In a Monday statement, Enenche had announced that troops of Operation Hadarin Daji have killed at least 35 bandits in Zamfara in two successive operations.
The operations were carried out on Sunday, the spokesman said.
According to the statement, the troops were also able to recover 24 cows and an unspecified number of sheep from the bandits.
He also noted that two suspected bandits have been arrested in Katsina state.
During his Thursday press briefing, Enenche renewed his appeal for members of the public to continually provide the military with actionable information that will assist in decimating all criminal elements in the country.
The Coordinator Defence Media Operations, Major-General John Enenche has said that Boko Haram insurgents no longer have authority over any part of the country, especially in the northeast where the insurgents once had a stronghold.
Speaking on Channel Television’s Politics Today on Friday, Enenche explained that what the country now has are remnants and a weakened enemy (Boko Haram and ISWAP fighters).
“They are moving from bush to enclave and enclave to bush and no longer have any authority or sovereignty on any territory in the northeast and by extension, to Nigeria,” he said.
The comments come on the same day that the nation marked the Armed Forces Remembrance Day, in honour of the fallen heroes of the military.
While the nation continues to record some successes in its insurgency war, many have faulted the government’s claims of its success, even as many, including frontline officers have had to pay the supreme price.
Still, the government has severally reiterated that the insecurity fight under the current administration has been far more progressive than in previous governments.
General Enenche also restated this position on Friday, noting that “the Armed Forces of Nigeria made a lot of progress last year in the area of packaging itself to further the defense of this country.”
“As of 2015 before this administration came on board, at least 17 and 20 local governments were strongholds of the insurgents… by 2016 the whole of the northeast was recaptured and the government took back full authority,” he said.
He also spoke about welfare packages for families of the fallen heroes.
As part of efforts to reduce acts of terrorism and insurgency to the barest minimum in the country, the Military has announced the killing of sixty-four Boko Haram terrorists in Borno and Yobe States.
In a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche said the Military and other security agencies have continued their major operations across the country with renewed vigor.
“This was achieved during air strikes executed on the location after the BHT were spotted in a compound concealed in a dense vegetation of the location,” he said.
“The location which served as hideout and used by the terrorists to coordinate their nefarious activities were taken out as the Nigerian Air Force attack aircraft took turns in engaging the targets. During the air strikes, several terrorists were also neutralized.”
General Enenche, also, warned against illegal acquisition of fertilizers as he explained that while they are basically for agricultural purposes, the possibility of it being acquired by criminal gangs, terrorists and militants for sinister purposes cannot be disregarded.
This, according to him, is because fertilizer has remained a potential component for the fabrication of explosives owing to its content of ammonium nitrate.
“The High Command reassures the general public of its untiring commitment towards securing the country,” General Enenche added.
The Coordinator of the Defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche has said that terrorism and insurgency are resilient all over the world.
He stated this on Thursday during a special end-of-the-year programme which aired on Channels Television.
“It is rather unfortunate that all over the world, insurgency, and terrorism are very resilient. It is a similar thing that we are having,” he said.
“For us, the encouragement is that from having controlled territories, now they don’t have controlled territories on the ground where they have authorities and set up an administration.”
While admitting that the insurgency war in Nigeria has been ongoing for over a decade, the defence spokesman said the military has been able to contain the terrorists to what he described as skirmishes.
According to Enenche, the raid was sanctioned based on credible intelligence about the bandits’ location.
He added that the raid resulted in the recovery of 20 locally made rifles and other ammunition.
READ THE MILITARY’S FULL STATEMENT
OPERATION ACCORD: TROOPS NEUTRALIZE 2 NOTORIOUS ARMED BANDITS, RECOVER RIFLES, AMONGST OTHERS, IN DARING DAWN RAID AT ANGWAN MADA IN NASARAWA LGA OF NASARAWA STATE
1. Troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE and 177 Battalion, in the early hours of 9 December 2020, conducted a daring dawn raid on a major armed bandits’/kidnappers’ hideout at Angwan Mada close to Tunga in Nasarawa LGA of Nasarawa State, neutralizing 2 notorious bandits in the process.
2. The raid which was conducted sequel to actionable technical and human intelligence on the location of the camp in the general area, also resulted in the recovery of 20 locally made rifles and other ammunition.
3. Adopting an aggressive posture, the gallant troops tactfully assaulted the hideout, taking the bandits by surprise. The gallant troops overwhelmed the bandits with effective fire and neutralized 2 of the criminals responsible for kidnappings and other crimes in the general area while others fled in disarray with fatal gunshot wounds. A follow-up exploitation of the camp and environs further resulted in the recovery of a total of 20 locally made rifles, 40 empty cases of 7.62mm special ammunition and 5 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition. Troops thereafter destroyed the camp. The gallant troops are presently dominating the area with aggressive patrols and are equally on the trail of the fleeing bandits in order to locate and neutralize them. Members of the general public are hereby requested to continue to provide credible information to the troops operating within their localities.
4. You are requested to please disseminate this information to the general public through your medium with attached photographs. Thank you for your usual cooperation.
JOHN ENENCHE Major General Coordinator Defence Media Operations Defence Headquarters 10 December 2020.
Responding to the UN report during his appearance on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily, Enenche said the military’s casualty count still stood at 43.
“I have to respond, it is coming from the United Nations,” he said. “This is a source that identified itself that 110 persons specifically were killed.”
According to him, military officials accompanied Governor Babagana Zulum to the site of the killings where the 43 bodies were counted.
But some persons had fled the scene, as they tried to escape the onslaught.
The spokesman added that the military is still searching for casualties.
“Probably we may count up to the figure he gave in the future,” Enenche said. “But as it is, up till the time I came here, what we have counted with the locals is still 43. And we are hoping that we don’t get beyond that. So that’s the real situation.”
The Nigerian military on Saturday said it has rescued three kidnapped victims and killed two kidnappers in Nasarawa state.
The victims were rescued by troops of Operation Whirl Stroke, a statement signed by spokesman Major General John Enenche said.
“In continuation of aggressive clearance operation to stamp out banditry and other criminal activities in North Central zone of the country, troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE and 117 Guards Battalion recorded appreciable successes against criminal elements,” the statement said.
“Troops while on joint clearance operation on 25 September 2020 around Mararaba Udege in Nasarawa State raided a suspected kidnappers’ camp along Bakonu road in Nasarawa Local Government Area. In the course of the operation, 3 kidnapped victims were rescued while 2 kidnappers were killed in action. Rescued victims have been reunited with their families.”
The military also said it has killed two bandits in Taraba state.
“In another development, following credible intelligence on the possible regrouping of some elements linked to late Gana at a hideout around Kwaghaondo village in Chanchanji council ward of Takum Local Government Area of Taraba State, troops of Sector 2 conducted a dawn raid operation at the identified hideout,” the statement added.
“The gallant troops made contact with the armed militia elements who opened fire and fled as troops closed in on their position. Troops swiftly responded with superior firepower which led to the killing of 2 bandits while one AK 47 rifle, one magazine and 15 rounds of 7.62mm Special ammunition were recovered. Currently troops have continued to dominate the area with aggressive patrols and ambushes to deny bandits freedom of action.”
The military reiterated its commitment to securing the country and eliminate all forms of criminal elements.
“Members of the general public are requested to always continue to provide timely information on the activities of criminals in their various localities to the nearest military and other security agencies location for prompt action,” the statement said.
The military on Thursday said it has successfully eliminated several top Boko Haram leaders at the Lake Chad Basin in Borno.
According to a statement signed by a spokesman, Major-General John Enenche, the commanders were killed by troops of Operation Lafiya Dole.
“In continuation of the aggressive clearance operation against terrorism and other sundry crimes in the North East, troops of Army Super Camp Malumfatori at the Lake Chad Basin conducted massive clearance operations,” Enenche said.
“The successful operation led to the destruction of several identified terrorists’ camps and hideouts located at Tunbun Gini, Tunbun Nbororo, Tunbun Kayoma, Tunbun Kaza, Tunbun Fulani at the fringes of Lake Chad in Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State.
“Several top BHT/ISWAP terrorists commanders were killed during the successful operation including Abu Usman, Alhaji Shettima, Modu Mainok, Bukar Gana, Abu Summayya, Amir Taam and Amir Kuraish among others.”
Enenche added that the military was committed to ending the insurgency and other security challenges in the country
“While the good people of the North East are once again assured of troop’s commitment to the safety of lives and property within the zone, they are also encouraged to continue to avail the troops with timely and credible information that will assist them in the conduct of their operations,” he said.
Three citizens of the Republic of Niger have been arrested in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State over arms smuggling.
Speaking during a press conference in Abuja on Friday, the Coordinator of defence Media Operations, Major General John Enenche said the suspects are members of a notorious arms smuggling syndicate.
He explained that the foreigners smuggled the special ammunition into the country by concealing them in their vehicle.
“Troops of Operation Sahel Sanity deployed at Forward Operating Base Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State on the 15th of August after an undercover operation successfully smashed a notorious illegal arms smuggling syndicate who specialise in massive arms supply to bandits in the northwest from across the international borders.
“The three suspects, all Nigeriens were intercepted at Dantudu in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State with six AK-47 rifles, two AK-47 rifle magazines and 2,415 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition concealed in various parts of their vehicles,” he said.
Speaking further, the defence spokesman said some of the nation’s “security challenges have an external influence.”
Six days after the convoy of Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum was attacked by suspected Boko Haram terrorists, the Defence Headquarters (DHQ) says the attack was not in any way, military sabotage.
A visibly-angry Zulum had after the attack, accused the Nigerian soldiers of being responsible for the raid on his convoy in Baga, a claim which the DHQ says has been investigated and found to be false.
Zulum believes some elements are trying to frustrate the effort of the government in ending the insurgency and President Muhammadu Buhari needs to know the truth.
He said, “Let me also re-echo my previous position with respect to the level of insurgency in Borno State, I earlier said that the gravity of the insurgency cannot be compared with what has happened between 2011 to 2015, and 2015 to date. Yes, it’s true. The President has done well.
“But there’s sabotage in the system that will not allow the insurgency to end; the President has to know this very important point.”
Speaking on Wednesday during an interview on Channels Television’s Politics Today, the spokesman of the Defence Headquarters, John Enenche, absolved the military of any complacency.
Enenche, a Major-General said contrary to Governor Zulum’s claims, the attack was not sabotaged by the military, adding that investigations commenced based on how weighty the allegations were and findings show that the governor’s claims were false.
“We investigated it immediately and the strategic level is cleared of that, operational level cleared of that, the tactical level is cleared of that.
“We analysed the video. Even from the gunshot, the way it all played out, you will discover from the sound of the gunshot that it is not conventional weapons that we use.
“From the habit from that analysis, it was purely that of the enemy in that area – Boko Haram (BHTs). From the tactics, from the manoeuvres exhibited, it was theirs. From the search conducted, it was purely theirs,” he said.
According to the defence spokesman, the fears of the Military High Command were allayed after 48 hours.
While insisting that the attack on Governor Zulum was not sabotaged on any of the troops in the theatre of operation, Enenche said the issue will be handled by whom he described as stakeholders.
He also reiterated the commitment of the Armed Forces in ridding the nation of the myriads of security challenges.
Airstrikes from the Nigerian military has destroyed a new camp belonging to an armed gang in the Doumborou forest area of Zamfara state.
This is according to the Coordinator, Defence Media Operations, John Enenche.
The airstrikes, which also resulted in the killing of several armed bandits, was executed on Thursday after human intelligence reports and confirmatory surveillance missions established that members of the gang had relocated to a new area by a rocky high ground within the forest.
According to Enenche the air component dispatched an enhanced force package of fighter jets and helicopter gunships to attack the location.
The attack aircraft engaged the target area, taking out some of the bandits.
Read the military’s full statement:
OPERATION HADARIN DAJI: AIR COMPONENT TAKES OUT ARMED BANDITS’ CAMP, ELIMINATES SEVERAL FIGHTERS AT DOUMBOUROU FOREST IN ZAMFARA STATE
1. Air interdiction missions being conducted by the Air Component of Operation HADARIN DAJI have yielded more positive results with the destruction of a new camp belonging to the armed gang headed by the bandit leader known as “Dangote” in the Doumborou Forest area of Zamfara State. The air strike, which also resulted in the killing of several armed bandits, was executed on 23 July 2020 after Human Intelligence (HUMINT) reports as well as series of confirmatory aerial surveillance missions established that members of the gang, along with their logistics items, motorcycles and hundreds of rustled livestock, had relocated from their erstwhile position to new area by a rocky high ground within the Forest.
2. The Air Component therefore dispatched an enhanced force package of Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jets and helicopter gunships to attack the location. The attack aircraft engaged the target area scoring accurate hits and taking out some of the bandits. Many others, who were seen trying to flee the location in disarray, were mopped-up in follow-on attacks.
3. While commending the Air Component of Operation HADARIN DAJI for their professionalism, the Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, has urged them to remain resolute in the conduct of air strikes whilst continuing to provide close air support for ongoing ground operations in order to eradicate all armed bandits; thus accomplishing the directives of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) to restore normalcy in the North West and North Central Zones of the Country.
4. You are please requested to disseminate this information, along with the attached declassified short video clip of the attacks, through your medium for the awareness of the general public. Thank you for your usual support and cooperation.
JOHN ENENCHE Major General Coordinator Defence Media Operations Defence Headquarters 25 July 2020