UN Calls For Release Of Aid Workers Abducted In Borno
The United Nations has called for the release of its aid workers abducted in Kalabalge Local Government Area of Rann, Borno State, earlier this year.
The UN Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, said the aid workers were abducted in March 2018.
Kallon called for the release of the abducted workers on Friday, during a news conference with Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima marking this year’s World Humanitarian Day.
He also condemned the attack on humanitarian workers in the northeast region, which he said claimed the lives of three workers while the three aid workers abducted in Rann remain in captivity.
“The United Nations condemns the killing and abduction of aid workers and urges parties to the conflict to enable the work of humanitarian workers and facilitate their access to people in line with the international humanitarian law.
“United Nations also calls for the release of aid workers who have been abducted in Northeast Nigeria. I call on Nigerian leaders to do everything in their power to protect the people caught up in conflict,” Kallon said.
The Borno State Governor, on his part, said the state government recognises the support of the UN in tackling the humanitarian crisis in the state especially in the areas of acute malnutrition in children.