by other residents and football fans.
An eyewitness, Abdulwaheed Okeowo who witnessed the incident, revealed that one of two policemen who sat in the back of the patrol van allegedly shot his gun and Rafiu was hit in the left side of his chest.
However, in an earlier encounter, the other victim identified as Rafiu Adeniji, had been shot by policemen after an altercation involving a commercial bus driver whose vehicle had been hit.
Unfortunately, Mr Rafiu’s six year old daughter, Mariam had witnessed the killing of her father as she was in the car.
Rafiu was allegedly killed after a confrontation with the policemen over an accident that happened along the Mangoro end of Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway. Ms. Adeniji said “My daddy was driving home when someone hit his car.”
An account by another eyewitness stated that a white police patrol vehicle with the inscription, OPS Attack, was chasing a commercial bus which Adeniji allowed to pass.
“We continued on our journey but after a while, we found ourselves behind the same bus. Suddenly, the driver of the bus applied his brake.” Unfortunately for Adeniji, he couldn’t stop his car fast enough as his vehicle was said to have hit the bus from behind.
An argument was said to have ensued between the bus driver and Adeniji after the motorist demanded payment for the repair of the bus. The deceased allegedly told the bus driver to blame the policemen for causing the accident. “The policemen were parked on the side of the road and when Rafiu approached them to discuss what had happened, one of them alighted and was alledged to have shot him in the chest before fleeing.
Mr Adeniji was reportedly pronounced dead at two separate hospitals after which residents in the area protested and planned to burn down the station, this allegation was according to a top official of the Makinde Police station in Oshodi.
This led to the Police Division calling for reinforcements.
However, the invited policemen reportedly began shooting sporadically into the air which led to Ganiyu’s death.
A resident, Adebayo Bamgbose who was with Ganiyu when he was hit by a stray bullet, told Channels Television that the two of them were about stepping into the aforementioned bar when he was hit by a bullet.
He said that there was no uproar in the area, adding that the policemen kept on shooting even after Ganiyu fell down.