The outlaws also set ablaze a Hilux vehicle belonging to the Nigerian Police.
The bandits then killed eight persons in Kalahe community, a village between Sabon Gari Damri and Damri town
According to Suleiman, the bandits attacked a healthcare facility in Damri town and killed some patients who were receiving treatment in the hospital.
“The bandits in their large number were on motorcycles with three persons on each motorcycle first attacked Sabon Gari Damri and killed four people,” he said.
“Gradually they entered Damri town, burnt one Hilux vehicle belonging to the Nigerian Police, they killed one Police officer also and one Civil Defence officer.”
According to the Council Boss, the military engaged the bandits in Damri community in a fierce gun battle which forced the bandits to retreat back to Sabon Gari Damri and kill 26 persons.
“Military personnels entered the town and exchange fire and forced the bandits to move back to Sabon Gari Damri, after killing nine people at the village, they went back and killed about twenty-one people.”
Suleiman confirmed that a total of 48 people were killed during the attacks.
Police authorities in the state are yet to comment on the latest attack.
The police in Zamfara State on Friday said it had arrested a leader of an outlawed group, Yansakai, in Zamfara State.
According to the a statement signed by police spokesperson Mohammed Shehu, the arrest was in connection to a case of culpable homicide and inciting disturbance in Tungar Dutsi village, Bukkuyum local government area.
“On 3rd May, 2022, DPO Bukkuyum Division responded to a distress call from Tungar Dutsi Community in Gana district of Bukkuyum LGA. That some members of the outlawed group popularly known as “Yansakai” from Tungar Bido Village led by its notorious leader Bala Minister, invaded Tungar Dutsi village armed with locally made guns/other dangerous weapons in the name of Sallah Celebration and started shooting sporadically, causing panic and fear within the community,” the statement said.
“When some members of community cautioned them against the sporadic shooting, the outlawed group members escalated their nefarious action to attacking people with cutlass, knives and other dangerous weapons. As a result of which one Surajo Alhaji Ali, a 40 yrs old man was gruesomely killed by the outlawed group.
“The leader of the group was arrested by the Police, while others fled and escaped to unknown destination. In the course of interrogation, the suspect confessed to the offence and further mentioned the names of his collaborators now at large.
“Discreet investigation is in progress to further arrest his accomplices and charge them to court for prosecution.”
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Faruk Yahaya, has charged troops of the operation Hadarin Daji operating in the North-West region to eliminate, terrorists and all criminals element operating in the region.
Yahaya gave the charge in Sokoto on Tuesday where he had lunch with troops in Isa Local Government as part of Eid-El-Fitr celebration with the troops.
He had earlier performed the groundbreaking ceremony for the new Nigeria Army Forward Base Operating Base located in Isa local government area of Sokoto State.
The eastern flank of Sokoto State has been an epic centre for banditry activities that has caused the destruction of lives and property.
Military and other security agencies have been involved in many operations in the area that have helped in restoring normalcy in many communities affected by the activities of terrorists operating in the region.
But the army chief said there is the need for a forward operating base is necessary so as to bring closer the men and officers of the Army.
When completed, Yahaya stated that the the base will serve Isa, Sabon Birni local government areas and some part of Zamfara State.
According to him, Isa is strategic is the fight against terrorists and bandits operating in the region.
Yahaya also used the opportunity to pay a courtesy call on Sokoto state governor and the Sultan of Sokoto.
Zamfara State Government has arraigned the two deposed emirs at the State’s chief magistrate court.
The two monarchs have been arraigned on a five-count charge that borders on criminal conspiracy, withholding of evidence, illegal possession of property, alliance with bandits
They were arraigned at the Zamfara State chief Magistrate court 1 where the presiding Judge, Saadu Garba heard charges.
Counsels to the two emirs objected to the jurisdiction of the chief magistrate court to entertain the case citing law number 7 of Zamfara State 2019 that all persons who proclaim Islamic faith can not be tried at the magistrate court except Sharia court, hence the transfer of the matter to the upper Sharia Court 1.
The presiding Judge of the Upper Sharia 1, Samaru, Gusau, Justice Hadi Sani after listening to the application for bail by defending counsels, granted the two monarchs bails on health grounds, age, and considering the fact that they had been in detention for about 10 to 11 months.
The bail conditions are the two monarchs must produce three surety which must be a prominent businessman, renowned Islamic scholar, and senior civil Servant who have N100 million, they would remain in the State and they must seek the permission of the Court whenever they need to visit the hospital for medical attention.
The State Prosecutor Aliyu Alkali had objected to the bail application on the ground that the two traditional rulers have been arraigned in court over allegations of their involvement in banditry activities.
He said the law gave the court the jurisdiction to grant or decline bail therefore they have no problem with the bail granted to the two Zamfara State monarchs.
The lead counsel to the deposed emirs, Bello Usman, expressed satisfaction with the decision of the court to give the dethroned monarch bail given the fact that they have been in detention for about eleven months despite their health and age.
The new Commissioner of Police in Kaduna state, Yekini Ayoku has resumed duty with an assurance that officers and men of the command under his administration will restrategise to tackle banditry and other security challenges in the state.
Knowing the enormous task before him, the new Commissioner of Police shortly after his arrival in Kaduna state, took a tour of the Kaduna-Abuja highway with a view to restoring public confidence and assuring them of their safety throughout the state.
He also visited the scene of the recent train attack in Chikun Local Government Area to interact with the troops and also identify areas of improvement in order to forestall future attacks.
The new Commissioner of police, equally tasked officers to get themselves ready for the task ahead, warning that there will be no room for laxity under his watch, and that criminals must not be allowed a free operating space wherever they may be.
The Commissioner appealed to the residents of Kaduna state to extend their good hands of fellowship to his administration and also called for synergy among all the security agencies in the state.
The wives of slain soldiers alongside other women on Thursday stormed the residence of 223 Tank Battalion Commanding Officer to protest the killing of their husbands by suspected bandits in Kanya Village of Danko/Wassagu Local Government Area in Kebbi State.
Some of the protesting women dressed in black attires were holding sticks to protest the killing of the operatives while others took to burning tyres in front of the residence of the commanding officer.
In a video obtained by Channels Television, some soldiers were seen dragging out the women who had earlier gained access to the house, while those who wanted to gain access were prevented by the few soldiers around.
The commanding officer was in the company of the Kebbi state Deputy Governor, Colonel Samaila Yombe (rtd), who was in the area on an assessment visit.
Most of the protesting women lost their husbands when armed bandits stormed Kanya village on Tuesday and engaged the soldiers in a fierce gun battle that led to the death of some soldiers.
A military source told Channels Television that the General Officer Commanding of 8 Division, Major General Uwem Bassey is scheduled to visit the area to access the situation.
The Niger State Government has said that over 200 armed bandits were killed in a gun battle between members of the Joint Security Taskforce and bandits in the last four days in the state.
According to the State Commissioner for Local Government Chieftaincy Affairs and Internal Security, Emmanuel Umar, the bandits were killed in Kundu axis of Rafi and Babanlaba area of Mariga local governments and other parts of the state between Sunday and Wednesday.
The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai on Thursday said Nigeria must decisively deal with banditry and terrorism besetting the northwest through simultaneous ground and air attacks in all the states where the criminals have a presence.
He, however, stated that the fear of being dragged before the International Court of Justice (ICC) has prevented the military from engaging the bandits and permanently wiping them out.
Speaking during the weekly ministerial briefing at the State House, Governor El-Rufai revealed that the locations of the terrorists are known, and their communications regularly intercepted and as such can be wiped out inspite of the civilians instead of adopting a piecemeal approach to solving the security challenge.
According to him, banditry has become a multi-million naira business in the North West, which far outweighs the challenge of Boko Haram in the North East.
He regretted the lack of capacity of Nigeria’s security agencies in the areas of adequate personnel and equipment, and underlined the need to recruit more hands and procure sufficient hardware.
On politics, Governor El-Rufai disclosed that he has zero ambitions or aspirations, not even for the office of the Vice President. He said he was compelled by the President to be Governor of Kaduna State.
He further clarified that the zoning formula presented to the President involving a swap in positions (which the Governors agreed to), has nothing to do with the presidency yet.
He noted that they have simply sent a signal about the direction of zoning but the conversation on zoning of Presidency would only begin in earnest after the convention and primaries are held.
For now, he said discussions are that the Presidency is zoned to no particular place in the South.
According to him he will support any APC candidate from whichever region, as long as he has the right convictions. He however noted that he will ultimately follow the President’s choice of candidate.
The Governor also promised to sack more under-qualified secondary school teachers in the state as over 7,000 teachers have been employed to replace them before the year runs out.
According to him, a total of 40,000 civil servants have been hired in the last five years.
Governor Abubakar Bello of Niger State has reiterated the determination of his administration to end insurgency, banditry, kidnapping and other criminal vices in the state.
He made the declaration during a press briefing on Thursday at the government house in Minna, saying that the situation has remained a nightmare for the state government despite doing a lot.
The Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mary Noel-Berje, who spoke to journalists on behalf of the governor explained that the state in collaboration with the military and other security agencies are doing all it can in order to reverse the trend.
Mary further noted that the governor has supported the entire security apparatus with logistics and other welfare packages to achieve effective operation.
The governor who expressed worry over the high rate of humanitarian needs of the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), appealed to the Federal Government, corporate organisations, and donor agencies to join forces to ameliorate the plight of those affected.
Elkana said the state government, under the leadership of Governor Bello Matawalle, donated the sum to the families of the seven officers who died in the line of duties to reduce the hardship being faced by the families as a result of their demise.
He explained that the police officers paid the supreme price when gallantly fighting banditry activities in order to restore peace and order in the north-western state.
According to the police commissioner, the affected policemen were Jonah Markus, Solomon Abiri, Stephen Ishaya, Nura Ibrahim, Abdul Garba, Musa Lawal and Zubairu Sadiq.
The CP stated that the welfare of officers and men of the Nigerian Police Force is top in the priority of the Inspector General of Police, Alkali Baba, especially those who died while protecting the country from criminals and criminalities.
Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has asked the Federal Government to establish a theatre command within the Northwest to tackle the insurgency that has sprung in the region.
Speaking on Tuesday at the presentation of the state’s 2021 security report compiled by the Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, El-Rufai, expressed sadness at the escalation of violence in the state – especially within Zangon-Kataf.
The report, presented by the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, said that 1,192 people were killed while 3,348 others were kidnapped across the state in 2021, a development which the governor vehemently condemned.
While noting that as a sub-national, the state government has always used the limited tools available to it to address these dire times, El-Rufai urged the Federal Government to step in as a matter of urgency, by establishing a command within the northwestern region to tackle the menace.
“The Kaduna State government appeals to the Federal Government to create a Theatre Command similar to the situation in the Northeast to confront the insurgency that has clearly emerged in five states of the Northwest and Niger State with continuous and contiguous forest ranges.
“The creation of such a theatre command will enable a holistic approach to counter-insurgent operations across the six affected states and the enhanced coordination of the resources of the armed forces, the police, the SSS, our respective state vigilance services, hunters, and other local volunteers to fight the insurgents,” the governor explained.
He further stated that “the prerogatives of the state need to be asserted, not merely proclaimed. The people we put in uniform must never be placed in avoidable danger, outgunned, or outnumbered by non-state actors.
“It is when the terrorists are decimated that ‘soft’, non-kinetic peacebuilding will gain traction. While the security agencies keep trying their best, the peacemakers on the ground should not be discouraged. Peace is worth every effort, despite the setbacks encountered.
“We continue to emphasise that as a state government, we do not believe that there is any phenomenon like ‘repentant bandits’. Any person that makes a conscious decision to secure arms, challenges the authority of the Nigerian state, and threatens the lives and property of Nigerians does not deserve to live or be granted any concession by society.
“There are no immediate or remote causes to justify terrorist conduct. Those that hide behind these are either ethnic jingoists, religious apologists, or fail to recognise that no legitimate government can survive by tolerating terrorists or negotiating with those that menace law-abiding citizens.
“As we digest these sad statistics, we pray for the repose of the souls of those killed, pay tribute to the victims of various crimes, reiterate our solidarity with them, and reaffirm our resolve to continue to protect our people, and stop the criminals.”
El-Rufai sympathised with the communities affected by various attacks in the state, especially those within Zangon-Kataf, which the governor said appears to be rapidly spilling into the Chawai part of Kauru Local Council.
He stressed that this outbreak of violence is a serious challenge to the community-level peace process initiated by the Agwam of Zangon Kataf and community leaders in the area.
The governor further stated that while the security agencies keep trying their best, the peacemakers on the ground should not be discouraged, adding that peace is worth every effort despite the setbacks encountered.
Governor El-Rufai in asserting his position as regards the idea of “repentant bandits”, said he does not believe in such ideology.
He maintained that any person that makes a conscious decision to secure arms, challenges the authority of the Nigerian state, and threatens the lives and property of Nigerians does not deserve to live or be granted any concession by society.
The Kaduna State Government on Tuesday released a security report, saying 1,192 lost their lives to banditry and other forms of violence in 2021.
Samuel Aruwan, the State Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, presented the report to Governor Nasir El-Rufai at the Government House Executive Council Chamber.
According to the report, 3,348 people were equally kidnapped during the period under review in different parts of the state.
Receiving the report, Governor El-Rufai said the summary showed that an average of 9 people were kidnapped in Kaduna State on daily basis, a situation which he notes is worrisome.
He, however, appealed to the federal government to establish a military theatre command in the north west to deal with banditry and other emerging security challenges in the North-West as was done in the north east region against the Boko Haram terrorists.
“The tragic events of 2021 reported today to reinforce the importance of collaboration as a security tool. Governors of five frontline states in the North-west zone and Niger State continue to share information and press for the security agencies for a sustained campaign of continuous, simultaneous operations against the terrorists across our vast region,” El-Rufai said.
“The states implemented several measures including the telecoms shutdown as recommended by the security agencies to enable kinetic operations.
“We commend our people for the sacrifices they made during the shutdown. I want to reiterate that some of the measures like the prohibition of (a) the sale of petroleum products, (b) operation of weekly markets in selected areas, and (c) use of motorcycles remain in place until we see clear progress in the fight against the terrorists.
“We are in no doubt that there must be an urgent national effort to strengthen our security forces. The military and police need modern technology, advanced armaments, equipment and more boots on the ground.
“The security of our communities depends on the robust projection of state power, and that can only be done with sufficient security personnel to overawe and deter criminals. The prerogatives of the state need to be asserted, not merely proclaimed. The people we put in uniform must never be placed in avoidable danger, outgunned or outnumbered by non-state actors.”
El-Rufai believes that the creation of such a theatre command will enable a holistic approach to counter Insurgency operations across the affected states as well as enhance coordination of the resources of the armed forces.
While reiterating the stance of the Kaduna State Government not to negotiate or grant amnesty to bandits, the governor insists that those who kill their fellow beings do not deserve to live, but should be sent to their creators by security forces.