Insurgents Kidnap 14 Persons In Borno

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

Fourteen people, including two Red Cross workers and an army sergeant, have been kidnapped in Borno State.

According to two security sources, the group was intercepted by fighters from the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) on Wednesday night.

“Terrorists from ISWAP set up a roadblock on a road between Maiduguri and Damaturu yesterday… and took 14 people,” one security source said.

“Among the kidnap victims are an army sergeant and his family and two Red Cross staff who were also taken.”

A second security source confirmed the kidnapping of the soldier and the Red Cross workers.

The two are the latest aid workers snatched by insurgents in the region, where the army has been fighting for about a decade.

ISWAP is a Boko Haram splinter faction that swore allegiance to Islamic State in 2016. It has carried out numerous attacks on civilians.

In a statement, the group claimed that six soldiers and eight civilians, including two Red Cross workers, were among those kidnapped.

A representative of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), contacted by telephone, said the organisation was not able to confirm whether they were employees of the local Red Cross or the ICRC.

They were still making checks on Thursday.

Six Nigerian aid workers — one woman and five men — were seized in July by ISWAP jihadists during an ambush on their convoy close to the border with Niger.

Action Against Hunger (ACF) charity said in September that militants had killed one of the six. But the group did not identify the victim.

ISWAP had previously released a video following the abduction of the female ACF staff member in which she pleaded for the release of the hostages with her, five male colleagues behind her.

The decade-long insurgency in the country has killed 35,000 people and displaced about two million from their homes especially in the northeast region.

Five Insurgents Die As Troops Repel Multiple Attacks In Borno

A Photo combination of destroyed Boko Haram Vehicle.

 

Five Boko Haram members have died in successive attacks on troops of 64 and 98 Task Force Battalions and elements of the Armed Forces Special Forces Battalion at Malam Fatori in Abadam LGA of Borno State.

The attacks launched on November 13 and 15, 2019 by Boko Haram members, were repelled by the troops who outgunned the insurgents.

In a statement by the Nigerian Army Operations Media Coordinator, Colonel Aminu Iliyasu, the first of the attacks on troops of Mallam Fatori was an attempt to infiltrate the military formation.

“On 13th November 2019, some marauding Boko Haram criminal elements attempted to infiltrate the troops’ location by launching an unsuccessful attack with Person Borne Improvised Explosive Devices (PBIEDs), Gun Trucks, Rocket Propelled Guns and other small arms but were decisively annihilated, having been made to suffer very high casualties in both men and equipment.”

READ ALSO: Buhari Speaks About Sacking Of Osinbajo’s Aides, Insists It Is Not Political

He added that the insurgents launched another attack on the troops less than 24 hours and was countered by the troops, which led to the eventual death of five.

“Within less than 24 hours of their devastating defeat, however, the outgunned criminal insurgents launched another desperate attack on the highly spirited troops of Mallam Fatori in the wee hours of 15 November 2019.

“In their swift and highly coordinated response, the gallant and relentless troops at the location once again brought their resilience, bold action and superior firepower/lethality to bear on the criminal insurgents as they handed them another crushing defeat. At the end of this particular encounter, one Boko Haram Gun Truck was completely burnt along with 3 of the criminal insurgents that were trapped in it.

“Apparently, the vehicle was gutted by fire as a result of the high volume of fire delivered by the troops. Furthermore, 2 of the Boko Haram criminal elements were equally neutralised during the ensuing gun battle between the troops and the criminal insurgents,” he stated.

Some of the equipment recovered from the attacks by the insurgents include one Anti-Aircraft Gun, one Anti-Aircraft Gun barrel, eight AK 47 Riffles.

Others are: one Rocket Propelled Gun tube, three AK 47 magazines, one bandolier, two rounds of Anti-Aircraft Gun ammunition and one Rocket Propelled Grenade bomb.

Colonel Iliyasu revealed that two soldiers sustained gunshot wounds when the Air Task Force, Operation Lafiya Dole went on the trail of other insurgents.

He intimated that both men have been stabilized and are receiving treatment at a military hospital.

Shops, Property Destroyed As Fire Guts Market In Maiduguri

 

Several shops and properties have been destroyed following a fire outbreak at a market in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, at the market popularly known as Jagwol and as a hub for GSM traders and artisans.

Although the cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained, witnesses say that it started from one of the shops and spread to other clustered shops around.

See photos below.

Fire Razes GSM Market In Maiduguri

Numerous properties and shops were destroyed following a fire at the GSM market in Maiduguri, Borno State capital.

The market which is popularly known as Jagwol is located at the Post Office area of the Maiduguri metropolis. It is a hub for GSM traders and artisans and the biggest computer village in the city.

The incident occurred on Thursday night, hours after the traders had closed for the day’s business.

READ ALSO: FG Vows To Address Ethno-Religious, Communal Clashes

Although the cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained, witnesses and sympathizers explained that it started from one of the shops and spread to other clustered shops around.

The fire was eventually put out by men of the Federal Fire service, but many properties were already destroyed.

Temitope David, an undergraduate of the University of Maiduguri who is also an artisan in the market said. “It was a big fire, we were very lucky it didn’t get to our shop but almost half of the market has been affected. Luckily there was no looting as the market was under lock and the security didn’t allow the crowd come close.”

Other traders however were not as lucky, as most of the affected shops were completely razed down.

The Borno State Government has constituted a committee to investigate and access the extent of the damage caused by the fire.

The state Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum who is away on an official trip  in Saudi Arabia, directed his chief of staff, Dr Babagana Wakil to assemble commissioners whose ministries relate to commerce, home affairs, poverty alleviation and jobs creation “to immediately assess impacts of Thursday night’s fire incident at the GSM market in Maiduguri and report to him today. “

This is contained in a statement issued by his Senior Media aid, Mr Isa Gusau.

According to the statement, “Zulum shares the pains of those whose means of livelihoods and assets were torched.”

Police Arrest High Profile Drug Dealers In Borno

 

The Borno State Police Command has said that 17 suspected high profile drug dealers have been arrested in a joint operation with operatives of Operation Puff Adder.

According to the commissioner of Police, Mohammed, the arrest was successful with the collaboration of indigenes.

“You can see the exhibit, the number of dry leaves suspected to be Indian hemp, suck and die in large quantity, hard drug Drazzapan, Shisha smoker pot that is being used nowadays to smoke the dry leaves as if it were the actual shisha smoking ingredients,” Ndatsu revealed.

Also paraded were suspected forgery syndicates, who according to The Police commissioner have been defrauding unsuspecting people offering them fake appointments in government agencies.

Fake Appointment letters bearing NNPC, NPS and other government agencies were recovered as exhibits from the alleged fraudsters.

“We arrested forgers and cheaters who specialize in issuing fake appointment letters and collecting a huge sum of money. Some were gotten with fake NIPOST, NNPC appointment letters. Francis Josiah, Gideon Ndanga 32 years are from Borno State.”

Army Dismisses Three Soldiers Over Alleged Kidnapping, Armed Robbery

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
File photo

 

The Nigerian Army has dismissed three soldiers for their alleged involvement in kidnapping, armed robbery and cultism in Borno State.

Theatre Commander of the Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Olusegun Adeniyi, announced the dismissal on Sunday at the headquarters in Maimalari cantonment.

According to him, the three dismissed soldiers were arrested in a hotel in Maiduguri alongside 25 others, also alleged to be members of a notorious cult group terrorizing the state capital.

Adeniyi further explained that the arrest was made possible by a Joint Task Force including local hunters, the police, the NSCDC, DSS and the Army following a tip off.


RELATED

Boko Haram Terrorists Seeking Refuge In Homes Of Some Unscrupulous Individuals – Army

Army Accuses Action Against Hunger Of Aiding, Abetting Terrorists


Also speaking on the matter, the state Commissioner of Police, Aliyu Ndatsu, said the Force has found the suspects guilty of criminal conspiracy and unlawful assembly.

Some of the items recovered from them include mobile sets, ID cards, calabashes, water pots containing red contents believed to be human blood and a sticker with an inscription that suggests a cult group affiliation.

Boko Haram Terrorists Seeking Refuge In Homes Of Some Unscrupulous Individuals – Army

 

The Nigerian Army says some Boko Haram Terrorists are currently seeking refuge in the homes of some individuals in parts of Borno and Yobe State.

According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Acting Director Army Public Relations Operation Lafiya Dole, Colonel Ado Isa, the development is a result of the military’s unrelenting onslaught on the BHT/ISWAP hideouts, along the Lake Chad region and Northern Borno.

Consequently, the command says it received information that the fleeing criminals are seeking refuge in homes of “some unscrupulous individuals”.

“These fugitives have been escaping and taking refuge in the residence of some persons in Maiduguri, Damboa, Gajiram, Monguno, Damasak, Biu, Gwoza Dikwa, Benisheikh, Ngamdu, Bama, Gamboru, Konduga, Gajigana and other smaller towns all in Borno State. Others, have also run to Damaturu, Gujba, Buni Yadi, Buni Gari, Gashua, Kanamma, Yususufari, Goniri and Kukareta towns in Yobe State, among others,” the statement read in part.

Colonel Isa, therefore, called on those who are said to be harbouring the criminals to report them to the army.

“While we are making concerted efforts to trace and fish out the fleeing criminals, it is important to inform and warn all those harbouring the fleeing fugitives to report or hand them to the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole immediately.

“Failure to do that would attract severe consequences.

“The Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole wishes to enjoin all well-meaning Nigerians, especially those residing in aforementioned areas, to report any suspicious and strange faces in their communities,” the statement read.

Action Against Hunger Calls On Authorities To Allow Continuation Of Humanitarian Work

File Photo: IDPs in the northeast.

 

Global humanitarian aid provider, Action Against Hunger has called on relevant authorities to allow them to continue their humanitarian work in the northeast.

The Nigerian Army had accused the group of aiding and abetting terrorists despite several warnings to desist from the act.

In a statement issued by the Deputy Director Army Public relations of Operation Lafia Dole, Col. Ado Isa, the Force claimed that the command had obtained several credible intelligence, indicting the group as one of those NGOs operating in the northeast, notorious for supplying food and drugs to criminals in the area.

Consequently, the army declared the group a persona non grata.

In response, the AAH said it did not receive prior notice or explanation for the action and therefore, it had to halt the assistance it provides to millions of people in Maiduguri, Monguno and Damasak with immediate effect.

It, however, maintained that it delivers neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian aid to millions of people in Borno State by providing basic services to the most vulnerable people, especially women and children.

Read Also: Army Accuses Action Against Hunger Of Aiding, Abetting Terrorists

On July 25, a video surfaced on the social media showing four aid workers with Action Against Hunger who said they had been kidnapped by ISWAP terrorists since July 18.

One of the victims who identified herself as Grace pleaded with the government and the Christian Association of Nigeria to come to their aid and secure their release from their captors.

Since then, nothing has been heard about the whereabouts of the said aid workers, neither has anyone confirmed their release or spoken about any form of negotiation.

Boko Haram Destroys 73 Households, 28 Shops In Borno Villages

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

The Borno state emergency management agency has confirmed that a total of 73 households and ‎28 shops were set ablaze by Boko Haram insurgents in three villages of Konduga local government area following an attack on Thursday night.

SEMA briefed Governor Babagana Umara-Zulum who undertook an impact assessment visit to the affected villages in Konduga.

Zulum returned to Maiduguri on Friday night, after a one-on-one security meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari at the presidential villa.

READ ALSO: Army Burns Vehicles Containing Fish Allegedly Belonging To Boko Haram

In Borri, one of the three villages torched by the insurgents, Professor Zulum was informed by SEMA Chairman, Yabawa Kolo that around 8pm of August 22, the insurgents attacked and set ablaze 17 households and 4 shops and in Wanori village, 34 households and 18 shops were also set ablaze while 22 households and 6 shops were torched in Kaleri-Abdule village.

The figures added up to 73 households and 28 shops, the agency’s boss said.

The Governor went round to see things before meeting residents and community leaders affected ‎by the attack.

Zulum promised immediate reconstruction of homes. Modern houses will replace those destroyed, he said.

Governor Zulum also held discussions with youth volunteers under the Civilian JTF who help with community policing, pledging to provide two patrol vehicles.

Troops Repel Terrorist Attack On Borno Communities

New Salary Scale Has Not Been Approved For Armed Forces – DHQ
File Photo

 

The Nigerian Army says it has repelled a terrorist attack on two communities (Gubio and Magumeri) in Borno State.

According to a statement by the Deputy Director Army Public Relations, 7 Division, Ado Isa (Colonel), the terrorists had targeted the army who were deployed to the areas to enable them gain access to shops in the market so that they could loot food and other items.

The attack was, however, repelled by the troops and the terrorists were forced to withdraw from the town following a fierce gun battle.

In the process, some buildings and property were destroyed, while a vigilante lost his life.

READ ALSO: One Killed, Many Injured As Troops Clash With Insurgents – Army

Some civilians in the area were also reported to have sustained various degrees of injuries.

The Force, however, says peace has been restored in the communities.

They, therefore, called on all well-meaning members of the public to collaborate with the military and other security agencies to curb crime.

NSCDC Deploys “Agro Rangers” In Borno State

 

Borno State Government in partnership with the NSCDC has launched a special squad named “Agro Rangers” to give Protection to farming communities constantly harassed by insurgents.

The Team consists of 75 personnel of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defense Corps, 120 Civilian Joint Task Force members as well as local hunters and vigilantes.

The constitution of this team is expected to give farmers the necessary cover with a view to boosting the food reserve of the state.

 

Aside trans-border commerce, farming is the major trade of the people of Borno State before the emergence of the Boko Haram crisis.

The nearly ten year long insurgency has reduced the people from the farming communities to displaced persons, living in make shift shelter living on handouts from humanitarian agencies.

Over the years farmers in resettled communities who have dared to return to the farm have been attacked, with many losing their lives and yields to insurgents who wait for the harvest season to attack.

The “Agro Rangers” Squad would now give farmers security cover, ending the embargo on farmers before now restricted from going beyond two kilometers from the local settlement.

Borno is the first state to benefit from the NSCDC Agro Rangers squad put together to mitigate the farmers/herders clashes common during farming seasons.

Personnel of the NSCDC trained specifically for this purpose are being supported with equipment and operational vans by the state government.

The people are hopeful that this special squad will boost the confidence and resilience of the local people and also bring to an end the frequent harassment of innocent farmers trying to settle down to normal lives in liberated towns.

Three Injured As Masked Men Attack Farmers In Borno

Air Force Officer Dismissed For Raping 14-Year-Old IDP

 

Three farmers have survived an attack carried out by masked men, believed to be insurgents.

They were attacked with matchets in their farms near Dalori IDP camp on Friday evening.

The injured farmers were later rushed to the Maiduguri Specialist Hospital where they are currently receiving treatment.

The Director Rescue Operations of the Borno State Emergency Management Agency Bello Dambatta confirmed the attack but assured that all three farmers are in stable condition.

READ ALSO: Two Feared Killed In Fresh Boko Haram Attack On Borno IDP Camp

The attack is a sequel to another right inside the Dalori IDP camp on Thursday night after the insurgents sacked and set ablaze military outposts around the camp.

They reportedly rode freely on bikes inside the camp where they looted food shooting sporadically throwing displaced persons and residents of the area including the University of Maiduguri community in panic.

Dambatta confirms that two persons were killed in the ensuing panic and pandemonium with many of the IDPs fleeing the camp.

It took a reenforcement from the 7 Division supported by the police Special Anti Robbery Squad to push the insurgents back.