Student Shoots Two Dead In School

 

A young student at a private school in Brazil shot dead two other children and wounded four more Friday, the emergency services said.

There were conflicting reports from the authorities about the ages of those involved.

All the victims were 12 or 13 years old, police and the fire department in the central city of Goiana said initially.

However, police investigators told AFP that the suspected shooter, who was arrested, was 14 and that students shot could be anywhere from 11 to 16.

Speaking on Globo television, a police officer said the assailant was the son of a policeman and that the pistol used was police-issue.

Local media reported that the boy had been bullied.

“At break time, he took the gun out of his bag and began shooting,” an unidentified witness was quoted as saying by G1 news site. “Then everyone began to run.”

The bloodshed in the state of Goias was a shock in Brazil, where student-on-student shootings of the kind common in the United States are unusual.

However, the country is one of the most violent in the world, recording nearly 60,000 homicides a year. Among the frequent victims are children hit by stray bullets in tightly packed favela slum neighborhoods or while in school.

Cassio Almeida de Rosa, who works with the Brazilian Public Security Forum in studying violence, said “what’s noteworthy” was the access to a firearm at home in this case.

Earlier this month, a security guard reportedly suffering from mental illness deliberately set fire to a nursery school, killing himself, nine children and a teacher.

About 40 people were injured in the blaze at the nursery school in Janauba, a small town about 370 miles (600 km) from the state capital of Minas Gerais.

AFP

 

23-year-old Student Emerges First-ever Miss Wheelchair World

Miss Belarus Aleksandra Chichikova (C), winner of the Miss Wheelchair World contest beauty pageant, first runner-up Lebohang Monyatsi from South Africa (R) and second runner-up Adriana Zawadzinska of Poland react after the award in Warsaw. PHOTO: WOJTEK RADWANSKI / AFP

A psychology student from Belarus, Aleksandra Chichikova, has won Miss Wheelchair World in the first-ever edition of the beauty pageant held in Warsaw, Poland.

“Fight your anxiety and your fears,” the 23-year-old Chichikova said at a gala evening after the contestants had presented themselves in national costumes and evening dresses in elaborate choreographies.

Lebohang Monyatsi from South Africa was the runner-up ahead of Poland’s Adrianna Zawadzinska in the first contest of its kind on a global scale, which brought together 24 young women from 19 countries.

The goal of the contest was to “change the image of women in wheelchairs so they would not be judged solely by this attribute,” contest co-founder and jury president Katarzyna Wojtaszek-Ginalska told AFP

The pageant organised by the Poland-based Only One Foundation also seeks to show that a wheelchair is a luxury in many parts of the world, she added.

The contestants were chosen either in national rounds or, in countries with no such pageants, by non-governmental organisations addressed by the Polish foundation.

“It is not the looks that matter the most,” said Wojtaszek-Ginalska, who is also confined to a wheelchair.

“Of course, a good look counts but we have focused especially on the personality of the girls, their everyday activities, their involvement, social life, plans,” she added.

The contestants spent eight days in the Polish capital, busy with rehearsals, photo sessions, conferences, and visits.

The inaugural Miss Wheelchair World attracted contestants from Angola, Belarus, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Finland, France, Guatemala, India, Italy, Mexico, Moldova, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, South Africa, Ukraine and the United States.

Miss Belarus Aleksandra Chichikova (R), winner of the Miss Wheelchair World contest beauty pageant, adjusts her crown with the helping hand of second runner-up Adriana Zawadzinska of Poland after the award in Warsaw on October 7, 2017. PHOTO: WOJTEK RADWANSKI / AFP

AFP

Police Declare Varsity Student Missing In Ekiti

Police Question Man Over Ogoni Food PoisoningA 200 level student of Ekiti State University (EKSU), Adefunke Adewodun, has been declared missing by the Ekiti State Police Command.

Adefunke, a student of the Department of Theatre and Media Arts, was said to have come to her hostel in Osekita a couple of weeks ago, where she picked some of her belongings and left.

Mother of the missing girl, Mrs Rosaline Adewodun, said her daughter had called her twice from captivity, requesting that the family should pray for her safe return.

She told reporters that she saw Adefunke last on Sunday, 23 April, 2017 when she left Ondo after the first semester break, adding that efforts to trace her since then had proved fruitless.

“Funke called me in the night of Sunday that we should be praying for her. Again around 1pm on Monday, she called, saying we should not worry that she was okay. But insisted I would come to her school.

“She came to Ondo (town) where I stay for break and after then, she returned to school; that was 23 April. On Monday, she was said to have come to her hostel around 8am and left again.

“She has been missing for almost 20 days, I have been in Ado-Ekiti for four days looking for her everywhere. We have reported to the Police”, she lamented.

Confirming the incident to reporters on Monday in Ado Ekiti, spokesman for the Police Command, Alberto Adeyemi, noted that efforts are ongoing to unravel the whereabouts of the missing girl.

“It would be improper to say particularly what has happened to the girl, it is true the lady is missing.

“She was seen last entering her hostel room to pick some things and went out after returning from Ondo,” he said.

Police Charge 27 FUNAAB Students Over Violent Protest

FUNAAB, Police, Protest, Ogun, StateThe Ogun State Police Command has charged 27 students of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta over the violent protest which resulted in the destruction of at least 10 vehicles and attack on a church.

The students were arraign on a 6-count charge which include arson, malicious damage of property, unlawful assembly and rioting, at the Isabo Magistrate Court in the state capital, southwest Nigeria.

Delivering his judgement on Friday, Magistrate Oriyomi Sofowora ruled that the students could only be bailed after satisfying the bail conditions.

He stated the conditions to include two sureties of which one must be a parent and a resident in Ogun State while the other must have property worth 100,000 Naira.

The President of the National Association of Nigerian Students, Ogun State chapter,  Seun Opaleye, said the accused were arraigned after seven of the 34 earlier arrested were found not culpable by the Police.

A drama ensued when one of the students, who was taken out of the Black Maria vehicle, expected to convey them to the Ibara Prison fainted.

This drew sympathy from on-lookers who alleged that the victim was not given the necessary attention he deserved at that moment.

Meanwhile, the Special Assistant to Governor Ibikunle Amosun on Youths, Mr Clement Olusegun, faulted the claims that one of the students was shot in the head by the Police, saying he witnessed the incident.

The injured student was said to have been discharged from the Federal Medical Centre in Abeokuta, where he was taken to after the incident.

He had since been transferred to the University College Hospital in Ibadan, the Oyo State’s capital.

Students Accuse Nigerian Navy Of Lying

The Federal College of Fisheries and Marine Technologies has accused a Naval Rating officer with the Nigerian Navy of shooting two students of the college and denied that some students paraded by the Navy on Thursday for impersonating naval officers are students of the college.

The Navy paraded some students whom it accused of impersonating Naval officers, claiming they are students of the Federal College of Fisheries and Marine Technologies but the students and school authority are accusing the Navy of a cover up for the alleged shooting of two of their colleagues.

Some Naval Ratings were alleged to have shot at some of the students following an argument.

The Navy has however announced an inquest into the shooting incident.

Channels Television visited some of the students in the hospital where they have undergone surgery for gunshots as well as the college. 

£1 million lottery scam: Man jailed for 30 months

Farrakh Nizzar a shop worker has been jailed for 2 years and 6 months for trying to defraud a couple of their £1 million lottery ticket.

When the pensioner couple asked Farrakh Nizzar who is 30 years old and an illegal over-stayer in the United Kingdom the state of their ticket and their ticket which is the EuroMillions ticket was not a winning ticket and asked if they wanted the ticket back.

The Holts’ told Nizzar afterwards to thrash the ticket since its worthless but after the couples left, Nizzar took the ticket scanned it at a cousin’s Best One shop in Oldham Greater Manchester where he also works and he was told by the terminal to tell the holders of the ticket to contact Camelot.

Rather than do just that, Nizzar who is now facing deportation back to his home country of Pakistan kept the ticket and later called the lottery company himself in an attempt to keep the prize. But the firm became suspicious when he was unable to answer questions about the winning ticket.

Nizzar came to the UK in 2007 on a student visa and completed a postgraduate diploma in business studies. But his student visa ran out, he was refused leave to remain in the UK and exhausted all his rights to appeal.

Camelot began investigation with the aid of a CCTV, the Tesco Clubcard belonging to Mr.Holt to trace the original owners of the ticket and the Holts’ were united with their £1 million prize.

Nizzar bowed his head and made no reaction as he was jailed at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester after he pleaded guilty last month to one charge of fraud by false representation which was committed on May 31 this year and has since written a letter of apology to Mr and Mrs Holt.