Alleged Money Laundering: Court Grants Yakubu Bail

Alleged Money Laundering: Court Grants Former NNPC GMD, Andrew Yakubu Bail EFCCA former Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (GMD NNPC), Mr Andrew Yakubu, has been granted bail in the sum of 300 million Naira.

Mr Yakubu is facing a six-count charge of money laundering preferred against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The charges were all in relation to the money allegedly recovered from his house in Kaduna State on February 3.

Following his arraignment on March 16, Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja had ordered that the former NNPC boss be remanded in Kuje Prison.

Ruling on the defendant’s bail application, Justice Mohammed observed that he has no reason to believe that Mr Yakubu would jump bail.

He then proceeded to grant him bail for 300 million Naira with two sureties in like sum.

The judge said the sureties must own properties which must worth the bail sum within the Federal Capital Territory.

He, however, refused to grant the prayer of the defence counsel for an order to release the accused person’s international passport, which was said to be in the EFCC custody.

Justice Mohammed ordered Mr Yakubu to remain in prison pending when the defendant would meet the bail conditions.

He also adjourned until May 9 for the commencement of trial.

Fani-Kayode Regains Freedom

Fani-Kayode, EFCC ArrestsThe former spokesman of the campaign organisation of former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr Femi Fani-Kayode, has been released from detention after 24 days.

Mr Fani-Kayode’s release was announced in a statement by his spokesman, Jude Ndukwe.

He said the former Aviation Minister was released “after meeting all the conditions of bail that was granted to him by the Federal High Court in Abuja”.

Mr Fani-Kayode was initially held in a detention facility at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission office in Abuja before he was moved to Kuje prison.

“He gives thanks to God for everything and he has asked me to convey his heartfelt appreciation and love to all those that prayed for and encouraged him and his family at this difficult time and indeed throughout this ordeal,” Mr Ndukwe stated.

According to him, Mr Fani-Kayode would now focus on getting the medical attention that he needed.

He also said that Mr Fani-Kayode reiterated his commitment to seeing a better Nigeria.

“He wishes to let all those that have offered him support and that have stood by him throughout this period know that his resolve to help build a better Nigeria and stand up for righteousness and truth remains strong.

“No matter what comes our way we trust the Lord and we believe that we shall prevail,” the statement further read.

A Federal High Court in Abuja had on November 10 granted bail to the former Aviation Minister in the sum of 50 million Naira and one surety in like sum.

The court says that the surety must be resident in Abuja and own a landed property in the capital city.

Earlier on Monday, the trial of Mr Fani-Kayode over a 4.9 bilion Naira fraud charge could not proceed at the Federal High Court in Lagos.

This was because he was still in Kuje prison trying to perfect the conditions for his bail granted by a Federal High Court in Abuja on five-count charge of diversion of 26 million naira.

His counsel, Mr Wale Balogun, told the court that he had been in Kuje prisons because he was yet to meet the bail conditions granted him by an Abuja court.

“My lord, the second accused (Fani-Kayode) was kept in custody of the prosecution for 21 days without any word, and finally, arraigned on November 10 before your learned brother, Justice John Tsoho in Abuja, on a five-count charge bordering on 26 million Naira.

“He was subsequently remanded at the Kuje prisons, and in view of this, we are helpless, as his bail conditions have not been perfected in spite of frantic efforts by family and friends,” Balogun said.

Mr Fani-Kayode had been facing a 17-count charge of money laundering to the tune of N4.9 billion before he was re-arrested on Friday, October 21 by operatives of the anti-graft agency.

FCT Chief Judge Pardons 10 Inmates

FCT, Nsukka, Prison, Inmates, Two prisoners at the Kuje medium prison have been released unconditionally, while another eight will go home, should their fines be settled by well-meaning Nigerians.

This is according to the Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) High Court, Justice Usman Bello.

He also said that a panel has been set-up to fast-track cases awaiting trial between now and the first quarter of 2017.

Justice Bello said that the exercise is part of efforts by the judiciary to decongest the nation’s prisons which are being stretched beyond capacity.

 

 

FG Sacks 23 Prison Officers Over Jailbreaks

Nigeria Prisons Service, Prison, JailbreaksTwenty-three officers of the Nigeria Prisons Service have been relieved of their jobs for their alleged role in the jailbreaks that occurred recently at Kuje Medium Security Prison in the Federal Capital Territory and Koton-Karfe Prison in Kogi State.

This decision was approved at an emergency meeting of the Civil Defence, Fire, Immigration and Prisons Services Board in Abuja on August 11.

A statement from the Nigeria Prisons Service indicates that 17 junior staff of the Kuje and Konton-Karfe prisons have also been sacked in connection with the jailbreaks.

In addition, the officer in charge of the Nsukka Prison in Enugu State, Mr Lawrence Okonkwo and 10 other staff of the facility have been suspended, to allow for an investigation of the escape of 15 inmates from the prison last week, though six of them were said to have been re-arrested.

The sack comes on the heels of the three jailbreaks that occurred between June and August in Kuje, Koton-Karfe and Nsukka prison facilities, all in Nigeria.

Two inmates escaped from the Kuje prison while 13 others fled the Koton-Karfe prison.

The Nsukka jailbreak was the recent where 15 prisoners escaped, just as six escapees were rearrested.

FG Will Restructure Nigerian Prisons – Dambazau

Abdulrahman Dambazau PrisonsThe Minister of Interior, Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Dambazau (Rtd), says the Federal Government will commence total restructuring of Nigeria’s prisons.

He announced the plan on Tuesday at a meeting organised for senior officers of the Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS) in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory.

The Minister said that the reform is coming as part of measures to forestall cases of prison breaks in the near future.

General Dambazau noted that the present situation of prisons across the country calls for structural changes as some of them have not been remodelled in the last 100 years.

He informed the officials that another area the government would focus on is the provision of close circuit cameras for adequate security, as recommended by the House of Representatives.

The Interior Minister further warned that the government would not fail to take punitive measures against officers who become complacent in the discharge of their duties.

The meeting became important after the jail breaks in Kuje Prison, Abuja and another at the Koton Karfe Prison in Kogi State happening within two months.

The Comptroller General of the Nigeria Prisons Service (NPS), Jafaru Ahmed, on his part gave an update on the recent Koton Karfe prison break.

He called on all senior officers in the Prisons Service to buckle up as he equally vowed that the law would catch up with any official found wanting.

Mr Ahmed also urged Nigerians to provide information that would be helpful to officials of the NIS in the discharge of their duties.

Nigerian Prisons Commit To Strengthening Security In Facilities

Nigerian PrisonsThe Nigerian Prisons Service has said it is committed to strengthening its programmes on security measures in order to fulfill its reformatory role to inmates.

The Controller of Prisons in Lagos, Mr Tinuoye Olumide, said this during his visit to the female prisons in Kirikiri, southwest Nigeria.

Speaking on Monday in the course of his familiarisation tour, Mr Olumide also reacted to the issues of security breaches in the prisons.

He assured that none of those found culpable of aiding and abetting such criminality would be spared.

The visit is sequel to the Kuje jail break in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory where two inmates of the prison were said to have escaped in June.

In its reaction, the House of Representatives called for the installation of closed circuit cameras at strategic areas in Nigerian prisons.

The lawmakers also stressed the need to urgently recruit more personnel into the Service in order to enhance security.

Kuje Jail Break: Reps Advocate Provision Of CCTV In Nigerian Prisons

Nigerian Prisons, House of Representatives,The House of Representatives has called for the installation of closed circuit cameras at strategic areas in Nigerian prisons.

The Chairman of the House Committee on Interior, Representative Adams Jagaba, made the call after members of the committee were taken round the Kuje Prison on Wednesday.

He was also reacting to the recent jail break in Kuje, a suburb in Abuja, where two inmates of the prison were said to have escaped four days ago.

The lawmaker said there was also an urgent need to recruit more personnel into the Nigeria Prison Service (NPS) in order to enhance security.

While highlighting some lapses observed during the inspection, he also spoke on the issue of awaiting trial inmates.

Mr Jagaba said that the National Assembly has made appropriate budgetary provision for more vehicles and arms for the service.

He also called for a proper investigation that would recommend proper sanctions for any negligence discovered.

In his response, the Deputy Comptroller-General (Operations) of NPS, Mr Emmanuel Ogundele, said an investigation was on-going on the jail break.

Jail Break: Danbazzau Visits Kuje Prison

Danbazzau, Kuje Prison, Jail breakThe Nigeria Prisons Service will carry out an appraisal of the security arrangements at all the nation’s prisons.

The Minister of Interior, Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Danbazzau (Rtd) revealed this when he visited the Kuje Prison in Abuja.

Two inmates escaped from the Kuje Prison during a jail break at the weekend.

General Dambazau explained that the new arrangement will ensure that there is no re-occurrence of weekend’s jail break.

Prisons Official Debunks Rumours Of Charles Okah’s Escape

charles okahAn official of the Nigerian Prisons Service on Saturday debunked reports that one of the prime inmates in Kuje Prison, Mr Charles Okah, has escape.

The spokesman for the prisons service, Enobore Francis, told Channels Television that Mr Okah was intact in his cell.

He, however, confirmed reports of Kuje Prison brake, saying that two inmates awaiting trial for culpable homicide were at large.

“Actually, yesterday, we had an incident where two inmates awaiting trial escaped from custody.

“Charles Okah is still in safe custody in Kuje Medium Security Prison.

“There is no truth about news making the rounds that Charles Okah escaped from lawful custody. It is not true.

“At least the Comptroller General himself came when the news was trending to assess the situation,” he stressed.

Although reporters were not allowed into the prison with the Comptroller General of Prisons, who carried out an assessment, the prisons spokesperson said the two inmates escaped from their cells at about 7:30 p.m. local time on Friday, June 24.

He said that the Comptroller General had directed that a detailed account of what transpired should be transferred to his office.

“He has promised that any staff found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” he added.

Court Adjourns Ruling On Abba Moro’s Case Till March 3

Abba MoroJustice Anwuli Chikere has adjourned ruling on former Minister of Interior in Nigeria, Abba Moro case till March 3.

The Court also ordered their remand in Kuje Prison until application is granted.

The defence counsels argued that the offences for which the accused persons are standing trial are ordinarily bailable

The Prosecutor, Aliyu Yusuf, however opposed the application on the grounds that the accused persons may interfere with the trial.

Having listened to all the arguments, Justice Anwuli Chikere, who had earlier ordered Journalists out of the court adjourned the matter till Thurs 3rd March for ruling on the bail application

Mr Moro, was arraigned on an 11-count charge of advance fee fraud, money laundering and breach of Public Procurement Act to the tune of 676.6 million Naira.

The former Minister was arraigned by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday before a Federal High Court in Abuja.

Others being charged alongside Mr Moro for their roles in the Immigration recruitment exercise that killed no fewer than 20 job seekers across the country are the Permanent Secretary of the ministry at the time, Anastasia Daniel-Nwobia; a Deputy Director in the Ministry, F. O Alayebami; one Mahmood Ahmadu (at large), and the contracting firm given the recruitment job, Drexel Tech Nigeria Limited.

Mr Moro and his co-accused persons pleaded not-guilty to the charges.

Olisa Metuh Arraigned Again

Olisa-metuhThe National Publicity Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Olisa Metuh, has been arraigned again on a two-count charge for criminal destruction of evidence and property of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Mr Metuh was brought in handcuffs from the Kuje prison where he is being remanded, pending the fulfillment of his bail conditions.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges which attracts a maximum of two years jail term.

The Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice Ishaq Bello, who is presiding over the case has adjourned till January 25 for hearing of Mr Metuh’s bail application.

The PDP Spokesman was on Tuesday granted bail by the Federal High Court in Abuja, ordering him to pay the sum of 400 million Naira.

He is also to tender two sureties that must provide 200 million Naira bail bond each. The court said both sureties must be resident in Abuja and should swear an affidavit of means with two passport photographs.

The EFCC had filed a seven count charge of criminal breach of trust, corruption and money laundering against Mr Olisa Metuh.

Mr Metuh, according to the charges, transferred the sum of $1 million dollars through his agent, Nneka Nicole Ararume, to one Sie Iyenome of Capital Field Investment committing an offense contrary to Section One of the Money Laundering Act.

He is also accused of receiving the sum of N400 million from the office of the former National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki, without a contract, contrary to the Money Laundering Act.

Mr Metuh, is also accused of converting the said money to funds for political activities of the Peoples Democratic Party.

Mr Metuh was arrested by officials of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) at his home on January 5.

Judge Grants Pardon To 24 Kuje Prison Inmates

Jail BreakThe Chief Judge of the Federal Capital Territory, Justice Ishaq Bello, has granted official pardon to 24 inmates of the Kuje Prison in Abuja.



Those pardoned include two foreigners from neighboring Chad and Niger Republic who were certified to be critically ill after spending over seven years behind bars.

Others pardoned include a 90 year old man, who was convicted of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.

The Chief Judge says his visit to the prison has also corrected some abnormalities which led to the congestion of the prison.

The Chief Judge said his visit to the prison also corrected some abnormalities which led to the congestion of the prison.

Channels Television’s correspondent reports that out of the about one thousand three hundred inmates here, over 700 are awaiting trial.