Ten persons who were involved in motor accident along between Jigawa and Kano State have been confirmed dead.
The young men were said to have been on theor way from Gagarawa Local Government in Jigawa State to Kano State for the Nigerian Navy recruitment when the accident occurred along Ringim.
The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, SP Abdu Jinjiri who confirmed their death to Channels Television, said two others were injured and are receiving treatment at the Ringim General Hospital.
According to Jinjiri, the accident involved a trailer and a Volkswagen golf three which was carrying 12 passengers.
“There occurred a fatal motor accident along Hadejia/Kano Road in Ringim Local Government which involved a commercial golf three wagon with REG. NO AA 320 TAR JGW Conveying 12 passengers driven by one Auwalu Muhammad.” Sp Jinjiri said.
He added “the said number of occupants x on reaching Iabdullahii Masallachi area mine x he rammed into stationed daf truck x parked by one Aminu Hassan m’ age 25yrs of malam Madori LGA x after developing a mechanical fault x with registration number DUT201 x Jigawa State.
“As a result, 10 persons including the driver lost their lives while two are responding to treatment x corpses released to relatives”.
At least 19 people have been killed when a speeding car driving against traffic crashed into three others causing a huge explosion in Cairo, the Egyptian health ministry said on Monday.
The car crash happened just before midnight Sunday outside the National Cancer Institute in central Cairo and also wounded 30 people, the ministry added.
Between “three and four (of the injured) are in critical condition in the intensive care unit,” Khaled Megahed, a spokesman for the health ministry, told an early Monday news conference.
He said they suffered from “several burns of varying degrees”.
Body parts were also retrieved from the scene, he added.
Social media users posted footage of cars ablaze at the scene and of patients being evacuated from the Cancer Institute.
Egypt’s prosecutor general has ordered an investigation to determine the causes of the crash.
Deadly road accidents owing to driver error and dilapidated infrastructure are common in Egypt with over 3000 killed in more than 8400 crashes in 2018, according to official figures published earlier this year.
Two-time NBA MVP Stephen Curry escaped serious injury Friday morning after being involved in a multi-car smash while en route to the Golden State Warriors’ practice facility.
The Warriors guard was westbound on Highway 24 near Oakland at around 9 a.m. PST when his black Porsche Panamera collided with two other vehicles, damaging both the front and back end of his vehicle, US media reported.
An Oakland television station reported a California Highway Patrol spokesman as saying a car spun out on the freeway and collided with the front of the Porsche before a second car rear-ended it.
Curry’s sports car suffered major front end damaged but he was not hurt and eventually made it to the Warriors’ morning practice.
Police said the wet weather was likely a factor. There was no word on whether any of the other drivers or passengers were injured.
Curry will not play in Friday’s game against the Portland Trail Blazers as he continues to recover from an injury to his left groin.
There was no immediate word on if any charges have been laid.
A car rammed into a group of children crossing a street in front of an elementary school in northeast China on Thursday, killing five people and injuring another 18, state media said.
Police took the driver into custody and are investigating the cause of the incident in Huludao, Liaoning province, the official CCTV broadcaster said on its Weibo social media account.
Unverified videos circulating on social media appeared to show a car veering onto the wrong side of the road and plowing through the line of pupils, with the impact from the crash throwing bodies across the road.
Other gut-wrenching footage showed at least two small children lying unconscious and bleeding on the street. The screams and cries of children could be heard in the background, as onlookers milled around the scene of the collision.
Victims of the crash are undergoing medical treatment, according to CCTV. The incident happened around noon.
The ages of the victims were not released.
Police from Jianchang county in Huludao city did not immediately respond to AFP requests for comment.
Grisly car accidents are common in China, where transportation authorities have struggled to enforce safety regulations, which are often flouted or go unenforced.
According to authorities, 58,000 people were killed in traffic accidents across the country in 2015 alone.
Violations of traffic laws were blamed for nearly 90 percent of accidents that caused deaths or injuries that year.
Earlier this month, at least 13 people died when a bus plunged off a bridge in Chongqing municipality after the driver got into a fistfight with a passenger who had missed her bus stop.
Search and rescue teams dispatched more than 70 boats, as well as a team of scuba divers and underwater robots, to find the wreckage and retrieve bodies from the water.
In February, a van packed with pressurized gas tanks and petrol-filled bottles caught fire and plowed into pedestrians in Shanghai, leaving at least 18 people injured.
Authorities concluded that it had been a “traffic accident”.
But a 2013 incident was blamed on militant separatists.
Two tourists were killed at the time when a car rammed into bystanders in Beijing’s iconic Tiananmen Square before bursting into flames.
Three attackers also died in the incident, which Beijing blamed on separatists from the restive western region of Xinjiang.
And in September, 11 people died and dozens were injured when a car struck a crowd in a public square in the central Hunan province city of Hengdong.
Police detained the driver, a man in his 40s, and described him as a “vengeful repeat offender” who had daggers in his car and intended to “cause serious damage”.
British counter-terror police will lead the investigation into Tuesday’s car crash outside the UK parliament in London that injured “a number of pedestrians”, but Scotland Yard said it was still “keeping an open mind”.
“While we are keeping an open mind, the Met’s Counter-Terrorism Command is leading the investigation into the #Westminster incident,” the force said in a Twitter statement.
14 members of the same family were killed in a car crash in central Vietnam Monday en route to a wedding party, including the groom who died instantly when their van hit a container truck, police said.
Road accidents are the leading cause of death in Vietnam, where traffic laws are loosely obeyed and road infrastructure is patchy.
The victims of Monday’s car crash in Quang Nam were members of an extended family, including the groom, who were heading to the bride’s family home in a neighbouring province, a police officer told AFP.
Their 16-seater van collided with a container truck at around 2:30 am (1930 GMT Sunday), killing 13 people instantly. Another died later in hospital.
“All victims’ bodies were brought back to their home for burial. We are treating some of the injured in a local hospital,” the policeman said, requesting anonymity because he was not authorised to speak to the press.
Local authorities said Monday they were investigating the cause of the deadly crash.
Around 8,200 people died in traffic accidents across Vietnam last year, down from about 8,600 the year before. Most of those killed were on motorbikes.
Vietnam’s densely packed cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh are crowded with motorbikes and cars competing for space with pedestrians and street vendors.
Meanwhile, transport trucks increasingly line newly built highways delivering goods across Vietnam, or into neighbouring countries.
One person was killed and another seriously injured in the southern French city of Marseille on Monday after a car ploughed into people at two different bus stops, police sources, adding the suspected driver had been arrested.
The incident took place at around 9:00 am (0700 GMT), one source said, asking not to be named.
The Renault car first drove at speed towards a bus stop in the city’s 13th district, leaving one person seriously hurt, before targeting another stop in the 11th district, causing one fatality.
Julien Ravier, mayor of the 11th and 12th districts, told BFMTV news channel that the victim was a woman in her 40s who was waiting alone at the stop.
The police source said the man was in his mid-30s and was not from Marseille. Another source said the vehicle was a van.
The sources did not say whether the incident was being treated as a terror attack.
BFMTV reported that a bystander noted the registration number of the car, which the police used to trace the vehicle to the city’s Old Port district, where the suspect was arrested.
Police sealed off the port area and urged residents in a tweet to avoid the neighbourhood which is popular with tourists.
The incident comes as police across Europe search for the driver of a van that mowed down pedestrians in Barcelona last week, killing 13.
Venus Williams faces a wrongful death lawsuit from the family of a man who died in a Florida car crash involving the tennis star.
The 78-year-old man suffered “massive” fatal injuries from the June 9 collision in Palm Beach Gardens city.
According to police, Venus was at fault for the traffic accident, which caused the death of Jerome Barson.
Williams’s attorney Malcolm Cunningham, however, denied the player was at fault in the June 9 accident after media outlets, citing a police report, said she had run a red light.
Cunningham, who expressed condolences to Barson’s family, said, “Ms Williams entered the intersection on a green light. The police report estimates that Ms Williams was travelling at 5 miles per hour when Mrs Barson crashed into her. Authorities did not issue Ms Williams with any citations or traffic violations.”
The 37-year-old is due to make her 20th appearance at Wimbledon on Monday and her lawyer believes the crash would not stop her from participating.
Former world number one tennis player Venus Williams was involved in a two-car crash on June 9 at a Florida intersection that resulted in the death of a male passenger in the other vehicle, her attorney said on Thursday (June 29).
Williams’s attorney Malcolm Cunningham denied the player was at fault in the accident after media outlets, citing a police report, said she had run a red light.
“This is an unfortunate accident and Venus expresses her deepest condolences to the family who lost a loved one. I don’t have any information that indicates she is not playing Wimbledon,” he had said.
TMZ Sports, which first reported on the accident, however, said the police report claims Williams was at fault and identifies the deceased as 78-year-old Jerome Barson, who died 14 days after the accident from his injuries.
The Palm Beach County medical examiner’s website shows that a Jerome Barson died on June 22.
Williams is currently ranked number 11 in the world and seeded 10th at Wimbledon, which she has won five times.