Advertisement

Fire guts the National Assembly complex

Channels Television  
Updated March 22, 2012

Fire broke out on Thursday at the complex of the National Assembly, Abuja for the second time this year.

Witnesses say the fire, which was immediately extinguished, began at the complex of the National Assembly did not affect the building where the nation’s House of Representatives and Senate meet.

It was not immediately clear if there were any injuries.

A Fire Service Director of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Sani Saidu, said the incident was caused by power fluctuation.

A fire broke out at the complex on 14 January. It was blamed on a malfunctioning air conditioner.

Electrical fires are common in Nigeria, as electricity supply from the Power Holding Company (PHCN) surges and wanes, unable to provide light to the country of more than 160 million people. Those who can afford it rely on generators for power.












Advertisement