Double Suicide Blasts Wound Nine In Tunisia Capital

Tunisian security forces gather at the site of an attack in the Tunisian capital’s main Avenue Habib Bourguiba on June 27, 2019. Two suicide bombers attacked police and the national guard in the Tunisian capital, killing a police officer and wounding at least eight people including several civilians, the interior ministry said. PHOTO: FETHI BELAID / AFP

 

Two suicide bombers attacked police and the national guard in the Tunisian capital on Thursday, wounding at least nine people including several civilians, the interior ministry said.

One attack on the main street of Tunis wounded three civilians and two police personnel, the interior ministry said.

Body parts were strewn in the road around a police car on Habib Bourguiba avenue near the old city, according to an AFP correspondent.

“It was a suicide attack, which took place at 10:50” (0950 GMT), on Habib Bourguiba, Interior Ministry spokesman Sofiene Zaag told AFP.

The suicide bomber did not kill anyone “but five (are) wounded — three civilians and two police officers”, Zaag added.

The second attack targeted a base of the national guard in the capital and wounded four security personnel, the ministry said.

“At 11:00 am (1000 GMT) an individual blew himself up outside the back door” of the base, wounding four security personnel, Zaag said.

Civil protection units and police rapidly deployed to Habib Bourguiba avenue, where the interior ministry is located.

People initially fled in panic, before some crowded around the scene of the attack, expressing anger against the authorities. Shops and offices were closed by police.

On October 29 last year an unemployed graduate blew herself up near police cars on the same street, killing herself and wounding 26 people, mostly police officers, according to the interior ministry.

AFP

Three Jihadists Blow Themselves Up In Northern Iraq: Army

A picture taken on March 23, 2019 shows the Islamic State group’s last bastion in the eastern Syrian village of Baghuz after the defeat of the jihadist group.
GIUSEPPE CACACE / AFP

 

Three suspected Islamic State group suicide bombers blew themselves up Sunday in northern Iraq, the army said, a day after the jihadists’ “caliphate” was wiped out in neighbouring Syria.

Army spokesman Yahya Rassoul said the incident took place in a region near the Syrian border, where jihadist sleeper cells are believed to be present.

He said the suspects died as troops surrounded them but there were no casualties among government forces.

READ ALSO: Israel Strikes Gaza After Border Bombs

Local officials said the suspects were killed as they were trying to attack troops in the village of Qayrawan, south of the mountainous region of Sinjar which borders Syria.

Fighters of the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces on Saturday pronounced the death of the nearly five-year-old IS “caliphate” which once stretched across a vast swathe of Syria and Iraq.

Their victory was hailed as a major landmark in the battle against the jihadists but there have also been numerous calls for “vigilance” with many saying the fight is far from over.

Top SDF commander Mazloum Kobane on Saturday warned that a new phase had begun in anti-IS operations and appealed for sustained assistance from the US-led coalition to help smash “sleeper cells”.

Diehard jihadists continue to have a presence in mountainous or desert regions between Syria and Iraq, which had declared victory over IS in December 2017.

In Iraq some of these regions remain inaccessible to security forces.

AFP

Two Suicide Bombers Killed In Adamawa

Military Repels Boko Haram Attack In Adamawa

 

Two suicide bombers have been killed in an attempt to infiltrate St. Pius Catholic Church In Shuwa, Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa, thereby detonating themselves in the process.

The Bishop of Yola Diocese, Dami Mamza who confirmed the incident to Channels Television on Sunday said the suspected Boko Haram members aimed at gaining access into the Church while the morning mass was in progress but God’s intervention saved the day.

The Catholic Bishop said the vigilant cadet boys on patrol around the vicinity prevented the bombers from gaining entry thereby forcing the explosives to detonate before getting to their target.

He said only a grandmother and her grandson were slightly affected by the explosion but did not sustain any injury.

READ ALSOKano PDP Governorship Candidate Escapes Mob Attack

Mamza who doubles as Chairman of Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), in the state commended the military for their quick response.

According to him, the military personnel arrived the scene within minutes of the attack and have since cordoned off the area to recover some undetonated explosives devices in the area.

About 1500 worshippers are said to be attending the morning mass when the incidence occurred.

Shuwa village which is about 30 minutes drive to the Sambisa stronghold of the outlawed Islamic sect, has witnessed a series of Boko Haram incursions in recent times.

The Police Public Relations Officer of the Adamawa Command, however, informed Channels Television that though the police are aware of the attack but are yet to be officially briefed.

Four Killed In Attack On Afghan Security Forces In Kabul

File photo: Afghan medical staff members with stretchers wait outside a hospital of the Italian aid organisation ‘Emergency’ in Kabul on November 12, 2018.WAKIL KOHSAR / AFP

 

At least four people were killed and another six injured after a suicide bomber targeted a convoy of security forces in Kabul early Tuesday, officials said, in the latest bloody Taliban-claimed attack in the Afghan capital.

The blast took place in Paghman district in western Kabul as the convoy was returning from an overnight operation, interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish told AFP.

“It is still not clear whether the attacker was on foot or driving a vehicle,” the spokesman added.

Another security official requesting anonymity said the assailant had used a car bomb to target the convoy.

Attacks on Afghan forces by the Taliban and the Islamic State group have been inflicting record-high casualties on security personnel this year.

Afghan security forces, beset by killings and desertions, have been struggling to beat back insurgents since US-led NATO mostly left them on their own three years ago.

In November President Ashraf Ghani said nearly 30,000 Afghan soldiers and police officers have been killed since 2015 — a figure far higher than anything previously acknowledged.

Earlier this month, Lieutenant General Kenneth McKenzie – who has been nominated to lead the US military’s Central Command – said the death rate among Afghan forces will no longer be sustainable unless urgent measures are taken to address recruiting and training issues.

The early morning attack in Kabul came just hours after an overnight assault on a checkpoint in Arghistan district of southern Kandahar province by Taliban fighters killed at least eight Afghan police officers according to the provincial media office.

“The fighting lasted several hours, eleven Taliban were also killed,” the office added.

The uptick in violence comes as Washington continues to press for a negotiated end to the 17-year conflict.

US envoy Zalmay Khalilzad — who is currently canvassing the region to rustle up support for potential peace talks – expressed hopes that a deal to end the war could be struck before the Afghan presidential election scheduled for April

Suicide Bombers Kill Nine In Niger

Suicide Bomber Reportedly Kills Six In Borno
File photo of a suicide bomb vest.

 

Nine people were killed in three suicide bombings in southeastern Niger near the border with Nigeria, a local official said on Tuesday.

The attacks occurred late Monday in the regional capital of Diffa, a frequent target of the Boko Haram jihadist group, the official, who asked not to be identified, told AFP.

He said, “two young women and a man” blew themselves up in different parts of the city, adding that an Islamic school in a busy area was one of the targets.

“For the moment there are nine dead, and many wounded,” he said.

Security forces have cordoned off the sites and are carrying out search operations throughout the city, a security source said.

READ ALSO: Kidnappers Of Delta Traditional Ruler Demand N15m Ransom

According to accounts on social media, three explosions were heard at around 10 p.m. on Monday in Diffa Koura, an old district of the city.

The attacks came as Niger President Mahamadou Issoufou arrived Paris for an official visit on Monday. He is to proceed to Brussels on Tuesday.

Diffa region, since February 2015, has suffered numerous attacks by Boko Haram fighters across the border in northeast Nigeria.

In late April, Niamey announced a military operation against Boko Haram in the region of Lake Chad, which links Niger, Chad, Nigeria and Cameroon.

The group, which is seeking an Islamic state based on Sharia law, has caused the deaths of at least 20,000 people since it took up arms in 2009 in Nigeria.

AFP

Suicide Bombers Strike Maiduguri Community, Again

Cholera Outbreak Kills Three Persons In Borno

 

 

Four suicide bombers on Thursday night, struck Mairanti, a village near Maiduguri.

An explosion was heard at about 10:00 pm when most residents were indoors, but no casualties were recorded except the bombers. However, seven persons were injured.

The northeast coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) Bashir Garga, confirmed the incident to Channels Television.

According to him, there could be a high infiltration of suicide bombers in the city hence, he advised residents to be extra vigilant.

Mairanti is located around Molai axis of the state capital, which has been a constant target for attacks in recent times.

In April, nine persons were killed including two police officers who were injured when suspected Boko Haram insurgents attacked Jiddari Polo area of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Two Suicide Bombers Killed In Borno Foiled Attack

Two Suicide Bombers Killed In Borno Foiled Attack

 

Two Female suicide bombers were killed on Wednesday night in an attempt to attack a military formation in Alikaramanti area in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

The attackers were intercepted by the soldiers on duty in the area after Giwa Barracks before they hurriedly detonated the Improvised Explosive Device strapped to their bodies.

READ ALSO: Boko Haram Not Totally Defeated, But Terribly Degraded – Presidency

Channels Television gathered that no other person was killed in the foiled attack but at least six persons were injured.

Confirming the attack in a statement on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer Mr Joseph Kwaji said operatives of the EOD team have rendered the area safe.

He added that the corpses and injured victims have been evacuated to the hospital while normalcy has since been restored in the area.

The latest attack comes a few hours after President Muhammadu Buhari stopped over in Maiduguri, before proceeding to Yobe State where he met with the parents of the abducted Dapchi schoolgirls.

Boko Haram terrorists have continued to carry out series of attacks in the North East, although the Federal Government maintained that the insurgents have been terribly defeated.

On February 19, members of the outlawed group invaded the Government Girls Science Technical College (GGSTC), Dapchi, leaving 110 students unaccounted for.

President Buhari had, however, given an assurance that the Federal Government would not rest until all the students, as well as the remaining Chibok schoolgirls in the Boko Haram custody, are released and reunited with their families.

He had also sympathised with the families of those whose children were abducted by the insurgents and informed them that he had ordered the service chiefs to brief him on daily basis on the progress made to ensure their release.

12 Killed, 48 Injured In Maiduguri Market Attack

12 Feared Killed As Suicide Bombers Attack Maiduguri Market

At least 12 people were feared killed on Wednesday as two suicide bombers attacked a market in Muna Garage in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

The Civilian JTF operating in the area confirmed the incident to Channels Television, saying 48 persons were injured during the attack.

The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Damian Chukwu, who was at the scene, also confirmed the death of 12 persons, including the two male bombers who carried out the attack.

Officials of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and that of the Red Cross Society have arrived at the scene.

According to a statement issued by the information officer of NEMA North East Zone, Mr Abdulkadir Ibrahim, the injured victims were given first aid treatment and transported to the hospitals.

At Least Five Killed In Suicide Attack On Pakistan Church

Pakistani security personnel rescue an injured woman after suicide bombers attacked a Methodist Church during a Sunday service in Quetta. Photo: BANARAS KHAN / AFP

At least five people were killed and 15 wounded when two suicide bombers attacked a church in Pakistan during a service Sunday, just over a week before Christmas, police said.

The attack took place at the Methodist Church in the restive southwestern city of Quetta in Balochistan province.

Senior city police official Abdul Razzaq Cheema gave the toll, which was confirmed by Balochistan home minister Sarfraz Bugti.

Bugti said police intercepted and shot one bomber outside but the second attacker managed to reach the church’s main door where he blew himself up.

The minister said about 250 people usually attend the church on Sundays, but attendance had swelled because it was close to Christmas.

Balochistan province, which borders Iran and Afghanistan, is Pakistan’s most restive region — ravaged by Islamist militancy, sectarian violence and a separatist insurgency.

AFP

Suicide Bombers Kill One, Injure Four In Borno

Suicide Bombers Kill One, Injure Four In Borno

One person was killed while four others were injured during the multiple suicide attacks on a village in Borno State.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Borno State Command, Mr Isuku Victor, confirmed this in a statement issued by him hours after the attacks took place.

Mr Victor said there were two attacks in which no casualty was recorded in the first while the mother of the deceased was among those who were injured.

H said: “In the wee hours of today, November 18, two female suicide bombers detonated their IED vests in the outskirt of Alakaramtii village in Jere Local Government Area, killing themselves alone.

“Then at about 0650hrs, two other teenage female suicide bombers infiltrated Alakaramtii village. One of them hurriedly detonated her IED vest killing herself, her partner and an innocent boy while four others including the mother of the innocent boy, sustained injuries.”

The Command’s spokesman said the corpses have been evacuated to University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital while the injure are also receiving treatment at the same facility.

He said the Police EOD team promptly rendered safe the unexploded IED vests and sanitised the area, adding that normalcy has since been restored to the village.

Eight Injured As Suicide Bombers Invade Maiduguri Farm

Four female suicide bombers on Tuesday, November 7 attempted to infiltrate Maiduguri township through a farmland behind the parapet in London Sudan of Kaleri area, Jere Local Government Area.

This was made known by the Commissioner of Police in Borno State, Damian Chukwu in a statement on Tuesday, November 7.

Chukwu said one of the suicide bombers detonated her bomb vest when she sighted security personnel.

“On sighting the joint security personnel deployed along the parapet, the first bomber was reported to have hurriedly detonated her suicide vest killing herself and a second suicide bomber in the farmland.

“As a result of the explosion, farmers who were running back to the town were stopped and screened at the entry point through the parapet by security personnel.”

He explained further that the third female suicide bomber, however sneaked into a group of people, denotated her suicide vest and injured eight people in the process.

“In the process, a third female bomber sneaked into the group of persons being screened and detonated her suicide vest, killing herself alone while eight others including a member of civilian Jtf, sustained various degrees of injuries.

“In the ensuing stampede, a fourth suicide bomber was sighted by vigilant security personnel while trying to cross the parapet, and was gunned down

“Her unexploded suicide vest and that of the second suicide bomber were rendered safe, and the area sanitized by police EOD team who were mobilized to the scene.

“The injured were evacuated to University of Maiduguri teaching hospital and are responding to treatment, while normalcy has since been restored to the area,” Chukwu said.

Suicide Bombers Die In Failed Attack On Adamawa Village

Adamawa Assembly Replaces Deputy Speaker, Principal Officers

Two female suicide bombers have died after detonating improvised explosives strapped to their bodies in Dar village near Gulak, the administrative headquarters of Madagali Local Government Area of Adamawa State.

Channels Television gathered that the first explosion occurred about 8:00pm on Saturday while the second went off at about 7:30am today (Sunday), suspected to have targeted a church.

READ ALSO: Army Repels Boko Haram Attack In Yobe

A woman with an eight-month-old baby on her back was reportedly hit by the second explosion and is said to have lost an eye while her baby sustained minor injuries but both are receiving medical attention at a hospital.

Chairman of Madagali Local Government Council, Mr Mohammed Yusuf, who spoke in an interview with Channels Television in Yola, noted that the operation of the military in Sambisa was pushing the terrorists into communities and called on the people to be more vigilant.

The explosions in Adamawa came hours after troops of the Nigerian Army repelled an attack by suspected Boko Haram terrorists on Goneri community in Yobe State, North-East Nigeria.

However, the spokesman for the Three Division of the Nigerian Army, Colonel Kayode Ogunsoya, who confirmed the attack, did not give any casualty figures.

The attack in Yobe also came three days after the terrorists carried out a coordinated attack on a military outpost in Sasawa town of Damaturu LGA, also in the state.

Large numbers of displaced residents have been returning to Goneri following the relative peace the agrarian community has enjoyed.

Residents have commended the timely response of security forces to Saturday’s attack.