Three persons have been killed in a fire outbreak that occurred at an internally displaced persons (IDP) camp in Monguno, Borno State.
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) confirmed this in a statement on Friday by its Head of Media and Public Relations, Mr Sani Datti.
According to him, the incident occurred on Thursday at the camp which houses nearly 8,000 IDPs.
The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Mr Edward Kallon, while sympathising with the victims said the fire started in a family cooking area in front of a shelter made of straw, bamboo and plastic sheeting, sweeping through the Stadium Camp.
Less than 24 hours to the All Progressives Congress (APC) Local Government congress in Imo State a fire outbreak has occurred in the party’s secretariat.
The fire outbreak occurred in one of the offices at the APC secretariat located along Okigwe road in Owerri. Properties and vital documents were destroyed in the fire.
This fire outbreak has created a tensed political atmosphere as some members have alleged that the secretariat was set ablaze by some yet to be identified hoodlums.
According to eyewitnesses, the fire started around 6:00 p.m. during a heavy downpour which made people around the area scamper for safety.
Security operatives and fire service officials later came to quench the fire.
Another eyewitness account who pleaded anonymity says the office was set ablaze by suspected hoodlums who came in a Siena vehicle and disappeared immediately after setting the office ablaze.
Meanwhile, the Imo State Commissioner of police, Dasuki Galadanchi, who later came to the scene of the incident told newsmen that the cause of the fire has not been ascertained but will ensure that the police gets to the root of the matter.
He assured the people of the state to go about their normal business as the police will ensure the safety of lives and property. He said in the meantime the APC office will be cordoned off.
It was a tragic Christmas for some shop owners as fire destroyed property and goods worth millions on Monday, along the popular Oba Adesida Road in Ondo state.
Eye-witnesses said the fire, which lasted for over two hours started from one of the shops at about 1:00 pm and later spread to other shops nearby.
As a result of the Christmas break, the shop owners were not around to put out the fire or salvage any of their goods, hence resulting in major damages before the fire was eventually put out.
On hearing news of the incident, shop owners who were affected lamented over the huge loss.
One of the victims who owns a big bookshop, Patrick Adedeji, narrated his plight to Channels Television.
“I was at the Redemption camp in Lagos when I started seeing strange calls on my phone. I managed to answer one and I was informed that my shop was on fire. Some of my people rushed down here but before then, everything was burnt. I’m at a total loss now as I just stocked the shop with goods worth millions of naira,” he said.
Another victim, Remi Ibitola who operates a recording studio said: “Though my office was not burnt but because it was a storey building, it was from there people were pouring water to put off the fire in the shops around.
“All our equipment were destroyed and flooded. Some of the people who came around carted away some of my property. I have lost close to 20 million naira worth of property to the fire outbreak, it is quite unfortunate.”
All those affected have made a passionate appeal to the government as well as spirited Nigerians to come to their aid.
Firemen have found the bodies of “around” 36 people after a deadly blaze at a shopping mall in the southern Philippines, a fire official said Monday.
The regional chief of the Bureau of Fire Protection, Wilberto Rico Neil Kwan Tiu, told weeping relatives of the missing that he personally counted “around 36” bodies in an office lobby at the burned down NCCC shopping mall in Davao.
Mayor Sara Duterte said earlier that 38 people were missing and believed to have died in the fire, with one other unidentified body recovered on Sunday.
British singer Adele visited Grenfell Tower in London on Thursday June 15 during the early hours.
The Grammy winner musician was at the place of the disaster around midnight according to an eyewitness. “The 29-year-old singer was near the cordoned-off area” the eyewitness said.
The death toll in a fire disaster that destroyed a 24-storey block of flats in London was expected to rise on Thursday June 15, with many people still missing and firefighters facing hazardous conditions as they searched the charred carcass.
Smoke was still wafting out of the shell of the Grenfell Tower on Thursday morning and a Reuters witness saw a big piece of cladding falling from the building, 32 hours after fire engulfed the building in the early hours of Wednesday June 14 and turned it into a huge flaming torch in minutes.
Authorities have confirmed 12 deaths but have said that the figure would rise and that they did not expect to find any survivors. Firefighters rescued 65 people from the building.
The Bakassi block, a two-storey building of the female hostel at the Yaba College of Technology in Lagos, has been gutted by fire.
The fire which the Lagos state fire service suspects started as a result of a spark from an electric panel, started at about 5:20 am on Wednesday morning and was on till about 7:00 am.
While rescue efforts have been on-going by men of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Lagos state Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) and state fire service, no one has so far been reported hurt.
However, a report by a NEMA official revealed that four ladies who went into a state of shock and were rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yaba, have been stabilised.
20 rooms were reported to have been damaged extensively while five rooms were partially affected at the topmost floor.